“I'm going back!!!”

Ranked #19 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
scotland
“I'm going back!!!”
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Went to the Grand Rotana in April and I just cannot wait to go back. I cannot fault this hotel. Like other reviewers, I was upgraded and had a lovely room that was very clean and spacious.

The staff were excellent and as a (married!!!!) lone female traveller I had my concerns. However, the staff were exceptionally professional, helpful and reassuring and I have got to say that I felt that I had aquired a family of big brothers who were there to look after me. I felt safe - very safe- at all times and had the very relaxing holiday that I had planned.

Pool fantastic and although there are a few reviews that are critical of the evening buffet - I cannot fault it - I always ate well and there was always something that I liked. And.....joy oh joy....they had a chocolate fountain...pancakes and chocolate at breakfast....and melted chocolate over everything at dinner time. What could be nicer?

So myself and my husband (yes I am taking him with me this time!) are going on 24th of December to spend the festive season there.

PS: I liked their sense of humour...when I asked if I could have a 'late room' on my last day they said that would be no problem and the price would be £100!!!! When I said that was a little bit expensive they said 'ok then for you it is free, you can have the room until you leave!!!'

All in all I just cannot wait to go back for another relaxing break.

• Liked — Attentive professional staff
  • Disliked — I loved everything about the accommodation
  • Tips/Secrets — Go there!!
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank factor1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed July 26, 2006

What a wonderful place to stay. The staff simply couldn't do enough here to please you, they were very friendly and polite but they didn't make pests of themselves. We stayed at the Grand Rotana from 10th-22nd May and we couldn't find anything to complain about. We had read the reviews here about the hotel and for the few that were bad, we cannot understand where they were coming from. We received an upgrade as the spa that was due to be opening prior to our arrival was delayed so we got a complimentary upgrade to a delux sea view room. The room was very spacious and very clean. The decor was very contemporary and nice. The pictures of this hotel do not let it down and it certainly lived up to expectations. We will definately be returning to the Grand Rotana.

Silk Road is an absolute must, wonderful food here, in particular the Thai Seafoud Cappucino started (delicious!).

• Liked — The decor and luxury
  • Disliked — Needed more choice of food in Ramses restaurant and food needed to be a little warmer
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank cookba
wales
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I couldnt thank the grand rotana hotel & spa enough for the best holiday we have ever had. Starting off with security ATTEF was there to make sure you were safe. Then from there you had ABRUHAM 1, and ABRUHAM 2, waiting to take you to your rooms, and all the other concierge staff. Then you had the helpful receptionists. And i must say how wonderful and clean ALAMEIR cleaned my room 2115, there were clean towels twice a day, there were complimentry dressing gowns, and slippers, whatever we needed ALAMER would be there. Then there is the main restraunt, it was my daughter's birthday and AHMED, SHERIFF, HASSAN, ASHRAFF, MOHAMMED and all the other staff made her a a birthday cake. they were all wonderful and the food is wonderful to. Even by the pool you were looked after like the queen, fresh fruit and iced towels to cool you down. I have to also recommend the spa and gym. and if you want a relaxing drink go to the isis bar where ALSYED and staff will look after you. The only thing i would say is dont be frightened to use the taxis outside the hotel, mohamed taxi number 263 took wonderful care for us, and we have become very good freinds. I would rate this hotel as a 5 star, my husband, 2 children and myself have booked again.

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank mellin
chester, england
Reviewed July 2, 2006

We returned from a week at the Grand rotana resort and spa in april.The hotel is magnificent and its one of the best hotels we have stayed in the service was incredible. The hotel is very modern and clean, we stayed in a basic room and on arrival they up-graded us to a room overlooking the pool. The pool is lovely, its the biggest i've seen and the pool attendants were wonderful, laying out 2 towels per sun lounger, there is also a waiter that comes around with complimentary ice towels and fruit in the afternoon.
The breakfast was ok large selection to choose from the best restaurant was the 1 on the middle floor.
We cant fault the hotel but didnt really like going in to sharm el shakh centre there wasn't anything really decent to buy in the shops just small gifts and we personally didnt feel totally safe. There is nightlife in sharm el shakh but it was quiet whilst we were there. We would advise to go on a quad bikes in to the desert it lasts about 3hours and you go in to the desert to have tea with the bedwins.
Overall I would say this is very good high standard hotel and I am extremely fussy! If you want a luxury quiet a quite holiday then this is a must.

7 Thank jetsetter21
Sco
Reviewed July 1, 2006

Hotel is great for a relaxing holiday as a couple or family.

Not a 5* however a good 4* with many 5* servicies and facilities.
The staff do make it, they are very good, courtious, friendly, approachable and attentive. Occupancy was low when we stayed, so this high standard maybe hard to sustain during busier periods. No complaints.

