“A relaxing time”

Ranked #73 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Warwickshire
“A relaxing time”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I'd stayed at the Island View Resort a few years ago with my daughter. This time I travelled alone on a last minute deal. I requested a room down at the sea end of the complex rather than the hotel/entertainment end and was very happy with the allocated room. The rooms are a little dated but very comfortable and no problems whatsoever with the facilities. I did change rooms after the first day and got a super king size bed.

The buffet restaurant was fine although very manic at times but this was down to the majority Russian guests and not the staff. Special thanks to Islam .. he's great. The Italian Restaurant is fantastic and I enjoyed the food at Fatima's as well. I had booked for the seafood ala carte restaurant but enjoyed the Italian so much I cancelled and went there again instead. Hello to the chef at the Italian too, and the lovely waiting staff. You can also eat at the Italian for lunch.

Special "hello" and "thanks" to Amr at Pool 3 pool bar, and Mohammed and Mahmoud there too.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and management at the hotel and they made me feel so welcome. I am definitely returning and this time hope to take my daughter with me.

Room Tip: It can get noisy around the main pool/restaurant area at night so request a room closest to the beac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank KayandMaz
IslandViewRe, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear KayandMaz,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and many thanks for leaving a nice review.We are so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time during your holiday.
I have transferred your special greetings to all concerned members of our team and all of them were so glad to receive your warm greetings.
I will be so happy if you let us to know about your forthcoming visit for to give the best service and things to be ready before you come.
We look forward to your next visit, please contact us via email: info@islandview-egypt.com

Kindest Regards,
Feyza Ozyurt
Quality and Guest Relation Manager
Island View Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
sham el sheik
Reviewed November 26, 2012

thank's to all staff we had a great holiday second time round and would go back food was fab service great the chef came to talk to you realy sweet guy,was busy we made friends easy with lots of people! we stayed in room 156 clean maybe the bathroom neads refurbishing look's tired didnt like the dacron duvet so the cleaner gave me extra cotton sheets, Tracey and rachel will bend over backwards to help in any way they can,tracy may remember us ? she gave 6 of us a trip round the new refurbish room its fab near pool 4, that was the pool we sunbathed most days and the young towel boy was so friendley we have a manchester united t shirt to send him and wonder the best way to post from u.k. as we have been told that some items sent may not get there? would you let me know Tracey or rachel thanks xx from sue and tonyxx

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WalesShamElSheik
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I don't think I have ever written a bad review but am afraid I have to this time.

I booked into this hotel on the 31st Oct as an alternative to the usual place I stay, - I fancied a change-
On arrival there was no welcome drink, not really any nice welcome at all just herded off to my room, this I was willing to forget, room was ok except air conditioning was on hot and couldn't get it to blow cold air, again I thought I'd get that sorted in the morning.
So after unpacking I went to bed to be awoken by the room phone ringing at 1:30AM, when I answered it there was an Egyptian on the other end using my full name and welcoming me to the hotel - he then asked if he could come to my room for sex.......what a shock.
I have been travelling alone to Egypt for years and have never come across this sort of behaviour previously, I can normally handle myself very well but this made me feel very uncomfortable, I slept with the light on and door firmly bolted.
In the morning I immediatly complained to the holiday rep, who passed my complaint to Rachel, Rachel was very sympathetic and that's the only reason I'm giving 1 rating. She did however insist it must have been a Russian phoning, no, it was not a Russian, it was someone who knew my full name which is only on my passport and had an Egyptian accent.
I expected the manager (at least) of the hotel to come and see me but nothing; no apology, no investigation nothing......
It took the whole of that day for me to get a room in my usual hotel so unfortunately I had to stay another night, now as I was feeling very uncomfortable I asked for room service expecting this to be gratis, but no I had to pay.
On leaving the hotel the next day I was herded out and shoved in a taxi, no apology from anyone.
Thank god for my usualy hotel and wonderful staff who were also very very shocked when I got there and told them.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank MK13_11
IslandViewRe, Quality Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear MK13_11,

Thank You for leaving a review and I'm sad to see you gave the hotel 1/5.

This experience is not a common issue in the hotel and I can assure you a full investigation was made. I'm sure you are aware I would have made every effort to be there at your departure if you had advised me you were leaving the hotel.

I would like to apologise once again but do not feel the need to discuss this issue further on an open review site.

I wish you happy travels in the future and hope this experience has not put you off visiting our wonderful country.

Quality Manager Island View Resort
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel and its staff are fantastic! We (Myself, my husband and our Son) returned from a very relaxing one week holiday on 5th November so we were staying at the hotel when it was half term. We were told the hotel was full but the only time you realised that was at meal times, and even then we never had a problem getting a table or hot food, the restaurant was well equipped to deal with the large amount of people to feed. The Head Chef (sorry can't remember his name) was a lovely, very visible person who came to our table to ask us for our views on the catering, he runs an excellent department which is a credit to the hotel. The Italian restaurant and its staff are excellent and we ate there many times.
The four pools are lovely and there was never a problem getting sun beds. (Special thanks to the lad who gets the sun beds at Pool 1, he was there every morning with a smiling face and a ‘good morning’ and would rush over to sort me out some sun beds, nothing was too much trouble. The Beach is a good size, has a lovely bar and snack bar and lots of activities going on throughout the day, although it was very busy with Russians. We only went down there to go snorkelling, which is excellent.
I was concerned that my Son who was 17 might find it a bit boring, but no, the animation team were very enthusiastic and the Water Polo Match in the mornings certainly woke him up! Especially when it was against the Russians!! The other British People there that week were a great bunch and we had some laughs.
Soho Square is new since we last visted Sharm and is a great walk out in the evening, plenty to do and see and ‘no hassle’ shops.
Our room was fine for the three of us, it was clean, spacious and the air con was great. What more do you want!
The only slight criticism is the evening entertainment which was mainly geared to the Russian and Eastern European contingent, but to be fair there were very few British people at the Hotel. Next year this should increase with more English Travel Agents using this Hotel.
As I said earlier all the staff at this hotel are fantastic, Rachel and Tracey (the two English ladies who work there) are so helpful always finding time for us, even though they work very long hours and again nothing was too much trouble for them. (Rachel you are a Star!!– I hope you had a great Birthday!) Mohamed who runs the bars around pool 1 - what a lovely chap always very happy to help. It is quite humbling to see how pleased the staff are just to get a please and thank you and a smile. (They certainly don’t get it from the Russians!)We received fantastic service all week from everyone, without exception (and tipped accordingly at the end of the week).
Yes there are lots of Russians at the hotel, just get over it! We found most of the Russians liked to spend their day on the beach so as we spent most of our time around the pool 1 we never encountered any problems.
Can’t wait to return!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rose M
IslandViewRe, Quality Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Rose M,

Greeting from The Island View and many thanks for your review.

I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay wth us and of course, we look forward to your return.

I will pass on your comments to all our team especially our new Area Executive Chef (Chef Nur) for their time and dedication to ensuring all our guests have a great stay.

Thanks for the birthday message and we await your sons return in the animation team! lol

Please do not hesitate to contact us at info@islandview-egypt.com before your return.

Wolverhampton
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been lucky enough to travel quite extensively growing up, and really must rank this as one of the best holidays I have ever had.

Travelling with my wife and 2 girls (5 and 11), each one of us had a fantastic, relaxing, and highly enjoyable time, which was down to the staff and other English guests. I won't go on about the Russians, because quite frankly, they're not worth it. On the plus side, it was nice to have a good Team GB/Russia Water Polo battle, which obviously we excelled at, even with a couple of amateurs from Wellingborough on our side :-)

If I'm being perfectly honest, I didn't pay that much attention to the rooms. After all, I was on holiday, and it was extremely clean and tidy. If I'd have wanted to spend my holiday in my hotel room, I would've gone to Rhyl.

I found the food to be excellent, and can only repeat what others have previously said about Fatima's and especially the Italian restaurant. Superb food. A special thank you to Ahmed (Akkers), who every morning had a coffee ready for me, and who's customer service was impeccable.

Bars are great, once you get past the Ruskies, and as a previous reviewer suggested, try learning a little Arabic. It goes a very long way, and even if you get it completely wrong, they respect the fact you are trying. In particular, keep an eye out for Ibrahaim (Roman). Really good guy, and couldn't get enough beer down me :-)

The set up of Island View is very good with regards to the swimming pools. They cater for everyone, whether you are staying with kids, or as a couple wanting a bit of a quiet time. Thank you to Mo (from your mate, Gareth Barry) for looking after us all so well, and also my daily weather forecasts!
I can also recommend the Spa. I had the Cleopatra treatment. 2 hours worth, including Steam, Sauna, Jacuzzi, Body Scrub, Facial, and a Full body massage. Superb, but don't pay the LE.500 they were asking. Just tell them you will pay LE.350-400 (about £35), and you'll be good to go!

A huge thank you also to Rachael. Nothing is ever too much for her, and I can't speak highly enough of such an amazing job that she does!

