“Lovely Holiday”

Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort
Ranked #75 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just got back from 2 Weeks at The Reef. Went on 11th of April..
The staff are all lovely,the grounds are very well kept and the rooms are large and clean.
We traveled as a couple and used the relaxation pool most of the time which is very large, yes it
is cold but with the weather as it was I was pleased..The Bar staff and the pool man were a fantastic so friendly.

The food was very varied and good.As the weather was so good we had breakfast at 7am in the sea breeze which was nice looking over the beach..

I agree slightly with the Bay View restaurant being a bit slow but if people want to eat outside then there is only a certain amount of places ,but they did seem short on waiters.

There are a lot of little things that make it nice,beach towels always available and the staff always wanting to put them on your chosen place,a safe that you dont have to pay for,two large bottles of water in your fridge each day and you get vouchers to get cans of coke etc when you want.

We had a fantastic time and after many years of travelling this is the first hotel I would go back to but would ask for a room in the same block we were in 1217.

About tipping the staff dont expect it but the best thing to do is take sterling put it in the machine in the lobby which will give you larger egyptian pounds then the reception staff will change it to small denomonations..Hard for them to change pound coins.

Enjoy it..

2  Thank hopcar
AngieHolmes, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Guests,

Many thanks for your comments, we are exceptionally grateful for your feed back, pleased the staff looked after you, you enjoyed the variety in our Restaurants and you loved the gardens in our complex.

We look forward to seeing you again hopefully soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I recently visited this hotel for a two week chill out holiday and could not fault anything. Food, facilities, and of course the weather, were amazing. All staff extremely helpful. This was our third visit and everything just gets better. We did not speak to anyone who had a bad comment and everyone said they would definitely like to return. I would certainly recommend it.

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments and we are happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have just got back from a week at this hotel and after staying at many 5* hotels before can definitely say this is not a 5* hotel in terms of service. The actual facilities are wonderful, beach is beautiful and very good for snorkelling. The many pools were all lovely however extremely cold, people rarely swam in them because they were just uncomfortable. The main pool (infinity) was supposed to be heated but wasn't, I did get told by another guest that they only heat it during the winter, not sure how true this is, but if so I think they need to review this as it was way to cold to actually go in. I think people pay enough money for them to heat one pool. The staff on the beach selling the water sports and the ones protecting the coral were lovely, always so happy and would chat to you for ages. Lovely people. I wish I could say the same for the waiters in the restaurants and the bar tenders. They would ignore you for ages, just walk straight past you. To get someone to take your drinks order or snack order was a real nightmare, and when someone finally did you'd have to wait 20 minutes to get your drinks. This really dampened the holiday as we were constantly trying to get someone's attention to serve us and when they did serve us they were often miserable and made us feel like we were an inconvenience. When we did get our drinks they would give us tiny glasses (even for soft drinks) meaning you would have to go through the whole process again soon after. The staff in 'the pub' bar were often on their mobiles instead of actually serving, and on one occasion two staff members had a vocal row in front of all of the guests and ended up slamming trays and glasses about in anger. Not a very relaxing environment to be in. The staff in the sea breeze restaurant were much the same. We had normally finished our meals before our drinks even arrived. The waiters in the a la carte restaurants were slightly better. The food in the 2 buffet restaurants was ok but sea breeze was very repetitive, pizza, pasta and salad every day which got quite boring. To be honest I felt the hotel was extremely under staffed however after reading a few reviews on here it seems this has been the case for the last 2 years!
The room was nice, not amazing but the bed was lovely and big. However I was staying with my partner, yet we were put in a family room with an extra single bed and next to the kids pool. It was not a major irritation so we didn't ask to be moved but I didn't really understand why they had put us in this area, baring in mind we booked this holiday nearly a year ago so not a last minute job. The cleaners were not good at all, dirty towels which had been left on the floor to be replaced got folded back up and put on the towel rail, the towels were poor quality also. Often our room had still not been cleaned after we got back to change for the evening (after 5pm). We left a tip on the third day to see if that would encourage the cleaner to do a better job but no change. He actually got worse and seemed to do less and less each day. We only got fresh bottled water replaced once during our stay.
When leaving we rang and asked for someone to come and pick up our cases as we were in room 6328 so very far from the hotel reception, and waited about half an hour for someone to turn up. When he did he put our cases on the golf caddy, told us they would be ready in about 10 minutes for us to put onto the coach, and drove off. I would have thought he would have offered us a ride to reception with our cases as would normally happen but apparently not.
Overall I would certainty not stay here again. For the money you pay you expect polite staff and to be served promptly. Not ignored. This is not a 5* in terms of service, more like a 3*

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Gemma N
angie h, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Gemma,

I would like to inform you we have informed all Management of each department to make sure their staff are not using their Mobile phones during our Hotels Operation. However we do have our Supervisors and Managers who are provided with phones to communicate during work with each department. We apologise you waited a long time to be served from the waiters and the bar staff, I agree this should not happen especially been ignored.

I would like to also inform you the room you had was a Superior Room which is one of our larger rooms sleeping upto 3 people, we also only allocate the rooms one day before you arrive as we are still receiving bookings last minute but im afraid we dont know guests dont want a specific area unless a request has been made. We are sorry the Housekeeper cleaned your room later each day unfortunately some of the rooms have to be cleaned last i just wish you informed us during your stay to change the time. We have spoken to our Director of House Keeping who will deal with the House Man to ensure his job is completed correctly to our Standards. Unfortunately the Concierge are unable to take guests on every occasion with your luggage as they are moving from room to room to collect others especially during the check out time but im sorry an explanation was not made by them.

Regarding the Heated Pool, The agreement has been made with all the Tour Operators only during the winter months as the outside temperature is currently 34 degrees.

We hope your comments and disappointment will not prevent you from returning to us again in the future. We hope you can give us a chance to make your next holiday more enjoyable.

Kind Regards
Management

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Whilst visiting the hotel end of March with my husband and my daughter her husband and two boys we had a problem getting a high chair for the younger child at mealtimes. It became a struggle for the first few nights asking staff to assist and when they did they brought dirty ones which we would not use. After bringing this to the attention of the Thompson male rep he reported our issues with the hotel manager. I have to say they were both excellent in what they did for us can't fault the service they provided after,I would like to thank them both on behalf oft myself and family for a lovely holiday. We will defiantly be returning again soon excellent hotel one of the best.

• Stayed: March 2013
bestofintensions01, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for choosing us and for your kind review. I do remember the incident very well and the individual involved who did not respond to your satisfaction. I do apologize once again for this isolated incident, and I'm most certainly glad that you didn't leave us with bad memories. I look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Kind regards from all of us.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

First trip to Sharm and we certainly were not disappointed. We stayed for two weeks over Easter and have already been to the travel agent to price up for Easter (2014). To answer a few queries others have raised ( in our opinion), don't be fooled by the size of this resort you do not need to use the transport put on you can walk easily and quickly around site. The bathrooms are dated but there was plenty of hot running water and clean fluffy white towels and our apartment was cleaned meticulously every day. Great family apartments with a room for the children and a room for us definitely worth the extra money. Could not fault the dedication of any staff, from cleaners to managers, Mohammed in the bay view, brilliant made every meal special, Akram at the infinity pool bar brought our drinks without even requesting them, Reda in the bay view restaurant happy and smiling every day and Reda on the beach so helpful to name just a few, we did not encounter one unfriendly member of staff. The Animation team were brilliant with the children and worked so hard throughout the day, the entertainment is not brought in it is just these guys trying their hardest to entertain us and they did a good job. The children loved them and they used to collect the children from our seats by the pool take them away for water polo, slides, sandcastle making etc etc and return them when they were finished. The grounds were immaculate. The Italian and the Kebabgy were excellent and the buffet restaurant served a great selection of food catering for everyone. Breakfast is the best meal by far, they cook to order, any style of egg they can do. Booking the Royal Tent is a must. 30 euros for the day on the beach in a wooden tent with double bed inside with a cool box with beer, wine, soft drinks and a fruit platter. The fish in the shallows swim around you in knee deep water, perfect for the young children whom will not jump of the jetty into the Abyss!! Mega day booked through Thomson was amazing, no queues, own private part of the park and brilliant slides we did not want to leave....could rave about this holiday for ever, but will stop there. If you like good quality food and service and immaculately clean surroundings with beautiful weather you will not be disappointed...The Moralee Family.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
AngieHolmes, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Mr and Mrs Moralee,

Thank you for all your positive feed back and we are pleased your recent stay with us was most enjoyable, I will inform our Management of all Departments how happy you were with our staff.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards.
From all of us.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely week at the Reef Oasis Blue Bay, which is a clean, friendly and relaxing hotel.

The hotel grounds are green and very well kept, with plenty of flowers and palm trees, which makes strolling around the resort a pleasant experience. All of the public areas are spotless, the pools are clean and the hotel is regularly sprayed with insect repellent (but still take your own).

Definitely worth a mention are the on-site shops. If you want to do a spot of shopping, you can get pretty much everything that's available elsewhere, without having to endure Naama Bay's hassle or Soho Square's 'premium quality' tat. Most of the on-site shopkeepers are charming, funny and willing to engage in conversation without trying to force you to buy something. As is the Egyptian way, haggling is essential, but was always friendly and good natured.

Our room was spacious and clean, with comfortable furniture and a very pleasant private garden. We were at the opposite end of the hotel to the lobby, but it took less than 5 minutes to walk there. As other reviews mention, the bathroom could perhaps do to be updated, but it performed all of its functions perfectly adequately. The bed was big and comfortable and the linen was good quality.

The beach is wonderful, although the sea is only accessible in a few places along the shoreline. However, the jetty gives good access to the incredibly clear and warm water. It's definitely worth taking a snorkel and mask to see the beautiful coral and colourful fish. It's also well worth taking advantage of the free trial dive offered by the diving club at 10.30 every morning. The instructors give a very quick introduction to the equipment and then take you for a brief swim, just under the surface.
In terms of beach practicalities, the sunbeds are comfortable and the parasols provide plenty of shade. The beach bar serves drinks and excellent burgers for a quick lunch.
My one complaint about the beach is the fairly frequent (2 or 3 times an hour) sales pitches by people from the Diving and Watersports centres. Perhaps it would be better if only one person from each of these patrolled the beach, which would prevent guests having to repeatedly say no to the same thing.

The food at the hotel is very good and there is a wide variety across the different restaurants. The main buffet restaurant offers a good choice for both breakfast and dinner, but with so many people to please, the food was slightly bland. In fairness, this is probably true of most buffet restaurants. The Sea Breeze buffet serves a good lunch, in nice airy surroundings and the pizzas in particular are excellent.
We had a delicious meal at the Italian restaurant, which has a decent menu of Italian classics, but does get booked up very quickly. It was frustrating to be told that the restaurant was completely booked up and then walk past a half empty restaurant later in the evening.
It was much easier to get a reservation for the seafood restaurant, but it suffers from an uninspired menu.
The best restaurant is Kebabgi, which serves a tremendous Mezze starter, followed by an Egyptian/Arabic mixed grill, all of which is delicious and spicy.

The bars serve a good range of drinks, with decent cocktail suggestions, but as many reviews have mentioned, the spirits were terrible. However, this is apparently a temporary issue. The beer was decent and the wine drinkable. The Panoramic terrace outside the Caribbean Bar is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a drink with wonderful views of the Red Sea.

My only experience of the entertainment was when I briefly visited the arena to use the toilet one evening. On stage, a woman was singing Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You', while behind her a man dressed as Father Christmas fought a man in a suit. Not my personal cup of tea, but enough people seemed to be enjoying it.

My girlfriend had a massage at the Spa, where the staff were friendly and my girlfriend assures me that the massage was brilliant. I somehow talked myself into going to the gym (which is free to use) while she had the massage and it was well equipped and modern.

The staff, on the whole, were absolutely magnificent. In every restaurant and bar we visited the service was efficient and friendly. They really seemed to care that we were having a good holiday and were very responsive to every need.
It's really unfortunate, however, that a couple of staff let the side down. On one occasion, someone from housekeeping came to our room in the late afternoon to 'bring more towels' (we had plenty) asked me to change money for him. This was completely inappropriate and felt invasive; made worse by the sneaky way he'd gone about it. We were also asked the same thing by a member of the concierge team. Guests are guests, not a money changing service. Perhaps this is something which the hotel could do for the staff in order to prevent this from happening in future.
However, I should stress that these were two isolated incidents and every other member of staff we encountered was a credit to the hotel.

Our favourite part of the hotel was the Oriental Cafe. The cafe is a wonderful place to spend evenings, with a Shisha pipe and a range of delicious beverages which are not served elsewhere in the hotel, including leaf tea and Sobiah (tastes like a vanilla mini-milk ice lolly, well worth a try). It's really nice to be able to get a tiny insight into Egyptian culture, with the Shisha and Arabic drinks. Undoubtedly, the best feature of the Cafe was Said, who gave us excellent service and was very interesting and funny, which made our evenings special. Said single-handedly runs the cafe and does an unbelievable amount of work; I seriously cannot praise him enough. If anyone from the hotel management reads this, I would appreciate if they passed on my thanks and made Said employee of the century.

Overall, the hotel represents excellent value for money. We had a great holiday at the hotel and although I have mentioned one or two negatives, they would not stop me from returning. Certainly, I would thoroughly recommend the hotel and thank the staff for helping us to have an excellent trip.

1  Thank JMK90

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your feed back for your recent stay with us. I have give all your comments to the relevant departments especially about the staff who provided excellent service.

I apologise the House Keeping staff were asking to change money with you we do allow the concierge to do this as they work along side our Front Desk who occasionally struggle to provide change for the guests when paying for room bills or late check outs. The pound coins we have are not accepted anywhere in Egypt and this is why we try to change them with some guests as the staff receieve alot of them in tips, I will inform the House Keeping Director to prevent this from happening again.

We unfortunately are only able to allow a certain number inside our Ala Carte Restaurants on each 30 minute sitting as we provide a 4 course meal so the average amount of time to enjoy your meal is approximately 1 hr and 30 minutes so normally this over laps another sitting we however do have many tables and chairs which are empty but to provide the best service from the staff we also need to keep the numbers to a maximun and also we only have 4 chefs to cater for everyone.

We understand we are currently having a problem with the spirits provided by our supplier at the moment and we cant receive the normal brands so we are trying to find another quality which was unfortunately unreachable in the market during the time of your holiday.We hope the points you have mentioned will not prevent you from returning again.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just spent a fantastic 2 weeks over easter at the ROBB. I travelled with my wife and 9 year old son. Having visited Sharm 12 times prior--we really can say this is the best by far!! and yes--we have stayed at other nice hotels, including sensatori--none can match the Reef Oasis, it really has something for everyone.

I will try not to bore you--just read a few reviews and you'll get the picture--great food, exceptional service, brillaint snorkelling, well equipped gym everywhere incredibly clean etc etc

So what can I say that will make this a stand out review?

I will tell you just 3 things--1) hire a ROYAL TENT. 30 euros buys you a royal tent for the day--a gazebo like structure at the executive end of the beach complete with a cool box of wine beer and soft drinks. very private and peaceful. there's a queen size bed inside and sun loungers out front. sun and shade-best of both worlds!

2) EARLY MORNING SNORKEL book through dive centre--25 euros each-travel in a speed boat to the near garden reef at 6.30am -totally unspoilt coral when the fish are feeding. we saw blue spotted rays, a giant napoleon fish and even a turtle !.

3) I took my son go karting to the Gibli race track. we booked it through Thomson. It was very safe and professional. you get a full briefing and overalls are included. 5 practice laps followed by a 10 lap race. cost £35 including pick up and drop off-photo disc and dvd extra. really great fun. Go late afternoon when it's a bit cooler

We have booked to go back at xmas and also next easter. ROBB is a bit more expensive than most of the other hotels-but I promise you it's money well spent

on the last day when we were waiting for our coach the general manager stopped and spoke to us about our holiday experience. He should be very proud of his staff and hotel.

check it out

and don't pinch my Royal Tent!

Room Tip: book early for the a la carte restaurants.