“very nice beach”

Ranked #19 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
london
“very nice beach”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

hotel is big and nice, but rooms like in all sharm old, food is simular every day, not much choice. but beach amazing, very big, cocktails in bars strong and nice :) doesnt have much entertainment but nice beach vacation.

Room Tip: best rooms with sea view.
2 Thank Hani D
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Solnishko,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments will be shared with all concerned departments.

We hope to have you staying with us again soon.

Azmi Sami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

First thing you'll notice as you walk around the property is "Wow, they must have put a lot of money into this." A two floor spa-gym complex, hundreds of transplanted palm trees they love talking about, and a four story main building complex complete with three oversized restaurants, a rooftop bar and a nightclub.

However, if you're here for anything but a brief stroll, you will realize your money is better spent elsewhere - which explains why there are only a few people running around the massive compound.

To boot, upper management upon booking told us they will try to secure upgrades/compliments because it was our honeymoon, but when we checked in, the cold Egyptian front desk lady dismissed us without a second thought. "Your room is good enough." Then when we inquired further, the customer service rep made us search through our emails in the center of the lobby, as he breathed down our necks for the communication as proof. Wow, great customer service.

Second, Rotana picked a lot with a dead reef. Yeah, barely minnows swimming around. Hope you're not much into snorkeling/diving. (Maybe you came to the Red Sea to party in a dingy night club?)

The rooms are also pretty nasty, found a cigarette bud and a long strand of hair in the bathtub.

Finally, service service service... once again. Being loyal Hilton Honors members, we stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay before, which although a lower-tiered property, the service was on par with the Hilton brand. Upon arrival, my wife remarked to me "People are livelier at Hilton." I mean, the staff at most resorts we stayed at are encouraged to say "Hi, where are you from?" or "Welcome, how are you doing today?" But at Grand Rotana, the staff all seemed cold and uncaring, as if you are infringing on their daily lives. We were on the property for most of the day, the only time we received an acknowledgement was from the pool cleaner... sad.

I can say that we probably not be staying at any Rotana properties again. What a sight for crumbling infrastructure.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank ml8878
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us and I would like, first of all, to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience that it may caused you and would like to assure you that this situation does not reflect the standards, the procedure nor the spirit we conduct our business at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa or at any of our Rotana properties.

Once again, we would like to thank you for sharing this matter with us and for giving us the opportunity to improve further our standards.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visited the Rotana for the first time on the 7th January 2013 staying four nights. It's the first time we had visited Sharm el Sheikh. We stayed Bed & Breakfast.The breakfast was definately worth waking up for. Everything you could imagine available and what was not there the Chef simply cooked it for you. We have been utterly spoilt, it was everything we had hoped for and more!! The drive up to the resort takes your breath away, we arrived around 7pm so it was dark but the Hotel was beautifully lit up still with the xmas decs in place, and the entrance was beautifully lit. The reception staff made us very welcome and took us to the room on a buggy! The room was very clean and comfortable. The room was cleaned to a high standard every morning. The restaurants were all good. The Palms was our favourite day time eatery as the views are stunning. This was based at the side of the Red Sea. The spa was great and well worth a visit. The grounds are stunning with many palms and colourful planting giving the resort a tropical feel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place and can't wait to return! only problem was you had to pay for the Wifi Which was £6 for 30mins or £12 for two hours. A hotel like this should have provided it for free.

1 Thank barnsleytavernsltd
Dear Barnsley,

We are extremely pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to assure you that your comments will be shared with all concerned departments.

We hope to have you straying with again soon.

Best Regars,

West Sussex
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hotel is fantastic and we had a very enjoyable time in this hotel, friendly staff and great atmosphere, beautifully located right on the beach.
People could not be more helpful.
Beautiful well laid out grounds and gardens, Waiter service with a smile, the food was good.
Plenty of russians that are really rude.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nicola H
Dear Nicola,

We hope to have you staying with us again soon.

Cheshire
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I am going to try and write a not too lengthy a review, but hopefully people will read this to find out what I wanted to know about before going -

OK, it is not the same as a 5* UK hotel, so get that bit out of your head straight away. I decided on a Club Rotana room and was v pleased that I/we did, mainly because of not dining with the masses at breakfast, we had our own lovely room for breakfast, evening drinks and free wifi, one of the reasons I booked this as you pay for wifi else where. Slow at times but you could do what you wanted to do. Breakfast was quite lovely with more than enough choice I thought, choice of coffees too, ALL the staff in there were great and the view was quite beautiful.

The room, well - it was cleaned well each day, fresh towels, a little tired to be fair but more than adequate for our stay, block 1 had the most beautiful view from the balcony, the first morning we were nearly blinded with sun opening the curtain after such rain in the UK!

Restuarants - Ramases, OK for lunch, again I don't want to queue with the masses and eat in 15 minutes, our meal at night is part of our entertainment, so to be waited on is far better (for us). For lunch there was more than enough choice and all the food in there was excellent. The Palms, Italian and Silk Road are all fantastic and the staff in there are more 'switched on' to be fair, but then they are not as rushed off their feet in the main buffet one.

Now - All Inc, or Ultra All Inc, or is it All V Confusing?! The main difference I can see is with All Inc you get one voucher for one meal at one of the a la carte places, however your drinks are always included. With Ultra All Inc you can eat at the a la cartes whenever you want to. However, if you want to eat at the a la cartes and you are on the All Inc it is basically £18.00 for 2 of you, unless you choose an item with a star against it. (There are some time slots for All Inc to eat lunch somewhere different to the buffet place so can plan you meals accordingly). Some people mention the prices of drinks so for us the All Inc suited us to a tee, but next time I think we shall do the Ultra Inc as long as it works out less than paying £18.00 daily for the nicer meals.

There are a couple of odd things like C Lido is not included I don't think whatever package you are on for some reason, which was a shame at that was the place outside our room, but hardly a problem to walk for a minute and go to one of the other bars.

The gym was good and clean, the SPA was also very good, we had a couples massage. Glass bottomed boat trip, wouldn't bother again, snorkelling was far better and it was VERY choppy, people were going green and sadly some people were very rude and wouldn't move up so a little cramped. Quad bikes, well they were excellent and I think I would enquire about the cost of a 'one on one' sort of trip. They were great fun and it amazed me how well run it was as there must be 200 quads all over the place.

Sorry, this is lengthy, I also have to mention that we took a free shuttle to Naama Bay and made the mistake of coming back in a taxi, why hasn't anyone mentioned the taxi drivers??! He drove at 100 mph (seriously) and a bonnet lengths off being 3 abreast coming home, quite frightening to say the least, he thought it v funny when I mentioned Jenson Button as I kissed the ground when I got out!

Anyway, we enjoyed the stay so much we are thinking of going again this December, don't try and get your head around how to find your way around on the first night if you arrive in the dark like we did, v confusing!

I also have to mention the huge amount of sunbeds, loads around the pool and lots and lots on the 'beach' and the grass areas which are overlooking the sea, which is lovely and warm, warmer than the pool to be fair.

The Grand Rotana grows on you daily as you are there, we were quite sad to have only booked a week and shall do 10 days next time.

Room Tip: We were in Block 1, but I think many blocks have good sea views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CheshireSunflowerz
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope to have you staying with us again soon.

Best Regards,

Amman, Jordan
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife & I returned today from a 4 day / 3 nights stay at the Grand Rotana. We live in Amman, Jordan which is just 1 hour flight from Sharm and our trip was a last minute decision.

I should mention that we are world travelers and have visited over 50 countries in all six continents and I've been to Egypt on numerous occasions for business and pleasure, so I have the advantage of a certain local knowledge.

Having said that, we definitely had a wonderful time at the Rotana, truly relaxing & very enjoyable.

We had a Premium room in building 2 facing the sea and I must concur that the hotel grounds are just beautiful and there are many many areas where one could sit and enjoy the views.

Our favourite was the infinity Jacuzzi overlooking the sea near the main pool which is adults only. Then there is the Lido which is a perfect place to enjoy a sunset drink and watch the returning boats pass by. Whilst generally the food in Egypt is not the best, the Palms restaurant offers tables right over the water and we were treated to a perfect seafood lunch with a glass of Ouzo.

The service we received was nothing short of immaculate and here I will let you in on a secret. The Egyptians are proud people and appreciate being treated nicely, so a kind word goes a long way. Also it doesn't hurt if you add $10-15 per day by way of tips and this would make your stay infinitely more comfortable. I urge all travelers to Egypt to heed these two pieces of advice and you will see what a difference they will make. For us, service with a smile was instantaneous.

I got a mobile phone pre-paid card for just $1.50 and made arrangements with a taxi driver for $10 return trip (to town, Neema Bay, Soha...etc) so our transportation was always a phone call away.

Complaints? Well, the corridors are certainly noisy and the sound carries easily especially at night. The other thing (and I hope the managers read this) the WiFi situation was ridiculous. You can only get it in the lobby or at the pool and it was $10 for 30 minutes! I refused to pay it and would check my mail whenever I was anywhere in town, for free.

If you thinking of going to Sharm, I would recommend that you try the Rotana.

Room Tip: Building 1 or 2 are sea front. Choose ground floor to walk directly from terrace to garden & hav...
3 Thank Fawaz S
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind words and would like to assure you that your comments will be passed on to the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We visited the Rotana the week before Christmas. It's the first time we had visited Sharm el Sheikh and the first time we had booked a fully inclusive holiday. We have now been utterly spoilt, it was everything we had hoped for and more!! The drive up to the resort takes your breath away, we arrived early evening and the entrance was beautifully lit up. The reception staff made us very welcome and took us to the room on a buggy which made our son very happy!! The room was very clean and comfortable. The room was cleaned to a high standard every morning. The restaurants were all good. The Palms was our favourite day time eatery as the views are stunning. We have travelled a lot and this bar is now in our top 3 for location & ambience! The Silk Road restaurant was very nice, we ate there twice. Ramseys was our favourite, it is a buffet style restaurant, there is a wide choice of food and was always very good. We also tried the Italian restaurant which was ok but not our favourite!! There's a great games room and tennis court but the highlight for us was the reef and snorkelling with direct access from the beach area. There's a shop to hire all the gear from with helpful staff. There's a pontoon to take you right to the coral and beautiful fish, it's absolutely true that you don't need to take a boat trip, there's a great reef a stones throw from the beach. Lastly, the grounds are stunning with many palms and colourful planting giving the resort a tropical feel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place and can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank susan606
GrandRotana, Manager at Grand Rotana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards,