“Average at best.”

Ranked #65 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Average at best.”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Before reading this review, please be aware that I am not the kind of person who ever complains and I don't consider myself to have high standards but there were some aspects of this hotel that definitely need improving. This is just my experience. I actually work within a hotel myself so know that you cannot please everybody all of the time, and that standards are going to be different abroad.

ARRIVAL:
Arrived at Gatwick at 10am for a 1pm departure to be told the flight was delayed until 6pm. Not too much bother as we were given a food voucher and had a browse around the shops (Although we had booked these flights deliberatelt as it meant we'd arrive at the hotel around 9pm and in time for dinner, as it turns out due to the delayed flight we didnt arrive until after 2.30am). Upon arrival at Sharm airport, walked our bags to the transfer coach where we were met by the driver who insisted we tip him (stuck his hand out) before he would put our bags in the storage area. I feel this is totally unacceptable! I am not tight with money, however I do begrudge tipping people for something as simple as this. I have read on here other people having the same issue, however I simply said that we hadnt changed our currency yet and I put my bags on myself! I was a little worried they would be tampered with or deliberately left behind, however of course they were not. Just say no to him and put them on yourself! Check in at the hotel was unorganised, only one person on the desk and around 12 people all trying to check in at the same time (and no body seemed to form a queue)! Were walked to our room by a member of staff and our bags followed around 2 minutes later. Our room number 224 overlooked pool number 3. As we were jet lagged and didnt finish unpacking til gone 4am, we overslept the next morning and awoke in time to catch lunch so technically missed the half of our first day (our own fault really!)

POOLS:
4 pools all of ample size, but we spent most of our holiday round the quiet pool as it suited our needs best as a couple and was closest to our room. As like most other people on here, I had to get up at 7 every day to get a sun bed. We didn't tip the pool attendant and he was rude and unhelpful towards us I feel because of this. Many times I would go down to place my towels upon empty unoccupied beds to be told that I was not allowed that bed. Also, as a small petite female, I was left to struggle opening and closing the parasol whilst the pool attendant watched (very kindly nearby guests at the would assist me). In hindsight maybe we should have tipped him, but again I feel it unneccessary to tip absolutely everybody just to ensure you receive some form of service! Tips are meant to be given after you receive good service, not to ensure you get it! In fact the only people we did tip were the cleaners and the luggage handlers.

ROOM:
Our room was fine, yes a little dated but you are after all in egypt so it was fine for what we used it for, sleeping and washing. It was nice to have a separate seating area and a large balcony overlooking the pool. Howver the bath in the bathroom was a nightmare. There was no plug in the tub for starters, so i had to use a face cloth to block the plug long enough to have a wash. Upon pulling out the cloth, the drain on the bath room floor would flood, filling the bathroom floor with dirty water due to the bath water running down the drain. The only way to overcome this was to let the water drain out at a snails pace. Very time consuming and annoying, but I did it for the sake of being able to have a hot bath!
Also our beds were made as twin beds and not double as requested and booked by Thomas Cook.

FOOD & DRINK:
Food in the hotel was pretty boring and dull. Breakfast was probably the best, with toast, omlettes, pancakes, cereals etc. I daren't even try the meats after reading horror stories on here about tummy bugs etc, so I ended up living off pizza, chips and bread rolls all week (a little tiresome on all inclusive!)
The bars only allow you to get one drink at a time, and in very small plastic cups, so if you are thirsty you have to keep going up to get more. The alcohol tastes like perfume, and is very strong, but if you are looking to get drunk then it works wonders ;-) They do some lovely fruity non alocoholic cocktails and i thoroughly enjoyed these.

Soho square was lovely and I enjoyed being able to leave the hotel in the evening and go for a wander. Try the Queen Vic pub, yes the cocktails are expensive, but the seating and gardens are gorgeous and you get free nibbles on your table.

All in all, I enjoyed Egypt very much. It is a beautiful country and you can't beat the guaranteed sunshine (something that is definitely needed when you have a sumer like ours in the UK!) I am going back to egypt in October, however this time to El Gouna and staying at the Sheraton. I doubt I will ever return to Sharm, and defninitely not to the Sunrise Island View.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This was our second visit to the Sunrise Island View. Although we did enjoy our holiday, it was not to the same standard as last year. The staff work very hard for you to enjoy your stay. The Pyramids Diving Centre that are based on the beach are fantastic- especially Omar. The boat trip to Tiran Island is a fantastic day out.

The rooms were always kept clean and bottled water is provided every day in the mini fridge in the room. The first week we had cans of juice in our fridge, but on the second week they were not replaced. It is little touches like this that let the resort down this time.

The main restaurants food could be a bit of a hit and miss. The two a la cartes made a nice change.

However, on the second week of our holiday some of the party fell ill. We had been very careful at all times and used hand gel at all times. I think this issue does need to be looked at by the hotel. Yes I am aware some people do get the Egyptian tummy bug but the level of sickness among guests was very high. This put a bit of a dampener on the holiday and for the last week we never ate in the main buffet restaurant again. The spirits used are of a cheap quality.

It is a real shame that this let our holiday down as this hotel is in a prime location for Soho Square and the snorkelling at the hotels beach is amazing as are the staff. The grounds itself in the hotel are beautiful and well kept.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CSM04
bury st edmunds
Reviewed July 26, 2011

please dont listen to the negative comments and remember your in egypt and not in benidorm! go with an open mind you wont be disappointed! the staff in the hotel are very helpful,friendly and caring and never once asked for a tip ,i tipped them because i wanted to as they deserved it! from recreation ,cleaners to bar staff especiallymohamedand ahmed at the pool bar ,tamer and eslam,mohammed(recreational)(pool 4) also restaurant staff all go out of their way to please you the food was good just remember they have to cater for other nationalities and not just brits,ive had worse food in british hotels! we are not the only ones in the world who visit egypt! the hotel was clean with a nice beach to snorkel in which was amazing,our room was spacious and clean room 219 junior suite overlooking pool 3entertainment team worked hard though i was just happy relaxing at the pool bar in the evenings,i also recommend you get your washing done there just 9 euros and come back looking new!hotel is in need of updating but it is the oldest hotel in sharks bay but this not off putting as the staff made my holiday ,i woul;d recommend this hotel to people who dont expect british food it is after all a foriegn country!!! i will definetly be returning

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank phina7
Telford
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I traveld here with my partner in May, we were supposed to of stayed at the Sunrise Gardens but due to lack of numbers we were put into Island view, we were surprisingly shocked when we arrived at the hotel the staff were friendly and couldnt do enough for you, in our room we had cold water and fruit which i thought was a nice gesture having had a long flight.
The hotel is spotless, all the grounds are well maintained and looked after to a high standard.

The pools are realy good and spacious and you have a choice, they have an adult only pool which is good if you like to just sunbathe and have a dip in the pool with no kids jumoing in and out.

There are a number of restaurants, the main restaurnat wasn't the best but it was o.k we always found somtething to eat and i am a very fussy eater. the restaurant at the bottom by the beach is lovely we booked in a couple of nights would highly reccomend (think it is called the fatima) breakfast wasnt the best and isnt caterd for British but i found myself to have scrambeled egg and ommeltes.

Over all this was a fantastic holiday, i have traveld to many countries and hotels and this is by far one of the best, just go with an open mind!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2011

grounds and gardens kept very clean and tidy accomadation rooms clean but need refurbishing our cleaner was excelent, never ate in the alacarte restraunts wish we had the food in the main resteraunt not very good. the staff,barmen and waiters were very good as were the pool attendants. the animation team worked very hard and kept kept you well entertained in the pool. we met a youg girl from essex jess she had just started with the animation team i hope they look after her she is a very nice girl sure she will be a credit to the animatiom team nanny,chris,rasher,charlie were very good overall we had a lovely holiday. i would certainly go back to egypt they are lovely people

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank aldersonm
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I feel the need to write a review after reading some of the bad ones. I feel that they either did not stay at the same hotel, or spent their whole holiday looking for things to complain about.

My husband and I went to the Sunrise Island View for our honeymoon last September. We both had an incredible time, our room (suite) was very spacious and clean, the bed was one of the most comfortable beds away from home I have slept in, the whole hotel was kept clean, the pools were great, great choices of food available all day, staff so friendly and welcoming. Drinks were not branded, but still of good quality and good measures. We found that in the evening, the more we drank, the stronger the bar staff made our drinks.

Hami (one of the bar tenders) was very friendly, and remembered our usual drinks order whenever he saw us. The waiters were also very friendly, a small tip at the start of the holiday ensured us being taken to a table each day and have drinks brought to us.

Soho Square, just outside the hotel, is amazing, and no need to venture further afield.

My husband dropped our room key to the bottom of the sea on one occasion, but a very helpful life guard (who we later named Fish Boy) managed to swim 25 feet to the bottom (after a few attempts) to retrieve our key.

We met some lovely people there, who we have stayed in contact with, who also enjoyed their stay so much, they are returning with us.

We loved the hotel so much, we are going back this year for our first anniversary, and taking our children. Can't wait, only 32 days until we are back at the amazing Sunrise Island View.

Room Tip: Junior Suites are very spacious
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theboyds2010
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I travelled here with my boyfriend at the start of July for 2 weeks, we had booked the holiday 11 months ago and could not wait to go but when we arrived it was not what we were expecting at all and even on trip advisor its rank is slipping it is now 40 but when we booked it it was 26th i think!

Resort and surroundings: The resort is beautiful, the gardens, pools and beach are amazing and the weather is fab. At the beach you can snorkel which is fantastic and we done it a few days and around the pools are very busy but we could always get sun loungers without getting up at 7 or 8 to get them. This part of the holiday would be 5* but this is the only part.

The rooms: The rooms where just basic and did have a minifridge that was stocked up daily and the bathrooms were dated as we had read beforehand but to be honest rooms are only used to sleep in and that didnt bother us at all. It was only when a few days into our holiday after i had gotten a few bites on arms and legs that we pulled back the quilt to find it was infested with ants, i mean hundreds of them!!! We called reception and within 10 mins they came to sort it, but come on this in a 5* hotel!

The food and drink: this is by far the worst part, the breakfast was a contiential breakfast, which was not aimed at British people at all, the lunch was the basically the same everyday- canteen food, and the dinner was just uneatible!! They put on snacks from 12.30 to 5 everyday off chips, burgers and pizza- the chips were ok but do u really wana eat them everyday for 2 weeks, the burgers where given to you pink and the pizza was just bread with a little amount of cheese, they also had snacks at midnight which was just leftovers from dinner so couldnt even eat them. I ended up sick for 6 days and my boyfriend ended up sick due to the food in the hotel, so the last 8 days of our holiday we ordered mcdonalds/KFC (which a majority of the hotel were doing), eating in the indian restaurant in soho sqaure which was beautiful but pricey and travelling into naama bay to eat, i lost half a stone over there and come on losing weight on holiday just doesnt happen and ended up crying as i was that hungry and was nothing to eat. The soft drinks in the hotel where fine, they had pepsi and 7up but the big problem was alchoholic drinks, we are not fussy whatsoever with drinks as we are in early 2os and often enjoy a drink but the spirits actually burnt the throat of you and after 1 or 2 made you feel sick, the beer wasnt too bad , was better than the spirits, we ended up drinking cokes at night just so we didnt feel sick from the beer/ spirits.

Entertainment: one word AWFUL, the entertainment team did try but it just didnt work, the shows they had were just boring and everynight they had a kids disco followed by a show, we went to twice and wouldnt go back. There is also a disco that we went to 3 times andeach time it was 15 year olds drunk and dancing, more like a school disco!! Around the pool 2 during the day had water polo, darts and aerobics to keep you entertained which my boyfriend enjoyed and they offered to take you to a club each night.

Naama Bay: We ended up travelling in here 4 nights, it was very scary and you get tortured by the men who shout abuse if you dont go in their shop but it had a British bar the tavern which was good so we put up with the hassle to go to it. A taxi to naama bay cost about £5 each way, but the hotel taxi service is great and we got the same taxi driver the whole 2 weeks which was nice!

Overall i would not recommend anyone to go here is is awful and do you really want to go on holiday somewhere that you struggle to get something to eat, the only way you could deal with this hotel is if your a cheap skate and would just eat anything or drink anything to get your moneys worth!! We spoke to a lot of different people over there and they all had the same problems as us, every single person we spoke to got sick for at least a day, don't let the good reviews fool you it is a terrible place do not go, i would give it a 2*!!!!

Room Tip: Dont always give tips, we did to start with and then realised that they expect them for everything...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple