“awfull the worst 2 weeks ever”

and 1 more site!
Tropicana Rosetta & Jasmine Club
Ranked #142 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
sheffield
Reviewed November 26, 2008

hotel and staff clean and friendly trouble was the food same menu every meal time for the two weeks we stayed there lived on boiled eggs for breakfast rice and some kind of stew for evening meal both my wife and myself had the runs which needed treatment from chemist on returning to uk wife was rushed to hospital in an emergancy she lost all her memory for four days which was very upsetting for all the family what few bars there were tried to rip you off no entertainment in hotel only belly dancing which you had to pay for this is the worst hotel we have stayed in in forty years so would advice you not to use this hotel

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank brownySheffield
Oxfordshire
Reviewed November 24, 2008

We actually stayed in the Jasmin part of the hotel as we were so called "All Inclusive". The first room we were put in was a dump with two single beds. The door had been kicked in and really badly repaired. The hair dryer didn't work so my girlfriend wasn't happy. We were moved to the block known as 24........This was much nicer and very clean......apart from the jumping spider i found in our bed! If we were given this room in the first place, I might not have taken such a dim view. The all inclusive bit is where it goes really bad though. The pool bar only cooks at 10am-ish then again at 4:30. All the snacks go straight away and the service is terrible. The bar staff and cooks spend most of their time messing around, they only work for tips so if you don't tip them they don't give you service. i find that funny as i've already paid the company that pays their wages and no i don't care that they're poor as they do no work so why should they get paid a massive amount? There is also only one bar to use in reception for all inclusive. You feel like your in a reception (because you are) we didn't even have a drink in there. The food is crap....I've been ill for three days now. Two of those days were spent in my hotel room so it really ruined my holiday. I didn't like the place......The locals are constantly bugging you and all the taxi drivers try to rip you off to the point that i nearly whacked one of them. We've been on loads of all inclusive holidays and this was the worst. We tried it because of the price but we spent more than we would have in the nicer places because of the annoying locals and hidden costs. Save your money or go to the Bahamas. Nicer place, Nicer people and far better service. It'll cost a little more but by the time the locals have robbed you blind you spend the same. If you do try this hotel, ask to be put in block 24 and don't bother to eat there. if you don't have a transfer from the airport then use the blue and white taxi's. They will try it on for around 50 USD but we got one for 10. The hotel booked our taxi back to the airport..... He tried to charge us 160 Egyptian pounds (around £20) when i had already said to him that we'd pay no more than 25 Egyptian pounds. He said the reason it was so high is because it was the Rosetta Limo.....it was a normal car with a broken bumper. At that point i lost it and we didn't pay the rate he was trying it on for. just make sure you agree a price before you get in the taxi, if they say no then walk away and they soon come running. I'd also like to point out that i may sound tight here but the airport is 5 mins from the hotel and it cost's less than £5 to fill the car with fuel. If i were you, don't avoid the hotel, avoid sharm all together. It was full of russians but i found them nice enough so don't let that put you off......just let the rest of what i've said put you off! Oh yeah, because your so close to the airport you get to listen to the relaxing sound of jumbo jets constantly going over head to land. the soothing sound goes on all through night so you'll never miss the gentle sound of a Jumbo coming into to land! god i hate that place!

• Liked — The room in block 24
  • Disliked — The service was the worst i've ever known
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAC80
UK
Reviewed November 14, 2008

After reading the reviews I was a bit worried about what the hotel would be like. However, when we arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby area is large and clean. We were checked in quickly and our bags taken to our room in the Jasmine part of the hotel. It's a 5 minute walk from the entrance, up quite a few ramps and steps which after a few days became a bit wearing.

The room was clean and in good condition apart from the bathroom was a bit tired - a bit of the tap came off in my hand! The cleaners did a good job of keeping the room clean. We left a small tip for them each day which no doubt helped a bit. The pool area was also clean, and there were no problems getting a sun lounger at any time of day.

Breakfast was good, there was plenty to choose from and always tables available. The hotel do like to politely hassle you about buying tickets for their Bedouin evening at breakfast - I'd rather be left alone while eating. Compared to the hassle you get walking toward Namma bay though it was nothing (the best tatic to deal with the spivs is to blank them, it felt rude but if you enter into conversation or even just say no thanks, many of them won't leave you alone).

Don't bother with the beach. It's a 15 minute walk away, dirty, cramped, there are almost no gaps between the shades so you won't get a tan, and you'll get asked every 10 minutes (honestly, I started to time it) if you want to buy a tattoo, massage, massage, tattoo, tattoo again, newspaper. There are a few fish here, but compared to the wonderful reefs at Sofitel, snorkelling is very poor. I ended up paying security guards at other hotels to let me use their much better beaches. I wasn't asked to buy anything at all on these. During my few hours at the beach the drain near where I was lying overflowed with foul smelling water which soaked my bag. Horrible.

To get into Namma bay and the beach, you have to cross a fairly busy main road, but this wasn't too much of a problem. I wouldn't like to try it if I had children or wasn't too fast on my feet though. When walking into Namma bay, don't follow the road or the directions given to you by the hotel. Instead walk through the gate at the Hilton after crossing the road. It looks like you shouldn't enter, but as the restaurants and bars there are open to the public, it's fine. The Pirates bar there is good for a beer and a snack and the flambe bar there does nice cocktails and has happy hours from noon.

All in all if I went back I'd pay more and stay at one of the better beach front hotels. The nicest looking ones were Sofitel, Hilton and Novotel. If you really can't afford these though, and prefer to spend your time round the pool than the beach, the Tropicana Rosetta clean, fairly central and the staff were friendly... and it's very cheap.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Beach
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank jimbob9999
england
Reviewed November 11, 2008

We found this hotel ideally located with a short and nice walk to the resort centre and the beach. The hotel room had all we needed, comfy beds, great power shower, tv. air con and wa skept very clean by the cleaners. The pool was lovely and clean and there was a great variety for breakfast. We did B&B so we ate out at different places at night which was great. I would recommend this hotel to family or friends, so dont listen to som eof the silly comments on here. Some people can not be pleased. Have fun! We did!

• Liked — All of it
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 27, 2008

it's really worth paying the extra and staying at the novotel or hilton if you're staying in na'ama bay as the tropicana is very disappointing;
- fewer safes than rooms - we had to carry everything round with us for the first 4 days
- pools are small with not enough loungers & the poolside food is limited and poor
- the private beach is small, ridiculously crammed full (the only place in egypt you won't be able to get into the sun not out of it), and about a 15 minute walk away (unless you walk down the duel carraigeway in which case its about 10)
- the staff were OK but persistant in pushing for tips.
- the hotel is on the duel carraigeway which the map fails to highlight!
- the room was basic - dark, 2 single beds pushed together, shabby bathroom with a shower curtain that served only to stick to you while the bathroom got soaked
I've been to Egypt 4 times so my experience isn't based on culture shock. one to avoid.

• Disliked — private beach
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple