“Red sea holiday rip off”

Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel
Ranked #149 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Staying at the sharm resort/plaza now. 27 may 2013
Sat in reception writing as its 3 million degrees outside and fancy a chill break.
We have been here now for 1 week, and now finding out the scams of the hotel !!!!
First scam is the reps of red sea holidays ,
if you want to book a trip "DON'T" they pay the hotel a commission so you pay more than double . £50 boat trip at the hotel, £20 booked outside. All the trips are from the same people you sit next to the person who pays £20!!!
Want a taxi !!!!!
If you want one that can come in or out of the hotel you have to use red sea holiday taxis that charge more than DOUBLE again !!!! £10 hotel charge £3 local charge !!!!
So if you want a local taxi you have walk outside the hotel gates and get dropped off there !!! 2/3 min walk. Same if you book a trip from outside the hotel !!! Your choice !!!!!
The hotel itself is ok at the price you pay, don't expect great and you will love it.
Food as been ok, mass shortage of plates glasses ect. Must be expensive !!!!
I have had to laugh as its the first time I have queued up for my dinner !!!! Old butlins camp or school !!!!!! Very busy at the moment.
Snorkelling at the hotel beach is fantastic as long as a boat does not run over you !!! Keep your eyes out for everything here !!!! Do not trust the staff just because they are there !!!! Was on a boat trip yesterday and the boat next to us fired up there engines and swept to swimmers 200 meters away in fast waters!!! The Poor swimmers looked like they had swam to Egypt by the time they got back, and the boat staff just watched !!!
The locals/staff do not care if you live or die as long as you spend money !!!!!!
Always be on your guard and everything will be fine.
Rooms are nice and clean, tv air con ect.
You may be asked about the hotel by "guest team" don't waste your breath.
Drinks are generally warm beer coke ect think they have one ice bucket a day.
Most of the staff are nice they are even nicer when you tip them !!!! I give a couple of quid at meal times and always get good service when they see you !!!
Pool and sun loungers are of the mythical kind here !!! If you are a early bird at 7 in the morning you will get a lounger if you make a bee line for were you want one beach/pool ect later than 8 am not a lounger to be found .
The hotel says that if it's not been used for over 1 hour they will remove the towels !!! "[--]" we have watched and asked and some can stay all day with towels on and nobody uses them !!!
Not payed the beach guy any money yet but I think if i do I will get a lounger !!!!
money talks here as it does all over the world but at least it only takes a few quid here, be prepared to spend a extra £50 and the hotel is yours .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank mickeydoda
Hani G, Online Reputation Manager at Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I think this review has been posted in the wrong place. We are not Sharm Resort/Plaza. And the information in here is not correct about our hotel.

Red sea holidays is an external company, who we do not work with, and are not aware of, they may have booked your holiday for you at whatever hotel you are staying at, but hotels in Sharm allow travel reps into the hotel, they have no control over them, and make no profit from them.

Sharm is a tourist destination, the economy here is based solely on tourism. So some places may charge cheaper prices for locals than tourists.

Tips are expected all over Egypt, in every city, it is a cultural thing, and Egyptians tip other Egyptians, this is not something just expected of tourists. However, our hotel, which I don't think is the hotel you are staying in. But Sharm Holiday does not expect guests to tip, they are welcome to, and the staff will appreciate it, but it will not affect the service you receive here if you do or don't.

Another reason I think you may be writing about a different hotel is that we have a lot of sunbeds, there are always sunbeds available, and many guests mention this in reviews, please read some.

Also we rarely get any taxis into the hotel. Sharm Holiday is located walking distance from Naama bay, plus we offer a free shuttle bus service to two beaches and to Naama Bay which runs regularly, I see no reason any of our guests would need a taxi. Except perhaps to the airport, but we also have a shuttle bus that for a small cost will do airport pick ups and drop offs, cheaper than a taxi, so again, we don't have taxis in here very often, and I think you are talking about another hotel.

To future guests: I do not believe this review is accurate, or about our hotel. Please read a number of reviews before making any judgements on our hotel, thank you.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is certainly a good Hotel,but the food could do with a bit of a up lift.It was eatable.The Hotel was very clean and the Staff was 1st class and helpful.The beach was only 10 mins away which you coud reach with the shuttle bus which ran very regular.Every haf hour or so.The entertainment wasn't up to much,okay for kids..

Room Tip: The rooms on the east side are a bit quieter + you get the sun comin in your room until mid day.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank benny41

We appreciate your positive feedback about our cleanliness, helpful staff and the regular buses to the two hotel beaches. The buses are free, and they also take guests into Naama Bay.

Your feedback about the food and entertainment have been passed on to the General Manager, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and facilities. We are confident that if you visited again, things will have improved in both those departments.

We hope you will consider staying here again on your next visit to Sharm, thanks.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I'm Egyptian the staff treat with us not like tourists i don't know why.To check in we stay for more than 2 hours waiting for room to be ready.But restaurant was excellent also room service is very good.The location is very good also near to Neama Bay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Adham I
Hani G, Online Reputation Manager at Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

We apologize that our staff made you feel less of a tourist than others there, that was not our intention. All staff are trained and told to treat every guest equally, and as a valued customer.
We also apologize for the unusually long waiting time in reception, that is not the normal, and it was definitely not because you are Egyptian. It was just a very busy day for everyone, others at that time had to wait longer than we wanted and expected them too, there was a communication error on the part of the cleaning staff, but we sincerely apologize, that is too long to wait, and it will not happen again, sorry.

Your comments have been passed on to the General Manager.

Thank you for your positive feedback about the restaurant, room service and location.

We hope you will consider staying here again, i'm sure your stay would be more pleasant.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

the location was good as it near to Neama Bay the swimming pool was good the rooms was clean good service and hospitality , i stayed for 4 days but there is no activities to do neither at the morning or the night except one time i enjoyed the oriental show my advice for all if you decide to stay at it don't depends that you will do something at the hotel and try to arrange something outside like safari diving sea trip

Room Tip: in front off the main pool
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank osama e

We are disappointed that your stay was not as pleasant as it could have been.

It is difficult to see how you did not notice any entertainment. We have an entertainment program that runs from 9am till 11pm. It is based around the main pool but also in other areas. There are bars, our own mini disco club, pools, a tennis court, free buses to town and the beaches. You can easily spend your holiday based in the hotel, and doing day trips to town and beaches from here. There are childrens programs, morning exercise classes, beach volley ball, dance parties, shows at night with Egyptian culture, the shisha tent where you can smoke the Egyptian way. All sorts of things. Also, there is a sign outside the main restaurant going towards the pool which lists the entertainment for each day and times. It is very had to miss this sign you have to walk past it to get into the restaurant or enter or leave the hotel.

We appreciate your compliments on our location, pools, room cleanliness, and good service.

To future guests: Please read a number of reviews before making any judgements on this hotel, some information said about us in this review was blatantly not true.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed for a week, fantastic weather, hotel pools are great, the room was ok but definitely not very clean.The air con also didn't seem to be very effective at all. Someone on here referred to 'surface cleaning' and that is what they do. My feet got filthy every time after I washed them in the shower just from walking on the hotel room floor. There was also a filthy rug with hairs and bits of cotton on which I kept moving so I wouldn't have to walk on it, but the cleaning staff moved it back every day (without cleaning it).

Staff: were mostly friendly, some stood out. Mohammed at the small pool was excellent, as was the pool/umbrella guy who worked with him(not sure of his name). Ahmed in the restaurant was also very funny and kind. We did get approached several times by our room cleaner, I felt a bit hassled to be honest and he all but followed us into our room. One time I was alone and basically had to shut my hotel door in his face.

Pool:There were plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas around the small pool but one day we found several of the umbrellas were broken and the pool guy kept telling us off for trying to open different ones (we didn't know they were broken). So we ended up going back to our room as we didn't want to get sun burnt.

Food: the food was ok, but very repetitive. I did get ill towards the end of my stay and ended up having to just sit inside on the last day because I felt so sick. My tummy still isn't quite right and I have been back home for 2 weeks now. I feel like I need another holiday!
The hotel offers an excellent shuttle bus service to the beach. Wind beach isn't worth bothering going to but Hadaba beach was excellent. I would recommend going at 1pm to Hadaba and missing lunch, because it is empty there as everyone goes back to their hotels for lunch.

I don't think I would go back to this hotel again but I also don't think I would go back to Egypt again, it wasn't for me. The beach and sea is fantastic but I didn't feel safe walking alone and I didn't feel that the people were very friendly.

Room Tip: definitely get one in block 9 by the small pool
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your positive feedback about our value for money, pools, friendly staff, sunbeds, Hadaba beach, and the free shuttle bus service to town and both hotel beaches.

It is disappointing to hear that your stay was not as pleasant as it could have been. Egypt is very different to European countries, and some people enjoy it more than others, I understand that the culture can take a little bit of time to get used to and understand. My advice to future guests is to be aware of the differences, they are not bad, but they are different, and it's good to be prepared physically and mentally for that. Do some searching online about traditions etc here, and maybe learn a few words in Arabic, you won't regret doing so.

Also, we have a UK recognized Cristal Certificate in Food Hygiene and handling. Any illnesses are definitely not from the food or cleanliness, we maintain very high levels of cleanliness, especially in the kitchen, and all food is fresh and prepared here. We even have our own bakery to make the bread and desserts each day. A small amount of guests do get sick from the heat, because it is a big climate difference, and it is very hot here, especially if you are coming from a colder country. Please be advised to stay in the shade, and drink plenty of water, especially in the first few days.

Your feedback about the room cleanliness, and broken umbrellas has been passed on to the General Manager. Rooms are cleaned daily, thoroughly, and if this is not being done, please let reception or Management know straight away, because this is not normal, and our cleaners are trained, and we would like to remind whichever staff member is involved of our expectations.

There is also a sign you can put on your door, to ask your room to be cleaned or not, this is on the desk when you go into your room, you can put this up to stop cleaners coming in if you want.

To future guests: Please read a number of reviews before making judgements on this hotel, thanks.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went in a group of six ladies for the first time to this hotel and were amazed with the service and hospitality they provided. We had good rooms that needed some adjusting which they did without hesitation. They were kept clean with fresh towels and good presentation when we arrived back to our rooms. We had a great time and thanks to the food and beverage manager, Mohammed we had excellent service as 5 of the ladies in the group were vegetarians! The food was adjusted to cater for them and it was very much appreciated. We had a birthday celebrated and thanks to Natalie and the reception staff who supported the event by getting a cake. The food is varied and there is always something to eat with very good staff who are friendly and always willing to help. It was observed that there was some favoritism to certain groups but that did not affect us enjoying our time at the hotel. The entertainment is not up to date and could do with a brush up with the night entertainment but worth the stay altogether. Naama bay is a 10 minute walk with lots of entertainment and restaurants to enjoy. I would definitely go back to this hotel again.
In addition we had a fantastic time arranging trips with Discovery Safari which is located just as you walk out of the hotel, towards Naama bay, on the left hand side. Mohammed, the owner provided us with good deals and the best service possible to make our holiday worth every penny. I definitely recommend going there first before you book with anyone and talk to him.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank B1N4

We're glad you all had a great holiday here.
Thank you for your positive feedback on our great service, cleanliness, food, friendly helpful staff, and location.

Your feedback about the entertainment has been passed on to the General Manager, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and facilities, thank you.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Sharm, safe travels!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is my third time here, my friend an i come the same time every year end of Feb beginning of March for 2 weeks all inclusive. We love it at Sharm holiday and wouldn't go anywhere else. This year as it was our third year we were presented with fruit baskets in our room and upgraded to a poolside room which made us feel valued as a customer. The staff are great and very accommodating, nothing is a problem! We will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lesleymcc80

Thank you very much for your review and continued support,

We are happy to hear from a returning guest, and we're glad you both enjoyed your third visit here.

Thank you for your compliments on our helpful accommodating staff.

We look forward to seeing you both again next year, thanks.