“Poor Hotel, Excellent Staff”

Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel
Ranked #146 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
liverpool
“Poor Hotel, Excellent Staff”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

W e have just returned on the 22nd October after a 2 week stay at this hotel. W efound the hotel very shabby it is great need of decoration and a good clean. We had to see three rooms on our arrival at 11pm before we could find a room clean enough to stay in. The reception staff our rude and very unhelpful. On our arrival we asked if there was any were we could get a drink and something to eat, and we were rudely told "no all inclusive has finished" I do not think this is the correct way to greet gusts that have just arrived after a long trip.
The electirc and water went off daily, we compalined that we had no hot water this was fixed for 1 day then back to cold again for the rest of the holiday.
We met some brilliant people while we were there these were other guests and also the staff especially Antonio behind the pool bar who always had a smile and would bring your drinks over and Mohamed the pool guy who was always happy to help and had a smile and a chat eveyday.
The restraunt food was very poor, there was chicken, rice and beef most days and the food was kept warm for long periods. The salad was a poor selection, I understand that we are in Egypt as this was my 5th visit to the country but I found this the worst food that I have eaten while holidaying in this counrty.
The rooms were very poorly cleaned, our balcony and stairs were not cleaned once in the 2 weeks we were there. If the cleaners spent more time cleaning properly instead of the making of towel animals for the tips that they expect then the rooms would be cleaner.
The pool area was only cleaned once in the 2 weeks we were there and this was on the day we were leaving. If you walked bare feet from the sunbed to the pool your feet were black.
There are alot of manager walking around looking but there is no real work being done.
This would be a lovely hotel, as the area and surroundings are lovely, but this hotel needs to be cleaned up and they need to listen to peoples reviews and action them.
For people on this trip advisor who say that all was brilliant and there were no issues with anything, I do not now were you were staying but there was at least 15 people in our party and we all found the hotel poor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jaynewills
Hani G, Online Reputation Manager at Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
We are disappointed to hear that your stay was not as pleasant as it could have been.

We would like to inform you that we clean all areas of the hotel thoroughly each day. I have never heard of someone needing to see 3 rooms before they found a clean one, that is quite hard to believe. If there is an issue with the room, you can always ask for a cleaner, even if they have already cleaned that day, and there is an accident or something, you can call and ask them to come again and clean it for you that is not a problem. We maintain a high standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel, and it would be very difficult for guests to find fault with the cleanliness of the rooms, you must have been looking very hard, and trying to find a problem. We have good cleaning staff, and I stand by their work, each room is cleaned well everyday, and before every new guest.

We have set meal times, each meal is open for three hours. Dinner finishes at 10pm, and yes it is disappointing that you missed it, but there is a very reasonably priced room service menu available 24/7. It's not practical or reasonable to expect us to leave our restaurant open and food out all the time, that is not heard of, even in 5 star hotels.

We apologize for the water going cold, this does not usually happen, and it's good they fixed it straight away on the first day. The water should always be hot, we do not hear of this problem very often, but again, we are sorry it happened to you. If this kind of thing happens, where it's fixed, but only for one day, simply call and ask someone to come and fix it again, or they will move you to a room with hot water until they can get it fixed, that is not a problem, just ask.

We are glad that the staff made your stay more enjoyable, a lot of people compliment Mohammed and Antonios good service, thank you.

The food is buffet style, with much more than just chicken beef and rice. At each meal there are at least 3 meats and one vegetarian option, sometimes more. There is a salad bar, range of bread, soup, and a dessert bar. We make the bread and desserts fresh each day in our own bakery within the hotel. The reason the food is kept heated for a while is so that people coming back from excursions or checking in after the normal dinner time (like yourself) can still eat.

Please read a number of reviews before making judgements on this hotel, the majority of our reviews are very positive, and we receive a lot of good feedback about our cleanliness, thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on Thursday 11th Oct 2012, when we first got there we were told we only had 10mins left to eat in the restaurant therefore as there was 10 of us we rushed down to the restuarant to make sure we eat as it has been a long journey getting to Egypt. The food was horrible so we went to reception to complete the check in and then walked to KFC which was just down the road. We thought the food would be better the next day as we were last in the restaurant however it was just as bad from breakfast to evening meal. There was always a lot of variety of food but they catered more for the russians,egyptians, italians etc.. Food for the british was very poor and limited.The food they did have was very repetetive i.e. Rice & Chicken. The snack bar only consisted of bread rolls, cheese, ham and chicken wings which was not even worth eating. This was the same every day. No pizza/burgers/hotdogs/chips like any other all inclusive.

throughout the holiday we met a family who had arrived the same time as us and was also very unhappy with the food. We decided to go and visit the General manager but found him very unhelpful with a negative attitude.

The staff in the restaurant (Osama & Mohamed) treated us very well, they laid our table for us everyday and was more than willing to do anything for us. After a few days we could no longer keep eating from the restaurant so started ordering room service food and eating in the restaurant, the menu for room service was totally different from the restaurant menu and was much better quality and taste. However we had a terrible meal from room service one night and we went to complain. My uncle had the phone put down on him by the Manager who used very bad attitude and bad language. Hani the Rep did not help us in this situation in any way at all and in fact told us if we would like a refund we would have to tell the manager that the food was very nice and nothing was wrong. The manager would not accept anything bad said about his hotel.

The Holiday complex itself was very nice and pools were very clean. The slides go on and off throughout the day and are not open all day long, I think they turn them off to save their water bills. The pool bar was very good and antoneus looked after my family there. This pool tends to be very quiet compared to the others. The big pools have loud music playing all day long.
The Animation team were very good, my fave has definitely got to be Mimo!! As we were leaving some of the animation team also had to leave as their contracts were ending so not sure what the new animation team is like. There is plenty of entertainment throughout the day like Water sports, Water volley ball, darts, ping pong, basketball and dancing. The entertainment in the night is not so good so you may want to venture out to Naama Bay. We spent most of our Holiday in Naama Bay than the hotel because of the quality of food/drink/entertainment.

The ten of us were very poorly with diarrhoea and bad stomach whilst in Egypt so if you decide to visit you may want to take medcation with you to prevent this. The chemist on site is very expensive and ripped my family off. There is a chemist jus down the road which is a lot cheaper.

Overall -
* The Hotel was nice
* Food/drinks very poor
* Entertainment in the night not the best - Magic show was amazing though
* Staff very friendly - People in the shops pester you to buy everything
* Near Naama Bay
* Rep and management very unhelpful

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Katie D
Hani G, General Manager at Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Madam,

First of all I want to express that this was our first time to see clients with such attitude
I can comment your below comments as following:

Yes , you arrived to the hotel after 10 PM , where our Dinner buffet is ending at 10.00 PM exactly, we did wanted you and your friends to catch Dinner before it is over not to leave you without food till the next morning, we didn't want to loose time and wanted to serve you the dinner before finishing check in procedures, I don't see harm about this, it only reflects how carful we are regarding the service we are giving to our Clients.

Your good self is saying that food was horrible up on check in and all the time during your stay, but I can only say that you was going to the restaurant every meal saying that I want Pizza , I want Burger, I want hot dog all the time , and our restaurant staff were serving you what you want even if it is not included in our buffet items for the day , what I gathered is you wanted to eat all the time what ever you want without any charges, and you keep saying that food is not catered for British Clients, well , no body said any where that we are a British Club , only exclusive for British clients, we have so many nationalities, as you mentioned ,and we have to tack care of all tastes , not only British, you kept saying this, and you kept saying it is rubbish food to every body, and we saw this insulting for our clients and hotel staff , however we kept serving you what ever you ask.

We can not cater pizza , burgers , or hot dog all the time, all other nationalities will complain, however we have those items most of the time , especially lunch time

It is me ,the general manager, and I am saying you have never met me personally, all what you did is that you wrote all those things on a guest comment form and left it in my guest comment box , however I sent you the guest relation manager, rooms division manger, food and beverage and all of them went back with the same impression that iAM talking about, every thing is rubbish , and we swallowed the insults again and again.

How it comes the staff in the restaurant treated you very well and were welling to do what ever you want ( as you mentioned), while their general manager is not helpful????

Yes you were ordering food from room service , but your main problem that you dint wanted to be charged, the only night that I have a ward personally with the gentleman in your room, is that I found every body calling me to the room service to show me three Dishes that you ordered , you ate most of it, and then you sent it back asking for two pizza and saying you are not going to pay the first three , I called the room inquiring about what is wrong with the three dishes, and the gentleman on the other side answered me simple it is rubbish, and since we are not serving rubbish food to our Clients, and you did said in your Guest comment that room service food was amazing , and since we spared no effort to make your stay comfortable one, I asked him gently , Sir you can leave the hotel simply if you see that we are serving rubbish food, and I asked him to get in touch with his travel agent in order to move him to another Hotel.

Next morning you travel rep. Was talking to the gentleman infront of some other British esteemed Clients who were shocked ,all of them, when they knew that the gentleman was telling me that our food is rubbish, the gentleman didn't want to pay the three dishes, and wanted them free, and we insisted that he must pay them

We serve thousands and thousands every year, we never met ant body from any where with such attitude , either I get what ever I want for free, or I keep complaining, and finally writing negative comments on Trip advisor, that we were threatened over and over many times with

About Diarrhea for the 10 of you , I can assure every body that I was seeing you all the time in the restaurant eating the three meals, and even that room service dishes was one night prior to your departure date, I dnt know how a person with diarrhea will eat Burgers, Mix grilled, and Grilled chicken at 10.30 PM, addition to that , we are a cristal Hotel , and our Cristal Certificate , check safety first, is every where in hotel

Over all, we were surprised , as management , and Hotel staff to see this attitude.

Thank you for taking the time to write all the things you wrote

Travelers are raving about these Sharm El Sheikh hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am quite amazed at some of the reviews written below, I have just spent the last two weeks of September - which was my seventh holiday at Sharm Holiday Resort - (which I think speaks for itself as to what I think of the Hotel) and have already started looking for dates for my holiday next year at the same place.

The rooms are great and always kept very clean with fresh bedding and towels everyday, and as an extra perk you often get towel art to finish off the room. The bar staff, room boys, waiting staff and everyone who works there are always happy and helpful and very willing to do anything you ask.

The pools are great with the top pool having music during the day and two water slides - which is great fun - with only a few steps needed to get to the bar for drinks. The lower pool - Sunset pool - which is where I prefer to sunbathe as it is quieter also has a swim up pool bar.

The two beaches associated with the Hotel - one in Naama Bay called Wind Beach is only a ten minute walk down the road where you can see endless fish swimming around and even more if you have a snorkel with you. Hadaba beach a few miles up the road, although it has a long climb down the cliff path is very well worth going if you want to go snorkelling. Buses run from the hotel to both beaches several times a day, so you don't even need to walk far in the brilliant sunshine.

If you do have a problem with any aspect of the hotel - and I have only had one - a quick polite word with the Guest Relations Manager - Mahmoud quickly sorts the problem out, and always seems to be around the hotel somewhere and is easily accessible and willing to listen to any queries you may have. Antonius the Sunset Pool barman was always eager to bring our drinks to us and was always very pleasant and friendly, along with Mohammed, the pool boy, who was also very eager to help you.

To get to the subject of food which seems to be most peoples gripe about the hotel I find disappointing as there is always something available to eat whether you are British, Italian, Russian etc., Maybe for example the British prefer to have chips with everything but this is not going to happen in any of the hotels on an all inclusive holiday.If you want chips everyday then you are going to have to pay for them, either through room service or down in Naama Bay itself. As the saying goes "When in Rome etc etc., It seems that people are going on holiday to a foreign country but expect to get the same food as they get at home.

Naama Bay town centre which is only a five minute walk down the hill is a hive of activity in the evenings with music blaring out of every restaurant, bar, cafe etc., with plenty of dancing, whirling dervishes and even snake charmers there for your entertainment. There are plenty of clubs and fast food outlets if you prefer something different to the hotel. Ok you do get hassled by the shopkeepers, but we must remember that this is part of their culture and their way of life, and they themselves find it hard to understand why a lot of holidaymakers are so rude to them, give them a chance, just smile and say no thank you and carry on walking.

If you are not looking for a five star hotel, because you'd rather spend your money on something more than marble and chandeliers (because lets face it you can't take them home with you) then I have no qualms in recommending this hotel to you. The price is great, the pools are great, the staff are great and only five minutes to the hub bub of Naama Bay centre - what more could you want.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marlene W
Hani G, Online Reputation Manager at Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your review.

It's great to hear you are still enjoying your holidays here, for the 7th time, wow, we're flattered. Thank you for your compliments on our rooms, staff, pools, beaches, staff fixing any issues quickly, food, location and value for money.

Thank you for all the information you shared with future guests, and we look forward to seeing you again next year.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

we spent our honeymoon here the hotel upgraded us free of charge the staff were great really friendley and helpful. the food was good and catered for everyone, the rooms were clean and tidy and the location was great. Minor downpoints for me was drinking out of plastic cups[but when the bar staff realised this they tried when possible to give you glasses] and loud music late afternoon when id like a nap before dinner. Overall very enjoyable and we would consider going back next year.

Room Tip: i would advise aroom away from pool because bar and entertainment is there
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review.

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your honeymoon here, and congratulation on your marriage. Thank you for your positive feedback about our food, clean rooms, and location.

We often have guests staying for special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries, and we like to help them celebrate as much as we can. I would advise anyone who is going to stay here for a special occasion to let us know when they book, so that we can make it extra special for you.

It's good that the bar staff made an effort to give you glasses when they realized you were not happy with the plastic cups. We usually do serve alcohol in disposable cups, simply because of the amount we go through in a night, and it's easier than asking people to hold onto the same cup so that we can refill it, especially if you want two different kinds of alcohol. There just wouldn't be enough glasses otherwise, it's not practical. We have up to 1000 guests, possibly more, staying here on any given night, with more than 900 rooms available.

You are more than welcome to come back next year, we hope to see you here again, thanks.
west yorkshire
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I am sorry ,but we arrived at the hotel at 9.25 pm on Friday 11th October. We were asked to go for food before we checked in. The food was appalling, but thought it's late, tomorrow would be better! No, breakfast was worse. The room was lifting. Hairs in the bath & on toilet seat, the quilt on the bed was ripped & the mattress oh god. We moved that afternoon. I have stayed in 2* in Grand Canaria that was 10 times better. Sorry if you have already booked, if you have not booked here yet DON'T.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dorian6921
Hani G, Online Reputation Manager at Sharm Holiday Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012

We apologize that your stay was not as pleasant as it could have been. We are surprised to hear that you fould ALL of the food appalling. Many guests comment that they enjoy the food. It is a buffet style menu, so there are always a variety of choices of food, and each meal is different. We designed the menu so that there should always be something that anyone will want to eat, we take a number of cultures and tastes into consideration when we are preparing the food.

The review before yours says that their room was clean, and the majority of our reviews actually compliment the cleanliness of the hotel and their rooms. I'm not sure why the room was not perfectly clean, we clean each room every day, and before each new guest arrives. There may have been a communication error between the staff, and they could possibly have put you in a room that had not yet been cleaned. I can assure you this does not usually happen, and we apologize that it did.

If any guests have any problems at all with the room, please let reception know straight away, you can call them from your room. We will be happy to send a cleaner immediately, or change your room to another one if there are rooms available. Our staff are there to ensure you have the best holiday possible, and if there are any issues or anything we can do to improve your experience here, please do not hesitate to ask. Many reviews comment on how fast and professionally we resolve any issues, and they are always small issues and do not happen often.

Please read a number of reviews before making a judgement on our hotel, most reviews are very positive. This review is not an accurate representation of Sharm Holiday Resort.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have just came back from this hotel and the staff and people we met made are holiday! We have never been abored before so had no expections as such but had a brill time we sat buy the quite pool all week and Mohamed and Antonio was great could not ask for more helpfull or nice guys. Mohamed put are towels out every day and all ways had a smile and feed the cats witch I thought was sweet and Antonio would get us drinks and bring them too us also all ways smiling they both work very hard. The only thing that let it down was the food it was ok just same thing a lot like pasta and chicken and rice more food for the Russian people ect and not much entertainment for the English but Very close to Nama bay so that's a plus we ate out few times but food very cheap in Nama bay part from tgi Fridays same as what your pay in England and not the best had better at home. But can't fault the staff the cleaner made us great towel animals too all in all for are first holiday abored it was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review.

We're pleased to hear you had a great first holiday abroad, and that you chose us and Egypt to go to. Thank you for your compliments about our helpful friendly staff, location and towel art.

As you will have noticed, there are not as many English people as there are Russians/Egyptians/Italians, we do have to take the majority into consideration when preparing the food. We would love for more English guests to stay here, they are very welcome here, and most of our staff understand and have some basic English, and the management have professional English. We would like to encourage more English guests to stay here at Sharm Holiday, and that would influence the menu, and the entertainment as well. If you feel like a change in food, the room service menu is quite differnt to the normal food in the restaurant, and it was designed specifically for English tastes, with a wide variety of freshly cooked foods. There is pizza, burgers, a range of pasta, meat dishes, desserts, drinks, kids foods, all kinds of things. It is actually cheaper and faster to order food from room service, than in Naama Bay.

We hope that you will consider staying here again if you ever return to Sharm, thanks.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at The Sharm Holiday Resort for 2 weeks late September.
The location was perfect for us. A 5 minute walk into Naama (try not to do the walk during the day as it is mostly up hill and you arrive back looking like you had jumped in the pool fully clothed!)
The hotel was ok. The room was really nice, clean and quiet with a sea view.
The food wasn't the best but it was edible and we did eat out a couple of times whilst on holiday. Mohammed the waiter (!!) was lovely and when we walked into the restaurant he greeted us with drinks and had a table reserved for us.
The restaurant cleaners (I think they were, they tended to gather near the food) whistled at any girl in a skirt who walked past. It was rather intimidating to say the least and you don't expect this behaviour in a hotel.
More than likely you will end up with a poorly tummy and a little trip to the chemist on site should do the trick. It doesn't tend to ruin your holiday but it can make you feely rather groggy for a day or two.
The entertainment was pretty poor in the hotel so we tended to sit with a shisha most evenings. Ali at the shisha corner was extremley lovely and we were sad to say goodbye on the last day!

All the guest were so friendly and we met some brilliant people who we hope to remain friends with (without being a little stalkerish!).
All in all we enjoyed our relaxing holiday but probably won't return to this hotel again. We would definately return to Egypt for the weather alone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caz_Mikey_11
Thank you for your review.

We apologize that your stay was not as pleasant as it could have been. Thank you for your compliments on our location, rooms, cleanliness, and Mohammeds good service in the restaurant. We are shocked to hear that some of our staff were whistling at girls, that is indeed very unprofessional and we will look into the matter, and talk to the staff about this, sorry. We expect all of our staff to be respectful, polite and friendly at all times. This will not happen again, and we were not aware of it until now, so thank you for letting us know.

We have a UK recognised Cristal certificate in food hygeine. I can assure you that any sicknesses within the hotel are not related to the food in any way. We prepare our food with high standards of hygeine, and all of our chefts are trained in safe food handling practices. It is not common, but some guests do get heat sickness when they first come to Sharm, usually in the first few days. This is due to the sudden temperature change, and can cause stomach upsets, headaches, tiredness etc. It is more likely to happen to people who are coming to Egypt from colder climates. I suggest that people stay in the shade wherever possible (there are lots of shaded areas and shades over the sun loungers in the hotel) and drink plenty of bottled water. Please do not drink any water from a tap, and be careful when you eat outside of the hotel, make sure they do not use tap water, the tap water here is undrinkable and can make you sick. We only used bottled water in the hotel.

We're glad you met some brilliant people here, and we hope that you will consider giving our hotel a second chance. We are constantly working towards making improvements, and we take our guests suggestions seriously, thank you.