“Absolutely fabulous”
Review of Island View Resort

Island View Resort
Ranked #56 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed June 29, 2007

What a great hotel. From the moment we arrived until we left we were treated like royalty. The staff could not be any more helpful and really friendly. The food was brilliant even for the fussiest of people with so much choice, including a nightly barbeque. Theme nights changed every evening in the main restaurant, the Italian and Oriental restaurants were included on the all inclusive as well as many times as you wanted (depending on who you book with) with at least a 24 hour advance booking. The entertainment by the main pool
was the only downside but this is general in Sharm. Naama Bay made a nice change with plenty of shops, bars and eateries, well worth a visit if you want designer bags at cheap prices. I bought a Burberry for £12.00 but you must barter to get a good price but it's worth it. The hotel was spotlessly clean and rooms are cleaned daily with fresh towels but bath towels are rather small. Don't take beach towels as they are provided with your welcome pack, we used to get a clean one when we had finished with them in the evening and use them in our room. You get 6 bottled drinks on arrival in your minibar (7 up, marinda which is like fanta orange and pepsi) also 2 bottles of water. The water is replaced daily which is great as you can't drink tap water not even for cleaning teeth. We had a Junior Suite which was excellent, twin bedroom and a double sofa bed in the lounge a small balcony off the bedroom and a larger one off the lounge which overlooked the beautiful gardens. Air conditioning was a must and was so nice to get in the cool after the blazing sun.
The beach was nice as well but don't expect soft sand, it's like a gritty sand but still not bad. Beach bar was good you could help yourself to water and juices and a separate bar for food which had burgers, hotdogs, chips and popcorn. There was watersports available and a massage tent. Snorkelling was great off the two pontoons with some really colourful fish, some of which are camera shy!!! There are shops in the hotel and a few opposite as well for souvenirs and snacks etc at reasonable prices. I will be returning in September and cannot wait.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nenoMiltonKeynes
Write a ReviewReviews (2,709)

Reviewed June 27, 2007

4 of us went away for a fortnight and stayed for 2 weeks. When we first got to the airport we did not have transfer so got a bedouin taxi which we got for about 100 egyptian pound but taht should have cost us aruound 40, just a tip for othres in our situation. Welcome was ok and were shown to our room, the rooms were large but we had booked 2 doubles and got twin beds which we were disapointed with and ended up sleeping on the crack for two weeks. Also most of the lights in our room did not work but everything else was fine and the rooms were cleaned daily. The gardens and resort as a whole were very clean and the pools are fab except the animation by pool 2 can get a bit repetitive and you need to get up early to reserve a sunbeds. the two a la carte restaurants were limited in choice and nothing to right home about and there was nothing wrong with the buffets but nothing right either, so if food is important to you i would not expect too much from this hotel, i am pregnant so taste buds might be playing me up a bit and is a foreign country The beach is quite a walk and if you wanta burger for lunch it is a bit of trek but snorkelling was fab and definately worth doing. entertainment at night by pool is painful towards the second week and i personally found the restaurant staff lechourous and it made me feel a bit uncomfortable at times. Bar staff nice and also pool staff and cleaners though. My husband got gastroenteritis on 2nd day there and was so sick but doctor was very good and he was eating again the next day and out about, this could have been dodgy sausages at gatwick airport though. Expect to get a dodgy stomach at some point throughout the holiday, this is egypt though i think. Quad biking was very good fun and victoria bar was cool and where we were most of the evenings playing cards.

2  Thank whiteswan1
Reviewed June 20, 2007

highly recommended hotel, pools are very nice and have fantastic water slides, rooms are very nice and spacious although did have very large ants in the bathroom but called reception and they sprayed the room and only had the odd one or two after that (nothing a shoe cant sort out!! ha) air con in rooms are very good and trust me in june you need it!
Main hotel was always clean and tidy and everyone of the hotel staff cannot do enough for you (the manager even brought us ice cream!! dont think you would get that in UK)
All waiters are very friendly and service is excellent, very friendly bar staff as well, always smiling and friendly!We were there for hen week and five women alone can get hassle but to be honest everyone was polite and none of us had to tell anyone to go away as they just wanted to chat.
Naama bay is great..if you like good sing song go to The tavern bar on wed/sun ...excellent night!! although watch out as egyptians will show you the way via there shops just head for the bright lights you wont go wrong!
All together i have to give this hotel 10 out of 10 as im so happy with it im going back in september!! yahoo cant wait.....!!!!!

4  Thank jax137
Reviewed June 18, 2007

It was our first time to Egypt...

We got the the airport and were pestered by men who try to take your cases from you and then expect money. I learnt to say "La Shukran" before i went so i was prepared. (This means 'No Thankyou')

We thought the hotel we were going to was the sister hotel to this one, Sunrise Island Garden as thats what all of our documents said...however when we got to this hotel we were told there were no rooms therefore we were redirected to Sunrise Island View... (to which we had to pay the taxi for!!!) however i read before that Island View is better than Island Gardens so this was not a problem.

The Hotel*****.....the hotel is fabulous...there is no doubt about that!! The gardens and ponds and fountains around the hotel are beautiful and well maintained and the pools are lovely too...theres a pool for everyone....a loud pool with pool bar and entertainment and some quieter pools for those without kids! Clean sheets and towels are provided everyday, with complimentary bottles of water everyday.The aircon is good...and the rooms are nice presented and of good size with wonderful views.

The Drinks **.... I only like Blue WKD or Smirnoff Ice and other alcopops like that so the vodka, whiskey, brandy and rum variety were not enough for me. When mixed with lemonade, coke, orangade etc the vodka seemed to have the same preculiar taste. The sex on the beach was nice, so if u can drink that for a full week then go for it. I ended up hardly drinking anything alcoholic which is wonderful for me. So this put quite a dampner on our holiday.

The food**...Again...i am not a big eater. And i'm not a fan of not knowing what i'm eating, especially when it comes to meat. If your fussy you may struggle. The pasta was nice. So i ate pasta, salad and chips every day for a week...

Entertainment*....absolutely terrible! The comedy show was the worst thing i have ever seen in my life. We left after 5minutes and didn't go back. Think this one is for the kids and the extremely drunk!!! The disco upstairs: there were 2 old biddies bopping away when we went in, again we left pronto...

Going out***....Naama Bay is only a 20minute drive away. You shouldn't really take a taxi as they are all dodge pots however the driver service from the hotel is pretty good. Plus its only 130L.E which is about £13...Naama Bay itself is nice however it is plagues with people trying to sell you things and get you in to their bars. The Tavern..which is the only English pub is a bit of a dive but the atmosphere was good. Little Buddha is great for the young and funky ones of you out there like myself lol. Pacha is supposed to be good but we didnt end up going, the night we were gonna go it was a foam party so we decided against it. TGI's fridays is the same as the U.K, not special and overpriced and Hard Rock apparently u needed tickets which we didn't get. Whether this is true or not i don't know. Oh and the driver service is only on from hotel til about 2am...so if u want to stay out later than that...well....you can't!...

The Staff:....The downpoint of the holiday. If you are under the age of 35 and attractive in anyway shape size or form then prepare to be hounded for the duration of your holiday. The women in Egypt do not work. So the men run this hotel. As if (some) men are not arrogant enough anyway, the staff in this hotel seem to begrudge Westerners. If you don't laugh and joke with them (which becomes very tedious after they ask your name EVERYTIME you go to the bar) then they can be very rude!!! And SLOW....how a simple task such as getting a cup of water with ice can take 10minutes i do not know.
From the moment you walk out of the door and see the room cleaners who gauk, to walking to the pool passing the gardeners who stare, to getting a drink they stare and laugh with each other speaking arabic....you will feel intimidated! I may go back to Egypt, when i'm 45. But the 4 of us between the ages of 19 - 25 would not go back anytime soon. It felt as though we were not accepted....

Things i would recommend though: Snorkelling, Paragliding, the Star Gazing trip....all excellent!!

3  Thank littleamanda
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Firstly as most people have pointed out this is not an English 5 star more a 4 star. however I'd say public area's were 5 star, very very clean and well maintained.
Rooms are very comfortable and air conditioning is a life saver! Mini Bar in room is stocked once a week and is included in All inclusive (only soft drinks tho but bottled water is replaced every day. ) For an All Inclusive hotel it is the best one I've ever been to. There is a bar (Victoria Bar) that is open 24hrs and it is All inclusive 24hrs!!!
I could not fault the food, even get gravy which is rare abroad! Yes by the end of two weeks it can start to get repetitive but the desserts are amazing, I've never seen such an assortment, even Apple Crumble! I've stayed all over the world and to go to Asia (its owned by Egypt now but forms part of Asia) and get Apple Crumble is a treat!
Book with hotel direct and you can use use the Italian and Oriental Restaurant as many times as you like as part of your All Inclusive but Thomas Cook clients could only use it once. I persoannly did not enjoy the Italian and had much better meal in the main restaurant, but the Oriental Restaurant is out of this world with amazing views over the beach. the food was excellent, I had a mixed grill and they bring the grill to your table meat still cooking, fish is excellent too. All over the hotel the service is excellent. Reception have difficulty sometimes understanding and if you are Scottish take a interpreter lol...but to be honest I'm English and have difficulty understanding my Scottish friends! The male room maid (All male because 1, there are not enough jobs and 2, women are not allowed to work or have an education as the country is mostly Muslim) worked hard but never swept the floor in the bathroom, get used to the giant ants, we had loads in our bathroom. One serious point was that we used to get electric shock whilst in the shower, touching the metal or if you put the shower spray onto the tiles you got a shock off the wall. We did report this to reception but it never got repaired - we survived tho!
Be advised Pool attendants (who do an excellent job do not allow children to wear coloured cotton shirts in the swimming pool, which I thought was weird seeing as Muslim women had coloured traditional dress on in the pool? I personally thought it was a shame for the muslim women, especially as they had to keep fully covered in about 3 layers of clothes whilst in swimming pool, husband however, was able to show off his big fat belly and skimpy swim shorts!)
If you like to have an umbrella with your sunbed you will need to be an early riser, there are actually people claiming them and sitting on sunbeds at 5.30AM even tho pool didn't officially open until 8AM... I kid you not! the hotel was not very strict at enforcing the rules. Swim up bar in pool one was brilliant but difficult to get served.
Overall this is a fantastic hotel, entertainment is not too bad apart from only having one Thomas Cook rep who could actually sing!
The staff do like to be tipped and will grab a bag out of your hand like lightening so that you feel obliged to tip!
big tip is to not take Egyptian Pounds, take Dollars, everything was in Dollars. they do accept Egyptian Pounds but prefer dollars as they get better exchange rate etc. I got change from supermarket (also 24hrs) in english pounds!
Taxi from airport was 100 LE (Egypt Pounds) they tried to get it for 200 but be firm, on way back to airport you can get it for 50LE..we used hotels taxi at set rate of 60LE it was air conditioned and actually had seat belts and door handles....see the blue and white taxis and you will know what i mean. Even if you not religious you will end up saying a prayer at end of your journey on one of those!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank davemaz
Reviewed June 8, 2007

I have just returned from a week at the Sunrise Island View Hotel in Sharm over the half term in may
I t was just myself and my son who is 13

Dont mistake this hotel with its sister hotel which is across the road and has twin room not suite I f you can afford it stay in the junior suites in this hotel as they are lovely
We paid £900 for a week all inclusive and we had an amazing room with two balconies seperate living room with a huge sofa bed and a twin bedroom and a lovely bathroom with a proger power shower. This room was a junior suite the rooms are all like little two sto rey villas in blocks Even the Tv channels were ok with csi miami and top gear showing the safe are also free in the rooms which was a pleasent surprise
We were in room 142 which is on the top floor close to the main resturant bar pools ect

The hotel it self is a little dated but clean and spacious but the grounds and the beach are truly amazing there seemd to be more staff than guests , always cleaning something

For kids it really is paradise even though we came on our own we soon made friends and i did naot really see my son for the rest of the holiday he was constantly busy, resulting with him staying at a friends room one night and then his friend staying with us for one night

The hotel is very safe and i had no problems allowing my son to wander around on the premises with his new friends
for those people who have moaned about this place take no notice
I have done youth hostels, 5 star hotels in Mexico and Cuba and 2and 3 start hotels in europe and this is one of the best laid out and beautifull hotels i have been to in along time

there are if i can remember 4 pools on this comlplex
The food is not great but its more than enough and its so bloody hot anyway who wants to eat heavy foods anyway and im not a fussy eater
Their is are several shop across the road including a super market, bank, internet shop, and chemist, all apart from the bank are open till around midnight

For all those ladies who are dieting or over eating you can buy reductuil slimming pills for £8 for a month supply compared with £100 here in the uk from the local chemist

For me the beach was the best bit of this hotel in three levels with two flotting jetty to access the most amazing coral reef ever
Their is a resutrant, which i thought was the nicest one at the hotel with great views and it seemed to be more formal than the other main resturant
Their was also a great beach bar ( soft drinks only ) and snack bar which dose really nice food, the best thing is that n the beach their is always plenty of sun beds you can litrally take your pick which is not the case around the main pools where you have to be up early to get a sunbed

The snorkleing is out of this world just simply fab you can buy snorkel stuff from the local shop for a few pounds
In short this is a fab hotel with great immaculate grounds ideal for familes and friends and couples I cant comment on the entertainment as i did not watch an ybut my son did and he said it was ok on some nights and very good on others

I liked it so much i am going back in august for another two weeks this time with my husband

Top tip take one of those travel mug with a lid on it specially when you go to the beach as they give you really small plastic cup and beakers. One mouthfull and they are gone
The only thing that i think they should do is to put a bar of some kikind near the quite pool as it is a long way to get a drink

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank charlearhodes
Reviewed June 2, 2007

As other reviews have already stated, this is 5 Egyptian stars but in our terms closer to 3-4 stars, but still a great place to stay.

The one thing that stuck out most was the excellent service. We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived until we left. The staff go out of their way to ensure that your stay is comfortable and enjoyable.

As it is an all inclusive, the only money you will really need is for tips. When at beach/pool bars, I usually tipped at the time of service (usually 2LE a time). As for the waiters at the restaurant and the hosekeeping staff, I left 100LE for both at the end of the trip rather than tipping each time. 1LE is about €0.13 / £0.09. I know the amounts I mentioned don't sound much but it is the norm for Egypt.

The restaurant was pretty good, but the local cuisine may not be to everybody's taste. A really good selection of foods for each of the three main meals, dinner had a different theme each night. I would definitely recommend the Italian restaurant but you need to book it 1-2 days ahead (included in AI).

To be honest, I did not spend a huge amount of time sampling the daytime facilities as I spent the whole week diving. On the last day though, I spent the whole day at he pool/beach and I can only wish I spent more time there. There are four really good pools, one with a swim up bar. The beach itself is not much but the snorkelling off the end of the jetty is fantastic, there is an abundance of coral and fish right under your nose.

This hotel is well away from Naama Bay, main area of Sharm El Sheikh, but to be honest, everything you need is at this resort. A taxi to Naama Bay costs about 40LE, where there are plenty of restaurants, shops, diving centres and bars. Plus of course, there are the "friendly" locals on the streets trying to sell their wares but for anybody who has been to other parts of Egypt e.g. Cairo or Aswan, Sharm is very mild in comparison.

We booked our trip independantly and had to organise our own transfer from the airport. We could not get any lower than 120LE for the blue/white taxi and judging by other reviews that seems to be the norm.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends