“AMAZING STAFF, GREAT SWIMMING POOLS AND GROUNDS”
Review of Island View Resort

Ranked #71 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“AMAZING STAFF, GREAT SWIMMING POOLS AND GROUNDS”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was our second visit to Island View Resort (last year’s Sunrise Island View) and it was well worth it. We had an efficient check in, offered a fruit drink and then taken to our apartment, which was situated near to swimming pool 1 – not a great location if you want peace and quiet, but near to the restaurants! Although this was clean and spacious, it screamed of being old fashioned and in need of refurbishment. The lighting was poor – 2 of the lamps did not work, but were replaced the following day. There were 2 single beds with firm pillows (swopped for softer ones – again the following day). There was a sitting area leading on to a small balcony with table and 2 chairs which overlooked lawns and other apartments - beware of the mosquitoes! The bathroom was spacious and there was a powerful shower with plenty of hot water and nice towels. A free safe was provided in the wardrobe and we discovered a small fridge in a lounge cupboard half way through the week! Bottled water was provided every day. The main restaurant has a wide variety of foods – plenty of choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The waiters are absolutely amazing – particularly Ahmed Shobek, who remembered us from last year and gave us a wonderful welcome. He made sure we had a table every meal and kept us topped up with drinks. The bar staff are excellent, friendly, efficient and they always made sure we weren’t pushed out by the other holidaymakers (mostly Russians), who can be incredibly bad mannered and pushy. The only disappointment was the lack of wine at any of the outside bars – I’m sure wine was an option last year at these bars. Try the Italian Restaurant – La Trattoria. Although there is a limited menu, the food is excellent and it is great to be away from the very busy main restaurant! There are 4 fantastic swimming pools – 1 and 2 have the slides, activities, music and are situated near to the restaurant. Pool 3 is for adults only (no children under 15) – pity some parents can’t read the notices! The only disadvantage with this pool is the lack of a bar. Pool 4 has been recently refurbished and overlooks the beach and sea. The beach is somewhat crowded but has plenty of sun beds. There are pontoons from the beach to the sea to look at the coral/fish and to swim and snorkel. Apparently the hotel boasts a Children’s Club, Spa, Gym, tennis, billiards and a beauty centre. They also offer babysitting and money exchange (2 separate services)!! The Animation Team worked hard to provide entertainment – holidaymakers are encouraged to participate in some of the shows! There are several shops situated just off reception area, which offer a wide variety of goods. One of the personnel in the Guest Service centre was extremely helpful and made sure we had ‘pick up’ information before we left – a very welcome bonus.

Soho Square (a few minutes walk away) is worth a visit and has restaurants, pubs, shops, entertainment water fountains that 'dance' to music, an ice-skating rink and duty free shop (goods must be purchased within 3 days of your arrival)! The whole area is ‘hassle
free'.

Room Tip: Nearer to the beach, although these could be more expensive.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank margaret_swift10
IslandViewRe, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Margaret_swift10,

Thank you for your detailed and helpful review. All the comments have been passed to the Heads of Departments and being useful for improving the quality of our service. We are so pleased that we had opportunity to host you during your holiday.
We will start a refurbishment program in the hotel and for sure the new changes will make your next stay with us more comfortable.
We hope to see you any time in our resort and you are always welcomed!
If you have any request, please do not hesitate to contact us when you plan to return to our hotel via Facebook page or by email info@islandview-egypt.com

Kindest regards,
Island View Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Hotel was stunning; the room we were given had amazing views of the red sea; also one of the 4 swimming pools; and some of the gardens. Breakfast was really nice; many choices; omlettes; boiled&scrambled eggs; pancackes etc; buffet meals were ok but there are many other restaurants to choose from with better food. There are many bars and all the staff were very friendly and helpfull; and all this is supplied without expextations of a tip,although saying that a small tip every now and then will be welcomed. Soho square 2 mins walk from hotel, plenty of bars and restaurants, hsbc bank, cash machines, and shops galore there's even a duty free shop which is cheaper than the airport, but you need your passport to purchase things. Finally the russians, yes they are very rude and think the world owes them a favour, and the way they treat the egyptians is disgusting, but i treated them like they treated everyone else, they do tend to be a bit friendlier then, all in all the holiday was amazing and will be going back in 2013, can't wait

Room Tip: rooms overlooking pool 4 are by far the best, stunning sea views, much quieter tends to be adults on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chris b
IslandViewRe, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Chris,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write nice review.
The guests satisfaction is the main priority for us. We are so delighted to see that you had an amazing holiday in our resort. It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest.
We hope to see your again!
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any information or requests via our facebook page or by emailing info@islandview-egypt.com

Kindest regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

So we landed and jumped in our private transfer (A2B £14 return for 2) for the 10 minute trip to the hotel. The taxi driver joked how much he loved the English and hated the Russians. We assumed he said the opposite to the Russians ! Turned out later on he wasn't joking. Obviously only being 10 minutes away meant we had loud aircraft noise during the day till around 11 at night. Once you got used to it you rarely noticed it.

So we arrived at the hotel, checked in and were taken to our room. The room was huge and nice & clean. Separate lounge/bedroom and 2 balconies. Standard beds and plenty of wardrobe space with a free safe inside. With a few English channels on the TV the room exceeded expectations by a mile. The bath needed a wipe round but everything else was ok.

As we arrived in the evening we went straight to dinner after unpacking. We went to the main restaurant which had pretty much standard holiday food. 2 types of soup and plenty of different breads to choose from & the mains were essentially rice/meat/vegetable dishes with a few things cooked fresh outside. The food in the main (apart from British night) was geared towards the 99% Russian occupancy. British night aside I lived off soup and bread with a rice + anything that looked ok on top for evening meal. If you're a fussy eater then you'll eat out more often than dining in. Lunch was the same as the evening and we never actually made breakfast. On the plus side the snacks by the main pool were fresh pizza & chips. Obviously slipping the chefs a few Egyptian pounds will get you a whole fresh pizza instead of waiting for the slices, which incidentally the Russians think nothing of taking them all ! There are other restaurants on site that require booking but we never used these.

There are 2 pools with a slide in to each and plenty of loungers to go round. Entertainment during the day was cantered around the heated pool which we avoided as it was all Russians. We mainly sat by the 3rd quiet pool which is where we met 2 of only 3 English couples.

The evening entertainment in the amphitheatre was again dominated by Russians but the DJ did a fantastic job and translated the majority in to English. The entertainment was again standard holiday fare with dancing/Mr. & Mrs./ comedy show. Let's just say it passed the time.

Overall the hotel was superb with friendly staff BUT it was 99.9% Russians. This spoilt the holiday somewhat and had we known we would have booked somewhere else. Apparently they descend on Sharm during the bitter Russian winter. The summer season may be different but I would avoid Sharm during the winter and hit the Canaries.

Thanks to the staff who tried to make our stay as pleasant as possible despite the Russians.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank N0rthernGeezer
Dear N0rthernGeezer,

Many thanks for taking time to write us a nice review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had nice words to say about our hotel.
We appreciate your lovely review concerning our hotel facilities and positive comments about our team.
I would like to share the latest news about the hotel: we have an excellent renovation plan for our resort and it will not affect the delightful atmosphere of our hotel.
We really hope you will visit us again!
For your requests and any information, please contact us before arrival on info@islandview-egypt.com

Sincerely Yours,
Warwickshire
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I'd stayed at the Island View Resort a few years ago with my daughter. This time I travelled alone on a last minute deal. I requested a room down at the sea end of the complex rather than the hotel/entertainment end and was very happy with the allocated room. The rooms are a little dated but very comfortable and no problems whatsoever with the facilities. I did change rooms after the first day and got a super king size bed.

The buffet restaurant was fine although very manic at times but this was down to the majority Russian guests and not the staff. Special thanks to Islam .. he's great. The Italian Restaurant is fantastic and I enjoyed the food at Fatima's as well. I had booked for the seafood ala carte restaurant but enjoyed the Italian so much I cancelled and went there again instead. Hello to the chef at the Italian too, and the lovely waiting staff. You can also eat at the Italian for lunch.

Special "hello" and "thanks" to Amr at Pool 3 pool bar, and Mohammed and Mahmoud there too.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and management at the hotel and they made me feel so welcome. I am definitely returning and this time hope to take my daughter with me.

Room Tip: It can get noisy around the main pool/restaurant area at night so request a room closest to the beac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank KayandMaz
Dear KayandMaz,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and many thanks for leaving a nice review.We are so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time during your holiday.
I have transferred your special greetings to all concerned members of our team and all of them were so glad to receive your warm greetings.
I will be so happy if you let us to know about your forthcoming visit for to give the best service and things to be ready before you come.
We look forward to your next visit, please contact us via email: info@islandview-egypt.com

Kindest Regards,
Quality and Guest Relation Manager
sham el sheik
Reviewed November 26, 2012

thank's to all staff we had a great holiday second time round and would go back food was fab service great the chef came to talk to you realy sweet guy,was busy we made friends easy with lots of people! we stayed in room 156 clean maybe the bathroom neads refurbishing look's tired didnt like the dacron duvet so the cleaner gave me extra cotton sheets, Tracey and rachel will bend over backwards to help in any way they can,tracy may remember us ? she gave 6 of us a trip round the new refurbish room its fab near pool 4, that was the pool we sunbathed most days and the young towel boy was so friendley we have a manchester united t shirt to send him and wonder the best way to post from u.k. as we have been told that some items sent may not get there? would you let me know Tracey or rachel thanks xx from sue and tonyxx

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WalesShamElSheik
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I don't think I have ever written a bad review but am afraid I have to this time.

I booked into this hotel on the 31st Oct as an alternative to the usual place I stay, - I fancied a change-
On arrival there was no welcome drink, not really any nice welcome at all just herded off to my room, this I was willing to forget, room was ok except air conditioning was on hot and couldn't get it to blow cold air, again I thought I'd get that sorted in the morning.
So after unpacking I went to bed to be awoken by the room phone ringing at 1:30AM, when I answered it there was an Egyptian on the other end using my full name and welcoming me to the hotel - he then asked if he could come to my room for sex.......what a shock.
I have been travelling alone to Egypt for years and have never come across this sort of behaviour previously, I can normally handle myself very well but this made me feel very uncomfortable, I slept with the light on and door firmly bolted.
In the morning I immediatly complained to the holiday rep, who passed my complaint to Rachel, Rachel was very sympathetic and that's the only reason I'm giving 1 rating. She did however insist it must have been a Russian phoning, no, it was not a Russian, it was someone who knew my full name which is only on my passport and had an Egyptian accent.
I expected the manager (at least) of the hotel to come and see me but nothing; no apology, no investigation nothing......
It took the whole of that day for me to get a room in my usual hotel so unfortunately I had to stay another night, now as I was feeling very uncomfortable I asked for room service expecting this to be gratis, but no I had to pay.
On leaving the hotel the next day I was herded out and shoved in a taxi, no apology from anyone.
Thank god for my usualy hotel and wonderful staff who were also very very shocked when I got there and told them.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank MK13_11
IslandViewRe, Quality Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear MK13_11,

Thank You for leaving a review and I'm sad to see you gave the hotel 1/5.

This experience is not a common issue in the hotel and I can assure you a full investigation was made. I'm sure you are aware I would have made every effort to be there at your departure if you had advised me you were leaving the hotel.

I would like to apologise once again but do not feel the need to discuss this issue further on an open review site.

I wish you happy travels in the future and hope this experience has not put you off visiting our wonderful country.

Kindest Regards
Rachel Glennerster
Quality Manager Island View Resort
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel and its staff are fantastic! We (Myself, my husband and our Son) returned from a very relaxing one week holiday on 5th November so we were staying at the hotel when it was half term. We were told the hotel was full but the only time you realised that was at meal times, and even then we never had a problem getting a table or hot food, the restaurant was well equipped to deal with the large amount of people to feed. The Head Chef (sorry can't remember his name) was a lovely, very visible person who came to our table to ask us for our views on the catering, he runs an excellent department which is a credit to the hotel. The Italian restaurant and its staff are excellent and we ate there many times.
The four pools are lovely and there was never a problem getting sun beds. (Special thanks to the lad who gets the sun beds at Pool 1, he was there every morning with a smiling face and a ‘good morning’ and would rush over to sort me out some sun beds, nothing was too much trouble. The Beach is a good size, has a lovely bar and snack bar and lots of activities going on throughout the day, although it was very busy with Russians. We only went down there to go snorkelling, which is excellent.
I was concerned that my Son who was 17 might find it a bit boring, but no, the animation team were very enthusiastic and the Water Polo Match in the mornings certainly woke him up! Especially when it was against the Russians!! The other British People there that week were a great bunch and we had some laughs.
Soho Square is new since we last visted Sharm and is a great walk out in the evening, plenty to do and see and ‘no hassle’ shops.
Our room was fine for the three of us, it was clean, spacious and the air con was great. What more do you want!
The only slight criticism is the evening entertainment which was mainly geared to the Russian and Eastern European contingent, but to be fair there were very few British people at the Hotel. Next year this should increase with more English Travel Agents using this Hotel.
As I said earlier all the staff at this hotel are fantastic, Rachel and Tracey (the two English ladies who work there) are so helpful always finding time for us, even though they work very long hours and again nothing was too much trouble for them. (Rachel you are a Star!!– I hope you had a great Birthday!) Mohamed who runs the bars around pool 1 - what a lovely chap always very happy to help. It is quite humbling to see how pleased the staff are just to get a please and thank you and a smile. (They certainly don’t get it from the Russians!)We received fantastic service all week from everyone, without exception (and tipped accordingly at the end of the week).
Yes there are lots of Russians at the hotel, just get over it! We found most of the Russians liked to spend their day on the beach so as we spent most of our time around the pool 1 we never encountered any problems.
Can’t wait to return!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rose M
IslandViewRe, Quality Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Rose M,

Greeting from The Island View and many thanks for your review.

I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay wth us and of course, we look forward to your return.

I will pass on your comments to all our team especially our new Area Executive Chef (Chef Nur) for their time and dedication to ensuring all our guests have a great stay.

Thanks for the birthday message and we await your sons return in the animation team! lol

Please do not hesitate to contact us at info@islandview-egypt.com before your return.

Kindest Regards