“Fantastic Friendly Hotel”

Ranked #100 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London
“Fantastic Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I returned 2 days ago from the Beach Albatros. We were only there for a week due to work commitments but would have loved to have stayed longer. I booked this hotel on the strength of reviews on Trip Adviser and was not disappointed. The hotel has won the Sharm el Sheik hotel of the year 2012 from trip adviser and proudly has the well deserved certificate on show in reception!

As I had read many reviews on here I was aware that the frontage of the hotel and the foyer were not on a scale as grand as some may be in the area however that isnt important to us. What did impress me was the welcome we were given as soon as our taxi arrived outside the hotel and the professional service we were greeted with by the reception staff. Check in only took a few minutes and we were then on our way to our room, being shown the way by a very helpful porter who also transported our luggage for us. It was dark when we arrived, however from what we saw initially as we made our way to our room we knew we had made the right choice in booking the Beach Albatros.
We had been given room 7019, facing the relaxation pool and in close proximity to the ClubHouse Bar and the Seaview Restaurant, with a fantastice view of the sea to the left. Our room was huge and had 3 large beds as well as a large sofa and a safe for which there was no charge. Apparently not all rooms have safes but there are safety deposit boxes you can use at reception. The room had plenty of wardrobe and cupboard space which was more than enough for the 2 of us! We had a large bathroom with a shower and fresh towels were provided daily by Mahmoud who looked after our housekeeping needs to a very high standard and exchanged our beach towels every day for fresh ones. There was also a fridge, with a freezer compartment if you wanted to make ice cubes. Mahmoud left us 2 bottles every day but if that isnt enough you can just ask at any of the bars and you will be given more. It was very hot so we did find ourselves drinking plenty of water during our stay, as well as a fair amount of alcohol! The air con in our room worked perfectly and kept us cool during our stay. We have no issues whatsoever with our room, which also had a large terrace with a table and 3 chairs, where we would sit as the day began or to watch the sunset. Any time we would sit on the terrace we would see either Mahmoud cleaning or the gardener working on the gardens near our room.... staff never stop working at this hotel and it is spotlessly clean.

We didnt have a problem finding sunbeds free around the pools, and even when we went to the beach in the afternoon for a swim but the hotel didnt appear to be running at full capacity when we were there so it may be more difficult during peak times, however there are plenty of other seating areas scattered around the hotel gardens so it shouldnt be too much of a problem to find somewhere to sit and enjoy the sun. The guys in the Club House Bar were great.....always friendly, smiling and chatting to us and bringing us drinks without even being asked! I dont believe the review I read on here by someone accusing staff in the Club House of being rude and abusive to her, in fact it made me really angry when I read what she had said as these guys are so polite, friendly and helpful, as are all the staff at the Beach Albatross.

The beach is great with plenty of sunbeds and the sea was warmer than the pools. The lift was busy at certain times of the day but it wasnt a huge problem and there are always the stairs, all 150+ of them! And I did even climb up them one afternoon just to prove to myself that I could! We ate at the beach bar one lunch time and had freshly cooked pizza with some salad.....it was great. There are a few shops on the beach and we got to know a couple of the shop keepers well, who were helpful and also very friendly. They dont hassle you and they give you a good price.

There are 2 main restaurants to chose from for your meals but we just used the Sea View. The views of the bay are astounding whether you sit inside or out. We have no complaints with the food at all so ignore any negative comments from others concerning this. Huge variety at breakfast so something for everyone. Lunch and dinner also plenty of choice with a different theme each day. There was a chef barbequeing meat or fish outside most nights, I even tried quail for the first time! He also did the best BBQ chicken I have ever tasted. There is a bread and pizza oven next to the BBQ where bread is cooked daily and tastes delicious. Inside the restaurant chefs cook fresh meat/ fish/homemade burgers/omlettes/pancakes etc every day. There is a diet corner, a childrens corners, salad bar, chilli corner, pasta station as well as a variety of other meat dishes, vegetables and fish. Plenty of choice for desserts with lovely cakes, pastries and fresh fruit. Food was always hot and plentiful and the place was very clean.
Special thanks to Ebraham for looking after us so well all week, he is such a lovely guy and couldnt do enough for us....I wasnt even allowed to carry my own cup of coffee outside to the terrace! At breakfast our coffee and juice was on the table as we arrived, as was our wine at lunch and dinner. My husband and I feel that as the week went on Ebraham became more than a waiter, he became our friend and it was such a wrench when we had to say good bye on our last day......we miss you already!
I do however, have to praise all the staff in the Sea View Restaurant who under the care and supervision of manager Anwar are a credit to the hotel. Anwar is a fantastic manager and chats to every single person at every meal time. He clears tables and brings drinks to you along with the rest of staff. In my book a good manager is someone who wont ask his staff to do anything he wouldnt do.....and that describes Anwar exactly! Also a special mention for chef Mustafa.....he was always smiling and always had time for a quick chat no matter how busy he was....he even made sure he came to find us to say goodbye on our last day!

We were told that the Beach Albatros was the old oldest hotel in Sharm, it is also fairly small with only around 250 rooms however it has been designed to make great use of the space it has available and one thing I loved were all the various different seating places around the grounds, where you could sit and relax with a drink and look at the stunning views. The gardens were immaculate and there is even a small aviary and a what looked like a dovecote. All these other little details contribute to the ambiance and atmosphere of the place.

I cant comment really on the entertainment as we only sat at the Veranda Bar one night, prefering the Club House and its crazy barman! But there appeared to be alot going on every night starting with a childrens disco. We also went into Naama bay one evening and thoroughly enjoyed the whole atmosphere there, not getting back until after 2 am and then being welcomed back by the night barman as we crept back past the Club House bar!

Some people have mentioned the noise from the disco across the bay. Yes it did disturb me one night and we could also hear it for an entire afternoon, however as it has nothing to do with the hotel then it really isnt fair to make negative comments on here regarding it as it is not the fault of the hotel. Also to those who moan about the sound of the mosques and the calling to prayer by the imans.....this is a Moslim country so have some respect for their culture and customs....if you dont like it then go eleswhere!

I only have one negative point to make and that is that it would be nice to have free wifi in all areas but perhaps this isnt possible. It is only a minor gripe and certainly would not put me off returning here.

This has been quite a long review and Im sure I could say much more but I will finish up by saying that the Beach Albatros is a fantastic hotel, in a prime location which offers great service in a friendly, family type atmosphere and I can understand why people keep returning. We dont usually return to the same hotel no matter how good it is as we like to try out different places each time we go on holiday however I can honestly say that we will be returning to the Beach Albatros in the future....hopefully next year. I cant praise the staff enough and having visited Egypt several times now, although this was the first time in Sharm, we have fallen in love with the country and its people.

Room Tip: Rooms around 7012 - 7020 appear to be the best but if you are not happy with your room I believe tha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pippa_60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel does not look great from the ourside, but it is fantastic. Service is lovely, and the apartment we got was lovely. Plenty of alcohol, and a relaxing cliff top bar that looks over Nama bay. Excellent snorkelling evryday. Downside was the food- plentiful and well done, but completely catering to russian tastes. The Russian visitors are very culturally different, and to our English sensibilities appeared a bit boisterous- but other than that cannot fault anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tigerdave79
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived at the Beach Albatross on the 18/10/12 we stayed in room 1110 in the main building the room was a good size with a good sized balcony. The staff from the cleaners to the manager could not do enough for us. They were very friendly and helpful in every way. The food was good with a different theme every night. The beach was great with plenty of sunbeds and a beach bar serving delicious pizza and chips. There was no long Jetty as the sea is accessible from the beach. We spent most of our time round the activity pool, where the pool cleaner put our towels out for us every morning and the barman fetched us drinks at regular intervals. As we were on a teatime flight back we where offered the use of the fitness room shower to freshen up before we left so did not have to keep the room on. I would not hesitate to use this hotel again as we had a most enjoyable time thank you for everything Beach Albatross we will be back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Eunice46
cambridge
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Spent 2 weeks at Beach Albatros from 04/10 - 18/10 having changed from AA Amwaj due to poor reviews.
Hotel looks very shabby from the outside, but is very pretty on the inside. Stayed in room 6014 near the tennis courts with a sea view. Room very small with twin beds and an average shower room, but kept clean by the male cleaners. Very close to the mosque - say goodbye to sleeping all night, and on a friday got the entire service on loudspeaker at lunchtime, great.
The restaurants are spacious and never an issue getting a table. Breakfast menu very good, plenty of choice, freshly cooked omelettes, fried eggs and pancakes. The egyptian bread cooked at the enterence is beautiful, had it every morning with my fried eggs. The menu at lunchtime was boring, but ate at the beach every day with pizza and chips. The evening food was ok as long as you didnt wait til late when the food was luke warm - not something I want. Late dinner was not something you wanted, food nearly cold and couldnt get pasta or pizza to order (the only way to get hot food). 3 out of the 4 of us got bad tummies and was quite painful. My husband didnt get better til we got home.
The beach was lovely, really nice to get straight into the water without walking up a jetty, lots of fish to see. Sunbeds very poor, many broken with dirty padding, and if you wanted to get a bed had to be down there by 8 otherwise you had to find beds and move them. Beach restaurant good for pizza and a drink.
We spent most of out time around the activity pool, and the barman was the best ever - reserved our beds and bought us drinks, polite and friendly and always happy to play table tennis (he was good). The pools filter system did not appear to be working, but was manually cleaned by the pool guy so was never dirty. Not sure why it is called the activity pool, apart from last few days no one from the animation team came around, so it was very peaceful.
The club house is a joke, and I can understand why it is always empty - one night there were 4 of us, and 4 staff who couldnt get off their backside to pour a drink. I didnt want breakfast one morning so just went there for a cup of tea, the milk sat on the side and I asked if it had come out of fridge - the guy went crazy, screaming at me about calling the police and everything was clean - not what I asked! What an knob - not what I want or expect on a holiday when I politely ask for something to not make me ill like the other 3. His supervisor went to speak to him and came out saying everything in the hotel was clean - obvously didnt listen to what I said. This attitude unfortunately taints how you feel about a holiday.
The whole area is clean and very well kept, gardens lovely, and apart from club house staff, very friendly.
I think this could be a lovely hotel, but I would prefer a hotel that has mixed countries, where this is mainly Russian (99% very well behaved and friendly, not pushy) and is focused towards them. The animation team was poor and just ran around after them, you have to look after everyone equally.
Would I return - no I can think of places I would rather go before going back to Egypt - this was our third time, but fed up with being sick when there. Not the sun - we have travelled all over the world and not had this problem, was it the alcohol - no we drink world wide and never had that problem, was it the hotel - no we have been sick at all 3 hotels. Egypt not for me anymore, would rather stay at home and be well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sally_hornsby
lancashire
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Got back on the 14th october & can say in all honesty both my partner & myself loved it so much so that we have booked to go back march 23rd 2013.....the thing that we loved the most was the beach, ive been to sharm 8 times but el maya bay is the best beach ive ever been on there, no long jetty to get to snorkel just straight of beach & the under water world is right there. We had a fantastic room 7011 with a gorgeous sea view & very near to restaurant, loved sitting on terrace at night, really peaceful, hope we get the same room next year........beach bar does fab pizzas 7staff really good, basically a good clean hotel with everything to hand........book it now......thanks beach albatross & see you next march.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alison053
Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 15th September for two weeks (I, my husband, my daughter and her husband and our granddaughter Chloe).

We had a fabulous holiday. I changed our hotel two weeks before we went and I am so pleased I did. We had rooms 6006 & 6007 (near the tennis courts) perfect for our family with lovely sea views. Yes, the rooms are dated but ours was kept spotlessly clean and we weren't troubled by any noise. We did have a problem with ants in the bathroom but the hotel were spot on in dealing with them.

The Animation Team (Mo, Julie, Tarzan, Ida & Lilly) worked so hard with both the children and the adults and put on entertainment every evening; they were especially good with Chloe. They really made our holiday.

NB: Julie & Mo we are all loving the CD ha-ha…thank you.

The food was fantastic, a wide variety, not too repetitive. Chloe took a particular liking to one of the waiters (Zaki) he was fantastic. The restaurant was always spotlessly clean.

The hotel grounds were always very well maintained, being cleaned down daily and gardens kept beautifully.

We would like to say a big THANK YOU to Kareem the lifeguard and Ahmed the barman at the pool bar. Our towels were supplied clean and fresh on a daily basis and placed on our chosen sunbeds and drinks were supplied all day, what more could you want.

We went for five massages at the Spa on the beach during our stay…ohhhh heaven.

All the staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us.

All in all, we had a fabulous holiday.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one near the tennis courts ;-)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nunnstars
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 7 days at the beginning of October. We stayed in room 6007 by the tennis courts. Room was very big and was always cleaned to a high standard! The view from our room was amazing! The food wasn't great but enjoyed the freshly made omelettes pizza and pasta. Entertainment in evenings was shocking but it didn't really bother us. The staff were just amazing! Did everything for you! We did the glass bottom boat and quad bike excursions which were sold to us by Deano down the beach. Overall we had a great time x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple