“A super dupatta honeymoon”

Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #18 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Me and my wife came to the baron palms on our honeymoon on the 8th July all I can say is wow it was amazing loved every day and we were both devistated when we needed to go home ;-(
w arrived at 5 after a short 10 min coach ride from the airport, Easy check in. When we got to the pool bar this guy in oficial hotel uniform offered to show us around as we were new to the hotel how could we refuse. Unfortuntaly it just turned into a big sales ploy as he led us to the beach to try and get us to spend £180 on a meal on the beach, seriously what a rip off, I feel sorry for the mugs who actually coffed up. The problem is for days after even though we had told him we were not interested he kept harrassing us, whether it was when we were around the pool, in the bar or even having a meal, in the en it was getting annoying but I told him to go away and eventually he did.

The pool was absolutly amazing, this is what we came for, the water is nice and chilled and there is a beautiful waterfall, the only gripe is we had to get up and be outside at 7.20 inorder to join the que to get a bed, this is a bit fustrating as there are clearly not enough beds round the hotel for it's residents which is just plain stupid, not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel!! And some of the staff were reserving beds for people, this shouldn't be allowed, I know mr hoffer says the staff don't do this but I can assure you they do.
I'm sorry for having a go because this is the only problem with the hotel, the sales pressure and lack off beds.
The food in the buffet area was fab, different theme every night, those who say there is no choice are either blind or simply moaners. No problems with the food, we also ate in the al a carte eygptian and pool resturants which were fab, we also had the Indian (but we had to pay extra for this) but this was nice.
The bars we excellent we often started in the pool bar, then the piano bar and often sat on the terrace, the staff were brilliant especially osman and sayed who always kept us refreshed, this isn't a criticism more of a suggestion but it would be nice if in the evening there was slighly stronger beers avaliable on the all inclusive as the beer is very weak. I can understand why this is served, especially during the day, as obviously you don't want all the residents constantly drunk as it would be chaos, but in the evening the choice would be nice. We had many a plesant conversations with mr hoffer and his wife, they made you feel at home, mr hoffers wife advised that we go to the pyramids, and after taking up that advice all I can say is thank you as it really is amazing. The pyramids are something you just have to do!!!!
I want to just say w met some fantastic people at this hotel and the memories will always be with us, thanks mark and Thersa.
Thanks to the excellent staff, I rate them as amongst the best in the world, the hotel whilst obviously not a 5 star (European standards) it is still an excellent, clean and well run hotel which cannot be faulted, will me and my wife be coming back? Dam right, although it will be in a few years.
Just want to also mention mohamed in the terian resturant, if everyone worked as hard like he does, there wouldn't be a credit crunch, himself and all the staff are an absolute asset to this hotel.
Thank you for making mine and my wifes honeymoon the most special and beautiful time.

4  Thank Cowboysfromhell
annaho, General Manager at Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for choosing us to spend your honeymoon and for your wonderful comments. I'm very pleased that you both enjoyed your time with us as much as we did by looking after you , specially happy to read that we could give you that homely feeling.

As for the sales person , I agree not acceptable to harass the guest , but believe me not a rip off !
Just have a look of the comments from the people who had that experience ... a life time souvenir ! ! Beautiful setting , alone on the beach , private butler , private chef , and excellent food with sparkling wine included !

It gives me great pleasure to tell you that we can’t wait to have you back to our own tradition of warm hospitality.
Until then, kindly accept our warmest regards from the Red Sea shores.

Jean Pierre Hoffer

Write a ReviewReviews (3,408)

Reviewed July 30, 2010

Me and my son were here recently for a week and we found it so clean...spotless, staff were so helpful and accomodating. Food, such a choice. Rooms were excelent, again so clean.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
annaho, General Manager at Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2010

Dear Guest ,

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much . It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and hopefully very often.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

We had an amazing holiday at the Baron Palms.

The food was lovely, especially in the Tiran restaurant. There was a large variety of food and something to meet everyones needs. The staff there are a credit to the hotel. They ask about how your day was and make you feel very welcome. They keep your drinks topped up and always serve you with a smile, despite working the long shifts every day. The only complaint we have is that ice cream wasnt available every night!! All other AI hotels weve been to have had this. There was only one night a week when this was offered. They do have it during the day at the pool bar, but this is just one small scoop that even a child would be disappointed with!!
One thing we were ecstatic about was free water!! We usually spend a fortune on it, but we were getiing two big bottles left in our room a day and getting two small ones from the restaurant.

The cleanliness of the hotel is outstanding. Never once did i see any litter or cigarette stubs on the ground. The gardens are maintained daily and the cleaning staff are very accurate in their work.

The location of the hotel is abit 'out of the way'. But the area is still being developed so i expect this to change over time. You do however have to walk down a boulevard to reach the beach. You seem to get 'hounded' by shop keepers for the first few days trying to get you into their shop. This does eventually calm down. We called it 'running the gaunlet!!'
The beach was stunning and there were plenty of sunbeds there.

On the way to the beach there ia a pharmacy. You do get told not to buy any medicines out there due to the 'high price'. Let me tell you this is not true. The medicine is far far cheaper than the UK, and gets the job done.

THE FOLLOWING IS NO REFLECTION ON THE HOTEL.
You do need to be aware if you do go o excursions, that everybody is out for a tip and nothing is for free, even if they say it is. We had the locals, police, armed guards, tour guides etc, everyone is out for a tip. They offer to take a picture for you and then want paying for it!! This is their culture though.

The Thomas Cook tour rep based at the hotel is not much use either. She turned up late for the 'welcome meeting' and didnt even know she had people staying at the hotel.

Another thing to watch out for is tipping. Some people were tipping at the beginning of their holiday for the 5* service. You shouldnt have to tip at the beginning of your holiday when youve paid for their service in the holiday price.

The excursions were amazing. We did Valley of the Kings, Luxor and the Pyramids. Our time there would have been better, if they didnt allow locals to come up to you and follow you around all day trying to sell you books, postcards etc.
We also did snorkelling which was amazing. I spotted clown fish, sting rays, i even had a jelly fish swim about a metre from my face which was spectacular. I was terrified to do snorkelling but once youre out there, you really must give it a try.
We did notice that some people had paid considerably less money than us for the excursions. This is because they booked through an Egyptian tour centre rather than the holiday rep.

Overall, the whole experiance was an amazing one. Seeing the pyramids, which ive wanted to do since i was small, was breath taking. I would recommend this holiday to anyone.
The hotel and staff are very dedicated to making sure you have a good time. There wasnt any problems with our holiday. Thank you for such a wonderful, memorable stay.

6  Thank TaraAndMark
annaho, General Manager at Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for spending your holidays with us, we are indeed delighted that your stay was enjoyable as much as we enjoyed having you with us, comments such as your make us try even harder to make sure that our valued guest leave us with fond memories.

As for the ice cream , we increase and put it tree time a week on the buffet , but on the pool bar we still give only one scoop ,but as match as you wishes , other wise with the heat it melt and leek on the pool deck !

So funny . if you are a positive person you see that you have up on arrival 1 big bottle + 2 small bottle of mineral water in your room and on a daily base one big bottle for thee & coffee facility, not mentioning 2 bottle or more during meal !

We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Warm Regards from all of us

Reviewed July 29, 2010

Baron Palms Hotel, not to be confused with Baron resort, which is supposed to be the superior hotel to Baron palms, was only 10 mins from the airport. We were greeted with a hawaiian Lei and a cocktail on arrival and shown to our room.
Our room was a family room (this was not requested!) and we had 2 toilets and a KS bed and a single. Bonus.
We were starving and the restaurant shuts at 10 but they let us in as we had just arrived.
had a few drinks with another couple we met on the same flight as us at the pool bar and at midnight (when the AI finished) the table cloths were removed, the cushions on the chairs (that we were sat on!)were removed as if to say 'come on its 12am go home NOW'. I did feel a bit 'ushered' out to be honest.
We are beach people and its a little 5 min walk to the beach past a few shops that you get harrassed to go in. Just smile and say no thanks (about 10x!!) the beach has plenty of beds always available. There is currently building work going on next to our patch but it didn't really bother me. the sea is like a hot bath and I'm not exaggerating.Only when you get out past waist depth does it get 'refreshing'. The weather was so hot when we went that so many people spent their days floating on a lilo or just sitting in edge of the seashore. Only bug bear was the Spa staff every day relentless trying to sell treatments. I know its there job but how many times a day??!!! if you say no you mean NO!

The pool, different matter. Lovely pool set up, nice a cool water, the waterfalls etc. However, you will need to get up at 7am, queue and fight for a decent bed if you want one. Not my cup of tea thank you!(and there is no breeze by the pool) the first morning I got up for a swim early I was told to go away at 7am by an abrupt pool man and to come back at 7.30. when i did come back 90% of the beds were gone and the pool man was reserving beds for clients! he was even removing guests own towels (not hotel towels) saying they could not reserve a bed with these! If guests want to get up at the crack of dawn to save a bed so be it but (paying?) the pool man to do your dirty work for you I think is totally not on. Anyway, we actually mentioned this to the General manager as he came round one night chatting and asking for feedback (lovely chap) and I think it stopped the 2nd week we were there. Went to hard Rock cafe in Narma Bay for a change one night which was good fun and good for proper cocktails. Beware though, the shop people around Narma just harrass you constantly to go in. Be Strong!!

Pool bar man (Osman) is a star, Beach bar man (Mahmood) brilliant and there is a little drinks man in the restaurant i think his name is Mohammed and he just works his socks off smiling all the time.

Money - you can pay for excursions in English £ and it is cheaper that way. It gets confusing sometimes becuase you can pay for some things in USD, Euros, Egyptian pounds and English pounds! How random. We took Egyptian Pounds to spend and they had to exchange it back at a higher rate to pay for our boat trip. if you do buy anything, haggle like hell. Do not accept their first price ever!

Trips - went on the VIP cruise. Lovely boat, great food. Wasn't impressed with the snorkeling though. ardly saw any fish where we stopped and having to trail along with a big group with flippers kicking you from every angle was not much fun.
For snorkeling, the best we saw was off the left hand jetty on the beach. Totally awesome sea life. Parrot fish, Angel fish, Puffa fish and I really couldn't tell you what they others are but sooo colourful. Some massive some in tiny shoals. great coral for them to live off.

Food - All brilliant. All served hot and fresh. A fresh cooking station at every meal time with options. You gotta try the breakfast waffles....

***Tummy upsets - people always say 'we got a bug in Egypt, bad hygiene blah blah blah' it is nothing to do with the hygiene most of the time. myself and my partner both had upset stomachs and it got real bad for me one morning we called the doc. Travellers diahorrea due to the extreme change in temperature and we got prescribed tablets to take for 3 days regulate our digestive system. Within 24 hours I was pretty much sorted. try not to call the doc though. We got stung for more than double the amount for the pills. Go to the Pharmacy on Baron Boulevard and ask for Motilium (take 1/2 hour b4 food) and Antinal (take after food) and this will sort you out a treat and cost 150 Egyptian as opposed to the 350Egyptian we got charge plus doc call out fee.

Tip - have your mini bar removed when you arrive and fill it up yourself with drinks from the supermarket up the road. much cheaper.

We ate in the buffet restaurant most nights but twice tried the pool bar Paradise restaurant. its so hot to sit there eating, but the food was good and made a difference of view to be sat by the pool. you need to book this at reception the morning you wish to eat there, it is included in your AI.

Gym - If you decide to use the gym, make sure you take trainers. you are not allowed to use the equipment (even a bike) without trainers. it is air conditioned in there and hardly anyone uses it.

Anyway, we had a brilliant holiday and thank you to all the staff who were very courteous and helpful (accept that pool man!) and thank you to the General manager who responded to our requests immediately. all in all a good holiday. Perfect for anyone wanting 24/7 sun and v hot!

8  Thank MissT01

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at our resort, we appreciate your feedback and we are indeed delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable.

Mingling with the guests give me the opportunity to respond to requests immediately , but some of them prefer to stay as victim they all holiday and mourn when back ! ! ?

Thank you again and hope to see you on your next trip to Sharm El Sheikh.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

I have just returned from two weeks in Baron Palms, and i can honestly say, it's the best holiday I have ever had. All the staff were so helpful and lovely - Mohammed in the Lobby, Mohammed in the Restaurant, Osman at the pool and Mahmoud in the restaurant (who clears the plates - he is lovely!), All the pools staff were great too! The housemen were all polite and even the gardeners would speak to you and always offered to help.
Also, people complained about being hassled by the men at the shops - if you just take the time to get to know them, like we did, you come to realise how lovely the people are and begin to understand their lives and why they hassle you - it's just to make a living!
The food - most/all the food was really pleasant and always something for everyone, the staff in the restaurant will do all they can to help you too. Hassan the chef in the morning is great and really friendly!
The animation team, although, at first, i felt they hassled us i soon realised how nice they all were and people give their night time shows bad reviews but they were entertaining and you can tell all the hard work that went into them.
We did, unfortunately, get given the wrong rooms for the first nights, but we were soon moved to a lovely room and the staff were really helpful in sorting this out - so no real complaints there.
I have also read in many earlier reviews that the staff were rude and bar queues were long, this is not the case - ALL the staff will go out of their way to help you and are genuinely interested in getting to know you. I do believe that you have to treat them how you would want to be treated (with respect) and you will find you have no problems.
After getting home yesterday i havent stopped wishing i was back there and i cannot wait to return - it was perfect and would recommened it to anyone! Thanks to all the staff and to the manager for running such a lovely hotel!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Female2010

Dear Guest ,

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we have succeeded to make your holiday a memorable one .

Reading your review I am proud of my staff and so happy to see that we reach your expectations and more ! I will pass your compliments to all concerned, especially to Mohammed in the Lobby, Mohammed in the Restaurant, Osman at the pool bar and Mahmoud .

We hope, that we will host you soon again at our hotel to spend another excellent time with us.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

This is a really lovely hotel. We stayed for a week at Easter with two teenage children on an all inclusive basis. The rooms were clean and comfortable and very spacious. Food within the buffet restaurant was good, with plenty of choice. However, the menu is repeated weekly, so might be a little boring by the second week of a two week holiday!

Staff in this resort went out of their way to talk to the children and by the end of the second day they greeted us like long lost friends. The pool area is great, with a smaller pool for young children. Mind you, you have to be up early to get a sunbed and there were days when we had to go down to the beach as there wasn't enough room by the pool.

My teenage children loved the snorkelling down on the private beach, which was good value for money.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Dawn046

Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review. We are delighted that you had enjoyed your holiday at the Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh.

The whole Baron Team are looking so much forward to welcome you back to our resort assuring you an unforgettable second stay with us.

Kindly accept our warmest regards from the Red Sea shores.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

i have just got back from 2 weeks staying at the Baron palms and love every minute, the hotel,the grounds the beach,the weather,the staff and the food was fantastic your are totally spoilt for the whole time we stayed there there are little touches that make it that 5 star from being handed out ice cold face towles to cppl your face in the heat around the pool to being handed fruit sticks and many more to mention the hotel is so clean the staff are so friendly and the food you are spoilt. may i say the general manager Mr Hoffer was amazing, hands on with staff and guests we had the pleasure of his company many times and got to meet his lovely wife too, we had NO complaints just smiles for the 2 weeks so read this get booking and do get excited you will love it.............................thanks Mr Hoffer.

3  Thank mattdickson

Dear Guest ,

It’s a great pleasure for us, that you had a fantastic holiday with us and our hotel facilities, offers and especially the staff service could meet your expectations for an enjoyable stay.

We try so hard to please every one and ready to go an extra mile to make your holiday break worthwhile.

The whole Baron Team is looking so much forward to welcome you back assuring you an unforgettable second stay at our resort so that we may spoil you a bit more!

Kindly accept our warmest regards from the Red Sea shores.