“Amazing staff amazing hotel”

Grand Rotana Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“Amazing staff amazing hotel”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

we have just returned from two week from the grand rotana and it was amazing hotel, just 5 min from naa'ma bay and soho .
we stayed 10 days in building 3 , the rooms were big and kept very clean .
service from all staff members was first class ,excellent service , they all were friendly and all time smiling

• Stayed August 2013
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Israa,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. your comments will be passed on to the team.

Azmi Sami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 10 night stay at the Grand Rotana Resort & Spa and for the most part it was an enjoyable stay. The hotel itself had only 45% occupancy at the time of our visit probably due to the fears of unrest in Cairo some 500km away. We only had 1 night where the curfew was sanctioned throughout Egypt but you would never know there was one at the hotel as things carried on as normal.

We went "All Inclusive" although as we are not big eaters or drinkers probably could have got away with Half Board.
As part of the All Inclusive Package you are allowed to visit "only one" of the 3 Main Restaurants as part of the package. We decided to eat at the Silk Road which looked to have a great menu. However when we arrived at the restaurant at 8pm I was told I couldn't come in as I had shorts on. Now I take great pride in my appearance and the shorts were designer so you can imagine my response when I was told I couldn't come in. I was offered to eat outside on the patio area however. This I declined.
I was told that in our Welcome Letter it states No Shorts are allowed in any of the 3 Main Restaurants. (I subsequently checked that out and found it says "Smart Casual" is required and no mention of no shorts).
There was a lady sitting at one of the tables eating on her own and she had a pair of cropped shorts on. I said is there one rule for the opposite sex?
I think the Management at the Grand Rotana need to clearly clarify the dress code for the 3 Main Restaurants.
It did damping things that night but we still had a lovely evening down at The Palms Grill. Can I just say the Palms is a credit and the staff and food are very good.

As for the buffet restaurant Remeses (you can visit here as many times as you like) be prepared for a contrast. If you like repeative food day in day out then this is the place for you and if you have manners be prepared to meet other guests from the former Soviet States who for the most part don't seem to have many.
Things that could be improved in Remeses - clean plates and cutlery would be a start. Too many times I had to change my cutlery from another table.
A varied and better menu that caters for all cuisines.
The staff try hard however and for the most part are very good. I'm sure they can see the errors?

So positives and negatives for the hotel:

Positives:
Location, room, beach, snorkelling, staff, Dive Centre,

Negatives:
Definition of All Inclusive package, Remeses Restaurant (change/varied menu)

Conclusion: A great place for 7-10 days vacation if you can put up with Remeses and the food. Perhaps try the Ultra All Inclusive Package. This hotel however is not a true 5* Hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Haydn,

Thank you for staying with us during your last trip to Egypt. we are sad to hear that you have not fully enjoyed your stay with us and we are apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

israel
Reviewed August 29, 2013

we have just returned from one week from the grand rotana and it was amazing hotel location and design , just 5 min from naa'ma bay and soho .
we stayed 10 days in building 3 , the rooms were big with a lovely balcony and we have a sea view , the rooms were kept very clean .
there is a plenty to do in the hotel , service from all staff members was first class especialy in the main restuarant , it was great , the food at the main restuarant is of top quality and high standard with excellent service , they all were friendly and all time smiling , they also have a healty eating corner they have a range of delicious food .
we were lucky enough to meet the main chef cafer aral , a great , lovely and helpfull man and a real asset to the hotel .
he is the thing that will keep us coming back to this hotel .
we would like to say thank you to every one at the hotel for an amazing holiday .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Shiren,

Thank you for yoru kind words and we would like to assur you that your comments will be shared with all concerned departments.

we hope to see you again very soon.

Regards,

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have just arrived back from 10 amazing days at the Grand Rotana. From arrival to departure I can honestly say that we have nothing negative to say. We went Ultra all inclusive which I recommend to anybody, try and book this in advance through your tour operator ( we used classic collections who were excellent). It gives you 100% usage of all food and beverages in all the restaurants. We stayed in building 2 on the ground floor overlooking the sea with a garden of our own patio. The pool was amazing and very welcoming due to the heat. All pool attendants were so attentive and genuinely wanted to be of assistance to you by making sure you had the same beds each day with towels as soon as you arrived. We eat at all the restaurants but one we used every day for lunch and sometimes for evening meal too was the Palms bar and grill. From the 1st day we were made to feel special and welcome. We struck up a relationship with Hany. He was just the best! He looked after us and went the extra mile every day. Eventually we did not have to ask for our regular order of drinks as he knew exactly what we wanted and when. His personality and humour made our holiday for us, he is an absolute credit to the hotel as are the others who work in the Palms grill. Silk road is an amazing restaurant and again with amazing staff. We enjoyed the Mezzaluna Italian very much as we did miss our garlic rush. We asked for extra Garlic in dishes that we ordered and they did not disappoint, all food was cooked and presented to the highest standard. We stayed between 12th and 22nd august and obviously they were well documented issued regarding troubles in Cairo. The country went in a state of emergency on our 3rd day which concerned us at first, however, I can categorically say that it did not effect us in any way in south Siani. The hotel staff were very reassuring and a good source of information. We did go outside the resort twice to Soho and Old Sharm with no negative reactions or felling of uneasiness. We can assure anybody who is travelling to Sharm in the near future that it is entirely safe and unaffected. The Grand Rotana made a lasting impression on us and we will certainly return in the near future. Thank you to everybody who made our stay so special and relaxing you are all a credit to the hotel, cannot wait to return.
Mr & Mrs Moore.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to buildings 1 or 2 as they are sea front and just the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M
Dear Andy,

London
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have just returned from 2 weeks at Grand Rotana and I was not disappointed! The hotel as you drive up is amazing and just 5 mins from the airport. I wouldn't bother with a transfer, the hotel can send you out a nice taxi to the airport which is $20. Check in was easy, reception staff were polite and they gave us a cold towel which was a nice touch after travelling all day!
The hotel is huge, we were driven by a golf buggy to our room which was a premium room, right next the theatre looking out to the sea, room is nice and clean, towels etc changed everyday, with our shower gels arranged in neat lines, room was cleaned perfectly without fail everyday.
The pool area is amazing and huge! I arrived on 30th July and the hotel must of had about 10 people around the pool, but by the end of Ramadan it was very busy but still sunbeds were available. The guys at the towel centre were great laying our towels out in our favourite spot. Animation team are great and from what I heard from families staying there that they are good with the kids. The special thing about this hotel is the views, there are no other hotels in sharm with these sorts of views and the landscaping is immaculate with gardeners working round the clock.
The beach is nice, it is shingly but lovely views. I didn't try the aqua sports so can't comment but I think they're pretty cheap from what I heard and they look like good fun!
I upgraded to ultra all inclusive ($30 per day per person) which personally I think is well worth it to eat lunch and dinner at any restaurant. The main restaurant ramses has a range of food but is all quite simple. My favourite restaurant has to be Mezzaluna, the food is amazing but the thing that kept us coming back was Mohammed, if you are lucky enough to meet him you will not be disappointed, lovely man and a real asset to the hotel. The palms is also really nice and looks out onto the sea, they do all sorts like burgers, sea food, chicken etc. Silk road is (I think) the 3rd best restaurant in sharm I was told and this doesn't surprise me as food is amazing. The hotel are very strict on cleanliness etc for preparing food which reflects in the fact I didn't get ill once in 2 weeks.
The evening entertainment in the sky bar is ok, I didn't really go up there much but I heard the kids entertainment which sounded good.
I would recommend going into naama bay, I think a taxi is $10, really good place for clubs, bars, cafes etc. Soho square is ok but expensive. I would say sharm is an extremely safe place for tourists (despite all the turmoil in cairo), I am a 21 year old girl and I would be more than happy to return to this hotel by myself (actually returning in November) as it is gated and security is top notch.
The staff here work very hard and tips go a long way, it is quite clear that they work for their tips and they are more than happy to do everything and anything for you.
I would like to say thank you to everyone at the hotel for an amazing holiday, and special mention to Amir who works at the pool bar, he is a real asset to the hotel and great at making drinks so look out for him!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Georgina A
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Georgina,

England
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel was amazing!! The rooms were big with a lovely big balcony. We stayed in building 7 which was in the gardens and although we didn't have a sea view, it didn't matter. The rooms were kept very clean and we had no problems with the cleaner (which I read in past reviews). All money and passports and other valuables were kept in the safe at all times.

We didn't go all inclusive and opted for just bed and breakfast which was fine. A lot of the meals we ordered didn't come In the all inclusive package anyway. Breakfast was lovely and all three of the restaurants we are in (silk road, mezaluna and palms grill) had wonderful food not to mention the service was excellent. We ate out a few times too which was why we didn't want to go all inclusive and the meals again werent too pricey (£21-£25 for 2 people) there's a free shuttle that takes you to naama bay and also a taxi service (£6.50) that can take you to other places. The location of the hotel is in a quiet area and we didn't want to spend a week stuck in the resort so we made full use of the shuttles and taxi services. There are 3 shuttles at 12, 5pm and 10pm. The only problem was that if you wanted to have dinner in naama bay, the times were rather awkward. An 8pm shuttle would have been perfect.

There's plenty to do in the hotel. The main pool was not too cold like other pools I've been in in other hot countries and the infinity jacuzzi pool was perfect. One of the things I loved most about the hotel was that it was not too busy and finding a sun lounger really wasn't a problem at all.

They have a diving centre by the beach and I would definitely recommend going snorkelling and scuba diving. The water is so clear and the fish and sea life are out of this world. It was like being inside an aquarium.

Service from ALL staff members was first class from the gardeners to restaurant staff. If you have any queries about your flight, holiday rep or transfers..the reception staff go above and beyond what I have seen from other reception staff at other hotels.

I travel a lot and this was my first time staying at this hotel and visit sharm. One of the best hotels for service and beauty that i have stayed in. A big thank you to all the staff who were so friendly and welcoming. I would definitely come back to sharm and this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2013
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Ness,

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was our first time to Egypt and it was fantastic.
We booked this holiday months ago and we were very concerned with the recent political turmoil and the situation in Cairo. We even thought about cancelling the trip. Glad that we didn’t. Please feel free to read the earlier reviews but I believe Grand Rotana Hotel has changed so much in the last few months. Yes, there are still little problems here and there but in no way does this remotely spoil the experience. Yes, it was extremely hot and it was middle of Ramadan and all the staff were fasting all day long but they were going round like robots working extremely hard and always smiling! The main restaurant was great. Rooms are nicely furnished & all landscaping done to perfection. I have to say the quality of the rooms, buildings, plumbing, pools, paths ... everything - no corners have been cut. The workmanship is of very high standard.

We travelled as a family with two kids (5 & 7) so booked a family room, this meant the kids had their own room (with own tv & stocked fridge) & ensuite. The waiters and other hotel staff were great with the kids.

Mini Club:
You can let the kids play to their hearts content in the outdoor pool here. There weren't many kids around (we are moving overseas soon so were in Egypt to take in some sunshine prior to our move) so older kids might get bored especially if this had been a two week stay. Overall the animation team looking after the kids were excellent and the mini disco each night was loved by our two.

Restaurants & Bars:
We tipped our waiters in the early days. These guys would remember your fav drinks, no sooner had they seen you then your 'usual' would be at the table. Oh, confession.... if a barman says "cheers boss" to you then that could be my fault! (Sorry!)

Excursions:
I would recommend the guys at the dive centre than the boys who do the water sports facilities. People were unhappy with the way they paid for the boat/banana rides but didn’t get value for their money!

All and all, it was a great holiday thanks to the staff and management of Grand Rotana Hotel. Will certainly go back to Egypt again and probably this hotel again.

Room Tip: Show your appreciation by tipping the staff and you would get an even more amazing service.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Megg,