“great hotel”

Ranked #59 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Melbourne, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked this last minute after looking at other reviews. Really close to airport so short transfer time, but far enough away not to hear the planes. This hotel is immaculate, all of the public areas , gardens, pool areas and beach are clean, tidy and well staffed. My room was spacious with everything I needed. The biggest asset here are the staff who go the extra mile to ensure your stay is great. Nothing is too much trouble. I got bitten and asked where I could get some cream for the bites and within the hour a member of staff had been and got me some and delivered it to me by the pool. Breakfast caters for most tastes and the choice of pastries is amazing. (Forget the diet) Loved the fact that they have an adult only pool, which was quiet and really relaxing. A great hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Mrs Donington

Thank you for staying with us. It is nice to read you enjoyed your stay, the facilities and services provided.

Indeed the location of our hotel is about a ten minutes drive from the airport, just before entering buzzing Namaa Bay.

We are fortunate to employ a great team of industry professionals and I m pleased to read the services were up to your expectations.
Ever since our new Executive Chef Hartmut has started to modify the spread of the breakfast buffet we continuously receive positive guest feed-back like yours, showing we are on the right track to maintain and to further improve our standards.

Last but not least our pools are designed to capture the different age groups including the adults only pool to ensure an undisturbed atmosphere for those clients seeking an area for themselves.

It would be a pleasure to welcoming you back to our resort in the not too far distant future and if we can be of any assistance in the meantime, please do contact us at your convenience.

Stefan Gaessler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uitgeest, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We wanted to have a winter break in Europe and did book this hotel based on Trip advisors recommendations and Hyatt website.From the moment we were collected at the airport till we were dropped at the airport a week later this was the ultimate hotel.The room we had was a copy of the photos.PERFECT.All clean super towels ,a great kids club but above all ...heated swimming pools in this "winter"period.Lots of pools also for young kids.The breakfast was outstanding and the restaurants near the beach and the pools know exact how to spoil all.From all sides you feel this hotel is under perfect management.No signs from a lack of maintenance.All staff did its upmost to spoil the guests.Really a DIAMOND in the dessert.

Room Tip: spend a few dollars more for the club of the Hyatt and you get better rooms and additional excellent...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LPRUST
Dear Mr Prust

Thank you very much for staying with us and your nice feed-back.

Indeed our kids club I would say is one the best for children, offering a variety of activities including the pool area which is heated with 28 degrees during the winter months as are the other main pools.

Credit to our new Executive Chef Hartmut, who has already implemented a variety of further upgrades and changes and more to come.

Needless to add it would be a pleasure to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future or to be of any other assistance which you may require.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just arrived home from another great trip to Hyatt Sharm (3rd time) stayed in Regency Club suite, if you can afford it the extra cost is well worth it. Service from staff again fantastic, they make you feel relaxed an nothing is too much trouble. All staff are great but special mention to Mohammed in club house and on private beach. Only downside for me personally is the pesky mossies, I'm a magnet but staff and hotel did everything possible to help with room plugs and sprays etc. Without a doubt we will return. For anyone reading this concerned about the problems in Egypt, don't worry about going to Sharm, it's many hours by car away from the trouble and is only a holiday resort so those there are there to spoil you...and they do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1957gary293
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Mr Gary

Thank you very much for your repeat visit.

Indeed our Regency Club is a hotel within the hotel and we are very pleased to receive positive comments on the personal and attentive service of our staff. In addition to the private Regency Pool and Regency Beach, which ensures privacy and exclusivity to our discerning guests.

I agree the mosquitoes can be a plague and it seems some guests "attract" them more than others. We do fumigate the property early morning and again early evening, but it remains a challenge to completely eradicate them, which unfortunately is a common challenge in and around Sharm El Sheikh. It is advisable to either bring repellent from home or you also buy a good product here on site in any of the shops.

Sadly enough ongoing events in Cairo have affected to a certain extent the reputation of Sharm El Sheikh, yet to date the destination has been trouble free and not affected at all. I always recommend clients to either check official websites and / or to contact us directly prior to making their travel plans.
Last but not least, should it be the case that one would change or cancel his travel plans, we would not hesitate to void any cancellation charges.

It would be a pleasure to welcoming you back for a fourth time any time soon and if we can be of any assistance in the meantime, please contact us at your convenience.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had a reservation for two rooms for 3 nights each during January 2013. I can’t ask for more. The rooms were spacious and the partial sea view is actually a full window on the sea. The stuff were so helpful and friendly. The main restaurant open buffet was fantastic on the breakfast and dinner. I enjoyed my stay so much and I wish I could stay for more days. I even used their medical service as my son got sick during our stay and they made me feel like I have a personal doctor. Thanks a lot all who give me this superb service!
This hotel will be my first choice when visiting Sharm El Sheikh again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank E H
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Hyatt Guest

Thank you for staying with us and for your feed-back. Great to read that the arrangements were up to your satisfaction and you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I would hope your son has fully recovered, whilst I m glad to read that our doctor could be of immediate and professional assistance. Indeed we are fortunate to have two resident doctors who are on call 24 hours for whatever medical assistance needed.

It would be a pleasure to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future, please contact us at your convenience if we ever can be of assistance in the meantime.

Southborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you are located in Europe, this is a great place to go to enjoy some warm weather in the middle of winter but avoid the long plane ride that you need to get to other tropical destinations (Maldives, Saychelles or Maritius).

The resort has a shuttle or you can ask them to arrange a car to pick you up at the airport. The cost of the private car pick up is quite reasonable (approx. 20 Euro). I felt bad because I did not have any Egyptian pounds with me to tip the driver when we arrived. But I think he'll survive.

The hotel is quite impressive upon arrival. Check in was very swift. We arrived in the early evening on a Sunday and there were only a couple people checking in at that time. I had requested a Sea View room and I did get that. I don't know if it's only certain times of year - but I had heard horror stories about bug bites if you were on the ground floors. So I was glad to be on the 2nd floor and we had nothing to block our view of the Red Sea. The temps were in the low 80s all 5 days we were there. Someone drove us over to our room in a golf cart - showing us some of the places that we might need to know about.

We ate at all 5 restaurants. We had fun at the Souk restaurant. I had some duck at the "Snack" restaurant and I also had some shrimp from the fish monger (he overcooked the shrimp a bit but it was not in-edible.) I loved the olive dip that they served as we sat down with some pita bread. It was hard to get the waiters attention to get refills on the drinks. But the manager saw that I was looking around and he came over and took care of things. Some people might be confused by the Souk system but it seemed easy enough. The entertainment was fun. A lot of "spinning" between the fire guy and the dancer. The belly dancer was good too but it went on a little too long for my taste...I'm sure the men didn't mind it though. She was pretty.

The other restaurants were also good. My son loved the Thai restaurant. A lot of variety and spice. We went to the buffet when it was Italian night. That was my least favorite meal - it was typical buffet faire. My other favorite meal was at Cascades. A delicious meal. We ate lunch at both Cascades and The Beach Restaurant. We liked our meals at all the places. And other people have mentioned that the Beach restaurant was not that great but we really liked it. I had fish or salad, my son had a burger or panini. The waiter was really funny and friendly. And that was the case with all the waiters throughout the hotel. Everyone was super friendly.

The pools were great. Nice poolside service if you wanted it and they weren't pesty if you didn't want the service. I felt totally relaxed and didn't feel stressed about the workers bugging me, because they didn't.

The stores at the hotel were okay. They had what we needed (snacks, sarongs, flip flops, batteries, sun lotion, etc). They had a ATM machine which I used a lot to exchange my Euros. My bankcard did not work in it so I was very glad that I had Euros with me to exchange because I used the cash at the little shops although they did take credit card. I bought a small hanging rug from the "rug guy". He only took cash. He had a large variety of things to choose from. Both hand made and machine made, large and small. So if you didn't want to spend a lot but you wanted a small little loomed piece to bring home for a souvenir, you can get something for a very low price. The only store owner that was a bit of a bother was the guy who sold perfume. He was more like the shop owners you might come across in Old Town. Wants you to come into his store, try the perfumes, takes your picture with your camera, tells you to come back to buy something. Made me feel a little uncomfortable. Glad I didn't go to Old Town....would have been not fun for me! Too much pressure!

There were excursions that you could go on with the hotel but since I am an American and traveling alone with just my teenage son I felt a bit uncomfortable going on the excursions. My husband wasn't too thrilled with the idea that I chose to go to such a volatile country for a vacation so I promised him that I would just stay on the resort. It was fine. We just relaxed at the pool and the beach.

Speaking of the beach, the sand is a lot different than those other tropical destinations that I mentioned above. My son was convinced that if you dug a whole in the sand you'd find a concrete base. He might be right! But it was still great to relax on the beach, get some sun, and we rented snorkeling equipment and tried snorkeling for the very first time. It was a great experience. Will definitely go snorkeling again! We were both surprised at how many fish we saw! It was a popular cove for dive tour boats to stop for the whole day. It made for a lot of activity to watch while you were on the beach.

The gym is pretty decent. I used it every morning. I don't think the spa part of the gym is used very often. I never saw anyone getting any massages. The gym could have used a fan or something to move the air around more. The fans on the treadmills were not very good so you really needed something better.

I think it would be a smart move for the hotel to move the beauty salon to a place in the main part of the hotel. It was so far out of the way that you could hardly find it - in fact I never did. I think if it was in a higher traffic area they would be able to get a lot of customers doing manicures and pedicures. I know I would have considered it.

The only problem we encountered was that our minibar didn't get refilled every day. And they really should spring for the automatic minibars that add things up automatically - instead of their antiquated counting system everyday. With ours not getting refilled every day - I was afraid they would think that we were taking 2 sodas every day when it was the same two sodas from the first day. but they did only charge us for the 2 sodas but you can see how it could go awry.

As soon as the sun goes down - close your patio doors. My son did get bit up. All together he got about 100 bugbites on his legs and arms. I got none but they never bother me. So bring bug spray but you can also buy it in the little convenience store. Highly recommend the bug spray.

Room Tip: don't take a room on the ground floor. flys and mosquitos might be worse from what I hear.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Cindy R
Dear Mrs Cindy,

Thank you for staying with us and your extensive feed-back which surely will assist other potential guests, but also us here on a hotel level to maintain and to improve our standards.

It is very nice to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us and services provided, indeed one of the great benefits of Sharm El Sheikh in general is the 4-5 hour plane ride from Europe, even though mainly through the charter companies but also with some scheduled flights.

Mosquitos can be a plague at times and we are fumigating the property in the early morning and early evening hours, the additional usage of repellent certainly will help.

Glad you enjoyed the F&B arrangements including the Soukh, which follows the concept or an Arabic market place, using oversize coins as a sort of payment at the counters. I agree with you the belly dancer might be not everyone's favorite, and we are trying to change the entertainment frequently to avoid the repeat effect as much as possible.

The Sala Thai is our signature restaurant with Chef Awon and her team mastering the woks to perfection, the restaurant I can proudly say has become one of the preferred dining options in Sharm.

My apologies if the perfume shop keeper was "too eager" promoting and selling his products, I will most certainly have a word with him, we indeed do not want our guests to be intimidated.

With regard to general safety and security, I may assure that Sharm El Sheikh has yet to date been unaffected by the demonstrations and events in and around Cairo, even though concerns of visitors and travelers are understandable.

Thank you for your comment with regard to the beauty shop, which actually had been previously in an area near the gym, we might have to look at additional signage to better promote the new venue.

My apologies for the lack of service with your mini bar which should not have occurred and the daily refill should have been handled.

Dear Mrs Cindy, once again, thank you for your feed-back and looking forward to eventually welcoming you back to our resort in the future.

Merseyside
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Feb 2013
Just spent a blissful week at the Hyatt Regency with good friends and family. Our 5th year at this lovely hotel. We cannot praise it too much for cleanliness, attentive always cheerful staff,excellent room service, beautiful gardens. We ate in the Thai and Cascades restaurant excellent food and service. The new head chef has made real improvements. Keen divers and snorkelers will love the walk into the coral hundreds of beautiful fish. Bedrooms are a little dated but roomy with beautiful views. Back next year.
Linda Wirral

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Ms Wirral,

Thank you very much for your repeat visits to our hotel, year after year, which we very much appreciate.

I am very pleased to read that again you enjoyed our hotel, facilities and services provided. Indeed our Thai Restaurant with Chef Awon and her team are doing a great job delivering consistency in terms of food and service, the restaurant surely has become one of the preferred dining venues in and around Sharm El Sheikh.

Indeed our new Executive Chef Hartmut, previously at the Park Hyatt Canberra in Australia, has made some notable changes and be assured there is more to come over the next months.

Our house reef truly is one of the best areas for diving and snorkeling, and always welcome for stop for passing by boats for quick dive.

Be assured we are continuously working on soft refurbishments of our facilities with regard to upgrades and improvements, yet thank you for your comment, which will encourage us to continue even in these difficult times.

We hope to welcome you on many more occasions to our resort and if ever we can be of any assistance please do contact us at your convenience.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very beautiful hotel & well maintained. But staff are very slow in front office, except Mr. Peter. It takes too long to receive an answer or response from them to our simple requests. They always ask us to wait for 5 minutes but it turns to 30 or 40 minutes to respond. In general hotel staff in restaurants and pool attendants are speaking loudly together. This gives an unprofessional feeling for a Hyatt Regency hotel. Breakfast variety is ok but food quality is poor. Also breakfast buffet has lots of dust. Hygiene obvious problem. Spa is excellent.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for staying with us and you valuable feed-back which will contribute to maintain and to improve our standards.

I truly regret if the service of our associates was not fast enough and not to your expectation, I agree with you that service delivery should be ensured within given time limits.

I would very much like to get your further feed-back with regard to the food quality of the breakfast buffet, in particular since we pride ourselves to use high quality products and ingredients.

I can assure you of our high hygiene standards and being one of the very few hotels in Egypt currently being certified by an external independent consulting company from Germany on ISO 22000 standards in our kitchens and restaurants. I will certainly have a look with our hygiene manager with regard to your comment on the dust on the buffet. It could well be related to the recent sanding of the wooden parquet floor overnight, which might have left some traces of dust, either way, thank you for your comment.

I would hope that overall you did enjoy your stay with us and we would look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.