Finally, and last but by no means least, the Animation team, who for me, made the holiday for all of us. Mido (my Water Polo partner in crime), Chris (Awight mate!), Sam (who I actually thought was English when we first met!), Kristina (Sophie says "Hello", and she really misses you), Katya (who's naff at Darts), and Vlada (Samanthaaaaaaa!). Oh, and there is some bloke called Mayki too. Only kidding mate! One of the hardest working, funny, kind, people I have met, who will not stop until you are smiling. JUPI, JUPI!!! Thanks Mayki, and don't forget, Barrie Holding on Facebook. I've got those tunes to send you over!

To summarise, just book up, and find out for yourself. We are already organising our trip back in May next year. See everyone soon...!

Barrie, Becci, Leila and Sophie
30th October - 6th November

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BarrieHolding
IslandViewRe, Quality Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Barrie and family,

Many thansk fro your review on Tripadvisor.

We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to do so aswell as being wonderful guests during your stay. We miss you and the girls and hope to see you again soon.

I will print this email now for all departments to see and pass a copy to Mykey to make sure he adds you on facebook.

Please let us know when your return so we can organise things this end for you.

Kindest Reagrds
Quality manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I went to the Island View Hotel in September 2010 for our Honeymoon - and had the most amazing time. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. A couple of quid tip at the start of the holiday (which is nothing to us but a lot to them) was happily received. The food in the main restaurant was always varied and fresh. Breakfast was amazing, freshly made omelettes on a daily basis. We enjoyed the holiday so much, we returned the follownig August with our children and friends for our first wedding anniversary. Again, great staff and a great holiday. Some of the staff even remembered us from the previouis year! Unfortunately we couldn't get away this year, but am looking forward to returning to this hotel in July next year.

When I have read some of the negative reports, I have ignored them. A slight stain in the bath, a cracked tile around the toilet, too many Russians!!! None of these would ruin my holiday. I ate well, slept very well, drank far too much and enjoyed the Egyptian sunshine and the hospitality of the staff.

Hoping some of my favourite staff are still there when I return.

Room Tip: I prefer a room nearer the main pool with the swim up bar - not far to go in the mornings.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank theboyds2010
IslandViewRe, Quality Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear theboyds2010,

Thank You very much for your review. Our ultimate aim is to create and maintain repeat guest who come to the hotel to enjoy all we have to offer in a friendly and welcoming environment.

We look forward to your next visit, please email us before arrival on info@islandview-egypt.com or contact us by visiting our facebook page.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We recently came back from a 1 week family holiday at this hotel. The hotel is set in very pretty, well maintained grounds. Our accomodation was very nice, and spacious we always had hot water, the rooms were made up and cleaned every day. There seemed to be an ongoing programme of maintenance and refurbishment and I understand that the hotel has a new manager who is making some sweeping changes.
On our second day we all became ill, I won't go into details but suffice to say it was an unpleasant 3 days missed of our holiday. During our sickness the staff were outstanding, especially Tracy (guest relations) who ensured that we were taken to the Doctors, she personally picked up our prescribed medicine from the pharmacy and brought it to our room, she also made sure that we had food brought to our room and extra water e.t.c. Rachel (quality manager) also called to ensure we had everything we needed, nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff and they are a real credit to the hotel.

Food; something for everyone, if you don't see anything you like have a word with a member of the catering team they are really keen to please.
Beach: Great beach but a bit too crowded for our tastes, the snorkelling was great but again very crowded.
Swimming Pools; all pools are now fully open, again there is something for everyone.
Russians; Yes there are more Russians than any other nationality but I don't see this as a bad thing, yes they can be rude and I didn't have a single smile returned. It works in our favour as they generally (not all) dont say please or thank you and don't have eye contact with the staff, the result of this is that the staff are more inclined towards the Europeans and if you lean a few words of Arabic you will get star treatment.
Entertainment; Lots going on for those who like to join in, no pressure if you just want to watch.

I'd like to say a personal thank you to all the staff for a superb holiday, especially Tracy, Rachel and Dr Ramez no hard feeling for the needles, hopefully next time it will be smaller.

Nicola, Stuart & Paige

Room Tip: Email Tracy at the hotel, she will be delighted to assist I'm sure
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nicola W
IslandViewRe, Quality Manager at Island View Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Nicola and Family,

Many thanks for leaving us a Tripadvisor review. We hope you had a safe and enjoyable journey home.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed you stay with us and you managed to get some time in the sun and out and about despite your illness. As always, I will ensure all heads of department are aware of your comments and I will pop across to the clinic to show the doctor!

We hope you will return soon for more lizard hunting and less needles.