“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the Grand Rotana. From the moment we arrived, to the sound of a huge gong being sounded announcing our arrival, to our check-out, the experience was nothing short of fantastic.
This hotel is relatively new (approx 1.5 years old) and during this time of year has low occupancy rates - about 30%. In my opinion this only added to our stay. Every member of staff was very polite and could not do enough for us. Their english was very good and their willingness to help was always apparent. Two members of staff in particular were outstanding - Amr (receptionist) helped organise a fantastic birthday for my girlfriend. Without his help I reallly would have been struggling! Secondly, Hani, customer relations, ensured we were always well catered for at the beach and updated us on all aspects of Egypt and Namya Bay that we may find interesting - a great help.
The hotel is situated about 10 minutes by car north of Namya Bay and just a short trip from the airport. It has a PADI diving centre within the hotel - excellent diving conditions. The hotel is extremely clean and rooms are serviced twice daily.
Couple of things to be aware of:
Before arriving ask the hotel to send a taxi to pick you up - we got seriously overcharged by the 'local taxi firm.' It should only cost 50 Egyptian pounds to the hotel from the airport.
Wine is seriously overpriced - for a bottle that would cost you approximately £10 in England you can expect to pay 4 times that amount in the restaurants.
Namya Bay - It has some very nice areas (good restaurant called 'On Deck') but be prepared for a lot of 'prospecting' from the local restaurant and shop owners, however do not let this put you off a port town that has a lot to offer.
If you are after a complete relaxation holiday - this hotel is, without question, the place for you. You will be treated Kings from the moment of your arrival to the time you leave. I have had other friends stay in Sharm and listening to their experiences I believe this hotel to be one of the very best, if not the best in Sharm.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mids9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed August 19, 2006

At first we were impressed by the outside area but when we went into the room it smelled of toilet. Had this room been cleaned? There was sand on the floor, gross spills on the table that left a sticky mess. We called the desk. They apologized and after much waiting sent us to an upgraded room. This room had a window between the shower and bed. No privacy! They light bothered us when it was being used.
We had an bug problem but they came in and spayed them away.
The food was a big disappointment. Cold food should be cold hot should be hot. No flavor other then butter to the prawns and dried old breads. Add some herbs or something.
Then on the 2nd evening the problems began with the toilet. It did not flush then it later flooded right after they fixed it. Then the toilet smell became unbearable. We asked them to change rooms again and they told us there was no other room available and that the entire hotel was having the same toilet problems due to poor water pressure. We could not understand that, the resort did not appear to be close to full. Made my husband MAD! We confirmed with other guests that they were indeed having toilet and smell problems so I don't understand these perfect ratings.
When we went to pay our bill at the front desk they charged us for the room upgrade. We couldn't believe it! We spoke to the acting manager and he said we required much room assistance and that we were never told the upgrade would be a free upgrade. I am shocked by his angry attitude and we wound up paying for a room with a smell and a view.
Oh I also want to say that that they came knocking very early in the mornings to take inventory of the fridge. They did not take notice of our do not disturb sign. This took away from our enjoyment and I feel I wasn't on holiday at all.
The Grand Rotana messed up our tour plans, I think they didn't understand English. We got our money back but missed our tour.

• Liked — the veiw
  • Disliked — the upgrade they offered us was not free
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid Grand Rotana
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TravelLadynow
Cornwall
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Booked the holiday with Lastminute who where excellent. The agency where Mosaic Holidays they where so helpful. The hotel is out of this world!! I can not begin to explain how awesome it is!! The entire stay you feel like royals on holiday.

All the staff at the hotel are so friendly and wiling to help with the smallest of things! The food is exceptional, we stayed b+b and eat out most nights in Nama bay. However we did eat in some of the hotel restaurants and the food was fantastic!!

I can not express of good the hotel is, well worth a visit!

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Scott_slsc
scotland
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Went to the Grand Rotana in April and I just cannot wait to go back. I cannot fault this hotel. Like other reviewers, I was upgraded and had a lovely room that was very clean and spacious.

The staff were excellent and as a (married!!!!) lone female traveller I had my concerns. However, the staff were exceptionally professional, helpful and reassuring and I have got to say that I felt that I had aquired a family of big brothers who were there to look after me. I felt safe - very safe- at all times and had the very relaxing holiday that I had planned.

Pool fantastic and although there are a few reviews that are critical of the evening buffet - I cannot fault it - I always ate well and there was always something that I liked. And.....joy oh joy....they had a chocolate fountain...pancakes and chocolate at breakfast....and melted chocolate over everything at dinner time. What could be nicer?

So myself and my husband (yes I am taking him with me this time!) are going on 24th of December to spend the festive season there.

PS: I liked their sense of humour...when I asked if I could have a 'late room' on my last day they said that would be no problem and the price would be £100!!!! When I said that was a little bit expensive they said 'ok then for you it is free, you can have the room until you leave!!!'

All in all I just cannot wait to go back for another relaxing break.

• Liked — Attentive professional staff
  • Disliked — I loved everything about the accommodation
  • Tips/Secrets — Go there!!
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
8 Thank factor1
London
Reviewed July 26, 2006

What a wonderful place to stay. The staff simply couldn't do enough here to please you, they were very friendly and polite but they didn't make pests of themselves. We stayed at the Grand Rotana from 10th-22nd May and we couldn't find anything to complain about. We had read the reviews here about the hotel and for the few that were bad, we cannot understand where they were coming from. We received an upgrade as the spa that was due to be opening prior to our arrival was delayed so we got a complimentary upgrade to a delux sea view room. The room was very spacious and very clean. The decor was very contemporary and nice. The pictures of this hotel do not let it down and it certainly lived up to expectations. We will definately be returning to the Grand Rotana.

Silk Road is an absolute must, wonderful food here, in particular the Thai Seafoud Cappucino started (delicious!).

• Liked — The decor and luxury
  • Disliked — Needed more choice of food in Ramses restaurant and food needed to be a little warmer
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank cookba
wales
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I couldnt thank the grand rotana hotel & spa enough for the best holiday we have ever had. Starting off with security ATTEF was there to make sure you were safe. Then from there you had ABRUHAM 1, and ABRUHAM 2, waiting to take you to your rooms, and all the other concierge staff. Then you had the helpful receptionists. And i must say how wonderful and clean ALAMEIR cleaned my room 2115, there were clean towels twice a day, there were complimentry dressing gowns, and slippers, whatever we needed ALAMER would be there. Then there is the main restraunt, it was my daughter's birthday and AHMED, SHERIFF, HASSAN, ASHRAFF, MOHAMMED and all the other staff made her a a birthday cake. they were all wonderful and the food is wonderful to. Even by the pool you were looked after like the queen, fresh fruit and iced towels to cool you down. I have to also recommend the spa and gym. and if you want a relaxing drink go to the isis bar where ALSYED and staff will look after you. The only thing i would say is dont be frightened to use the taxis outside the hotel, mohamed taxi number 263 took wonderful care for us, and we have become very good freinds. I would rate this hotel as a 5 star, my husband, 2 children and myself have booked again.

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank mellin
chester, england
Reviewed July 2, 2006

We returned from a week at the Grand rotana resort and spa in april.The hotel is magnificent and its one of the best hotels we have stayed in the service was incredible. The hotel is very modern and clean, we stayed in a basic room and on arrival they up-graded us to a room overlooking the pool. The pool is lovely, its the biggest i've seen and the pool attendants were wonderful, laying out 2 towels per sun lounger, there is also a waiter that comes around with complimentary ice towels and fruit in the afternoon.
The breakfast was ok large selection to choose from the best restaurant was the 1 on the middle floor.
We cant fault the hotel but didnt really like going in to sharm el shakh centre there wasn't anything really decent to buy in the shops just small gifts and we personally didnt feel totally safe. There is nightlife in sharm el shakh but it was quiet whilst we were there. We would advise to go on a quad bikes in to the desert it lasts about 3hours and you go in to the desert to have tea with the bedwins.
Overall I would say this is very good high standard hotel and I am extremely fussy! If you want a luxury quiet a quite holiday then this is a must.

7 Thank jetsetter21