“Nice hotel, but rude staff”
Review of Halomy Hotel

Halomy Hotel
Ranked #161 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have to say that overall experience was very good and I think it is a great value for money, but there are some downsides.
We loved:
- nice territory
- selection of food
- location of a hotel
- amazing corals and fishes right there = free snorkeling
We hated:
- harrasement from animation team (but to be honest we made firend with one guy and he was very nice!), so were sold quad trip as exclusive, but it was group one and horrible! I managed to get money back as I couldn't stand that drive and asked to go back to the hotel. So I would not buy anything from them
- cats coming and trying to eat from our plates on outside tables (waiter blamed US for it as well!!!)
Could be improved:
- if you book half board, you are not given even soft drink or water with your meal, they watch out for you!!!
- swimming pool bottom has to be fixed as my friend cut half of her toe there :(
- toilet and sink were liking and has massive ants there, but I would say it's exspected for the price you pay, but would be nice to fix.

I think I would still go back if I'm on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Elena L

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Not really sure where to start ..... But I'll try with I would rather trap my **** in a car door than go to this hotel again .. And I use the word hotel loosely .
After being introduced to our room (202) we had a walk down into Nama bay which was quite pleasant really on our return to the room I soon realised I didn't need a key to open the door as my sunglasses did the trick ! The door was soo poorly fitting it was untrue . I asked to change rooms and was directed to room 110 which had a double bed and a great view of the bay . Now I'm not really one to complain but the room was filthy the air con was loud but at least it worked but not to worry I'd be round the pool in a few hours enjoying the sun . Up at 7.25 towels in hand and I needent have bothered the whole hotel had around 10 residents and there is a very good reason for that . The place is a death trap . However there was something amusing about the Dutch lad donning his goggles and snorkell to go searching for his older brothers toe which wads sliced off in the pool due to all the missing tiles . The manager was a helpful chap and seemed to have very good first aid skills :) . This place could be so nice with a little TLC and it is a real shame the owners have let it fall into such poor condition . Amazingly there were couples there that had returned more than once but having travelled from Warrington this place was probably luxury ( hi Simon:) ) all in all they should rename it the Hellomy hotel trust me keep your hard earned in your wallet . On the plus side you will lose some weight as the food is like a prisoner of war camp . I would like to elaborate more but the moderator would need to edit it .

• Stayed: July 2012
9  Thank Burnleyareback
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at Halomy last October for 3 weeks, and are due to go back october 7th this year.
The Hotel is,( as stated by many) in need of a Refurb. The problem with this is that you will have to pay through the nose if it does get upgraded. So we love the Halomy Hotel for value for money, the staff and the location,(which is the best in Sharm). Boss man Hafiz looks after you especially our little girl Jaydyn.
some staff have changed during our times there but all are very friendly and helpful. Food and drink is ok, Hotel although dated is very clean. Looking forward to seeing Hafiz, Hussain, Demas, and all the rest of the staff. We can not wait to sheck in,(check in,ha,ha) joke my wife has with the reception staff. We will be meeting up with very good friends once again,( Mr Alex, Phil & me Julie). I am even taking my mate along with us this time and have told him not to expect the Hilton, but he will get value for money. Sharm is very, very safe and I would recommend to everyone! . So Boss man Hafiz can you make sure we have our usual room 108 please from october 7th 2012.....

Room Tip: Ask and they will change you.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Pastylovers
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay in the Halomy and overall we had a good experience. We booked the hotel separate to our flights and it cost us £120 between 3 of us.

Room:

The room was very spacious with 2 single beds a double bed with an amazing view over Naama bay. As with previous reviews the rooms could do with some modernisation which we heard will be done in December. Showers lacked power at times but it still allowed you to have a decent shower. The shower curtain was dirty but we just put it to one side and never bothered using it.

Food:

We only had the B&B option but the food for breakfast was hardly appetising, then again for £40 each for a week I couldn't complain as we were rarely up that early to experience breakfast everyday!

Pool/Beach:

The pool area overlooked Naama Bay which looked amazing. Pool was never over crowded and clean. There was however numerous broken tiles which you have to watch out for!

Location:

Located on top of a cliff with amazing views overlooking naama bay. The stairs (Mount Everest) can be daunting after a long night in town but well worth the views when you get to the submit! Naama bay is literally 5 mins walk from the hotel but far enough to allow you to gets some piece and quite.

Workers:

The reception guy working during the mornings was moody and unhelpful but this was a contrast to the guy (Jamaal?) who worked there in the evening who couldn't do enough to help you.

Overall:

If you are on a budget and aren’t bothered about the finer things in life then this hotel is the right choice. We were 3 young(ish) lads that were out more than in the hotel. Our mates were staying at Falcon Naama Star which had an overcrowded pool at all times and was very busy. The rooms were much smaller and it lacked the view of Halomy. I would definitely book again with the price and location.

Room Tip: Room 106, very spacious
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Nothern_soul
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We booked a week here through "On the beach" after reviewing many travel website reviews. I have to ask what kind of places some of these reviewers are used to that they would give it anything over a poor rating. It was something from a comedy film that was scripted to show tourists staying in hell.
The entrance is sort of nice compared to the rubble piles and deserted areas around the building and the reception area is obviously designed to lure you into thoughts of luxury..like spraying air freshener in a dirty room so people think it is cleaner than it is. The grounds are pretty and somewhat well kept and the location on the top off the cliffs offer a fantastic view. This is a good thing as it gives you somewhere to look away from the rooms from the firey depths of hell.
The rooms are dark,smelly and need serious remodeling. The outsides of the buildings are also in sad shape. It reminded me of a block of flats I saw in Fiji in the 70's that was closed for demolition......yes,really that bad.
every fixture that involved running water leaked but you could see the seveal layers of attempted repairs clearly as they were all conducted poorly. Shower leaked everywhere,sink drains,taps,you name it. Hold on,let me imagin that view again so I don't get ill. Ok,lets go on.
The bed,which was a very old mattress on some assorted un-even bits of plywood,was like sleeping on an uneven campsite floor...assuming you could sleep with the noisey smelly air con on. we laughed as at this point it was still ammusing.
The dinner we had was so so and ok just because it offered something new to eat in a foreign land. Lucky I had my wife with me,as it gave the very flirtatious waiters a reason to visit,and stay too long,at our table. I found over time this is just part of the culture. these poor men work very long hours for little pay and usually have wives and family many miles away that they don't get to see much..maybe once a year. So,if you are a jeleous male,stay out of Sharm or you will go mental. But back to the food. It was obviously tasty as far as the birds that were with us at every meal were concerned. Flying around from food tray to tray,table to table. The chefs must have looked at them as a compliment as nobody seemed to try to shoo them out.
My wife declined to join me for breakfast,so the sparrow that joined me was a welcome guest. Very tame too,as he allowed me to hand feed him as he sat on the back of the chair oposite me. Do sparrows have palates...probably not and will eat just about anything.The breakfast looked like some stuff from the night before with a different garnish. Not good at all with exception of the omellete bar.
I then went to the front desk to request a nicer room. The manager was summond from his office and had a look on his face that showed many many years of having to deal with unhappy guests. His eyes showed in advance that he had little resourse to change my mind. We were shown 2 other rooms and none really had any improvement over where we were,but we decided on one and our bagage was moved over for us. After a few hours,we were slowly losing our sense of humour as we realized this was out holiday and we deserved much better. I paid to use the somewhat antiquated internet in the lobby and searched for a better venue. I contacted "On the beach" and they booked us into the St Georges Three Corners resort. It was outside the Sharm city area but had a free shuttle to town,so we went for it. What a HUGE difference a 3 star and 4 star property can make. (how the Holomy got any stars is beyond me)
It is sad that the Holomy has been left to get to this condition. It is located on probably the best bit of property in the town but has been left to become a run down flea bag hotel. A good chunk of money could bring it back to what it looked like it might have been in it's early years.
We packed our bags and called a taxi and moved out as fast as we could. The manager,who had that same look of "what am I doing here, I'm better than this too",asked us why we were checking out and if there was anything he could do. But he already knew the answer I think.
We had paid for 8 days and left after 2 1/2 and didn't even bother asking for any compensation. If we were willing to throw that money away,hopefully it shows you how sincere this poor review is.
I am sure this place cateres to a certain clientel (like very very rude guests that swarmed the place from a certain country that will go unmentioned but lost the cold war!!)or perhaps young people on a budget or people that have nothing better to compare too,but if you are a well travelled couple who like a bit of luxury,then avoid the Holomy like the demolition team it deserves has.
Always leave a nice tip where you can,I say..so,there is a small market on site that is independantly run. The owner is very pleasant and even let me go with a couple of bags of goods when I wandered in just before he was closing without my wallet and said to come back and pay in the morning. Also,if you require something he doesn't have,he offered to bring it in the next day for me.
There is also a pizza restaurant (wish I could recall the name)on the main stretch of the town on the left as you walk in. Not sure how they pulled this off,but it was by far one of the top 3 pizzas we ever had anywhere,including over 30 years in various parts of the USA. When we walked in the next day for more,the 2 chefs from the night before were so thrilled that Americans liked their pizza,they made us huge fresh ones even though we were only ordering a slice each.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else..like St George
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank travelcrazy727
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Halomy, 3rd visit (May 2012) to this hotel, since 2009.
What a shame that the owners are not investing in the 'up keep' of this little gem.

Pros:
Great location, the best location/view in Sharm. Should be promoted more by the hotel owners, then people will visit for a drink etc to enjoy the view.
Great pool & surrounding lounge areas with plenty of space even when busy, private sea jetty.
Fantastic staff, special mention for Mr Jarvis (pronounced Harvis) GM, Sam the pool guy, Smiley on reception & many more.
Unbelievable price if you search on the net. Paid £120 seven nights B&B for two sharing one room. That's £8.50 per person per night.

Cons: Food slightly bland, although we like to 'eat out' as part of our holiday. Other guests we spoke to said lunch & evening limited but OK.
Room choice a lottery..... Try & book low numbered 200's or 100's as all balconies have great views over the bay.
Everybody appeared to swap rooms at least once (Noisy AC, poor shower water pressure etc) with the problems apparently increasing year on year. But staff action very prompt in resolving issues although somewhat inconvenient.
112 steps down to Narma Bay, not a problem but reasonably fit people only please. Even saw the hotel security turning away people who strolled up to admire the view...... lost business opportunity I think.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dave229
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The Halomy Hotel was very good value for money, it was clean, staff coudnt do enough for you, and it took 10 mins walk into nama bay, its basic but the views are fantastic overlooking nama bay, I loved it there and will be staying there again in the future

Room Tip: roomsantastic foverlooking nama bay are
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo