I’m finding it a little difficult to write this review as in my opinion there was nothing particularly good nor particularly bad about the hotel, if that makes sense?! However here we go….
The pre-arranged airport collection worked and was worth the LE195, although this mysteriously reduced to LE135 on the return journey! On arrival we had a very ‘standard’ check-in with no information given verbally – just the usual wallet with what you need to know. For a hotel professing to be in the Top 5 in Sharm I was a little surprised to receive such a mediocre welcome that was certainly well below the standard of others.
The Executive room (described as a ‘Suite’ by Thomson) was good with plenty of space and lacked nothing. Comfy bed, large wardrobe with hangers, loads of drawers, a dressing table, sofa, aircon, balcony etc etc etc. A tip when using the fridge – leave the cupboard doors open to make it work, otherwise the heat builds up making it useless.
The food in my opinion was slightly disappointing - the choice seemed quite limited and much of it a little bland. I will say however that we did NOT eat in the main Bay View with the themed nights etc, and these were very good according to others. (We chose to eat out a couple of times – avoid the Mexican Bar & Restaurant in Naama Bay – ugh!).
Of particular note was the Kababgi restaurant where we experienced possibly the driest food & worst service ever. The first visit (yes, we went back!) produced a good selection of starters that accompanied being almost completely ignored. The 2nd try resulted in a reduced number of starters and equally poor service. We did query why the food was less and was told ‘it had finished’ due to the time……..one & a half hours before closing. Another couple also complained about the service and were met with a barrage of defensive comments rather than any form of apology.
In complete contrast was our last night meal at Al Dente – the Italian restaurant. In a word, faultless. Fabulous food, great atmosphere with live music and service beyond description from the Manager/Supervisor Ahmed. Despite doing the work of 3 people he smiled throughout, chatted briefly and kept the water, wine & food coming without the merest hint of a delay. If anyone from the hotel reads this – please give this guy another member of staff and ease his workload - he really is a credit to you. Why not have these standards across the whole hotel??
The breakfast is good and the Fishermans Restaurant nice & quiet. The layout for lunch in the Sea Breeze needs attention as it’s a school-dinner-one-line system which causes delays. Individual islands would be far better.
The beach is good although the area reserved for Executive rooms is a bit too far when you need a drink or the loo. The entertainment staff do a great job and are not overbearing when asking for interaction plus their evening shows are actually pretty good!
A warning about the on-site shops: they are VERY expensive – around treble the price of those in town. The guy who sells the newspapers is particularly irritating as he charges as much as possibly can. You can see him thinking of a number as you ask the price, so be prepared to pay a fiver for your daily read. The shops are charged a high rent by the hotel so need to recoup this somehow, and this is via tourists.
Overall I don’t see why this hotel is so expensive (via Thomson) when compared to others. It really doesn’t offer anything outstanding and seems somewhat ‘rough around the edges’. The staff (as usual in Egypt) make the place whilst the plethora of ignorant Russians break the place!
My first trip to Egypt was to the Sofitel in Taba which was less expensive and far better. I cannot help but use that hotel as the benchmark and hope one day that something matches it. Sadly, I doubt the Reef Oasis Blue Bay ever will….
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort and Spa is one of the most beautiful resorts of Sharm El Sheikh with the magnificent views of the Sinai Mountains hidden amongst the colorful shades of the desert. The Hotel is overlooking the famous Red Sea with clear crystal blue waters and beautiful corals with the most amazing colored tropical fish. Our highly experienced trained staff and Management Team are available 24 hrs with extended knowledge of the resort and qualified to provide our Guests with the most professional and exceptional service. Our Priority is you at all times during the day and night to help make the most of an excellent and enjoyable holiday. We have a wide range of facilities including a 24hr bar serving drinks and snacks, a beautiful Panorama Terrace to capture the most amazing sunset views for those perfect kodak moments to save a lifetime of memories. We have many Swimming pools to meet everyone's tastes, have fun in the sun with the family's at the leisure pool or relax reading a book chilling by our adults pool at the Relax we have it for all ages. Teens hangout room including play stations, games machines, air hockey and billiards or join in the activities with the Animation Team. Treat your self with one of our Royal Tents with complete privacy, waiter service, direct access to the sea for relax time including drinks, fruit for a small additional charge or lounge on your sun bed at the beach at your leisure with 350 m of sand and try our snorkeling from the jetty to spot little Nemo with a trained instructor the choice is yours. If you would like to make your stay extra special we have many other room types to upgrade, our Honeymoon Suite being the most popular choice and highest category. This option is by far the best choice and we can guarantee you won't be disappointed, pure luxury with direct sea view, the moon the stars the sunset all in one. Your very on private double jacuzzi, separate living room, walk in wardrobe, marble bathroom, DVD player with surround sound and wifi with many other benefits included. All for a small supplement. Easy access to the other resort areas to visit during your stay by taxi or shuttle you will be anywhere in a short time to grab your bargains shop till you drop or chill in one of the famous shisha cafes we can direct you. Upload your memorable photos on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram whilst enjoying your holiday with our new extended wifi or Skype your friends at home to show them the wonderful Hotel your staying in now available in various areas of the Hotel free of charge. If you fell active during your stay why not try a discover scuba dive or complete your padi and become a certified diver with our very own dive centre on the beach or get active in our amazing gym and learn all the exercises with a trained and qualified fitness instructor ,. If you prefer to pamper your self relax in our steam room or sauna free of charge. Don't forget to reserve your Ala Carte Restaurants with our Guest Relation Team who are available in the lobby to make your dining experience the most enjoyable one, sample our tasty delicious 4. Course meal with complete tranquility in our La Romantique Restaurant special offers apply. We are truly confident by choosing the Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort and Spa you will not be disappointed. If you have any further questions or queries we would love to hear from you. We look forward to welcoming our Guests soon. Management. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Oasis Blue Bay Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
- Hotel Reef Oasis Blue Bay