“Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh”

Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort
Ranked #59 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
manchester
“Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Myself and my boyfriend have stayed at this hotel twice(Jan 09 and June 06 and would definately return for a 3rd time. The hotel is in a great location, approx 25-30 mins to airport and 10mins into Naama Bay. The hotel provides a shuttle service into Naama Bay, 3 times a day If I remeber correctly the times were 10am , 4pm and then 9pm. You cant pre book its a case of just turning up and hoping its not to busy. If you want to go in earlier you can get a private taxi which are inside the hotel grounds or if you go outside there are the local taxis. Expect to pay about 40 egyptian pound (not sure what the exchange rate is at the mo). Make sure you haggle with them, as they start off quite high.

Our hotel room was immaculate, (I noticed that our visit in Jan 09 they were decorating rooms). We had a view of the sea and found all facilities easily accesible from our room. You will be taken to your room by a golf buggy and then shown the nearest lifts/stairs etc by the luggage man.

Breakfast was included and there was a great variety.Something to suit all.
There were several restaurants at the hotel, prices did vary depending if you wanted a light snack or 3 course meal.
There were several pools including an adult only one, although we did not see many children so any of the pools would be fine.
The beach was our favourite, you didnt have to leave your sun lounger to get a drink as there were beach butlers . (it took me a while getting used to having somebody bring me drinks and food without me moving from my sun lounger.) They work extremely long hours in very hot weather so at times things can take longer so take this into consideration!
You will recieve a towel card when you check in, so dont forget to take that to the pool/beach!

Rooms cleaned daily, in the evening the maids would knock on our room to see if we needed anything else. Which I thought was a nice touch.

They also have a spa and hairdressers. I had a full body massage which I really enjoyed, you get to use the spa facilities before and after (incl plunge pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room)

You will find the hotel is expensive compared to Naama bay. But then again you are staying in a fantastic 5 star hotel.

We hope you enjoy the hotel as much as we did.

We recommend eating at The Little Buddha (Chinnese/Sushi), Hard Rock Cafe ( this does get extremely busy so book ahead or go early).

There is a taxi rank in Naama Bay with plenty of taxis, so you will be fine getting back.Just remeber to haggle and confirm your price before getting in.

2 Thank missvickster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sunnyside, Wa
Reviewed July 4, 2009

The staff was very friendly and professional. The concierge desk was very helpful with a change in our travel plans and got us to the airport on time to catch our flight home. The cleaning staff always greeted us when we saw them around the hotel. The pool butlers, Amr and Mohammed, were very nice, and provided excellent service and knew our names. The waiters at the Cafe Fresco and Beach were very good also. Service is slow, we usually had to ask for a check. But I got the idea that that is the point. It's not a place you go to rush around from one activity to the next, it is laid back and slow-paced. I didn't tip anyone, (I wasn't sure if I was supposed to, and there was gratuity included in the bill) and still had great service. The manager at Cafe Fresco knew our room number after the second day. That's the kind of service I expect at a 5*. They all had fun teaching us Arabic words.
The room was beautiful, marble floors and marble bath. Very clean. The staff came twice a day to tidy the room.
We ate at Cafe Fresco most of the time, salad and dessert is a perfect combination. I thought the buffet was varied and beautiful, and the food was good, not exceptional. The desserts were gorgeous and very good, with a completely different selection every day.
The pools were really fun. The lazy river pool was great for cooling off, and the waterslide was great. There were very few people at the hotel, so no problem getting a good lounger, and usually no waiting at the waterslide. There were a lot of children there, and they were sometimes loud, but it was really fun watching them enjoy themselves.
The location was stunning. The coral reef at the beach was easily accessable via the floating jetty, and the snorkling was amazing. There were few people and many colorful fish. We did not go scuba diving or take any other trips so I can't speak for the ease of arranging excursions.
I like best: the coral reef at the beach. The water is very clear. No need to take a boat trip, although there are no large pelagics at the reef, and you may see some at Ras Mohammed.
I like least: the cost of a bottle of water: LE22. The concierge suggested we take the shuttle to town and buy several bottles, they are LE4 in town.
The town of Sharm El Sheikh is gaudy and had no redeaming features at all. The resort is all you need.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greykitty012
Newcastle
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We paid to upgrade to this hotel after three days in a dreadful one. It was well worth the extra money. The room was spacious and clean, made up every day and bed turned down every night. A great selection of pools to choose from with pool butlers who are very attentive and friendly. We booked half board which included a fabulous buffet breakfast which had so much to choose from, we also tried all of the different restaurants on an evening and found them all good. The souk style restaurant is the most fun and in the thai restaurant the portions are huge... The beach is nice and although there isnt alot of sandy areas in the sea the coral has the most amazing fish to watch so remember to pack your snorkel... Would highly reccommend this hotel for its great service and beautiful surroundings