Room service was good quality, reasonably priced and prompt.
Breakfast was good with plenty of options, although I didn't realise just how much I'd miss pork. Evening meal in the same restuarant (Ramses) was dissapointing, although other nights may have been less so, as they theme each night. Glad we went B&B though.

Italian (Mezzaluna) was good, with the staff being very welcoming, friendly and accomodating with some of our special requests.

Silk Road as mentioned was certainly more in line with the hotels status, both in atmosphere, quality of service and menu. Crazy feeling though buying a £4.00 bottle of Merlot for the best part of £40 but that's Egypt for you!

Pool area is great, very clean. The pool, and bar staff where both attentive and helpful. Pool itself is vast lagoon style connected to pool bar, two seperate kids pools and water slide.

Infinity pool was not open sadly, however the spa was. Downstairs was a medium sized sauna and steam room, small plunge pool and shower and changing facilities. Next door was the gym with some great equipment.

Spa was upstairs and was 1st class. Wide menu and excellent service, could imagine booking could be difficult when occupancy becomes higher, a must after a days quad biking in the mountains! Great value for your hard earned to boot.

Rooms were fine, clean, functional but a fair bit below the quality you would expect at a 5* nice pool/sea view in the main building though.

Travel to either Namma Bay or Old Sharm was 10/15 minutes and arranged via reception on the hotel shuttle.

There is no beach as such, but a terraced beach/cliff coastline, with plenty of space and sunloungers. Terrace bar/grill is located close to the waters edge with jetty across the reef.

Watersports available alongwith diving and snorkling tuition and equipment hire, all great value for money.

Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank Henke147
traveller162
Reviewed June 30, 2006

1st July 2006 Grand Rotana Hotel is in an excellent location, away from the hustle and bustle of Naama Bay 8 km, offering a well laid out hotel with an excellent pool, fantastically decorated and offering 5 restaurants.
Room was a great size good size bathroom, ocean view which is stunning and Tiran Island on the horizon.
Room cleaned twice a day, all hotel complex clean and tidy.
5 restaurants Silk Road a mix of Asian and Indian food,
Mezzaluna Italian food pizza, pasta and salads
Sky Lounge Snacks, Cocktails and Sheesha
Pool side Snacks Pizza Burgers
Palms beach bar Burgers, Grills, Catch of the Day
All restaurants very clean Staff are great and very attentive down side is very limited menus and they havent got it quite right everything is served with fries unless you ask and if you ask for the seabass it tends to come out burnt. Definate ok no problem food is the Pizza, Lamd Kofta, Chicken Shawarma, In a sentance dont go to The Rotana for a culinery experience.
The hotel offers all the usual day trips and sea adventures we stuck to the snorkle and flippers, as the hotel has two pontoons out to sea which you can jump off and take in the magic of the coral and amazing shoals of tropical fish, that truely was a fantastic experience. We would have preferred a beach with sand, its actually man made shale a little rough on the toes and u cannot just step into the sea, its a walk down one of the pontoons whch made you feel sea sick and then the sea drops twenty metres down not the best for small childeren or someone who dosent posess a strong stomach.
We arrived on the 17th June and stayed for 11 nights the hotel was pretty empty when we arrived so we literally had the run of it, towards the end of the trip it started to fill up so if you want a really quiet holiday go about a week before we did.
Naama Bay you can enjoy a sheesha in one of the many locations up the main drag our favourite was Fawnes which is a chain and they also have a very reasonble restaurant with great Lebanese food above the shopping centre dinner for two £20 including 1/2 Litre of beer and a bottle of wine, dont over order as the cold starters hoummos, mutabal, fattouch salad are pretty big and taste great, they come with as many baskets of arabic bread you can eat. Camel Bar roof is good to go to for a bottle of Oberlisk Rose and a great view of Naama. We found on our last night all the restaurants down by the water front after going to the Marriot Hotel for Tepanyaki which was excellent well worth a visit book though as its gets very busy, a little more expensive £50 per head that was with lots to drink including cocktails.
Naama Bay has a little of a oppresive atmosphere, the restaurants and shop keepers can be very pushy to get you to dine or shop with them, after a few days we found we just had to say no or ignore them, to not have our evening ruined.
If your a woman on your own or in a group of females I would not put it down as a great destination for a hassel free holiday, the locals are not descreet when they check you out and it becomes very tiresome, and even though I was glued to my husbands arm it does not stop them. We found Naama Bay does not offer the magic and mystery of Egypt one may imagine, its more like a smaller Ibiza, I dont think the masses of neon palm trees help.
All in all if you want a short flight to great heat with a great hotel awaiting your arrival and your not too bothered about the food or shopping then Sharm El Sheike is a great destination .

7 Thank traveller162