“You get what you pay for.. Not that bad at all.. (But not great either)”

Mexicana Sharm Resort
Ranked #128 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for.. Not that bad at all.. (But not great either)”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I've just returned from 2/52 in the Mexicana on 24th Jan. We almost changed hotels because of the reviews on here. I am glad we didn't because while there are some issues, it was certainly not as bad as some of the reviewers on here are making out.

I'll start with the good points:

The room is fantastic, nice and big and quiet, TV with BBC World News and some good films in the evening (with Arabic subtitles but you can easily ignore that). The bathroom is big and a HUGE walk in 2 person shower. I can't fault the room at all.

Also a good point, the all inclusive food. I was really expecting this to be awful, and/or make me ill going by some of the reviews. But the food was lovely, and we didn't get a funny tummy at all. The all inclusive food was one of the best parts of the stay, the breakfast is a bit basic (and you can get a free breakfast take out bag if you have an early start) the lunch is really nice, and the evening meal is great. Fish, meat, lots of really good salad and breads as well as deserts. I've attached a pic of the salad bar which I went back for more of each time. There can be a bit of a scramble, so I would suggest not getting there as soon as the doors open, wait a while, there will be plenty of food left as it is replenished regularly.

If you do fancy a change, there is another restaurant, but the food was no better than the inclusive food. You can get a nice burger at the pool side.

There is a really good gym, 2 pools, one larger than the other. The German habit of towels on loungers at the crack of dawn has caught on, you need to get out early to get a good spot. It would be easy to spend your week or two at the pool side, but there is a nice beach close by. Mexicana advertise it as a private beach, which gives the impression it is on the doorstep, and private. It is neither. It is a short bus ride away (or £3 taxi) and it is a private beach for LOTS of resorts. It is nice though, and the food is fantastic. Clean toilets and showers, and water sports close by if you are feeling energetic.

The bad points:

Ok the main problem we had, were the other people in the hotel. This is a low cost hotel, and because of that, there is a chav element to the customers who use it. You know the type, lager with your breakfast, reading the Mirror & smoking a fag on their lilo in the pool. This was the main reason we explored outside the hotel. I guess that makes me a snob, but we just found it difficult to relax, and felt a bit embarrassed by the behavior of some of the other guests. Yes its a free bar if you're on the inclusive package, but there is no need to make a pillock of yourself and drink yourself until you can barely walk.

Be careful of the traders. There is a guy who sells newspapers, will say he will bring you change back and disappears. Try to have some change to avoid having to get change for anything. The same with taxis. They will take advantage given half a chance. If you are going shopping in Na'ama bag or Sharm Old Market, don't let the traders intimidate you. They are really hard core and will physically stand in your way to get your attention. Just ignore them and walk past. Don't be worried about causing offense. The slightest bit of attention you give them and you will be hooked.

Customer Service isn't as important here as in the UK or other places, especially in the EU. The receptionists seem rude and unhelpful. There are no women staff, all very male dominated. All the cleaners and housekeeping are men.

Nearly finished!

I am going to end with a positive. The taxi driver, Ahmed, who is attached to the resort is a God send. He will take you anywhere, and we used him to go on an excursion rather than through our rep as it was cheaper, and more relaxing. When you get to the hotel make sure one of the first things you do is get his number and put it in your phone. If you go out shopping or to the beach, just call him and he will come and pick you up. He is an absolutely lovely guy.

We enjoyed our stay. Probably wouldn't stay there again though, but that is as much to do with Sharm as with the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Philip W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The Mexicana was a 4 star all inclusive. EXCEPT you couldn't get a drink after 11pm unless you paid! and the FREE Gala dinner did not include drinks so you had to PAY! no free ice cream. If your flight home was after 12 noon then you had to pay for lunch. Although the rooms were large and spacious some were like apartments because apparently they were self catering. The food is very basic and not alot of choice. But I will say that you get what you pay for and because this was over the new year then I suppose that £1200+ for 2 people is reasonable. However my expectations are alot higher so won't go back again. Very large pool and smaller heated one, but the large one was freezing!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 187051Sue

Travelers are raving about these Sharm El Sheikh hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We had a great time at Mexicana. We read the mixed reviews before but found the rooms to be great, and the service polite and friendly. The food was fine, it wasn't spectacular but always plenty to choose from and always a good selection. The excurtions were well worth doing especially the stargazing trip. The pool was great and we always got a sunbed.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank ellierj
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We booked this holiday as a birthday suprise from the 20th december 2010 - 3rd january 2011. When we arrived the all-inclusive resturant had closed so the receptionists recommened us to PAY to go into the steak house, the boys decided to go into the italian resturant and brought a pizza which actually turned out to be a bit of cheese wrapped up in dough- nothing like a pizza, they were told they were not allowed to eat it in the resturant as it was closing time so the had to take it away. The food was diabolical, for breakfast there was only eggs and toast the were really edible, the pancakes were raw and fruit was left over from the day before. The evening meal and lunch was repetitive, near enough the same every day. On christmas and new years eve the all-inclusive finished at 6:00 and were made to pay for drinks after that time and guests were even made to pay a corkage fee if you were to take your own drinks to the gala.

On our second day my sister had £180 stolen from her LOCKED safe and was told that nothing could be done unless she went 100 miles to the police station which we later found out that it was only at naama bay. The rooms were dirty and my 15 year old son had to sleep on a matress on the floor for the 2 weeks. There was no entertainment both in the day and night. We were so grateful of the pool, gym and table tennis otherwise we had nothing to do in the hotel. We were told by another family that her little girl had the top of her finger chopped off by a hand dryer that had no guard on it and the blood was still on the floor 2 days later.

The cook at the pool bar had no gloves on and was handling raw meat then preparing salads without washing his hands inbetween, which was most likely the cause of the tummy bug that a lot of the guests had. Overall the brits were poorly treated and without the lovely families were got chatting the holiday would of been even worse.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dollyclackit
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This was a very good holiday very clean room poorly for ,5 days there was a chemist outside i waited 5 days , then i went to the chemist if i done it the first day i would have been fine

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I and my two other friends have visited this hotel for the third time now and wikk be back as sson as is possible. I had a nasty accident two years ago but once we arrived at the hotel the first time i was treated with courtesy and respect and all the staff management and restaurant and bar staff were so so nhelpful in making sure that i got my food on time helped to dish up for me it was great to be treated like this as my moral was low. it is extremely clean, has all the comforts that we need i have never had a bad meal it has always been lovely and hot the food and every thig tastes as it should, my friend and i are married to egyptians and i can say this is a good rate hotel and cost effective. lovely staff who welcome you back time after time it is a lovely big family atmosphere. i would love to bring my grandchildren as it is a very safe hotel. ........ and big boss is lovely too !! xx Mandie Sue and Eireann 356 xx

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank mandie44
LONDON
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Stayed at the Mexicana on 26 December for 1 week with my man. Arrived late due to flight from Stansted, we were with Thomsons so they were not really to blame. When we got to the hotel, the dinner was finished and considering we were booked ALL INCLUSIVE I think it was bad show that they did not offer us a meal. They said we could PAY for a meal in their STEAK RESTAURANT. I think that is a cheek! So we had a few drinks until 11.00 p.m. (we got there about 10.00 p.m) in plastic cups I might add. We were told we had to buy a bottle of water from next door's supermarket as there was none supplied under the AI terms in the room. So my man went next door and got some water. Got to the room and ate our turkey sandwiches which we brought with us from good old London.. Disgusting way to be treated. We were very tired and hungry, so went to bed. There were a few bottles of pop in the mini fridge but again you had to pay for those, terrible prices.

Next day, went to sit round the pool, all the beds taken! I am talking about 9.00 ish. Had breakfast (buffett) not too bad but the only things worth having were eggs. I started to cluck by the end of the week!! Everyone gets up really early (like in the old days of Spain and the you know who's to get a bed ????) to put their towel on a sun bed. Pathetic. They leave the towels on the bed, not arriving until lunchtime. I am too old for that game, had to do that 30 years ago or more and I'm 50 now.

No entertainment,. drinks not too clever. Coffee like mud at breakfast, tea like p..... Generally, sloppy food and you would not give your animal some of it. The standard was very poor. Not much choice other than chips (full of grease) and I like Macdonalds! Sometimes it was cold too.

Had to eat out a couple of times. Got a taxi to fhe seafood restaurant nice. Macdonalds etc but generally they cook the chips in a horrid oil. No fruit at the hotel and no water for room which I really think is bad. Went to the Falcon Hills last year and at least they gave you bottle water for your room.

Gala new year dinner was a rip off too. You had to buy your own drinks. What a cheek considering we were AI. Also the buffet was terrible too. Disco good had a good dance. Quite an expensive evening.

Don't go here if you can. Everything was "its not fully inclusiveI, you have to pay more!." I got sick of it in the end so made sure we only stuck to what we were entitled to and ate out and drank our own booze in our room. I did have a terrible cold later and cough. Weather was 25C, one day rain. I would only recommend this for b and b.

Staff were sully. Miserable lot. Won't be going back to Sharm for a very long time. Better places to go. I think they treated the English very poorly generally. Not nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple