“Great people to dive with !”

Oonas Dive Club Hotel
Ranked #83 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Back to Oonas in Sharm for the 2nd time, right away you know it's going to be a great experience as I was met on entering the airport by Ahmed, who I remembered from my 1st visit, he called me Mike right away, knew I was on a winner,super young guy who had already bought my visa for me and was ready to transfer me to the hotel, excellent, NO waiting around ! The rooms at the small hotel are spacious enough for a solo traveller like me, but could be a little small for 2 adults or a family. Furnishings are basic, beds are a bit too hard for my liking, saying that, the beds had fresh linen EVERY day, and the rooms were spotless ! The restaurant on the ground floor is roomy enough for all guests, with basic dishes at a reasonable price. The staff are great, especially the BIG guy I gabbed with every day. We talked about the state of political issues affecting Egypt at present, the Muslim religion, ALL sorts of stuff, nice way to while away the evening. The dive centre is ON THE BALL ! I went to register early on my 1st day there, and was greeted with a very cheery ' Hi Mike ' nice to see you again ! Made my day ! The gang there are superb, VERY professional, but at the same time real earthy folks ! Nothing was too much trouble for them, and no sooner had I registered than my kit was whisked away to be transported down to our boat ' Hooligan ' in the marina. Intimate numbers in the group saw we were all individually treated to a great fun experience. The guides, ' Rachy Sweetpea ', ' Amy Pet Lamb ' and ' Pete Mate ' always had our wellbeing and enjoyment as paramount in their job. The dive sites were not very busy, and the timing of the dives ensured we pretty much had the sites almost solely for ourselves ! Weather was fab, 32 every day, water 23 every day, gentle breeze most of the time to cool us. Best part of the day ( apart from the diving ) was ' beer 'o clock ' ! None of the team abandoned their guests after the day of diving, they all got stuck in to make sure we had a great time, and we DID ! Would I go back again ? HELL YES ! There's a group of us planning a return in September to do it all again, can't wait ! Thanks Corrie & Nick for a great place with great people !

Room Tip: Any room is ok, they all have a sea view, 2 am noise from the beach bar was an issue for a few days...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 12 days traveling around Egypt and decided to take a break from all the temple-hopping with 3 days in Sharm El Sheikh. We only wanted to dive one day while we were in Sharm and Oonas allowed us to do so (many other dive centers required a "check-out dive" to be done the day before). My boyfriend is a pro but I, on the other hand, am a rather novice diver so for me it is important that the staff make me feel comfortable and safe, which Oonas definitely did. I found the staff to be friendly, helpful, and very accommodating to my level of diving. We arrived at the dive shop early in the morning and were fitted for gear. We then took a bus/van to the docks, loaded on the boat and went for 2 dives on some reefs off the coast of Sharm. The dive leader briefed us on our route before getting into the water and stayed in constant view and contact with us throughout the dive. We broke for lunch between both dives, which was really tasty, and spring water was available throughout the trip. I decided to skip the second dive and nap on the sundeck because, truth be told, I was not impressed with the reef. I have been diving on the Israeli side of the Red Sea and found my previous experience to be much more exciting- the colors seemed more vibrant and the reef itself seemed more full of life, but that has nothing to do with Oonas. If we ever return to Sharm, we will definitely dive with Oonas again, but most likely will choose to dive a wreck instead of a reef.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed in the Oonas dive center hotel for 4 nights
The staff at the hotel was super helpful & friendly
The rooms were cleaned every day
The food at the Resturant was very good
However on the other side the staff at the dive center were quite uptight & inflexible.
I wanted to do a 2dive program while they had packages for 3 days.
So as they 'couldn't' alter a deal for me.
I went to a local dive club in nehma bay that offered a superb service for a much cheaper price.
This resulted in having the staff in the dive club to act quite strangely with me for the rest of my stay.
If you are looking for a dive club that has cool positive vibes with friendly staff that are willing to go out of their way to meet your expectations then probably Oonas dive club wouldn't be your best pick.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Raed81
Oonasdiveclub, Manager at Oonas Dive Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Raed81,

Thank you for your review of Oonas Dive Club we are very glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel but we are sorry if you felt the dive centre was "inflexible and uptight". We do have special packages for 3 or more days of diving and we also offer discounts for daily diving especially if you are staying in our hotel. I am sorry that you were not happy with the maximum discount that we offered you but our prices and discounts were explained and we simply could not drop them to the level that you wanted.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed at Oonas loads of times and had some wonderful diving experiences, but one incident stands out. I had a dodgy tum one day, and was chilling in my room, listening to some music. Became aware of the phone ringing, it was Corri (co-manager of the Dive Centre) "Have you got plenty of water?" "Yes, Corri" "Rehydration salts?" "Yes, Corri" "Medication?" "Yes, Corri" "We'll, if you need anything, give us a ring and one of the staff will nip down to the pharmacy for you"
I've stayed in most of the best 5 star hotels in Naama, and found great service in all of them, but nowhere else will you find the genuine personal concern that I have found at Oonas. Will be back for 3weeks in April, and again in October. If it ain't broke, it don't need fixing.

Room Tip: Rooms nearest the sea (low numbers) have best views, furthest from sea are the most quiet. All room...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank hotglove
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Wonderful staff, Great food, Awesome dive boats, and Long bottom time. I have no complaints whatsoever.. We seen tons of sealife including many Turtles, Giant eels, spanish dancers, the Extremely rare Guitar fish, rays, and octopus. Thanks for Everything Tj and Val

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I spent a week diving with Oonas Dive Club at the end of February - this was our third visit and we had another fantastic week. I can't recommend these guys and girls enough - they do their best to ensure you have a fantastic time from safety to bearing in mind which dive sites you have visited and doing their best to visit new-to-you sites. We always make new friends, their boat & crew of Obiwan looked after you - they can't do enough for you - help whilst getting ready to dive and when you return to the boat after your dive and lovely lunch and something to eat after your afternoon dive - often a home cooked cake - yummy!
We also stay at the Oonas Dive Club Hotel which is just what you need - hot water, clean and comfy beds to re-energize for the next days diving!!!
Thanks to Pete & Alex for guiding us - way to go for organising the dolphins and sting rays & look forward to seeing you in July (-:
I can't recommend Oonas Dive Club enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2013

First time in Sharm and travelling solo but any apprehensions immediately swept away by helpful e mails from dive club manager Nick answering all my initial queries and welcoming and helpful hotel staff whisking my luggage up to my room while I joined the divers on my first morning. All diving well organised and personalised to suit experience levels and interests of divers.

Superb boat and crew serving up an excellent lunch buffet and fresh baked cake and always around to zip me into and out of my wetsuit and help haul my wobbly legs and gear back onto boat following dives. Dive guide Alex looked after me well with my initial buoyancy and sinus problems, adhering to correct safety procedures but making all my dives relaxed and fun and enjoyable and pointing out easily overlooked nudibranchs and a whole cast of Nemo's mates. Dive guide Pete took a larger group of us diving at Ras Mohammed Park, skillfully and unintrusively monitoring our air consumption to allow us light breathing ladies to have maximum dive time.We were joined by a pod of rare Risso dolphins and infants on the surface and another pod of bottlenose dolphins underwater and Pete and the boat crew gave us plenty of time to photograph them.

Return to the hotel was very sociable with everyone meeting at the hotel bar and restaurant to swap dive stories and pick up the Wi Fi signal to post photos and chat. Hotel room was clean and comfortable with friendly and helpful staff on hand to change over beach towels, hand out WiFi codes and watch over the property day and night. Hotel ideally located at the quiet end of the promenade at Naama Bay, access to a small beach if needed and a fab Indian terrace restaurant overlooking the whole Bay up at the adjacent Swiss hotel. Highly recommended all round and felt safe at all times.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo