“Best holiday I have ever had”
Review of Otium Hotel Golden

Otium Hotel Golden
Ranked #138 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed September 27, 2011

The hotel was fantastic overall. The rooms were nice, we didn't have much of a view but it didn't matter as we didn't spend much time in there. Both pools were great. One with a bar in so that was great. Spent most afternoons just chilling out in the pool. The weather was brilliant and even late at night it was still hot. The food was fab. They had a great choice every meal and a grill with something different every night. The puddings were all great aswell. The same waiter served us the whole time. He had drinks waiting for us and saved us a nice table at lunch. He was 5* service. I would say the only thing that let the hotel down was the entertainment they only really did stuff for the Russians. But everyone seemed to be friendly. All in all the holiday was fantastic, great value for money and would love to go back.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank annieNorthEngland

Reviewed March 10, 2011

It was kind of Italian style holiday. A bit noisy, a bit crazy, with lots of Italian food.
I liked this hotel's style - it was friendly and cosy. Same waiter showing me to the table and bringing wine for my dinner every day. Same barman offering coffee in the afternoon. Same pool guy providing fresh towel. Excellent world music by the front pool.

Guests are mostly Russian and Italian. Not everybody likes their style. But once you get used to somewhat noisy animation stuff, it is not bad.

Initially I got a room with a rather nasty view. But I asked reception desk clerk (Adel) to change it - and I got a room with a big balcony and a view over the sea. And the room was huge. I loved it! (Can I, please, get the same room next time?)

Foooood.... I especially enjoyed Egyptian night dinner in the hotel - we got rice with lentils, peas, and - as usual - freshly baked kind of bread. Not to mention lots of vegetables (I got crazy about zucchini) Yumm....

All staff members were kind and polite. Some guests must have seemed really annoying (eg drunk Russians and Poles) but I could see not a single sign of rudeness from the staff. Patient guys.

The beach of the hotel is located some 400m from the hotel. Which was really good - I had a chance to move a little between sessions of eating. But if you are super lazy - you can also have a lift by hotel bus (it's free). Also, free bus to Naama Bay (if you're looking for a night life).

To sum up - it was excellent. I want it again!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank aggie_dravid
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We booked a late holday to Egypt mainly for the Winter sun! First time All Inclusive so i was a bit concerned about the quality the of food, but it was lovely and we got 6 nights All Incluive with flights from Newcastle for only £350.00 per person. Ok so it wasn't 5 star but people forgot it's Egypt. The service was great and the hotel staff were very attentive. Looking to go back to this hotel in November this year, cheap gettaway for the beautiful sunshine!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank s800phe
Reviewed February 13, 2011

This hotel almost ruined our holiday, we signed up to a second diving course so that we didn't have to spend more than 1 full day in the hotel.

Before you read the rest, we did do this on a budget and were not expecting any luxury, so not just being fussy.

The biggest issue was the room, ours was facing the main pool on the ground floor. Something stopped working everyday for the week we were there, including the toilets, lights and on many occasions, the lock on the balcony door.

Each time we had a fault we had to go to reception, who were not very friendly. About 50% of time someone turned up to fix our problems.

Also we had a problem with ants, they sprayed the room with poison most days but the ants just keep coming.

The cleaner was ok but never cleaned the shower, dirty shower curtain and hair from previous guests.

Noise is an issue, even with earplugs as you will feel the bass till about 2-3am every night from the pool. Cheesy Italian entertainment, nothing English. Italians don't have the best taste in music. (they also don't understand queuing or holding doors, but that is just a cultural difference).

All inclusive drinks are ok, just the usual. Only problem is no diet drinks so you don't want too many.

Food is average (although I did have a juicy Caterpillar in my salad), but the snacks are very poor. Do eat at the poolside restaurant (booking required) as the food is slightly better.

You can get a shuttle bus to Naama Bay but it may not bring you back. We got stranded there, and all the hotel staff said, after we managed to get a local bus then a taxi home was that, was that 'sometimes the police don't let them stop there' - would have been nice to know that before leaving.

Is in walking distance of a local shopping arcade, although most the stuff is more expensive than the uk. McDonalds is actually worth a visit though as they do a 'double big mac'. Apparently other hotel guests said they would deliver to the hotel (shows how popular the hotel food was).

If your on an Italian 18-30's then you might be ok, otherwise go elsewhere!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trojo22
Reviewed February 4, 2011

This is a late review but a review none the less.
We stayed at the hotel in October 2010, when we arrived and were shown to our room, we discovered there was no lock on the balcony doors - we were ground floor. We asked to be moved and were told we had to wait for the manager. Staff seemed to be reluctant to let us speak to the manager. We moved rooms again - ground floor - same thing - no lock. By this time we were fed up and were told the manager wasnt here until 6 - after storing our luggage in the luggage room all day (this was now our 2nd day) we returned at 6 to speak to the manager, and were brushed off by another member of staff..again. My parter then demanded to speak to the manager and raised his voice - then out pops the manager from the room behind the counter. We went inside and sat down and the manager refused to look us in the eye. We told him after 2 days of going back and forth we were angry that no one tried to help us and kept fobbing us off, then we demanded a pool side room for the inconvenience. We got it, and could then enjoy our holiday.
Food wasnt great and i was also ill from the food - some of which was undercooked. Spirits do taste like industrial paint stripper, the wine is okay, the beer isnt bad. Apart from the odd unhelpful staff member, the barman in the outside bar and one of the bell boys in particular were very friendly and very much warmed to us.
Entertainment is zero unless you are russian or italian - animation know what nationality you are depending on the colour of your all inclusive wristband. None of the animation team spoke to us until we mentioned out loud as one walked past - then strangely - they wanted to involve us.
We met one other english couple at our hotel who we often sat with by the pool. Russians and Italians dominate the hotel as the Shores group is apparently owned by an italian. We found them rude, i would often open doors for people or hold them open out of courtesty - only to be gruned at.

Barter with everything - taxis mostly, they will rip you off. I would go to Shores Amphoras and try thier fish restaurant, (we often sneaked over to Amphoras - this hotel is lovely - animation team - excellent - they love the english and quite often favoured us as we took part in the entertainment.)

We made it quite clear to the manager that we were not goin to be taken for a ride and after this - their attitude changed, he even came to see us off and shook our hands. Overall we enjoyed our stay the weather was great and there is a lot to see, afew of the staff really made our holiday - other than that i would suggest another hotel until mangement decide to wise up.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Odds0x
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We arrived here on 22nd December for Christmas and New Year, and i have to say i had the best 10 days of my life!
The hotel was lovely, the food very tasty, (im a fussy eater) and was pleasantly surprised.
Rooms were spotless, maybe we just hit it lucky? The only downside was the mosquittos, but you have to expect this in a hot country, we sprayed our room liberally with a mosquitto repellent every night before we went out for dinner as they were very active after dusk, however it didnt stop us being bitten sitting by the pool after dinner, i needed medical treatment.....an injection, anti-histamines and ointment.!
The staff were very friendly, well mannered and helpful, a small "tip" ensured we had a table reserved every night in the restaurant from the begining of our holiday to the end.
New Years Eve was wonderful, the "hotel management" pushed the boat out, to an extent that "wine" was provided free of charge, and even the "cocktails" had alcohol in them, the Christmas Eve ones were just fruit juice, the only drawback was the "alcohol" strength in the spirits, it was very weak, my partner however enjoyed the brandy, the beer i tended to stick with, but we didnt do much drinking as we were in bed by 11 o clock to ensure we got as much sunshine and heat during the days as it was the "winter" technically, and as such the sun was set by 4.30-5 o clock, u will need a light cardigan for evenings as it did get nippy. I would definitly return to this hotel, perhaps we were 2 of the lucky ones, as a couple we met there, were not impressed with the place.
Its true to say, its full of Russians/Italians, we found them rude especially at mealtimes, they tended to push in, but once made to realise that it wasnt just them waiting for food, they tended to be more civilised about it, its also true, it is "out of the way", but we wanted a quiet relaxing holiday, Namma Bay proved to us we made the right choice plumping for a quiet hotel! And for those of you that want to go, a taxi ride from the "hotels taxi service", will ensure you get there and he will return for you if you pre-arrange a pick up time. I would return to this hotel as we found the staff very friendly and helpfull

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank roisin22
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We visited Shores Golden in Jul/Aug 2010 and at first we were pleasantly suprised! The pool area looked nice and our room was nice and clean, but then we did arrive at night.
We dont go on holiday looking to complain so this is a very fair review. The hotel is quite out of the way, and you need to get a taxi if you want to get anywhere, if you just want a poolside holiday then thats great,but we wanted to see a few people every now and then!
The hotel is FULL of Italians and russians, and when i say full id say 98%, and the 2% us Brits, who stick together!Thankgod!!! I have nothing against other nationalities but they were rude and the entertainment was geared up for them 100% and you cant have much fun with about 6 other british people...
The food is extreamly boring, and repetitive and under cooked chicken was on the menu until complaints were made. Id say everyone got sickness and diarrhea , I got it extreamly bad on an excursion, so dont eat on the camel excursion!We had 2 excursions booked through the hotel which were with thomas cook and I got extreamly sick on the first one,and when I had to cancel the second due to my illness, I got told i could rebook it for another £60! How generous considering I got sick on their trip....
When my boyfriend told the reception staff that I was seriously sick, they laughed and said everyone gets it, which wasnt what the doctor said when he put the drip in my arm!
The drinks were GOD AWFUL and I can drink cheap alcohol but this tasted like paint stripper and thats being nice. The beer was really warm and they would pour a beer (not from the fridge) and leave the rest in the bottle on the side in 40 degrees heat until you go up next time for your 2nd delight! The only drinks available on all inclusive were fizzy drinks and we were so fed up of them in the end, we eneded up paying for tea, and also water, which I wouldnt class as all-inclusive.
The beach is a fair walk away and isnt a beach it is a man made beach on rocks which drops into extreamly deep water, very scarey.
The sprinklers were very smelly also.
The fitness centre is hilarious it looks like an outdoor kids play area from 1976, and the beauty parlour may be ok for grooming your dog, wouldnt risk it myself!
The cleaner at first seemed nice and friendly and made us some cute animals out of towels, but then we were bombarded by his begging for money, and also my boyfriends shorts!!! which he tried to take from him on our last day!! Awful!!!
The men in Sharm are absolute perverts and are discusting and letchy, no understatement. They have no respect,and are aggressive, even if you are with your partner. How many camels for your wife?!
The shops will badger you and tell you a sob story to get you in, total idiots, and really annoying.
There was a shuttle bus that ran from the hotel to the town, but you could only stay 2 hours, which wasnt really long enough so we ended up paying a fortune in taxis. And beware of taxis, because they will rip you off!!! Tip: If you havent booked transfers from the airport to the hotel, Be really careful of the taxi drivers, They will take you to a dark oart of the car park and be aggressive and rip you off. we paid 100 more than we should have.
Theres a nice chinese restaurant in the arcade in Sharm.... thats about it!!!Oh and Mc Donalds have massive burgers ( couldnt handle the food in the hotel any more!)
If you want to use a beach in sharm you have to pay also.
The hotel had one up side, our pool guy was a lovely guy and helped us out no end. Very nice guy.
All in all, I would not go back to the Golden Shores , and wouldnt reccomend it to any of my friends, or enemys! Theres loads of nice 5* hotels not far away,and although I wouldnt personally go back to Egypt, Id say go to those hotels instead.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple