“Low Hygiene (Marco, Italy)”
Review of Melia Sinai

Melia Sinai
Ranked #127 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Milan
“Low Hygiene (Marco, Italy)”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We stayed there from 7 to 14th June.

The GOOD:
interesting reef just in front of the hotel, as matter of fact it is a diving destination and many boats were coming every day to bring scuba divers. I counted as many as 6 boats in front of the beach. If you snorkeled early morning or late afternoon there were very little people and lot of fishes.
I used to snorkel from 7 to 8 AM and 3 out of 4 times I met a 3 meter whale shark passing by the reef. By revieving the pictures I took, I can say that every time it was a different whale shark.
I also spotted a nice Napoleon a couple of times and a Eagle Ray.
If snorkeling is a priority for you, then choose this hotel. If diving is a priority, you are going to take a boat anyway to reach diving sites so you may find better accomodations.

There was no need to hurry to get the sun ombrella because there were enought for all the guests (at least in June). We have been previously staying in Tunisia and everytime it was necessary to wakeup at 7 for putting a towel on a chair.

The rooms were at the same level of the beach or just slightly higher. We went to the neightbouring hotel and it was awesome: from the beach to the dining room you had to climb a lot of stairs.

Animator staff does not makes pressure to involve you in games, so it is perfect if you are looking for relax.

The BAD
we had stomach diseases. While it is very common in every hotel in Egypt, I must say that I was surprised to see little birds entering the dining room and eating the food from the distribution tables.
THE BARS ARE NOT WASHING THE PLASTIC GLASSES THEY USE FOR PROVIDING ALL INCLUSIVE DRINKS. I NOTICED THAT THEY JUST PASSED THE USED GLASS UNDER THE TAP AND THEN USE IT AGAIN. I COMPLAINED WITH BARMAN, HE TRIED TO PULL MY LEG EXPLAINING HE WAS WASHING THEM WITH SOAP, I ASKED TO SEE THE SOAP AND HE QUICKLY SHOWED ME AN EMPTY BOX. I COMPLAINED WITH THE ITALIAN LADY OF "GUEST RELATIONS" AND SHE REPLIED THAT IT WAS A KNOWN ISSUE SHE WAS TRYING TO FIX BY INSISTING WITH THE MANAGEMENT OF THE HOTEL TO HAVE GLASSES PROPERLY WASHED WITH A WASHING MACHINE.

We left our hotel towels on the chairs while having lunch and when we came back they have been stolen. We immediately reported this to the hotel, but they didn't seem to care and we had to pay 18 euros for 3 towels the day we checked out. My suggestion: bring and use your own towels.

Glass-bottom boats coming several times a day to bring tourists to see the reef used to enter into the buoy protected area and to create danger for the snorkelers. Moreover they shouted the snorklers to move away. Very uncivilized!

There was no way to walk into the water from the beach because there is coral and lifeguards stop you from walking on it. So you are standing on the beach in hot temperatures in front of the refreshing sea but you cannot just enter in the water, you must walk to the floating carpet and swim from the platform at the end of the carpet. Not good for children and people looking for a relaxing bath.

JUST AVERAGE
The food was average. Pasta was hardly a good one (at least for my Italian taste) , you can't just trow a bunch of raw vegetables in a pan for 20 seconds and then mix pasta and serve it!
The rest was ok, a bit repetitive.

Staff was kind, but not effective. You could order 2-3 times a drink during meals before getting it, sometimes was frustrating.
When we arrived there was no drinking water in the room (each one gets one bottle upon arrival) and we had to asks for it 2 times before getting it.

Evening shows were average and mainly in italian.

Marco

• Liked — Reef in front of the hotel
  • Disliked — Hygiene standard
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Sticasale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 19, 2008

We stayed here for 2 weeks and they were the longest two weeks of my life. To give you a bit of background, I was born and brought up overseas and stayed in several places in both Africa and the Middle East so am a very well seasoned traveller and not one to complain about things.

I am sorry this review is so long but I could have done with reading something like this before I booked the hotel.

Lets start with the good -
1. the staff at the resort are lovely and are the only thing that is 5* about this resort
2. the snorkelling is great
3. the weather fantastic
4. Towel sculptures on our bed every day were very clever

The Bad:-

Food -
A number of guests had stomach problems and I am not at all surprised. The food was awful for the first 10 nights and started to improve to the edible stage towards the end of our stay. Birds were allowed to fly into the restaurant and because a lot of the food was uncovered, the birds were sitting on it, eating it and probably crapping on it! The flies were also crawling all over the food and they are one of the worst germ carriers around.

Getting around -
had we wanted to go into Na'ama bay or Old Sharm every night it would have cost us £7.50 each way (£210 for taxis for a 2 week stay), a very expensive holiday. I knew that the hotel was a bit out of the way but didn't realise how costly it would be to get anywhere. The hotel does provide a bus but it is not free and goes at useless times. If you want to go and eat somewhere other than the hotel the bus does not leave until 9pm which is too late for most people to eat dinner.

Rooms -
1. I agree with previous posts - the beds are like concrete
2. Someone walked into our room in the middle of the night through our patio doors which we found out didn't lock
3. Someone rang our room 4 times between 1am and 2.30am so we eventually pulled the socket out of the wall for our whole stay.
4. The bath had horrible yellow rings round it
5. We had a leaking toilet
6. furniture needs replaced as it looks very tired and some of it broken.

TV / Euro 2008
For the first two nights of Euro 2008 we were able to see the games on one English and one German channel. The channels then disappeared on the 3rd day and when I phoned to ask Reception why we could no longer see them they told me that we had never been able to see them in our rooms, however, "we could watch them in their bar" They were obviously not happy with people staying in their rooms so blocked the channels so that they would have to go to the bar to watch the games and spend some money whilst they were at it.

Checking out -
When we went to check out, both their credit terminals didn't work and after 5 attempts they asked me to go to the cashline and pay for our outstanding bill in cash rather than using our credit card. I eventually agreed only to find that the cashline was not working. At this point we had a taxi waiting to take us to the airport. This is when the receptionist suggested that they drive me to the nearest hotel so that I could withdraw cash from that machine instead. They basically had us over a barrel because we needed to get to the airport so had no choice but to go with this plan and use cash that we were not expecting to use.

Medication/Supermarket
We needed to get Antinal (local fix for tummy upset) and walked along to the Pharmacy at the Baron where we were charged £5.00 for the Antinal. We went to Cairo for a 2 day trip and needed to get more Antinal which cost only 50p there!!! Talk about holding people to ransom!

We went to the supermarket whilst at the Baron and bought 6 cans of juice, one packet of digestives and two chocolate bars which came to £15!!! - at least Dick Turpin wore a mask ;)

IN NO WAY CAN THIS HOTEL BE CLASSED AS A 5* by UK standards, the running and management is poor to say the least and greatly undermines the hard work put in by the majority of the staff there.

• Liked — Snorkelling
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abbeyhill
Stockport
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We have just returned from our honeymoon in Sharm. We stayed 9 nights, the first 6 of which were at Melia Sinai and the last 3 at the Hyatt Regency.

The reason we chose these hotels was for the house reefs as we wanted to do plenty of snorkelling, and the reef at Melia Sinai (it's called Ras Nasrani) didn't disappoint. In fact, each day dive boats from Sharm would arrive to bring paying customers to see it! Don't worry though, the boats don't detract from your holiday. Melia Sinai is a few miles north of Naama Bay, very convenient for the airport. It's on a headland on the coast but the beach and reef are more sheltered than the neighbouring hotels further round the headland (Baron Resort and Conrad). Even on windy days the waters were calm enough to snorkel easily, so it would be ideal for kids. The variety of fish and sealife on the reef was incredible. You don't need to dive (and we didn't), but there is a dive school at the hotel called Easy Divers which offer accredited courses and trips to other Red Sea dive sites. We used them to book a snorkelling trip to the offshore reefs around Tiran Island (highly recommended - we saw dolphins and a turtle) and a couple of watersports activities which were great fun. The staff at the dive centre are great fun, and with it being run by Germans, everything is very efficient.

We had no complaints about our room at all: we a sea view and a balcony overlooking the pool. The room was cleaned and tidied very thoroughly every day and the towel origami was a nice touch. The staff generally were brilliant: friendly, helpful, dedicated and very professional. At no point during the week were we asked to tip, though we did anyway at the end of our stay. As previous reviewers have noted, the reception staff are probably the "weak link". We had no problems on arrival, but on departure they forgot to give us our passports back (yes, we probably should have realised, but on honeymoon your brain switches off!) Trying to get them to send the passports over to us in the Hyatt was a bit of a nightmare but we got there in the end. Other reviews have mentioned the construction activity around the hotel: yes, there are building sites to both sides but noise was minimal and they are out of site. On one side of the hotel, a series of luxury houses is being constructed. On the other side, a massive 600-room hotel called Sharm Melia (owned by the same company) is nearing completion. We were told it would open in 3 months - so early September 2008.

We stayed half board, which includes the buffet breakfast and dinner. We also ate lunch in the hotel, at the pool bar. The breakfasts were generally good, particularly the "while you wait" omelette service. We didn't really try the hot buffet food. Dinners were varied and usually very good. We usually tried whatever the chef outside was cooking (grilled fish, calamari, flat bread stuffed with lamb and salad etc) and that was always very good. The range of salads is impressive. Desserts look better than they taste - the "gelatine and coconut" comment by a previous reviewer is very true! Lunches at the pool bar were always good, particularly the grilled fish and chips. I have to say we were impressed with the food at the time, but the Hyatt Regency was in a different league.

But, you have to remember what you're paying, and overall the Melia Sinai is excellent value for money. The house reef alone makes a return trip worthwhile.

• Liked — The house reef
  • Disliked — Reception staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed June 12, 2008

A fantastic way to relax in a wonderful climate. The food was of a high standard for buffet (not the same as a la carte). Enough choice with changes daily. The resort was kept very clean. Three times during our week's stay our room had fantasic displays made from towels and petals (rooms cleaned and towels replaced daily). The staff were great, really friendly, could not have been more helpful and we didn't tip until the last day! NO stomach upsets from a family of three (our son aged 6). Although we like to try different countries, resorts and hotels, we would definitely return. Enjoy!

• Liked — Cleanliness and towel displays
  • Disliked — Not enough drawers
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
shropshire
Reviewed June 10, 2008

we have just returned after a two week stay at this hotel, wonderful ! I would agree with other writers on this site that it is more a 4* than a 5*.
Our room was kept really clean, and fresh towels daily . we loved the towel sculptures left for us by the cleaner.
the views from our balcony were lovely (sea view) saw dolphins on a few occasions a real treat.
Now to the food... i had read all the other reviews and wondered if they were about the same hotel ! there was plenty on offer and for the two weeks we were there we had a relly good choice and very appetizing with different themes. the deserts were also excellent.
We had no problems with tummy upsets at all but i did always wash my hands before eating and did not over indulge, although it was difficult as the deserts were wonderfully tastey!!!
the entertainment wasn't on for very long half an hour but we weren't that bothered as we always found someone to chat with, and the bar staff were entertaining !
Tipping (baksheesh).. all the staff were always grateful for anything you gave them but our service didn't change if we didn't tip them. But we did find out towards the end of our stay that anything you gave to them the men in the white shirts (like managers or team leaders) took half off them and they were watching the waiters and bar staff very closely !!!!!!
we enjoyed the outside bar by the pool in the evening and had plenty of laughs there the barman that was called gary ( real name olgaharey or something like that) until he was removed by his manager and put into back service area of resteraunt to wash dishes as a punishment for serving london boys after 11pm When all inclusive ends and not billing them and allowing the stock to all be used, when gary was asked where all the beer had gone and he pointed to their stomachs he was repremanded !! we were disgusted with the managers and let it be known to them ,wonderful 5 star personality gary . loved our time spent at this hotel made many friends. loved quad biking and the snorkling was out of this world. would go back again loved the egyption massage and pampering at the beauty salon.
did not feel pestered by anyone, we found a polite no thankyou was all that was needed if we didn't want anything. you do have to pay for bottled water and any drinks after 11pm and if they put crisps and nuts on your table in the faniar bar at any time they do charge you for them without warning you (we thought they were complimentry !!!! ) untill we got the final bill.

• Liked — the view and friendliness of staff and peace and quiet
  • Disliked — odd smell in our room on occasions (sewerage)
2 Thank smileyhols
LEICESTER
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Having just returned from another great stay at the Melia Sinai I really can't speak highly enough about the fantastic on site Extra Divers dive centre. This was my second stay at this resort, having previously stayed there for a week in January of this year with my girlfriend. The hotel itself is very comfortable, the staff are very helpful and the food is of a good quality. However, in my opinion the hotel's real selling point is it's tremendous house reefs and the dive centre. This time I went for a weeks diving with a friend and we were not dissapointed. The dive centre is run by Annick & Marcus Maurer and is part of the Extra Divers chain. We both did the SSI Advanced Open Water, Nitox and photography courses and nothing was too much trouble for the centre staff. Marcus and Nicky went out of their way to keep the courses interesting and enjoyable, including night dives and other extras you don't usually get as standard. Compared to Red Sea Dive centres I've used on previous trips to Egypt, Extra Divers really is on another level and I would strongly recommend to any other divers whether beginner or expert. The instructers are all English speaking and the centre is PADI, SSI and CMAS accredited. rasnasrani@extradivers.info The hotel also has a nice beach and some swimming pools so is suited to divers and non divers alike. As a repeat visitor I would definately recommend this resort to others and hope to stay there again myself later this year. Please don't be put off by some of the more negative hotel reviews you might read as they really aren't representative of this hotel in my opinion.

2 Thank SIMON-HANNA
UK
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Our stay at the Melia Sinai got off to a rocky start after we arrived at the hotel after a long flight and were told that the hotel was overbooked and that we would be staying at the Sol Sharm for 2 evenings which is a 4* hotel. The reception staff were not particularly helpful and we had to repeatedly ask to speak to the manager before they finally went to get him. They also took phonecalls and would happily stand there talking away whilst in the middle of dealing with a query (this happened frequently and was quite frankly rude!). When we asked for the hotel to call our rep the receptionist went off and said that they could not get hold of him, which was a lie as the rep told us the next day that they had not tried to call him. Other guests were also moved to other hotels and from reading other reviews it seems that this is a common problem and is really quite dispicable given that the hotels they are putting people in are 4*'s not 5*s. We accepted the hotels compensation which consisted of airport transfers, a room upgrade to a beachfront apartment, a meal on the beach (which was just buffet food brought down from the restaurant but was a nice experience - was ok but wouldn't pay for it) and late check-out.

When we were settled in the hotel we were able to enjoy it and it is actually a lovely place. The bars and restaurants are all nice. The food was surpisingly good for buffet and we thought there was a lot of variety (kebabs, fish from the grill, calamari, salads, lasagne everything you can think of. Lots of cakes and pastries although they generally look better that they taste). The restaurant is open air and the view is great, especially by candlelight in the evening. It is however a nightmare to get served a drink in the restaurant which can become very frustrating and somewhat ruins the experience.

The beach bar and pool bars are nice and the service is very good especially Amer in the beach bar whose cocktails are exsquisite, needless to say we had a sore head the next day.

The hotel is fairly isolated, although that suited us as we wanted a break away from it all. We ventured into narma bay one day which was just full of lots of shops selling the same thing - we didn't go back!).

Must recommend the trip by plane to Cairo and the quad bike trip in the desert which are amazing experiences and a must if you go to Sharm.

All in all we enjoyed our stay in the Melia Sinai and would recommend the hotel to anyone going to Sharm el Sheikh - although beware about the overbooking problem and i would ring the hotel or your tour operator just before you travel to make sure the room is available!

• Liked — Pool areas, snorkelling, relaxing atmosphere, food variety
  • Disliked — Reception service
2 Thank sunbaby246