“MEXICANA.... BRILLIANT!!”

Ranked #129 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Horndean, United Kingdom
“MEXICANA.... BRILLIANT!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent New Years here.... What a night!
The Gala evening was excellent, the food was great and the entertainment was superb!
We stayed there from 30/12/12 to the 13/1/13. The weather was nice, hot and sunny most days.
A couple of days were a bit cool and cloudy, but still warm enough to get a good tan.
THIS IS DEFINATELY THE WAY TO SPEND NEW YEARS!

The hotel is beautiful, covered in different coloured flowers. Nice and quiet... What more could you ask for?

Ash, works at the Amigos bar, was great. Always attentive and very polite and friendly.

We have stayed at this hotel many times and will definately be returning in the future!

Room Tip: If the room you get isn't what you want, the staff will do everything they can to provide an alt...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here for one week, and I will break it down... this is a budget hotel at the most. Food - Absolutely terrible. Breakfast - eggs and the smallest rolls, no fresh orange. Dinner - dont even go there. Pool - if you want flies on flies then this is the place - its disgusting never seen so many flies at a hotel, and ive stayed all over africa. Rooms - lovely big bed, terrible old TV, rooms are not bad size. However I had cockroaches in the bathroom, the shower was disgusting, old rusted iron holders, plaster coming away....

Staff are corrupt, the young security gentlemen (who wore the red hooded top) asked for money from my husband as we came in from a night out at 2am. He is lucky my husband never lamped him. he was adamant that we were to give him money.... I got upset and he then said its a joke its a joke..... the gentlemen on the front desk were not helpful either - they were too busy sorting out an argument between 2 russian men....

never again, this place is for the dregs of society......... and low budget......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank damhot

Travelers are raving about these Sharm El Sheikh hotels

Manchester
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Good :-
We have stayed at the Mexicana a couple of times now, and going back in Jan 2013 ! It's not one of the fancy anonymous complexes, you get right through sharm, but a smaller more intimate Hotel, All the staff are friendly and helpful, but the best aspect each time we've been is the guests who all interact, talk laugh and drink together, making it such a fantastic holiday, we're still in touch with people we've met on both out previous visits.
The rooms are clean of a good size and well maintained with the cleaning staff leaving the ubiquitous 'folded towel' each day.
The (not so) Good :-
Food can be repetitive and not so imaginative, that said, there's always plenty of choice and lots of it, with a couple of different restaurants / bars etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'Big Pool' view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SteveOscarWild
essex uk
Reviewed January 9, 2013

26/12/2012 - 06/01/3013 This was not the hotel that I first booked,but after reading the reviews on the hotel that I had booked I paid another £300 to change to this one,before leaving England ,and I was worried what this one would be like.This is a 4 star hotel,but should only be a 3 star.
The hotel is clean,the staff are all very nice, polite and helpful.the house keeping was very good,our room was cleaned very well,every day,but the hotel is old and tired and in need of updating,It has two pools the large one was too cold to use but the smaller one was lovely and warm,but you had to get up early if you wanted to sit by it,as the guests paid the towel man to save the beds,which was unfair as they would go to the beach and then come back for the last hour to there saved beds,but you can get that any where,
We were AI ,and the food was very good ,so were the drinks,as long as you stick to soft drinks or beer.but I was very cross when we found out that on Christmas eve and New Years eve the Ai ended at 1800hrs (6pm) so we had too pay for any drinks that we had,after paying extra for the gala meal I was very cross ,this has never happened before to us with Ai ,and the meal ,well that was a joke,we were all packed into the dinning room all together,back to back no room to move and due to the amount of people in there you just couldnt get to the food,and you could see guest filling their plates and bags with what every they could grab,it was shocking to see,we were later to find out that the hotel had sold the gala meal to those on bed and breakfast and S/C .so we gave up and walked out.
I have read some of the reviews about the spa and had to smile ,I used the spa myself and had some very good treatments,but there is no female and male separated facilities as no female works there,out of the whole staff in the spa and hotel no females work there,I asked when I was booking my treatment for a female member of staff to give me my body scrub ,and I was told of course I would have a female and guess what I didnt get one.I had paid in advance, so I had a choice male or no treatment.well I thought I wont ever see them again,so I put my shame aside,LOL ,wont fall for that one again{.glad I had been in the sun ,so had the red face all day.}

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank doris a
Leeds
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in October 2012 (11 days). I chose another hotel but was transfered here by my tour company due to overbooking. This was a fantasic choice, there are two beautiful pools, one quite (which suited me fine) and one noisey, the gardens are well kept and maintained perfectly and the staff are all very accomodating if you need any assistance what so ever all you need to do is ASK in a polite manner of course. The dining room staff where exactly the same, i think some people just go on holiday to MOAN!! what more do you need than a clean room, shower, bedding and towels??. I cannot comment on the spa as it wasnt open when i was there, i had a massage at the Coral beach this was not the best id had in Eygpt, the guy was quite rough and bruised my arm. I would definatly return. I was a solo traveller and female but felt very safe and secure, hoping to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Didn't stay at the hotel but loved the facilities there 10/10 recommend this to anyone. Belal Shady and sofia will really pamper and spoil you. Shady with his magic touch can relax all your tensions away. we enjoyed it because it was separate facilities for males and females and my wife really enjoyed and found it very comfortable with Sofia, she was excellent, very kind and gentle, would recommend to anybody.

From Mehboob, Leicester, England

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mebzsid
Sandefjord, Norway
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the hotel one week from 22 to 29 November - room 361. Very nice apartment, where we could make our own breakfast every day - when WE wanted to. Nice and good-humoured staff kept our rooms clean and tidy every day - and surprised us with new towel figures every day when we came back from the beach. Buffet dinner quite good, but the Italian restaurant was poor, and the red wine undrinkable. However, this was not so important - we loved our stay - two nice swimmingpools, wonderful weather and good beaches close by.

However - our best experience was the spa. All the staff there were nice and friendly, and they had the best and most experienced therapists I have encountered. (I'm a therapist myself, so I think I'm relatively qualified to rate this). I tried different treatments - all good, so I ended up going there every day, including the day we left at noon. I strongly recommend this to everybody - and the spa alone is a good enough reason for me to go back there.

The only really negative thing about the hotel, is that none of the credit card machines worked. The day we left, we had to take what was left of Egyptian currency to pay for the mini-bar items, which meant that the staff didn't get the good tip they had deserved. We felt very bad about this - and come on - we live in 2012 - get this fixed!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends