“Wakey Wakey, Sharm el Shiekh”

Otium Hotel Amphoras
Ranked #48 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Came to this hotel for 10 days. Reception was quick and efficient and we were able to have an evening meal even though it was nearly 10 pm.
Have been to Sharm before, so sort of knew what to expect.
The room we were given was a family room. Large and spacious with ensuite bathrooms. There was also a kitchenette with a working fridge,which came in very handy. The furniture was all matching and in good condition. Everywhere was clean - no complaints there!
Couldn't see our surroundings until the next day, but we weren't disappointed. We were situated close by the beach,Cabana Bar and large pool.
It didn't take us long to realise that the hotel is geared for Italians. The beach area is lively throughout the day with an Italian DJ,(who talked non stop) and loud music which we didn't mind so much. Some reviewers said they were annoyed by the constant asking for massages etc by the pool from the staff,but I found that as soon as you told them you were English they lost interest anyway!

The bad bits for us were;

No itinery in your hotel room to tell you what's what. Restaurant and bar timings etc...
It's very hilly. To get from the main area down to the beach and back again is quite a trek if you're not too fit.
It's very centred around the Italians. A nod towards other nationalities would have been nice. Eg..at the beach,the DJ would announce when lunch would be ready at the Cabana Bar, but we couldn't understand a word. Saying that,we DID understand the word 'Pizza'!
Not much in the way of entertainment in the evening. The Amphitheatre is,again,suited for Italians.

The best bits;

Some of the food was great,especially the pasta station. The soups were very nice and I loved their bread.
One waiter,I didn't catch his name,was there for us everytime we came to the restaurant-a little tip goes a long way!
The Cabana Bar-best coffee ever.
The Splash Bar-great service.
The chap in the chemist was excellent. Hubby had a bad reaction to mosquito bites and the Doctor sorted him out. A big THANK YOU to him!
The jetty is very stable. Easy to get in and out of if you are unsteady on your feet.

Generally we had a good time. Spent some evenings in Naama Bay (50 egyptian pounds/£5.00) by taxi. Went to the Camel Bar - happy hour prices mon-fri evenings - well worth it.
Also, the prices at the hotel shops for souvenirs were practically the same as Namma Bay-without the hard sell!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Aralvarez, General Manager at Otium Hotel Amphoras, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you for your review, much appreciated all your comments and we are happy that in general you had a good holidays .

At the checking the Front Office staff give you and envelope and normally we do place inside a welcome letter in English with all the information about opening and closing of all outlets, room key, towel card etc.... and may information about the All Inclusive etc, I am sorry in case you dint received :(

Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure to host you once again at our Resort.

Have a nice evening!!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked this hotel having read various reviews. When it came down to making a desision price was a major factor. I was diving everyday other than the last day, all I really wanted was a comfortable bed and breakfast. Having said that I opted for the all inclusive option as it was fantastic value for money.

The good bits; the bedroom was large with a comfortable bed, the air conditioning worked well and I was not bothered by noise even though there was a bar nearby. The grounds are pleasant and well maintained. I did not use any of the pools as I was spending most of my day in the Red Sea and did not feel the need to get wet again. All the staff were pleasant and mostly helpful.

Now the not so good bits; my room was tired, the bathroom in particular badly needed a make over. The room safe did not work, I was offered a replacement room but opted to take my valuables with me each day. One needs a passport if diving from a boat anyway. The hotel has Internet, this is slow with poor coverage and is expensive at approximately £25 for 6 days.

As I said I was not looking for much and what I got was fine given what I paid. Would I stay there again, possibly but there are scores of similar unremarkable hotels in the area and I would make a choice based upon price and reviewers comments.

Room Tip: This hotel has over 400 rooms some are a very long way from the main building. Check at the time of...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Simon B

We thank you for your review... and we are happy that you did got a good value for money , this is very important !!!

We thank you for your positive comments, in reference to the tired room , for your information we are going through a total rooms renovations , we already started and we are planning to have all rooms finish by the end of April 2013, also we are sorry about the Internet connection and I will look into it with our It Manager to solve the problem.

One extra comment from us, if I can take the opportunity is for all future new Guest, the rooms renovation will not be with construction or any noise because is only painting , furniture changes , new TV, new carpet, replace bathroom items and curtains so please do not worry :)

Once again I thank you for your review and we hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in our Resort.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We literally just come back yesterday for what it has been one of our best holidays in our life! We have never been in Egypt before but after visiting Shores Amphoras we will truly come back as soon as we can.

My husband and I arrived there on Sunday 4th Nov, for a 8 night stay in the all inclusive resort. We, as many of you, read several reviews (good ones and no so good ones) so we arrived there with a little concern, mainly because some British pointed that the food variety wasn't good enough, and we are foodies so that gives us motive to be concerned, anyway.... when we arrived we were greeted by the friendly Mohamed (always a big smile in his face, which was a pleasure to see every day) he checked us in quickly and efficiently and provide us with a room perfectly situated by the main pool in the ground floor, with direct access to the pool via our french door :o) The room was clean and well decorated, it had a fridge, safe and TV with BBC News :o) and other channels that allowed me to learn some Italian and some Polish. WE have a very nice housekeeper, call Wessam,he did took care of us perfectly and I felt very comfortable after his services in the room :o)

We arrived quite late (7pm) so after checked our room, we walk the gardens towards the main restaurant for our first buffet Amphoras style dinner :o) we were very impressed about the huge variety they offered! BBQ outside, hot food inside, soups, salad bar, dessert bar (with me most amazing looking cakes!) I am a picky eater (foodie but picky) and I always found my plate full of delicious treats. The staff that works at the restaurant, was always friendly and professional. I have to make a special mention to Mahmud one of the Head Waiters, who made in every occasion time to greet us and make sure we always were comfortable and with everything we needed, Thank you, Mahmud! Every single time we arrived there there was tables ready or if not, they will quickly set up one. I have worked in the industry and I know how difficult it is, and I can say that I have not seen people work as hard as everyone in the hotel did! Even knowing they have been there for very long shifts they were always with a smile in their face :o) a pleasure to find!

The all inclusive was perfect! Some people has complained about that they served the beer in small cups, but to be honest in order to make sure your beer is perfectly cold, you don't want it bigger, with this heat is better small so it doesn't ruin. I have not found a moment or bar where I could not get a drink, the all inclusive might have times but they did not affect us at all!

The hotel provides with loads of entertaining, Oriental Egyptian dancing on Layalina Cafe, twice a week, crazy nights a Coco Loco disco, which you have to go with a very open mind :o) I love the quiz night (on Saturday I think) when I answer many of the questions right getting our team to win the competition! Yay!!! Helped by a Polish girl, Ukrainian man and another Russian helpers! My husband even try the Mister Amphoras (to have a laugh!) but unfortunately due to that we were the only Spanish and Polish in the Disco, no one supported us (except two girls and another guy) the winner: Russian! :oP
I have to say, the hotel is packed with Italian and Russian people, they have their ways and we have ours but just put a smile in your face and no matter where you are or who you meet you will always find a friend :o)
Some people are just looking to find faults and as the saying says if you look you find, but we are not like this, we knew what we paid and we knew the hotel was full with people from Russia and Italy, so what? We went there and have the most amazing holidays this year! and possibly one of the most amazing in my life ( and I travelled a lot!)

The animation team also deserves a mention, specially Liam (British guy from Birmingham!) and Kristina (Russian Girl with little English but oh, Dear she tried hard ;o) They are very good trying us to try things! Coco Loco nights!!! :o)
I tried Yoga in the morning with her, and Aqua Gym in the main pool, we danced with the Italian animation team, which was very funny ( even though I didn't understand it all) I played several games of Volley Beach and loved it.

The Hotel is perfectly positioned by the beach, with direct access to the jetty where you could snorkel and see the most amazing fishes, corals and sea life!
I also tried the spa, having the Fantastic Package, with a full body scrub, massage, facial, jacuzzi and sauna. I was soooooo relax after that! and the price? to laugh about! That service in London about 5X more (at least!)
We also had Henna Tatoos made by Eslam, a very funny guy by the pool, he is soo funny and friendly! BTW: congratulations on you recently wedding Eslam, you wife is very lucky!

The activities we did in Sharm: Sand Buggy in the desert, Extreme Safari (which included: Quad biking, Camel Ride, Snorkeling boat trip, Banana ride, Kayaking and Pedalo boat, yep! All in one day!!! Whoaaa) we also took a boat trip day to Tiran Island, where there are several Shipwrecks surrounded by corals and sea life! Beautiful! We took the one organized by the Dive Center in Amphoras, called Viaggio Nell Blue ( full with Italians, with enough English) and the rest of our days we enjoyed the pool, the activities, the sun and good weather ( at the end of the day that is what was all about, run away from English weather!)

We were very lucky to meet Mr. Tony Alvarez and his fantastic wife! I am Spanish as him, so we did have lots to talk about! He is an amazing GM and does know how to treat his customers :o)

Well... What can I say? I am already thinking to come back next year, and I am starting to look for flights :o)

Ask me any question, I am here to give you a honest answer!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool offer excellent views, our was 6102 and we loved it
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you, this review is very important for all of us, but more important to all our future Guest as you describe our Resort very well.

Thank you for mentioning our staff they will be very proud when they read it, this is an extra motivation for all of them and really I appreciated.

Well as you say this is " Your Home away from Home", so we are waiting to see you soon!!! I am taking this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a good 2013 for both of you and your families.

Thank you!! y hasta pronto !!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had reservations about this hotel on arrival and was not happy initially with the customer service and cleanliness of the room. However, as the week progressed, things definitely improved. On arrival at 7.45 a.m. our luggage was put on a step outside the main reception. We were not offered the option of putting the luggage in storage but We just assumed that was the only option. It turns out that luggage can be locked away, we were just not told. When we collected our luggage when our room was available at 1.30p.m., it had been left in the scorching sun and was too hot to touch (I have plastic luggage). I was furious about the total disregard for our property and potential damage that could have happened to the electrical goods inside. This was poor service in my eyes and no one was interested when I complained. In fact, the front desk were very keen to dismiss any kind of questions; they were only interested in rushing people away. The bathroom was truly disgusting and I didn't want to complain, but housekeeping rang to ask how the room was, giving me an opportunity to mention it. The maid came to clean it as soon as I mentioned it. Otherwise, the rooms were fine and quiet at night. The resort was beautifully landscaped and well tended. Food repetitive (particularly lunch) , but some more variety in the evenings. Just what I expected of an AI resort really, so no surprises there...no sign of sickness though, which was a real worry of mine.
I had read a previous review that said the pools were cold and they weren't joking. 5 of the pools were not ceramic and 4 had pebbles cemented into the floor ( v painful ). Not sure why this was a design feature?? The 'heated' ceramic pool was far from heated...!
That said, the vibe of the hotel was lovely. A very relaxing resort that is beautiful to stroll around. The beach and coral reef were great, the sun loungers very comfy.
Only a ten min stroll from the il mercato shops, bars and restaurants and a ten min taxi to Naama Bay. There is a free shuttle to Naama bay, which was an attraction for me, but times were pretty inconvenient. Taxis are reasonable though. I had also assumed that you could use facilities at the sister hotels (as is usually the case when several hotels of the same chain are close by). This is not the case here, apart from a restaurant booking option.
Overall, a nice resort. If there were a 'good' rather than 'very good' option above, I would have chosen this.....I had a nice holiday overall and would certainly not advise against this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zoe W

Thank you very much for your good constructive review, I have taking very serious all your points and already meet with the responsible Heads of Department to make sure that the cleaning and the luggage incident does not happens again, and really I thank you for your comments .

We do learn from all our guest and this is the beautiful thing about TripAdvisor because give us the opportunity to learn, for this a big THANKS to you.

Thank too for the positives points and we are glad that overall you had a good time , we wish that you choose us for your next holidays, we will be very happy.

Thank you again.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

this being a second trip to Egypt and having stayed in the most wonderful resort the previous time this year had a lot to live up to. We stayed all inclusive from 24th September till 8th October. We did have a nice room and everyday on our return there was always a beautiful towel display, our room however was so far away from the main restaurant and building that some days in the heat it was an effort. We found the hotel to be very italian orientated, shows etc., and had been there for over a week before we were advised to try out one of the other pools and perhaps we would be lucky enough to finds others to socialise with. .....The food was fine, quite a good choice. The drinks, none of us enjoyed except perhaps for the odd shandy. Found most of the staff to be very pleasant and chatty. The grounds were lovely and well maintained.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Hello and thank you for your review... sorry that you had a room far away from the main activities food centers, next time you come drop us a line and we will do our best to accommodate any request you may have.

We are proud that overall you did enjoy our Resort and we are happy for this, also you are very kind to mention that our staff did pleased your party.....

We hope we have the pleasure to host you once again !!!!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We have just returned having spent another Two VERY enjoyable weeks at the Shores Amphoras. This being our second stay here within a year.

Once again we were made very welcome by Mr Tony Alvarez and his team, nothing was to much trouble.

We were allocated our apartment which had a beautiful sea view and was only a short walk from the main swimming pool.

The food in the Amphoras Restaurant was varied with plenty of choice, very friendly staff in particular Ahmed, Ali and young Mohammed who always ensured that there was a vacant table for us. We also dined in both the Bella Vista and Mermaid A' La Carte Restaurants and will take this opportunity to thank Yousef (Executive Chef) and his staff for the VIP meals and service.

Our apartment was kept spotless by the TWO Mohammeds who also decorated all the beds with towel sculptures and flowers.

The pool and bar staff were also very efficient and extremely helpful, nothing was to much trouble, We must say a big thank you to, Sherif and Yousef at the Palm Bar, Ali, Nadier and Mohammed in the Laylana Bar for making our holiday so enjoyable with their friendship and laughter.

The 5 Star Animation team of Big Mohammed, Little Mohammed, Cheetos, Liam and Larissa work extremely hard and never fail to entertain their guests. Also a special mention for Giselle who left the team for pastures new whilst we were there, Hope all goes well!!

Whilst there are a lot of Italian and Russian Guests some of which can be very rude and demanding one has to appreciate that the resort attracts many different nationalities and this all adds to the experience of your holiday.It is unfortunate that the staff have to tolerate such abusive treatment from so many of these guests when the staff are so friendly and helpful.

We once again thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Shores Amphoras and look forward to returning again in the near future.

A Small Tip: If you are travelling to the Shores Amphoras The General Manager Loves Pork Pies but cannot get them in Egypt. Please leave at reception desk marked for the attention of Mr Tony............ He has his own English Mustard!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JerseyChris061

Thank you for your kind review.... we are happy and proud that you keep coming back to our Resort and this we do appreciated very much.

The team will be very happy when they read you comments about them , this will motivated them and also is a good help for future Guest.

We hope you had a pleasant journey back to home and we are waiting for your next visit to " Your Home away from Home"

Thank you and have a good Christmas and a healthy and prosperous 2013.

PD:
Thank you very much for the Pork Pies !! :)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

we were on October of 2012. Everthing was perfect but the one thing is to be done. There is no direction sign espicially for WC. It's hard to find wc and also restaurants.
And The red sea was amazing. And also hotel's beach and fishes were wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Baxter-istanbul

Thank you for your review, and we are sorry you did encounter some difficulty to find your way around,.

It is true that our Resort is large, however in the welcome envelope, in the back we print the Resort plan with all indications and directions, but thank you to your review I am instructing the Front Office staff to explain this matter a little bit better to all our future guest.

Once again; thank and have a nice day!!!