“Brilliant hotel”

Mexicana Sharm Resort
Ranked #129 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“Brilliant hotel”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have travelled all over the world and stayed at many hotels. This hotel is definitely up there with the best. Cannot fault at all. From the cleanliness to the staff. It was excellent. Food was gorgeous, so much choice and mouthwatering. Mohammed at the pool bar was a legend, he looked after us as did the rat of the staff. The cleaner left many artistic towel creations which were a nice touch. The spa is good too and well priced. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Mreddieharris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Prior to staying at this hotel I had read many reviews, some which were very negative from bitter and twisted members on this forum. All i read was how bad this hotel was and as a result my wife became apprehensive about the whole holiday. I learnt from reading the reviews that most members on this forum just want to have a moan for the smallest things. This is very off putting for would be travellers. Folks, can I just say that Egypt is predominantly Muslim. Their culture, way of life and attitudes are not what the typical European holidaymaker would be used to. Its their country. They are entitled to do as they think fit. So those of you who want to keep moaning, get real and if you don't like their way of life, then I suggest you go to Butlins or CenterParcs for your next holiday where you can have a full English and fish and chips for your dinner. This is my BALANCED review for my recent stay.

Check in - Having been picked up from the airport on time, arrived at the hotel and was checked into a family room sleeping 6 people without any hassle or issues.

The room - Very spacious. CLEAN. Fully air - conditioned. Nice balcony. Clean bathroom.

Housekeeping - Fresh towels and clean bed linen everyday. A full clean of the room whilst we were out. I had tipped the housekeeper 3 times during my 10 night stay and we got what we wanted.

Restaurant - though all inclusive, the food was repetitive, but it was edible and filled the hole. Egyptian food is bland full stop. I have been to this country 3 times and the food hasn't changed much in 4 years. Its not going to change folks, no matter which part of Egypt you go to so get use to it. However it was clean and friendly. I tipped the waiters who looked after us every time we went in for our meals.

Poolside - There are two pools at this hotel. We spent our pool days by the big pool. There is a nice poolside bar here with a good bartender. I tipped him a few times during our stay and the drinks kept flowing. The children were given ice cream. Even I had a few ice creams even when I was not entitled to it.

Staff - Every staff member we spoke to were friendly and always willing to help. I tipped the staff in charge of the pool towels who made sure that out sunbeds were reserved early in the morning.

Surroundings - the gardens were lovely and clean. Staff were constantly maintaining the lawns and keeping all areas littler free.

Entertainment - there were two evening entertainments during our stay with a disco and belly dancers on 2 nights which we never managed to see as we were out shopping and returned late at night.

Checkout - the staff at the reception could not be more friendly and were sorry to see us leave. They even helped to make phone calls to reconfirm our pre - booked transfer to the airport.

So.......the moral of this review is to tip the very people that work hard everyday in making sure that your stay is enjoyable. Many of the staff work in excess of 16 hours per day and your £1.00 coin, dollar or euro can go a long way in getting what you want. Besides, the Egyptian economy is currently not in a good state and so they look to the tourists in getting whatever pennies they can. We had a great stay at this hotel and would go there again.

Room Tip: Pool view family rooms are a good choice. More space.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kunverji1930
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend for one week, all inclusive. The hotel is more 2 stars than 4 !
The hotel is located in a strange area and there is not much to do there.
The staff tries to be helpful and friendly, but when passes some time they start to make you nervous and being rude.
When they realize you are cheching out you are meaningless for them.
The only brihgt things are the gardens, well kept and nice. Also the coral beach is ok.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank gego31

Travelers are raving about these Sharm El Sheikh hotels

Essex
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Back from a great holiday at the Mexicana, I noticed this time that the service in the bars and restaurant has become much better as has the standard of food. The room as always was well looked after and clean, with clean towels everyday, I'd like to thank everyone at the hotel for a great time and it was nice to meet so many returning guests, who like us enjoy this gem in Sharm. Next visit already booked so see you all soon, keep up the great work which I'm sure will reap the rewards you deserve

1 Thank TonyLEssex
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked our holiday with Thomas Cooke in April we paid a lot of money (in my opinion}. The wine white or red was not drinkable we had to drink lager even the shorts where disgusting.The food was ok breakfast was the best meal of the day. It was definitely not a 4* more like a 2/3.We went all inclusive and two of the restaurants where closed{ the rep who we saw only once who actually worked for the hotel and numerous other hotels } if we wanted to eat in the Italian or the steakhouse we had to pay. The steak house was not even open you could have a pizza for a price £2.00 and above depending on the toppings .No ice-cream for the children. I would strongly advise taking your own glasses or will be using plastic not strong plastic very flimsy plastic. Our holiday was made by making friends with Gill Paul Kerrie Chris Susie etc would not recommend the hotel. But each to their own. phil & Sharon Bolton Lancashire.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank philewatts
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have just got back from staying at The Mexicana '4' star hotel (more like a 2/3 star!!!) We arrived on the 1st of August and got back last night. Were due to be out there for 2 weeks but cut the holiday short to just 10 night as wanted to get home as soon as possible because the experience was that bad!

So where to begin,,,,, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by half worked on hotels.. it looks like a bomb site as soon as you leave the hotel, with stray dogs outside and Egyptian men hounding you as soon as you leave the hotel to come into their shop! There is absolutely no entertainment in the evening- the bar closes at 11 and with the 'satellite tv' having no signal most nights we ended up lounging about our hotel room with nothing to do for most of the time!

the hotel's cleanliness has a lot to answer for! the sheets were stained every single time they were changed and although the 'cleaner' came every day all they did was change the sheets every day to dirty ones. the sheets mostly had poo stains on them which was just disgusting! the toilet was what I can only imagine a prison toilet looking like which dirty brown residue running down the back of it. Me and my partner had to shower in our flip flops it was that terrible! The hygiene didn't stop just in the hotel room. Around the swimming pool there was mould growing inbetween all of the tiles around the pool, which would occasionally float in the swimming pool- disgusting! The glasses from the bar were also dirty all of the time- on one occasion I actually had lip stick marks from the previous person!

On our third night of staying there the water stopped working for a few hours so we couldn't use the toilet, wash our hands or shower and after a day around the pool all you wanted to do was wash! The same night we also had a power cut from about 8 oclock in the evening through until about 4 in the morning- I knew about this because it woke me and my partner up when it did decide to switch on, setting off the fuzzy tv with no signal and all the lights came on!

The food was disgusting- that's all I can describe. I have stayed in all inclusive hotels before so I know that the food can sometimes be a bit samey, rice, pasta etc but this was a whole other level. The samey food was inedible! we barely ate in the restaurant, we would order lunch by the small swimming pool which wasn't too bad- you could get a nice pizza for about 2 pounds! so we did that most days and for dinner we would either go without or venture into Naama bay for some food. My partner was unwell the entire stay- with vomiting and diarrhoea which porved to be a horrible experience running to and from the dingy prison toilet the whole holiday!

Just to top off our horrendous experience on the last day of our stay bearing in mind we cut our holiday short (so technically had payed for another 4 nights stay! ) because we told them we were leaving they chucked us out of our room at 12 when our flight was at 7 in the morning- unbelievable!!!!! As soon as you say you are leaving they are your worst enemy and check out day is a disaster (I overheard lots of other people complaining about this too, not just ourselves! We will of course be making a formal complaint about how we were treated on our last day and getting compensation for nights we wernt there!

All in all a simply horrendous experience! there were a couple of positives, just a couple! the pool guy is really helpful- puts your towel down every morning where you would like it so it saves you getting up early to get this sorted...Oh and the lunch time food if you don't mind spending a couple of your extra money- then the pizzas are good.... there are plenty of sunbeds to choose from also! they are the only positives I can think of... oh and Hard Rock Café in Naama bay is very good- huge portions.. definitely recommend the chocolate brownie but definitively share it with someone- it easily feeds 2!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay at this hotel- it will be a complete waste of time! you will hate of it! My advice would be to spend a bit more money on a 5 star place... I stayed in Egypt a few years ago and had an amazing time at the hotel so don't let it put you off- JUST DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!

1 Thank Ella C
England
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a lovely holiday. We met lots of lovely people and had a good laugh spending our days at the small pool.The hotel itself was OK although we did need to change our room and this took a few days however once this happened we were absolutely fine and the new room was good .
Ahmed at reception was really helpful, as was Mohammed. Mottaz at the bar went out of his way to be helpful and most of the staff in the restaurant were friendly too.
The food was a little bit repetitive but nice. Taxi to the airport costs £10. We did 5 days of diving with Aquarius Dive Centre, they were very professional and we had good fun. Naama Bay was quiet in comparison to other years, still worth going for an evening. The Carrefour Supermarket sells everything you could need at good prices. For example the shop by our hotel was £1.00 for a bar of chocolate but 35p at Carrefour. All in all a great holiday, good value for money, would recommend hotel if all you want is a friendly hotel to explore egypt from. If you really want 4 star you need to pay more.

Room Tip: The rooms around the small pool are the nicest in my opinion.