“Our Trip to the Reef..”

Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort
Ranked #79 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I, plus my sister-in-law stayed at ROBB w/c 15 October.

I emailed the hotel about 2-3 weeks before our arrival requesting rooms as close together as possible and on high floors. On arrival we given rooms on the top floor in Block 5, next door to each other and having our own separate "porch". We were overlooking the pathway through the blocks which was nice as opposed to overlooking the service road.

The rooms were nice and big, bathrooms could use a refurb but overall happy with the standard.

We weren't too impressed with the buffet on the first night, it just didn't do it for us although presentation wise and choices were vast. We ate at Kebabgi the second night - what a beautiful setting by the pool - but as it appeared to be set menu and I'm vegetarian we didn't visit again. After the first two nights we opted to eat at the Italian for the remainder of our stay - the food here was wonderful - best bruschetta we've ever had! The service was excellent in the Italian, the waiters were so friendly.

It was my birthday whilst we were away and the waiters in the Italian sang happy birthday and presented me with a cake which was a nice gesture.

I thought the facilities at the hotel were good, a lovely relax pool for total peace and quiet; infinity pool for a little more liveliness; a kids pool towards the back of the resort with the water slides and music. Even though we didn't have kids with us, my husband had a couple of go's on the water slide - this part of the complex was brilliant for kids and families alike.

We didn't go on the beach as such as it was so hot, we needed to be close to the pool to cool off. Getting into the sea would have been tricky due to the coral. The beach is great however.

My husband and I didn't get ill but my sister in law had tummy troubles for 4 days. I would just say, if you get the slightest hint of any problems, go to the Pharmacy on-site and they will give you tablets to stop it immediately. I think they charged approx £12 but it was well worth the money and the Pharmacist was excellent.

The majority of the staff at the hotel couldn't do enough for you and were absolutely lovely but we did encounter one or two staff who were totally the opposite - one being at the Horizon Bar.

Flights out were good, we flew from East Mids - no tv etc but we didn't have issue with that. Weather was on the whole pretty good although the humidity appeared to be through the roof and we had 3 days of cloud.

Overall, a good hotel, didn't quite meet my high expectations but I would definitely return. A very relaxing week which was badly needed.

Room Tip: Email the hotel about 2 weeks before you travel with your room preference.
1  Thank smithy_8
Shehab M, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear Valued guest,
Thank you for you kind comments, we do appreciate your feedback either way, It is the only way for us to improve. We are delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable. We all look forward to have you back in the nearest future. Kind Regards from all of us

There are newer reviews for Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have just returned from a fantastic 11 day holiday. Having visited Egypt many times this hotel has to be the best! Restaurants, food, drink & service all first rate. The Hotel should be congratulated - "all inclusive" really means "all inclusive.

BE WARNED - unfortunately, our holiday was spoilt by an incident at the Airport. Our son travelled home on Sunday night. We weighed his baggage at the hotel and he was returning with less weight than his arrival from Birmingham the previous week. He also had his free 5kg Diving allowance. He checked in and his baggage was taken - he was then told he had to pay 600 Egyptian pounds for excess baggage. His passport was taken and he was escorted to a cashpoint to withdraw the money. At this point he called us on our mobile. We told him not to pay and we contacted the Thomson helpline. No Thomson staff are available in the airport. Eventually, they agreed to take 360 Egyptian pounds and my son insisted on a receipt. He was extremely intimidated! We were very upset and complained to the Thomson Rep at the Hotel the following day - he was adamant this was not a Thomson matter and the problem was with the airport. We explained our contract was with Thomsons and they have a duty of care to their holiday makers. To add insult to injury my son's bag did not arrive at Birmingham and has still not arrived! Yet again Thomson are not taking any responsibility. We flew home on Monday night - no baggage was weighed at all!

3  Thank Coventry_Tracey747

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments and for spending your holidays with us. It is obvious that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we did taking care of you. We are indeed delighted.
We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Warm regards from all of us

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just returned from R.O.BB all in all I can say it was a lovely holiday. The staff cannot do enough for you.Many thanks to Hayham a lovely man, who does door and luggage duties, but he is always ready to help out anyway he can. Our Thompson reps were great, we did have two small complaints, they sorted them. Well done lads. The hotel,rooms,beach everywhere is kept clean and tidy.
We did have an upgraded room over looking the fun pool. We did only book the holiday a week before arrival and My first thought was that we would get a lot of noise as it was school half term, but even with there being a lot of children there, it was fine.Entertainment was low key, but you do find that in a lot of resorts.This was our first trip to Egypt. Mexico,Dom. Republic is our usual choice,so I cannot compare with other hotels in Egypt.If I was asked what could improve this resort the only things would be to have an extended menu in the main dining rooms. There was a good choice but it was very same same each day The rooms to be updated as they are not up to the same standard as other upgraded rooms we have paid for, but again It did not spoil our holiday in anyway and with nothing else to compare with my be I am being a little harsh.
There is not a lot of space at the beach for swimming as the coral reef has to be protected,but for diving ect its great .
I did pick up a bug while I was there. If you go, dont expect our tummy tablets to work ,go to the chemist in the resort market. I used my own for 2-3 days nothing worked, they can sort you out no problem.
This is a well run hotel, clean, tidy with lovely people who will do anything to make sure you have a good holiday.

Room Tip: upgrades are worth it.Low numbed rooms are near to main lobby and beach and food and bars.
2  Thank anniek60

Dear Guest,
We wish to take the opportunity and thank you for spending your holiday with us and for your kind comments. We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Kind Regards from all of us

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Reef Oasis - 2 adults, 2 children and their grandmother. We found the accommodation, food and facilities of an excellent standard and would have no hesitation in returning. The staff are all so firendly and go out of their way to help you. Strangely it is probably the Reception staff who are the most reserved and least likely to go that extra mile. Little niggles such as my mother-in-law (who is in a wheelchair) handing a postcard in and asking for it to be stamped and posted - a service which most hotels would normally oblige with and being asked to take laundry back to her room and dial a number for service rather than offering to help. This is really minor and hardly worth mentioing, but is just a tip on how the hotel could be even better.

The best recommendation I am now happy to share is to anyone with a motorised wheelchair. Before we travelled we couldn't really see how 'wheelchair friendly' the hotel was - it is not mentioned on their website and Thompson's really didn't have a clue! This is a real shame as the accessibility at this hotel is second to none. I can honestly say my mother-in-law is very well travelled and has rarely enjoyed such freedom. She went everywhere - the beach, the relax pool, every Restaurant, every toilet, every bar and her room was specially modified for her needs. This is a huge asset that the hotel has and it should really make the tour companies aware of this. Well done.

Thank you to all the staff and management and we hope to see you next year.

Room Tip: Try and get close to the main entrance. rooms '1000' as we found these to be ideally placed.
3  Thank Richard H
Shehab M, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Booked with Thompson, October 2012, Superior room. If we were to go back to Sharm we would try somewhere else for a change of scenery, but would not hesitate to recommend ROBB to others.

Agree with all the other positive comments on here. Haven't stayed elsewhere in Sharm so nothing to compare to. Few pointers:
- whole hotel is all inclusive, so makes it far simpler - no wrist bands etc., and not having to work out at what times you can get free drinks
- Superior room plenty big enough - bathroom a bit tired and needed cleaning a bit better (just marks on walls rather than dirty toilet etc.), but more than adequate
- room was near the top end (gate) but was no more than a 5min walk to the main area. We took the distance as a positive - meant resort was more spread out, peaceful, and more gardens
- staff generally all fantastic, always smiling, even cleaners and gardeners will say hello
- excellent pools - while many will put their towels down early, there are always loungers free, just not in the best spots
- excellent food. Some have said bland, but it has to cater for many different tastes and nationalities, and a great selection. Back for seconds far too often, just to be able to sample everything! For those that do complain, bear in mind that the food never runs out, so how much do they have to throw away? Check you conscience.
- Grill restaurant is a set meal, and service a bit slow. Fish restaurant excellent, Italian fairly standard fare. Lunchtime restaurant overlooking beach - similar good range of food to evening restaurant but just more limited due to size - no complaints and rarely a wait for a table
- evening entertainment was cringeworthy, but we didn't have kids to keep entertained!
- can barter at the small shops selling gifts, watches etc, but will get far better value on a trip to the market (if you can put up with being hassled by shopkeepers, but that's all part of the culture so get involved and keep smiling)
- worth spending a little extra for a VIP boat trip (5hr cruise, with snorkelling and lunch)
- quad biking a little tame for me, but GF really enjoyed it.

There are a lot of construction sites in the area as Sharm continues to grow, but many of them are inactive as the developers left during the 'revolution', and have yet to return.

Room Tip: Worth an upgrade from standard room, and away from evening entertainment area if possible. Don'...
1  Thank ijgi

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience while visiting our resort. We are indeed delighted that you've enjoyed your holiday with us. We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future, Warm Regards from all of us

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just back from a two week stint. Food at ROBB comes in as one of the best all-inclusives that I have visited. This may reflect the need to satisfy to a very broad international client base comprising mostly English, Northern Europeans (mainly Dutch and Germans), Russians and some Middle Easterners. Barring Saturday nights, which are a little bland, every night you can usually choose from a very wide and tasty variety of European, Indian and Oriental meat and fish dishes in the “Bay View” buffet restaurant where I ate most nights. There’s also lots of vegetables, many different fresh breads and a myriad cakes and puddings including, once a week, platters of delicious sticky Middle Eastern delights. Cheese is limited to Cheddar, Gouda and Feta. My glass was always promptly filled. Service was friendly. I liked the local chilled Rose wine and but the Red wine tasted more like grape juice. The Local lager Beer was quite acceptable. Lunch in the restaurants is a much duller affair compared with supper. This is probably because most people want to stay in the sun over lunch and thus eat light. Sandwiches in the poolside bars were excellent. My wife had stomach problems for a few days. I did not. As I ate and drank everything she did and much more besides, I put this down to a sensitive stomach (or the curative power of alcohol given that she is a teetotaler!). She purchased Euro 16 worth of medicine in the hotel’s pharmacy and was better in 36 hours. While I did a bit of snorkeling, she unwound by the adult only Relax pool which is a very large oasis of peace and calm in the centre of the complex (see room map), and which, she maintains, is the hotel’s winning feature. There are plenty of other pools for kids. I was told by snorkeling veterans that the coral reef in front of the hotel is one of the best in Sharm and there certainly were a vast variety tropical fish to be seen. Once the novelty of the reef wore off, however, we both began to miss a long sandy beaches which one can walk or paddle along. The artificial beach with its “tiny beachlets” wasn’t quite the same thing. Still, I’m told that that’s the trade off for having a coral reef on your doorstep!

Some quick observations. All the staff smiled a lot, were friendly and helpful. The guests were all well behaved. The gardens are very large and very well kept. The little open air bus (Tuf tuf) which saves people having to walk everywhere is good fun. The structure is not new and so it needs the odd lick of paint or bit of maintenance here and there. Same applies to the rooms though room service was good. Standard rooms are cramped and distant from the hotel/restaurants but near the main entrance outside of which are tennis/volley ball courts and a "ripe" water/waste treatment plant. We were assigned a standard room in the 5000s looking out on a road and brick wall. We immediately upgraded to a superior overlooking the gardens. The extra space and better location more than justified the additional charge. In Europe ROBB would rank as a four star resort and as such represents good value for money.

Room Tip: As rule of thumb room numbers below 5000 have far better locations than those above. First floor roo...
2  Thank KnightsbridgeExPat
Shehab M, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments, we do appreciate it and we are delighted that your holiday was enjoyable, I will personally pass your compliments to all involved, we thank you once again and look forward to welcome you back to our resort in the nearest future. Warm regards from all of us.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I hardly ever write reviews but we have just returned from a week at the ROBB we will never forget! We went as a group, myself, my friend and our 6 children aged from 9 to 17. The hotel was lovely, weather incredible, staff couldn't have been more attentive, food and drink...was ok! The animation team though were out of this world! They put on a show every night which ordinarily wouldn't be my cup of tea but they were just incredible. Most of the team were from Italy and they were amazing, we laughed until we were weak every night! The host I think was called Emilio and he should have his own show!

1  Thank LCB68