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LadyPhilli
Kent
Reviewed June 23, 2009

My holiday at the Hyatt was very good. The hotel is beautiful. Check in was quick and easy, you are then taken to your room by golf buggy, as the grounds are huge!
The rooms are nice, (I must admit though I stayed at the Ritz Carlton once and the rooms there are better than the Hyatt although the hotel overall is better than the Ritz) very large and spacious with a good size bathroom with separate shower and bath. The bed was also very comfortable.

The food at the hotel was great. There was so much to choose from at breakfast and it was very fresh. The beach bar and cascades bar were great for lunch aswell, both having different menus. We only ate at the souk in the evening as we were B&B and tended to go out for dinner, but the souk was very good. It’s a bit of a novelty, you are given a bag of coins, which are worth 10 or 50 Egyptian pounds, you then go to a cooking station and select what you what, hand over the correct amount of coins and then they cook your dinner. There is a choice of Italian, Chinese, fish and Egyptian. There is also a dessert station which is the best bit about it, the desserts are amazing. You have to try the souk just for those!!

The hotel is on the more expensive side but it all depends on what you have. Alcohol is especially expensive but I found the food to be similar to London prices, which is expensive for Egypt really. For lunch you can expect to pay around £10-£12 at the beach bar or cascades bar and the souk restaurant could be anywhere between £20-£50 depending on what you had. One night I had spaghetti bolognase which was around £9, but with drinks included and desserts, it does push the total price up.
Eating out in Namma Bay is a lot cheaper and there are some lovely restaurants, but if you have never been there before, I will warn you, it can be a bit of a circus. You do get a lot of hassle from locals trying to get you in there shops and restaurants. Some will accept a no thank you, but others can make out that you have offended them by refusing their offer. I think this is just another tactic to get you into their shops. The worst place is where the taxis drop you off. There will lots of locals waiting there to sweet talk you and then escort you to their shop, making out they want you to sign a good luck message in their book, but what they really want to do is get you in their shop and persuade you to buy something. Its an experience but becomes very annoying after a few nights.

A few places I found very good for food were the Italian restaurant at the Marriott Hotel. This is located along the promenade that leads into Naama Bay, and also the Dananeer and Little Bhudda, both based in Naama Bay.

There are three great pools at the hotel, one being a lazy river with waterfalls and tunnels. The beach is great and very clean. If you like to snorkel you will see a lot off the hotels reef. You can enter the sea by the floating jetty or from a sectioned area from the beach. Here the reef is quite shallow for a while and its nice to float around here watching the fish. I did find the reef to be suffering though. A lot of the corals are dying off and broken down, probably due to the amount of people ignoring the signs and standing on them!! Despite the hotel staff desperately trying to warn people not to stand on the corals or touch them, plenty of people still do!! I have been to Sharm 3 times now and have seen better reefs at other hotels. Saying that though, there is still plenty to see at the Hyatts reef. We saw many fish, eels, stingrays and even an octopus one day. I would recommend doing a boat trip to either Ras Mohammed or Tiran Island. Here there is no civilisation so the reefs are in excellent condition. Both places are great for a snorkel trip.

Overall though the hotel is excellent and I would definatley stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank swall123
Midlands
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Cannot say much other than I loved it. Brother in law went in the autumn - the same story. Great hotel _ i would recommend - esp. The garden just off the beach, great for snorkelling!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Chelmsford
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We have recently come back from a two week stay at the Hyatt in Sharm during May/June 2009. This was actually our honeymoon, so were hoping for great things from the hotel, and we were not disappointed. Being a special occasion, we paid extra for a Regency Club room (more on this later).

The hotel is located around 1mile from Narma Bay, in enough seclusion not to be caught up in the hustle and general tackiness that is Narma Bay. The location is stunning, as far as I could tell all the rooms over look the Red Sea along with pretty much all the main hotel areas – in fact its difficult not to have a great view in this hotel.

As you would expect from a 5 star hotel, the place is spotlessly clean. In fact, there appears to be a cleaner on duty from 9-6 cleaning rooms over and over- every time we left our room, we found it tidied again upon our return. All the staff we friendly and polite, and were always willing to help and go the extra mile. For example, I asked on reception where I could get some insect bite cream from. 5 minutes later an out of breath man appeared with a tube from the local pharmacy! Unlike other Egyptian hotels we have visited the staff do not ogle at every female guest as if they have never seen a woman before.

The hotel has 3 main pools and a private Regency Club pool – all were spotlessly clean, although the largest pool seemed a little crowded at times. There a number of restaurants offering a variety of excellent food. The hotel guests are made up of mainly British and Russians with some Germans and Americans. Without coming across as a snob, because this is a fairly expensive hotel it does not attract the riff raff you tend to get at cheaper resort hotels. All the pools have a “Pool Butler” and a small book collection (presumably left by previous guests), so we always managed to find something to read. The hotel also has a gym and a “kids” club, but not feeling like exercising in 40 deg heat and not having children or being a child myself I cannot comment on the quality of either.

There is a lovely private beach, with excellent snorkelling potential. A “Beach Butler” is on hand also. My only small complaint with the beach was the number of pleasure boats dropping anchor nearby for tourists to go snorkelling, diving and swimming. There was also the occasionally “party boat”, which appeared to be full of middle aged women listing to Abba and shouting. The snorkelling/diving is so good on the beach that it’s probably not worth paying for a trip – we did and one of the drop off points was actually about ¼ mile from our own beach! There is a hotel water sports/dive centre located on the beach also.

Room: We had a Regency Club room – whether the actual room is bigger/better than a standard room I do not know. However, it was situated a stone’s throw from the beach, overlooking the Red Sea. This is great for the view, but has the slight disadvantage of being the furthest away from the main reception and restaurants. Not a big issue, but it’s a big hotel, set on a hillside, so worth considering if you are lazy/old. The room itself was a good size, well decorated, and had a nice bathroom with walk-in shower and separate bath. The bath however was too small for anyone over the age of 10 to fit in. I am hardly fat, but I honestly could not get in it, both width or lengthwise. Every amenity you would expect from a 5 star hotel was present in the room – hair dryer, private bar, a decent size bed, internet connection (for around £15 per day) and a 32” LCD TV with a pretty decent channel selection. The balcony had a table, two chairs and a sun-lounger. There was also a pretty good room service menu, which did not appear to charge a premium over the restaurant prices, or charge a delivery charge.

Food and Drinks: This is a 5 star hotel and as you would expect the food and drink prices are…. 5 star hotel prices. I travel a lot with work and stay in nice hotels a lot, so knew largely what to expect – although after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor I was expecting to have to apply for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after my holiday! The prices were no where near as bad as I was expecting. Yes, if you eat in the al la carte restaurants you are looking at paying around £30-50 per head, plus drinks, but from experience that’s about what I always pay in similar hotels. However, if you stick to the excellent Souk restaurant, which is a large outdoor eating area where the food is cooked freshly in front of you or opt for the evening buffet then expect to pay £15-30 per head, plus drinks – hardly extortionate. That said, you can eat in Narma Bay for half that, but that place just did my head in!

Breakfast was excellent. Pretty much every base was covered – English, Continental, waffles, omelettes, pancakes, cereals, fruit etc. The quality was good, although it’s quite busy in the morning, and not the most relaxed environment!

Drink prices varied somewhat. Local beer or Heineken was around £3.75, local spirits were around the same per drink with imported spirits being around twice as much. It’s probably best to avoid wines, however. Imported wine was obnoxiously expensive; around £70 for a bottle of French red, which would have cost £5 at home in Tesco, with a £25 bottle of Moet costing £400! (No – that wasn’t a typo!). Local wine costs around £6-7 per glass or £20 per bottle, but unless you like drinking battery acid, I would give it a miss at all costs! The local wine was bad, and not just in a way that £3 wine from Asda is bad, this stuff could strip the fur off a badger, I have never tasted a liquid this terrible in my life, and I once accidently drank petrol when I was a child.
My only complaint was the price of bottled water – around £2 for a half litre bottle, which I thought was unfair, as you have no choice. Well, you could try drinking the tap water, I guess, but I would expect you would be going home in a box if you did!

We paid extra for a Regency Club room. This cost us £28 per person per night, which did increase the cost of the holiday considerably over the 14 days. However, in my opinion it’s worth it. You really get treated like royalty! For our £28 per night, we got our own private pool and beach, with free soft drinks and water all day, the use of a lovely club house, evening free drinks between 5.30-7.30pm, which included imported beer, imported spirits, and (sadly) local wine. We also had evening canapés, which were delicious.There is also a wireless internet connection, but you need to have robbed a bank to be able to afford to use it. There is also the option to take breakfast there – but it’s only continental, cooked meats and fruits, although you do get much more attentive service than in the main restaurant, and it’s much more relaxed. I cannot recommend this upgrade enough; the service and attention from the staff are worth it alone.

Now the not so good stuff: Well, I am really splitting hairs here because there is very little wrong with this hotel – it’s excellent. The Entertainment is a little poor – the Souk restaurant has five live acts every night, which sounds great, and it is on the first night. However, by night two you realise that they have the same acts every night, but in a different order and hope that no one notices! On night one, we asked for a table near the stage but by the end of the first week we were asking for a table as far away as possible. By the end of the second week, I was tempted to ask for a table outside of the restaurant. I don’t like to think what I would have done has I stayed a third week! The rest of the evening entertainment takes place in the Stars Music Bar, which has a live singer. To give him his due, the guy tries hard, but put it this way, I cannot see him selling many CDs. I tried to escape him by sitting outside, but to my horror he had a portable microphone and only followed us. The daytime entertainment around the pool/beach is fairly minimal – there are a few activities, but none of it is in your face, which is a good thing. That said a bit of tasteful music around the pool wouldn’t go amiss.

There is seriously nothing else negative I can think to say about this place. I travel a lot with work and stay in a lot of 4/5 star hotels, but rarely am I as impressed as I was with the Hyatt.

In summary; it’s an expensive hotel to stay at (we paid half as much to stay at the very good 4 star Radisson a couple of years ago), but well worth the expense. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank StephenAndCatherine
cheshire
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This hotel is probably one of the top hotels in Egypt. It is out of the busy town of Naam Bay so ideal for couples as a romantic getaway. The rooms were very clean and modern, we had a lovely comfy king size bed. The hotel has five restaurants of which each one os very, very expensive!!! The drinks are again very very expensive, at £25 per shot of vodka i think that this holiday should be more for people of whom money is no object,...although it was for us so we spent approx £1k extra than expected just on food and drink and to be honest we didn't over indulge. Lovely hotel, would visit it again but perhaps when we have saved up for at least 10yrs!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple