“Difficult holiday but fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Xperience St. George Homestay
Ranked #45 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
westerham kent
“Difficult holiday but fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

Our difficulties were in no way down to the hotel who were briliant in helping us all through the week. I travelled with my 10 year old daughter and son who had turned 18 the day before we flew. He was what you might call 'overtired' that morning and had started to brew a temperature before we left home. He continued to feel unwell and Sharm airport thermal imaging picked him out of the arricing horde. We were all ambulanced to the hospital where he remained for 4 full days being treated for swine flu. We will never know whether he really had it (we think not) and the whole experience was most unpleasant. However, this review is about the hotel not the holiday. So...

The good
Excellent quality facilities, buildings, furnishings. Comfortable, well-equipped room kept spotlessly clean by fantastic personal service of lovely Sharif (brilliant towel art). Entire complex amazingly clean. Large number of hard-working staff in all areas whose cheerful attitude and willingness to help coupled with personable, respectful humour seemed endless. Enormous variety of plentiful good quality food - yes including some creative recycling which should not be considered undesirable. Amazingly some guests chose to eat plates filled with nothing but chips at every meal. Choice of active or quiet pools both superclean, three bars (why would anyone complain about lack of glass around a pool??), and theatre with plenty of seating for all delivering usual mixture of family friendly nonsense - just what you need for kids on holiday. The animation team (Adam, Kimo, Mady and Tonch) seemed on the go nonstop with activities for all ages and made it their business to get to know everyone, especially the children, but allowed you to join in or not as you wished. In fact all the restaurant and barstaff couldn't possibly have been any more friendly and helpful. You could easily not bother going anywhere else for the whole week. The kids club - basic it's true but my daughter was happy there for a couple of hours a day and she is very choosy.

The bad
Not really any. But do be aware the hotel is not near anywhere you want to go (including the red sea) so the hotel cars or a taxi (slightly cheaper) are the best way to get around. The hotel private beach is not actually at the sea and although it's alright you do get a bit hassled by the concessions like tattooing and hairbraiding. Lack of AI snacks outside mealtimes and very small icecream portions during 3-5pm slot bit annoying but not devastating - we were eating way too much at mealtimes anyway!

The ugly
Mosquitos - evil ones. But we sprayed with OFF (hotel shop) and were pretty much OK.

Very little fault to find overall quite honestly and special mention must be made of the spectacular support given to me by every member of staff as I was coping on my own with the hospital problem. They regularly checked with the hospital (unasked) and updated me, they (again unasked) took hotel food and drink in to my son twice a day (OK it wasn't the AI buffet and they were saving what he otherwise would have eaten and drunk), Ayman one of the managers accompanied me in the hotel car the first time to show me the way and all the staff seemed to know of my trouble and asked after my son.

A few words of advice - not connected to the hotel: everything is very cheap but haggling is still expected anyway and you can expect the egyptians to try it on. For example we paid 60EP (£6) in the first taxi from the hospital (and we heard of someone who was charged 150EP) but we only ever paid 25EP after that (yes that's £2.50). Ask how much then haggle. Na'ama Bay is obviously where it's all at, but beware of going with the shopkeepers for any reason. They will try any means to get you to go with them and getting out again is hard work - just walking along the streets there is oppressive for the amount of hassle you get. Do drink loads of water - we had only trivial tummy upsets. Do use an insect repellant spray containing deet. Most of all DO take paracetomol on the plane if any of your party has any kind of temperature - you will be diagnosed with swine flu even if it's just a 24 hour bug.

1 Thank sjthompson1959

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Three Corners St George, and in many ways I can't fault the hotel. The staff are very friendly, the rooms are well appointed and kept very clean. Our biggest problem was that out of six of us who visited the hotel, five of us went down with gastroenteritis. My partner was so ill that he had to be put on a drip and I was prescribed Streptoquin by the doctor in the Three Corners Clinic, an antibiotic that is actually banned in many countries due to the side effects that it causes (obviously I didn't realise that at the time, I was just so grateful that I had something to help as I was due to fly home that day). Part of the problem may be that not everyone uses the antibacterial gel provided to sanitise hands, and so infection is easily spread. We were very careful about what we ate, but we were still ill -as were many others that we chatted to over the course of the holiday. It's very difficult to say where the problem is with the food, as they seem to provide something to suit everyone - maybe they should cut down on the number of dishes offered at each meal and concentrate on quality rather than quantity. Staff hygiene could be improved too, we saw several instances of poor practice in the kitchens. Lots of the food seems to have been cooked in some sort of heavy oil, which you can really taste. It looks like certain food is recycled into meals later in the day too. My advice is eat well at breakfast, you can't really go wrong with toast!

The 'entertainments' programme is poor, we travelled with teenage children, and there was nothing really for them to do in the evenings. Unfortunately the quiet rooms we had booked were right next to the entertainments area, and the 'karaoke' on two evenings finished at 11pm... not great when you are suffering from terrible stomach cramps and other associated problems!! This hotel is rather out of the way, so to visit Nama Bay or Old Market you have to get a bus - we did rather feel like we were in prison at times.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

All i have to say is i LOVED my holiday at the St George Three Corners Hotel, all the staff are fabulous, the hotel is spotless and i enjoyed every bit of my stay here! I cannot fault the staff or the hotel for anything, after reading some comments on here i wasn't too sure wether i wa going to enjoy my stay but all i can say is that some people must be EXTREMELY fussy! I found the food and drink fine however the alcohol spirit drinks maybe a bit strong but jst ask for less spirits and they will be happy to help. All i would advise is for you to take beakers with you, i did and i was happy as they serve drinks in small plasic cups around the pool but the staff are happy for you to get a few drinks at a time. Believe me if you go to this hotel you will deffinatly enjoy yourselves. I will deffinatly be returnin to this hotel as it suited to all ages! x

Stayed June 2009
Wales, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

We got there on 12th Oct 2009 and had 10 days, which wasn't enough.
The Food
We got to the hotel at 10pm and the restaurant had been kept open late for us and others. The food throughout our stay was delicious. There was always plenty of choice (i'm quite a fussy eater!) and it was always well cooked and tasty. I was never bored with the selection and the staff there were amazing (British restaurants could learn a thing or two!).
The Hotel and Rooms
The hotel is lovely. The lobby is a great place to sit and have a drink. Our room was a great size - plenty big enough for 2 people. We were at the front of the hotel, above the shops, and on the road. There was some road noise but it's a fairly quiet road. The cleaners came every day and the left the room very clean (and the towel art was fab!!).
The Pool
We went to the quiet pool. The attendant there is fantastic and advised us on the best beds to get the sun!! The sun rises early at that time of year so you need to be up early too. We were out by 8.30 at the latest and even by that time of morning it was scorching! The sun also sets very early so the pools close accordingly.
The Spa
On our second day we had a joint massage. It was heaven and the oils used were delicious! The staff were fab and after that the sales staff left us alone other than to have a chat every day. They are friendly and just because they are coming to say hello, don't assume they are trying to sell all the time - that was our experience of them.
Trips
We went on 3 trips - camel ride and star gazing, snorkelling and to Cairo. The camel ride and star gazing trip was amazing for 3 reasons.
1. The camel ride itself was one of the funniest things ever!!
2. The Bedouin tribe we ate with - we were given a talk by our guide about the Bedouin life which was very interesting
3. The star gazing was breathtaking as there is virtually no light pollution there. You can see the gases of the Milky Way with your naked eye.
The day trip snorkelling was a real highlight. The sights are amazing. Planning to go back next year and do the diving course.
The trip to Cairo was another highlight. It is a beautiful and crazy place and the Pyramids and Sphinx are awesome - I still have to pinch myself!!
Other than these trips we chose not to leave the hotel. The reason for this was because we enjoyed everything about it and genuinely didn't want to leave! But if you did want to go out there are regular free shuttles. We did go to the beach one day and that was great - snorkelled there and saw lots of different fishies! We didn't go there more cos both of us prefer pools to beaches. Neither of us had any mosquito bites.
We met some lovely people on these trips and at the hotel - both other holidaymakers and staff/guides. This was my first holiday where I did not want to come home.

1 Thank JoInWales
nottinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

This was an absolutely brilliant holiday I went with my husband & 2 boys age 3 & 6 this was the 1st time the boys had been abroad & cried when they had to come home.

The hotel was fabulous very clean spacious rooms. We didnt find a problem with the food as we had read on trip advisor & were a little concerned the only thing I will say is there could do with being more variety for smaller children.

The hotel is a little isolated but a taxi to namma bay is only approx £3 each way & there is a regular bus down to beach every day with a great restaurant & bar so you can enjoy your all inclusive there as well entertainment programme was fine in the day time plenty to do but some night time entertainment could do with a spruce up although this did not spoil our stay & we have looked into going back already.

All staff are extremeley friendly from reception, waiters, housekeeping, bar staff, gardeners etc even the shops at the hotel they treat you as a friend. house keeping made various designs out of the towels & the room was cleaned to perfection everyday.

The glass bottom boat on the beach is definately worth a go & quite cheap it was £12 each for adults & my kids were free we were out about an hour & half & you see loads of different fish & coral you stop off for a litlle snorkelling if you want to.

Also the bedouin night was a perfect night food & entertainment great this was organised by the hotel & was £25 each for adults & £12.50 for kids over 6 brilliant night camel ride extra at £2 but everything else included drink food etc there was a fire show, dancers they entertain the children my 2 loved it ,its out in a purpose built place in the desert it was very warm there though so be warned we went at 6pm at night.

A few people had bad tummy but I think this is expected anywhere abroad but definately nothing to do with food or cleanliness of the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a perfect relaxing holiday. with friendly staff.

Even the airport wasn't as bad as I expected & if you dont want to go out of sharm you do not need a visa which is £15 each I think, we didnt have one.

Salisbury, Wilts.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

We stayed for a week over the half term break and had a very enjoyable time at St. George. Although it is officially a 4* hotel realistically it is more like 3* which may well be the case throughout Eqypt.

First impressions are that the resort is looking a bit tired. The rooms are spacious with large beds (a bit hard though) but quite basic. Even hairdryers, which are normally standard, have to be requested from reception and the one they gave me was pretty useless; I have short hair but it still took me almost 15 minutes to dry it! My advice is bring your own. There are also no shower gels/shampoos/moisturisers provided just liquid soap in a container on the wall.

The staff, as has been previously stated, are always friendly and eager to help. A little too much in the case of Fisel our room cleaner, who insisted on knocking on our door and trying to barge in whenever he saw us enter (even when the "do not disturb" sign was up). He did a good job and always left an animal created out of towels on the bed but expected to be tipped continually. On the third day my husband explained that it's our policy to leave a tip at the end of our stay, but this had no effect at all. In fact on our last morning while we were packing he knocked 5 times - presumably to check we hadn't forgotten. Although we did leave him a tip we had become so irritated by then that it was much lower than it would otherwise have been.

The food was good in general. The evening meals were well cooked and tasty. The desserts were a bit boring however - various little cakes and jellies (strangely enough the best looking desserts arrived at breakfast when few people wanted to eat them). My main complaint is there was very little fresh fruit. Breakfast was also a bit of a disappointment - again hardly any fruit and the hot food consisted of eggs, beans and chopped up frankfurters. If you're looking for a full english you'll be disappointed. However the food that was provided was well cooked and enjoyable and coffee and tea was nice and hot. The only time we had tummy problems was when we ate lunch out on a trip - no problems at the hotel.

The beach was very good - something for everyone. A nice sandy area for swimmers and, just around the corner, a coral beach where you could actually wade out and feed the fish with bread by hand there were so many of them. I have never experienced this before and it was wonderful. We never bothered with the pool area because to be in with any chance of geting a bed you had to be there by about 7 a.m. which is not my idea of a holiday! Every morning on our way to breakfast at around 8a.m. we passed a sea of empy sunbeds covered in towels (the mind boggles!)

Having been forewarned about the entertainment on this page we gave it a miss so can't really comment on that at all.

In conclusion I would recommend St. George, especially for young families, most of the guests had young children with them and seemed to be enjoying themselves. All in all it is what you pay for and probably better than many others. Would I go back? Probably not, although I would certainly go back to Sharm I think I would pay a bit more and stay somewhere a bit more upmarket.

1 Thank melbermar
NorthEast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

Had 2 weeks all inclusive in October and try as I might I could'nt fault it. Food is buffet stlye so you would have to be realy picky not to be able to find anything liked. The service although tip orientated is exelent and the tip needs not to be vast.
There is free transport to and from the hotels own beach and Narma Bay (the shopping center) daily.