“60th birthday celebration”

Sierra Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #26 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed March 20, 2013

had a fantastic holiday hotel great location very good walk straight out of the complex into soho squire plenty to see on a night feels really safe would go on my own as a female no hassle from anyone 3 bars included in sierra all inclusive package just had to sign a bill for your drinks and they were free also a few resturants gave 3o% discount on meals we payed on the night but you can sign the bill and pay in hotel end of your holiday was worried we might get asked to pay again end of week but no everthing was fine.the staff make this hotel mina &mina waiter s shoby ok lovey, joesph pool man daniel room guy good if you want to relax they have adult poolsmake this a request they will try there best to accomodate you. Nothing too much trouble rooms are very good try not to get a an adjoining room as you can hear everything next door, food 7 out of ten can always find somthing but it can be expensive if you eat out all the time we only spent 150 pound all week tip the people you like they work hard 7 days for 150 pounds a month. 50 eygpt pounds only a fiver would go back great weather no tummy bugs.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sierra_Sharm, Manager at Sierra Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our thanks to you for writing your lovely review with reference to your recent first holiday at our sunny Sierra Resort.

We very much appreciate your supporting words and it’s really wonderful for us that you enjoyed a relaxing, truly unforgettable experience at our resort.
We look forward to seeing you here once again here to spend another amazing stay with us

Kindly accept our warmest regards.

There are newer reviews for Sierra Sharm El Sheikh

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Let me get the negatives out of the way:
Sharks Bay is quiet – which suited Mrs R200 and I down to the ground, but for someone who wants a very social and hectic holiday, it could involve costly trips out.

Soho Square – not our cup of tea, although lots of people liked it and enjoyed part of their night there several times during their stay. Personally I think they may have missed a trick here, the gift shops have very little to interest, it could do with a quality outlet coming in.

The hotel is five minutes walk (through the Savoy’s Hotels internal road network) from the beach, but provides a minibus service for those who can’t be bothered (or are unable) to walk – the fact that you are on hotel property makes it feel a safe walk.

My opinion of the few Soho Square eateries we tried was mixed, I didn’t feel Akuna Matata offered a proper dinner but L’Entrecote restaurant was good value (with our ultra A.I. 35% discount)

Non of the Trip Advisor reviews I read about this hotel before booking my trip the Egypt mentioned that this hotel was just across the road from the runway at Sharm El Sheikh airport…. Did it matter – no, not one bit! Even outside the noise I noticed most was aircraft engines on take-off or on landing. One morning I was sat on the balcony of my room when everything was quiet (6am) and I watched an plane coming into land and the only noise I heard was the back thrust to aid braking on landing (for less than 10 seconds) and I assure you it wasn’t loud and nor did it wake Mrs R200 up, even though the balcony doors were open. If you read any different my opinion it is someone with super-sensitive hearing!

I heard several people complaining this hotel is not a 5 star hotel, in fact I had a long conversation with two that mentioned it to me and my opinion stands: it IS a five star hotel, it has the facilities that’s allows it that status, now “The Royal Savoy” (the Sierra’s sister hotel across Soho Square) is also a five star establishment and, if you take the time to have a look around it, it is better than the Sierra, as is the Four Seasons (just down the road from these hotels) but the cost of the same package I had at the Sierra (Ultra A.I.) would have cost three times as much at the Savoy, as for the Four Seasons, I’d have been lucky to get B&B for three times the cost - you get what you pay for!

The positives:

You get more than what you pay for in my opinion! This is the first of around twelve A.I. package hotels which I’ve received frequent drinks service in the dining room, at the pool or the beach. Our room was quiet, in fact had we not seen our neighbours going into their room one afternoon, we’d have thought the room next door and the room below us were unoccupied. The cleaner knocked at our door at least three times of our seven day stay to make sure everything was Ok and had we got enough bottled water, towels etc. All the staff do an excellent job, if I had to pick out one weakness it would be that reception staff are a little brisk and professional (measured to the friendliness of the other staff), you feel that you’re are a valued guest.

The food in the main hotel restaurant - Mountain View is (in my experience) reasonably good quality, but the normal A.I help yourself buffet fayre. I never heard anyone complain of “Egyptian tummy” or similar. There was more than enough choice, I think from the eighteen meals (breakfast, lunch and dinners) I ate in there, there was only one dinner I struggled to put a decent meal together and maybe it was down to me not being that hungry, who knows? I do know I put on 4lbs during the week!

The Spa is worth the cost of a paid for treatment, we had the Moroccan – much like a Turkish, but with mud!

There was always a seat in a bar (and I believe the hotel was 85% occupied the week we stayed), occasionally we had to walk round the Mountain View twice to find a table. Sun loungers round the (five) pools were sometimes difficult, but the beach always had free space.
The $5m question, would we go back? Well, perhaps not as many times as some of the past reviewers, nor of Michele and her three female family members, but YES certainly, in fact you may find us there next February / March and make it ten nights not seven! Truth and opinion but truth, from my experience, RECOMMENDED without hesitation, just don’t go expecting UK five star, go and enjoy - everything you need for a good holiday!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisR200
Sierra_Sharm, Manager at Sierra Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

It is always pleasing to hear that our guests were satisfied with the facilities and service during their vacation and that you plan to return at some stage in the future.

Once again, we thank you very much for your report and we look forward to welcoming you back at the Sierra Resort.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

just to say how delighted we were with the the whole set up of the Seirra the pool the bars soho square and the hotels eating places the Matarta food was a delight something for everyone the staff made you feel welcome at all times the life guard and towel attendent was a great friend to the both of us and we have to mention his name Elsaid looked after us all the time we will be going back next year.

Room Tip: we stayed on the second floor room number 7505 as there are only two floors this was ideal.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Sierra Resort for your recent holiday and for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went with my husband and 2 kids age 7&9 from 17th-24th Feb. My idea of a great holiday is relaxing round a pool while someone brings me drinks and the kids are off playing - I've never actually had that though until now!!!!
The main pool ( one of two pools that the kids are allowed in) is HUGE and really all my kids needed!
Soulby at the main pool bar was amazing and learnt all our names (and drinks!) on day 1 and was constantly walking round the pool asking if he could get us anything.

Also the fact that the kids could go and get themselves pizzas (really nice!) and burgers and chips from around the pools and not have to come in for lunch was a real bonus.
I think the food in general was of a high standard, I'm vegetarian and often struggle on holiday but there was plenty of choice, if you wanted to be really healthy then it could easily be achieved - you can always offset this with lots of cocktails ;)

Rania in the main food hall was really lovely with us and the kids and is a real asset to the hotel - good luck with the baby and I really hope the management decide to take her back after some maternity leave as it wouldn't be the same without her there.

We had a bit of hassle on arrival as we'd booked a quadruple room with On The Beach and there was 1 triple bed and a single bed and as it was late when we got there and the kids were tired thats how we left it. . . .we didn't have a great 1st night, but the hotel made up for this by upgrading us to room 1406 by the main pool and put an extra bed in the room. So unless you book an interlocking room you will all be sharing one big room, which was fine in the end for us.
Mahmoud who looked after our room was lovely and couldn't help enough even when the bed got wet twice :(

Soho square is great and right next to the hotel, you don't get the feeling of being stuck in one place because its all inclusive at all. The added bonus of ice skating and bowling is fab as well.

We booked a trip to see a dolphin show (which was great) and then for the kids to swim with them after, we were all really excited but the reality was the water was FREEZING and my 7yo wouldn't get in and my 9yo did but didn't enjoy it at all as it was just so cold.
When we got back to the hotel some other family's had taken their kids out on a glass bottom boat and had a great time and I really wish we'd done that instead.
Maybe the dolphin water gets warmer as the year goes on but I don't think this it is suitable for children under 12.

There were lots of Russians at the hotel who I have to say are mostly really ignorant and rude - is there no Please or Thank you in that language?! But that certainly wouldn't put me off going again.

I've never wanted to go back to a hotel as there are so many places in the world to visit, but if I get my way we will all be back here next year again!

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and for all the positive and helpful observations.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday was both relaxing and memorable.

May we thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sierra Resort in the very near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sierra hotel for a week on the 10th March 2013.
I will start with the staff at the Sierra as they are the best part of this hotel by far, apart from the reception staff who are not very friendly at all to be honest. The pool staff were great especially 'ELEA' and 'SAMEH' at the Oasis pool. They made our stay a delight especially ELEA who was always happy and would bring us our favorite drinks, please note Sierra management this chap is a real credit to your establishment as is Sameh and also 'SHERIF' from housekeeping who helped make our stay great with his friendliness and efficiency. We stayed on the Premium all inclusive package deal. Great value as it included the food court at SOHO square and drinks at various bars. The food in the food court was amazing and all the food (especially the pizzas, noodles and Egyptian food was fantastic and such large portions too). The hotel was good but not 5* in either of our opinions for the following reasons...
-Lobby entrance very basic and no wow factor at all as with all of the hotel and grounds (the garden staff are great though and always working hard with a smile, again a real credit to the Sierra)
-Lunch and evening meals very basic and repetitive
-Lack of choice of food at all meals apart from breakfast
-Themed evening meals all the same nearly - again very basic (and before people say this is what Egypt is like its not - we stayed at Laguna Vista in Nabq bay 5 years ago and the food selection was amazing and ten times tastier - and that is listed as a 4 and a half star hotel with much more of a wow factor in every department in both food and grounds/facilities!)
-rooms are a four star standard not 5 as no mini bar, no drinks included in room apart from water and instant tea and coffee. Again not 5*!
-Management at reception are not friendly and quite arrogant although they are reasonably efficient
-Beach area is far too small for the amount of people that use it and facilities there for food are poor, as is the quality of the food. The staff again are making the best of it but deserve better to use. The burgers and pizzas at the various areas in the hotel are very average to poor. I will say that we did not get ill at any point from the food which is very good for Egypt so a thumbs up there Sierra.
Without writing to long a report the Sierra is a great hotel that should be a four but definitely not five star hotel, I really cant say that enough, had it of been then my review would have been quite the opposite.

Room Tip: Rooms near the Oasis pool good as we loved being near our favorite pool
1  Thank Balboa965

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Sierra Resort for your recent holiday and for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff looked after you well.

The Sierra has been officially rated as a 5* hotel because of the diversity of facilities that we offer our guests. If you had needed anything else to improve your stay, we would have done everything possible to help. We would also like to draw your attention to the fact that our hotel is on the doorstep of the unique Soho Square and this brings so much more to the Sierra – something which no other hotel in Sharm can offer (except of course, our sister hotel, The Savoy).

We are surprised to read your comments about our reception staff. The Savoy Training School delivers on-going training to all our staff throughout the year on a wide range of topics, including courtesy. Your comments have been passed to the relevant department and to the School for their immediate attention. Thank you for flagging this up.

The character of the Sierra Resort is that of a cosy, small and more informal hotel and consequently this is reflected in the design of the lobby. That ‘wow’ factor is more fitting to the Savoy lobby. Please note that pictures of the lobby and the rest of the hotel and its facilities are available on our official website and those of travel companies.

At the Sierra we serve a wide variety of food for lunch and dinner. Every day there is a selection of items and we have weekly theme nights, changed each evening. They include Oriental, English, Italian, International, Asian and a BBQ night. We try to cater for all food tastes and nationalities – British, Russian, Scandinavian, Dutch, Italian and more. Moreover, we provide a free dinner at Akuna Matata where there are several restaurants offering pizza, Chinese noodles, BBQ, local food, international and seafood. Furthermore, Café Chino (Lebanese Restaurant) is also available complementary for evening meals. We have received so many positive comments about our restaurants. Akuna Matata and Café Chino are located in Soho Square and we believe that there are not many hotels that provide the opportunity to dine outside the hotel as part of the package. In addition to all this, our chefs are happy to adapt and create special dishes from the ingredients available for those with special dietary needs if they let him know. There is so much variety for our guests.

Kindly note that our rooms are indeed 5*. Each room has air-conditioning, complementary safe, TV, telephone, cable/Wi-Fi internet connection, tea & coffee making facility, bathrobe and slippers – all of this is complementary and not every 5* hotel offers such facilities and services. A pillow menu is available and the guests may choose the most suitable pillow, free of charge. All standard-room bathrooms are of the same size and all the information related to the rooms is communicated through many different channels including our website, travel agents, tour operators and fact sheets. Here at the Sierra, we do everything we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Our Sierra Beach is about 500m from the Sierra Lobby and we have a regular shuttle bus going there and back every 30 minutes from morning to sunset. The golden, sandy beach is 72 x 45 metres, which we find substantial and there is plenty of room on the beach and around the pools to accommodate everyone even when the hotel is full. The view from our beach is beautiful and we have been complimented on it on many occasions.

We are sorry to read that you were not happy with the snacks at the beach but please note that we have the same high quality and variety of snacks at the pool and we offer good choice of sandwiches. Again, if you had needed anything special, our staff would have been happy to help.
Once again thank you very much for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor and we sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Sierra in the future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Nice hotel, great staff, no I should say excellent staff, could not do enough for you. The hotel is looking a bit dated but it is kept spotless. The food is good, hot but nothing to write home about. Pool was heated and as the weather was a bit cold a few days you could still have a dip. Drinks were OK again nothing special but the service was great and you did not have to wait for service either by the bar or around the pool or terrace. Can't say anything about the entertainment as we are early risers and early to bed. There is no need to get up early as there were plenty of beds available, although there were the usual guests who grabbed 4 sun beds and didn't use 2 of them all day, plus others who would put towels on the beds and leave them there all day, but that's not the hotels fault.

Would not go back, but that's just us as we won't stay at the same place twice, but for some winter sun I would recommend the Sierra, thanks to all the staff.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Visited the Sierra for one week from the 11 to 18 March 2013, it was my third visit to Sharm and first to the Sierra,The hotel was recommended to me by my travel agent Brenda from Hays Travel who was excellent, I gave her a list of requirements and she came back with the Sierra, both hotels I stayed in previously were very good but we found them isolated, taxi or bus to get any where, this is where I will start my review, the location is superb,you walk out of the door and you are in Soho Square, plenty of entertainment bars shops and restaurants, the hotel itself if excellent grounds beautiful, 8 swimming pools most heated, we had garden view room which was quiet room was clean with all facilities, although the TV was ancient, but you don't go on holiday for the TV !! The bathroom was adequate and spotless with powerful shower. The check in was effortless, less than 10 mins and check in staff first class, as for the staff this is one of the main plus points for the hotel couldn't do enough for you, special mention to Elsaid our lifeguard at the main pool ( and we hope your wedding goes well) Malak the the barman at the main bar, and Sobhy the barman from the pool bar, the latter two kept us topped up with drinks all week often without being asked, there were only 2 minor issues with us for this hotel one was the food, not a great selection or brilliant quality, having said that you wouldn't go hungry and it certainly wouldn't stop me returning, on the plus side you could as part of the all inclusive use Matuna Makarta which is a food court with 6 different restaurants, be sure to try the Egyptian Feteel you can also use Cafe Chino a morrocan restaurant also very good! You could drink at the Queen Vic and the main entertainment bar in Soho Square,I thought the internet was expensive, all in all a great week at a great hotel, would we go back most definately

Room Tip: We had a garden view room in block 6, these are the cheapest in the hotel in believe and in my opini...
1  Thank Ianelliott1958

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.