“Fantastic Hotel, why is it only a 3*”

Tropicana Rosetta & Jasmine Club
Ranked #140 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Nottingham
“Fantastic Hotel, why is it only a 3*”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Having just returned from two weeks All Inclusive at the Tropicana Rosetta Jardin resort, we thought you would appreciate some feedback.
We can’t understand some of the negative comments about this hotel, we had thought they perhaps went to the wrong hotel, this is a 3* rated hotel, but we are not sure why, as the service and quality of accommodation was excellent, they have a staff group of approximately 180 personal ranging from gardeners, cleaners, kitchen staff, chefs and reception staff and should be rated as either a 4* or a potential 5* subject to a few bits of refurbishment.
We were fortunate enough to be delayed coming back because of the snow in the UK and were transferred to the Jaz Mirabel Beach Hotel for one night and whilst you can see why this was a 5* hotel, the facilities were excellent and the hotel was beautifully maintained, the service and food whilst good wasn’t a patch on our experience at the Tropicana, so if you want service over style then the Tropicana is for you and a lot less to pay.
Without exception, all the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and whilst small tips of a few Egyptian pounds (approx. 30p) go a long way to ensuring even more attentive service, it isn’t essential but please remember these people earn on average around £60 -£80 per month, probably as much as we would pay for a good meal for 2 at home, so you can see why tips are so important to them.
In regard to location, the hotel is situated on the main road, just across from the Hilton hotel and about 3 minutes from a public beach and about 10 minute walk to Naama Bay, where there is a huge range of bars, restaurants and shops.
The hotel is not really suitable for those with mobility issues, as there are lots of steep ramps and staircases across the site, as it is built on a slight incline.
The restaurant offers a comprehensive range of freshly cooked food suitable for even the most fussy eaters, with chefs on hand to cook omelettes, pasta and grilled dishes of the day, we would offer a special thanks to Waled – the restaurant manager, Mustafa – our waiter and the range of chefs who did everything possible to make sure that you made the most of your stay.
Some people in the reviews are critical that wine is only served by the glass not the bottle, but there is no limit to how many glasses you have, so what so the problem ?
The entertainment team do an excellent job in trying to get people to engage in the range of activities available and Jade should have special recognition for her hard work and the long hours that she puts in to ensure everybody, especially the children have a great time.
The pools all have towel stations and pool bars where you can get freshly cooked bar snacks, which whilst limited are always freshly prepared, again the service by all the staff was excellent.
The bedrooms were modern and spacious and ours opened directly onto the pool area, which was fantastic, the rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day, with towels changed daily and bedding changed every three days, although you can request the beds changed daily, but to protect the environment, they change them every three days as standard.
Most of the Egyptian cleaners seem to be towel folding experts so don’t be surprised to find a swan, crocodile or elephant on your bed when you return to your room, they are all beautifully decorated with flowers freshly picked from the garden.
If you get tired of eating all inclusive meals, there is a McDonalds about 15 minutes up the road, come out of the hotel and turn left and just keep walking up the road and you will come to it on the left.
If you want to dine out, you can get fantastic steaks and service at the Viva Beach bar and restaurant, which is actually the hotel’s private beach, but a good 10 minute walk away, you cut through the side of the Hilton hotel towards the sea, turn right and just walk along the promenade and you will come to it on the left, a meal for two with wine is about £15 each, T bone steaks are £7.70 and Fillets are about the same.
If you are looking for an authentic Egyptian night, again go past the Hilton hotel, turn right and about 100 yds down the road on the right is Tam Tam, - see separate review
If you want to get out and about, you can book a taxi from the hotel, it might be slightly more expensive, but you can haggle slightly and they will do a pick up services too. You could opt for a possibly cheaper blue and white cab, but you have haggle and ensure that you are paying for the whole party, not individually, there were a few examples where people agreed a price but then when they arrived at the destination, they were charged each, so not such a bargain.
If you are not great at haggling or don’t like being pestered by over enthusiastic shop keepers, you could go to Soho Square where there is a vast range of shops and bars, but mainly designer, but the price you see is the price you pay and generally they will allow you to browse around the shop and not bother you with cups of sweet tea or coffee, but you will pay top prices !, but the choice is yours.
If you do feel more adventurous, then go to either Naama Bay or the old town, the old town is about £4.00 GBP in the taxi and you can get yourself some really good bargains, although anything designer is almost guaranteed to be fake, as are cigarettes and perfumes, one couple brought several packs of rolling tobacco for less than £2.00 GBP per pack, only to find out that inside the sealed pouches was mainly ash and little sign of tobacco, so if it seems to good to be true, it probably is !
Also, be very wary of shopkeepers inviting you in to sign their book for good luck, apparently old Egyptian custom, not quite sure that is true, but what is more likely to be true is that you will be locked in the shop until you buy a grossly inflated camel, that’s price – not size ! or you feel intimidated into buying something you really don’t want.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank philbertNottingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel in November 2012 for 11 nights. Can't fault anything really, good food, fantastic service and much more. The only down side is copious amount of... Pesky Russians. But I think this is not the fault of the hotel itself. Cleanliness was good however, bed linen is not changed on the regular basis unless you ask, our room was very good and quite modern but there are other rooms within the complex with lesser standards. Within the complex there is 5 swimming pools with bars where you can get refreshments and food, and two restaurants. Staff is friendly and very helpful, they are really working their ******* off and bend backwards to accommodate all your needs. If you don't mind 90% of hotel guests to be Russian I would recommend this place to stay in sherm el sheikh.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I would like to start by saying I have never written a bad review and have stayed in a range of classed hotels and can confidently say this is NOT 3 star.
Booked with Thomson who firstly offer a vague ad for the hotel (you don't notice this until you get there and realise exactly what your not getting), they also forget to mention you will not be greeted by one of their uniformed Thomson reps at the airport - believe me you really want to see one when you land at Sharm MILITARY airport. It's chaos and not the most friendly welcome. Have to take the word of a random stranger that he's going to transfer you to your hotel.
Hotel: do not be fooled as you enter the nicely presented reception - you will not be staying here! You will be taken to back and beyond to a different hotel where they like to keep the foreigners, don't fret this is not a bad thing as we discovered. Your away from the locals, grubby pools, little tykes dump yard and bad smells. Not forgetting the entertainment pit, don't recall seeing entertainment but there was a drugged up drunk species swaying around the dining room telling everyone they had to go the pit. Nobody went as most people strolled around the pool a couple of times before retiring to their rooms because there really is nothing else to do here,
First impression of room was good, clean tidy and adequate facilities, including a tv with a movie channel that entertained a very bored teenager for a week. Positioned right next to the only sanitary swimming pool on either hotel complex. A small blessing as there is nothing else to do. However after 3 nights I could have been mistaken as being infected by chicken pox, but luckily I was ok as the replacement Thomson rep simply diagnosed Bed Bugs (2nd case he'd seen that morning) so that's ok then??? I have a picture of my sons broken, ripped flea ridden bed - this is what Thomson call 3 star. Should make a point that when I say go to bed, not sleep you have to keep one eye open as patio doors can be slid open when 'locked'. All the security patrolling does not help with the nerves. Relaxing holiday?
Don't bother unpacking, keep all clothing and possessions in a locked suitcase this will really disappoint the cleaners.
Should say first rep (Oram) was never seen again after our first day where he listed all the dangers of going off the complex - camel men taking u hostage for money, nuisance taxis etc etc. informed us to stock up stomach upset medicines. Later in day he had change of heart and decided to tell us everything was safe and there wasn't a safer place on earth than Sharm El Sheikh. Never saw him again.
Dining room - 30 steps each way, an unexpected exercise as mobility issues never portrayed by Thomson. What a treat when u finally get to dining room - you get to clean your own table, wipe down cutlery if you manage to locate a full set on the premises and no need to get your own drinks, they serve you tea, coffee and juice all made with lovely fresh TAP water. Couldn't identify the few dishes available so usually ate a plate of sweet pastries all same variety but cut into different shapes to give choice. If you fancy more, they're taken to the pool bar for your all inclusive snack next day. Don't assume there will be ice creams, because there isn't. Thomson say they don't supply ice creams as standard for all inclusive hols yet in 15 years this is a first. So, along with the stale pastries you get one option of snack at pool bar - burger and chips or chicken thingy and chips. Both are not available each day, no - they alternate these every day. Chips to be served by hand - literally! Needless to say we only ate as and when hunger seriously kicked in. We ventured to the shop next to reception for snacks for children and of course got charged stupid rates and spent £100 on crisps and Oreos in a week.
We decided to take a risk and walk the 5 minute journey to the McDonalds (left as u leave reception) OMG it has to be the most horrific experiences of my life. Don't get me wrong the McD's was heaven after a week (can't believe I said that) but getting there was frightening. It's dark, smoggy, curb crawling, witnessed a taxi driver and friends beating up a passenger and a man made a grab for my daughter (8yrs).
I was glad to see the back of this HELL HOLE and would never ever go back to disgusting Jasmine or Sharm El Sheikh. It's a disgrace.

Room Tip: Stay in large groups. Get McDonalds tel number. Best advice: don't go and try and get some mon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from the 7th-14th january, we had a great time. The hotel in places could do with a little tlc but everywhere was clean. The food was good always found something we liked and the desserts were lovely too. The drinks served around the pool are served in small plastic glasses but if you take your own pint glasses they will use them. The wine and beer were good too. The staff were lovely, they could'nt do enough for you from the waiters in the jasmine restirant to the guy who cleaned our room they were all so friendly which made our holiday enjoyable. This is our 4th visit to sharm and I can honestly say this is one of the better hotels we have stayed in not for it's image but for the friendlyness of the staff, we will definatlely be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sammie053
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Well I have read through many reviews on this hotel so here are a few bullet points of our stay here so far

# flight out just over five hours and bags arrived quickly. One tip if you are not going to be leaving Sharm you don't need to buy a visa so just go to passport control no matter what the reps in the airport say its just to get your money

# Take twenty mins to get to hotel and you get a warm welcome when you arrive

# Yes it true you are placed in the back of the hotel called the Jasmin only a few mins walk but as some have said there are quite a few steps ( but does help to burn off all the drink and food you will have if you go A/I

# We are in block 21 and its perfect , king size bed , rain shower , flat screen tv with a few English stations and a film channel. Most room over look a pool (2 are in the Jason and two in the other part - all have a pool bar and we found one that we were the only ones there it was like your own private pool

# Staff are very good and are happy to do anything for you and a little tip goes a long way so recommend you do that

# Food is good and they try to cater for everyone only had a few meals so far but all good and no Egyptian belly

# The pool are cold and yes the big pool at the top does need the bottom to be repainted but not easy as would mean they would need to close it for a week to do this but I am sure they will sort it out. Also the batman on the top large pool is amazing he will walk around the pool and take your drinks order and bring it to you and does not expect a tip - but what's a pound to get all day service like that.

# I am doing this review on my ipad sat by the pool please see pic. One last tip if you have an unlocked phone or want to use your ipad go to a Vodafone shop and for less the twenty quite you can have 8GB of date not bad when if you roam your operated will charge upto 8 pounds!!! Per Mb used so don't use data roaming

If you are due to come here you welcome to email

I will update more as days go on

thanks

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was absolutely terrified by all of the bad press regarding terrorist attacks planned for the Christmas period in Sharm, and spent theweek before I arrived trying to cancel. I am so glad that I didnt. I had the most wonderful time,The hotel was just so lovely, the weather was perfect,Thompsons rep Matt was excellent,as were all of the staff at the hotel and spa. The food was lovely,(no bad tummy) The staff went above and beyond, anything we wanted they sorted. We arrived late on our first day, restaurant was closed, so we went to the bar enjoyed our first drink and one of the staff approached us and asked if we would like some food in the room, we were amazed,when we got to the room,cold meat, cheese and bread and salad. Take a travel kettle as no tea making facilities in the rooms. take large plastic glass if you are a beer drinker,as plasic cups were too small, but fine for spirits and mixers. The excursion to sinai by starlight was amazing,as was the VIP boat trip and snorkeling. For a three star hotel no complaints.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of November 2012 while visiting Sharm-el-Sheikh.
On our arrival everything looked good. You walk into a nice looking hotel. However, when they took us to our room, we left the hotel that we came into and went to another hotel at their "backside". You walk quite far to get there and I only then realized that they have more than one hotel and we are obviously staying at the not-so-nice one. This was okay with us because we are really not into luxury, and only want a clean room.
When we eventually came to our room it was already 01h00 in the morning due to a late flight. We were desperate to get into bed quickly. However, the following went wrong in quick succession:
1. The shower went hot and cold the whole time without us touching it.
2. There was ONE bath towel for both of us and it had a blood clot on it!
3. The linen on my husband's bed was full of holes and looked like it was eaten by mice.
4. And then (the last straw) my husband got a used piece of dirty cotton wool in his bed.
Even though it was late, I immediately phoned down to reception with my complaint (I have never done this in my life), and the manager on duty came to our room after it was clear that we are not going to settle this over the phone. I was livid. We were beyond tired and only wanted a clean room to sleep in. When the manager came, I all but shouted at him and asked him how on earth this can be a 4-star hotel? I have slept in 2-stars that was way cleaner. The poor man apologised (when he could get a word in) and said that we would look for another room now and he will not leave us until we are satisfied.
The room that he took us to was much cleaner (although still not on 4-star standard) and we took it. Only the next morning did we realise the nice location of this new room ... it was right next to the pool and we could see a beautiful sunset each evening from our patio.
For the rest of our stay there, the service was good and breakfast, lunch and dinner were included which was nice. To my surprise, I actually found the restaurant of the "back hotel" better than the one in the main hotel.
So after promising myself the first night that I would give them a Terrible rating in my tripadvisor review, I left after two nights feeling considerably better about the situation due to good service further on. It is after all a hotel in a great location, it has its own beach (but so does all the other hotels as well), and it has got a few lovely pools.
I would not say you shouldn't stay here, but I would say that you should make sure about which hotel you are getting (front or back) and if you are unhappy, complain. They are actually more than willing to accommodate you if they find you unhappy. This is why I gave it an Average rating in spite of the very bad first impression.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple