“Terrible hotel”
Review of Luna Sharm Hotel

Luna Sharm Hotel
Ranked #211 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is absolutely appalling. This was my grandmothers and myself first trip to Sharm El Sheikh and because of this hotel, probably our last!

Let me start with the room - the room felt very unclean. Especially the bathroom. We were supplied with dirty towels covered in stains on most days, along with bed sheets and covers also with stains.

The food - goodness me. I strongly advise anyone, if you insist on travelling to this hotel, do not bother going all inclusive. The food is not edible. The smell and taste makes you gag. It was absolutely repulsive. Me and my nan survived on dry bread - there wasn't even any butter! We survived on bread for a week. We were very hungry when we got home.

Drinks - the soft drinks didn't taste how they should, however the alcohol was very nice.

The bar closed for all inclusive at 10pm! Which is ridiculously early. All other all inclusive hotels I have visited do not close until gone midnight!

The people however were all very very friendly. In fact I was sad to say goodbye. They were all very willing to help you and extremely polite. The people were the highlight of the accommodation.

Now for Sharm itself - what a dump! At the side of the road, where ever you go, rubbish! It looked like a dumping ground. Not at all what pictured when I had sharm el sheikh in my head.

Dispite all of this - this was a fantastic holiday. Very hot, with lots of sun. However the daylight hours aren't that long in November/December (it is winter, even at 33 c!) we had a proper laugh, even though this hotel was a complete train crash. Oh, and just another note - avoid eastmhar tours - they were over an hour late picking us up on arrival for our transfer!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank RJC95

Reviewed December 1, 2012

All inclusive finish's at 10pm. Not advised of that until we went to get a drink. Evening meal from 7.30pm, but small dining room was full by 7.15pm and we had to wait 45 mins to be able to get a table. Wish we had not even bothered. Not much to choose from, and didn't recognise anything other than bread rolls and sliced cucumber. Butter they keep hidden in the kitchen, but not much use when they do bring it to you and its still frozen. Only spent one night and changed to a better hotel as soon as we were able. Was advertised as disabled friendly. If steps up to the bar, up to the dining room or out to the pool area are disabled friendly, then I need to get myself the type of wheelchair that can manage these steps!!

Room Tip: The best rooms are in a different Hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Vera P
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I didn't expect very much from this 3 star hotel which was a mile from the nearest beach, but it was a lovely surprise to arrive at such a well-designed and attractive place, set back from the road with a delightful garden of green lawn, flowering shrubs and palm trees. The reception area was well laid-out and spacious, and the receptionist pleasant and efficient.. I had asked for an upstairs room so felt let down when I was led to a ground floor one with a terrace instead of a balcony. But a quick call to reception sorted it and I was shown up to a huge, snow-white room with enormous bed and sparse but unusual furniture. The room was bright and fresh, with a massive window leading onto a very large balcony, with railings convenient for hanging clothes to dry (my clothespegs even fitted the bars!). The air-conditioning worked effectively and I had no problem finding BBC World News on the old-style but adequate TV. The one snag was where to put clothes, as there was just one drawer, and a curtained clothes-hanging area with only two shelves. But the room was so big that there was plenty of space to lay things out on surfaces, and the bathroom was just right, with lots of towels which were changed daily if required. I was pleased to see an environmental notice for those who did not need a daily towel change. The shower was powerful and in a large curtained area, the only problem being that sometimes it was necessary to run it for a few minutes to get hot water. But as the normal water temperature wasn't very cold, I was happy to use that before the hot came through.

The only drawback to the room was the fridge, which was very noisy and could not be adjusted, so it rattled on and off all night, waking me up. Other people told me they pulled out the plug at night to get some sleep! But it was handy having a fridge for water and the soft drinks which could be bought quite cheaply from the well-stocked shop in reception.

I arrived in the evening, so it was another wonderful surprise to look out next morning and see the most beautiful large pool, surrounded by sunbeds with white fabric umbrellas, and lots of palmtrees and flowers. The building actually encircles the pool with all the bedrooms facing it, and has obviously been designed by an expert architect, as it has a flavour of the Middle East without being obvious or gimmicky. It's possible to walk all the way round on the upper floor, along passages and through big open spaces with seating areas and outer views to the garden, and beyond that over a wall, smart white houses, desert and spectacular rugged mountains. Great for sunset photos!

A large terrace runs along one side of the pool with a bar, and access to the restaurant. I was amazed by the variety of food on offer at every meal, mostly healthy and interesting salads and vegetable dishes with plenty of fruit on offer, and for those desperate for carbohydrate, a wonderful display of breads, rolls, pastries and cakes. Meat doesn't figure largely, there is usually one fish and one meat dish on the buffet - the meat being either chicken or beef - but there is also a chef in action at all meals, cooking omelettes and pancakes at breakfast, pasta dishes and grilled or barbecued meat dishes at lunch and dinner. Some British guests weren't happy as there weren't always chips on offer, but when they were, they hogged the lot instead of choosing a selection of everything available. Honestly, I despair of the typical ingnorant Brit on holiday! But there weren't as many Brits as there were Russians, and at the weekends, big parties of Egyptians would fill the place and were sometimes rather noisy. Very interesting for people-watching, though!

In the reception area are 2 computers, ideal for me as I don't have a laptop, and with fast speed and at just £3 for an hour, I was very happy with them. Warning: don't use them after dusk, as they are right beside the garden door and you will be massacred by mosquitoes. They're a very small Culex species though (no dangerous malaria-carrying Anopheles in Egypt), so although the bites are very itchy until bedtime, you hardly notice them next day.

Unfortunately, apart from tea, coffee and juice at breakfast, no drinks are served in the restaurant, and you have to keep dashing out to the terrace bar to get what you want. On All Inclusive as I was, the drinks were served in quite small glasses, which I found quite annoying. I asked the restaurant supervisor why drinks were not served at table, and he said there was no room to have them there. But with a little rearrangement I'm sure it could be done, and would be much more civilised than people rushing in and out with full glasses all the time! Surprisingly, the coffee at the bar is only instant!! But as I'm not a keen coffee-lover I really enjoyed my cappucinos made with instant coffee and powdered milk. Tea is a different story as the barman has no idea how to make English tea, so I had to grab the cup as soon as the teabag was in, and force him to fill with boiling water and then give me a chance to "mash" the bag until the tea was strong enough, then remove the bag and add milk. This caused much amusement among East European and local guests! I wish tea-making facilities were provided in the rooms, but it is only a 3 star after all. Next time I'll take my mini kettle and teabags.

On my first afternoon I went by the free shuttle minibus to the hotel's designated beach area at Ras um Sidd. They also take people to the sandy bay of Sharm El Maya, but the Ras um Sidd beach has snorkelling, which was the reason I was at Sharm in the first place. The beach is reached by long flights of wooden steps from the clifftop, down an interesting cliff-face which has cafes and restaurants perched on it. The cafe which owns 'our' beach strip, Farsha, is a wonderful Arabian Nights kind of place, full of antiquities, carvings, striped Bedouin rugs, lounging areas and of course a huge area for smoking sheesha pipes (which I didn't use as I've never smoked, but it looked very enticing.) There's also food and snacks available just above the beach itself, which is sandy and has lots of sunbeds with thatched umbrellas. The sea is shallow and very safe for children, and you can swim to the reef within 50 metres for an incredible an incredible array of fish! Swim further, and you come to more and more coral, and eventually, within about 200 metres, the reef drop-off, with coral of all shapes and colours including large fans, and even more spectacular fish. The perfect introduction for an avid snorkeller like me!

The hotel is actually a mile to the closest private beach, at Amphoras reef, a shore reef reached by a jetty which takes you right to the reef drop-off which descends into unbelievably blue depths, and is swarming with huge parrotfish, Napoleon wrasse and brilliantly-coloured surgeon fish, among hundreds of others. The other recommended snorkelling reef sites are all within 2 miles of the hotel, easy walking on high tiled pavements beside the big straight roads which carry little traffic, though you need a boat to snorkel the more inaccessible places. Get the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet guide for full details of snorkelling and diving sites, or buy the locally available colourful guides. I hope you will all be as pleasantly surprised as I was by the hotel, and just as delighted with the snorkelling!! And it's also only a 2 mile walk to the fantastically exotic Old Market for shopping and night cafes. For the less active, a taxi to all these places costs less than £3, so what are you waiting for?

Room Tip: Upstairs facing the pool. There are other rooms set back in the gardens which more private people m...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank smallspender
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Luna Sharm was exactly as we expected for the price we paid, with good sized, clean rooms, comfy bed and adequate food, with the added bonus of very friendly staff, and lovely gardens. The Hotel is not luxurious but if we had wanted 5* we would have chosen and paid for a 5* Hotel. As we go to Sharm-El-Sheikh to go diving (and have been several times before), we usually look for a smaller Hotel which acts as a comfy base for our diving holiday.

The Bar and Restaurant staff in particular were very friendly – Reda the Bar Manager is a lovely man and always made sure our glasses were topped up. Although I never have high expectations of all-inclusive food, the staff made a big effort to try new dishes according to the different nationalities staying, and there was always a large selection of dishes available. Although we ate out in the evenings for about half of our stay (as we enjoy going into Naama Bay for a change of scene), I enjoyed breakfast every day, with plenty of choice and eggs made to order. Yes, I asked for butter every day but I always got it straight away without any problem (asking nicely helps, which I’m sure not everyone does!). Mosquitoes are a big problem in the whole area (including neighbouring 4 and 5* Hotels!), not just in the Luna Sharm Hotel, and we are very fortunate in that we don’t suffer allergic reactions/didn’t get badly bitten.

Our only tiny complaint was that there were two karaoke evenings during our stay - we booked this Hotel specifically as there was no ‘entertainment programme’. But I understand that the staff were just trying to cater for the guests, and we just about managed to drown it out with a DVD and headphones!

We will definitely return to the Luna Sharm in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VixFrance
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Sadly as with many hotels in the resort they use the water from the sewage tanks to spray the gardens every night, so lots of people with sickness and diarrhoea including myself 10 days later I am still ill. Also lots of people with infected insect bites for the same reason. If they cleaned up their act I would go back, staff were really friendly and a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank RichardConroy
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I cannot begin to describe our first experience in Egypt. Hotel tired, Cockroaches, mossies, gardens sprayed with sewerage and food was awful. Only decent meal was breakfast as you could have an omelette. The hotel was overfull with locals and the crap menu was made worse as they changed it to all local food.
On the good side the staff were superb.

Room Tip: pool view upper floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank daddy920
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked 9 nights all inclusive (I have been to Sharm twice before, but not this hotel). We arrived at 7.30pm just in time for dinner. The food was exactly as I expected and pretty similar to all hotels in the area. (Choices of fish/meat/potato/rice/pasta/salad/breads- similar most nights but just slightly different shaped potatoes). Puddings were fluffy coloured spinge cakes, jelly, or a random textured jelly/blacmange type thing and some random fruit every now and then. Every few days they would do some amazing mini doughnuts, and also a BBQ which has amazing koftes or chicken.

When we checked in to our room we notice the fridge wasn't working and it was changed immediately.

The first night 3 out of 4 of us got bitten badly by mozzies. By the following days this happened again and we got infected and had to see a doctor (seems to me that they all want to get money out of the insurance companies in the UK). Had jabs, pills and creams.

We spoke to our rep (John) and found that they had not ben spraying the hotel for weeks and he was trying hard to get them to do something about the mozzies (Not helped by the fact that every day at 4pm they would water the grassed areas with stagnant sewage water which stank....and attracted more mozzies).

The pool towel I got given was gross, it stank old and dirty! I didn't bother picking one up any other day.

The rooms were cleaned and towels changed daily (I did have to ask for towels on 2 occassions though as they had been taken but not replaced).

We did ask them to spray our rooms with mozzie spray which they did do. And by day 3 they came round with this huge machine that sprayed diesel smoke round the grounds which did help rid it of mozzies. On a day this wasn't done I got bitten again (allergic reaction, another trip to a doc, more jabs, a drip, creams and tablets).

The staff were fab on the bar (Reda/Osama you were amazing and when i come back- if I don't stay there, I will definitely come by and say hello).

Our rep John was also great and we booked the Jeep Safari trip with him and had an amazing day out (Hi John).

The All Inclusive would have been much better if it was from 11-11 or 12-12. Drinks served by the glass and they were very hot on finishing A/I by bang on 10pm!

Having choice of some premium drinks after A/I finished would also be great (i'd be prepared to pay for some decent tasting wine- the AI stuff is NASTY!- or some premium spirits).

There is no entertainment except for the Karaoke night on Sundays, no pool games or anything. The music that was played at the bar/pool area was pretty good though most of the day.

The beds were hard (good for me), the bathrooms definitely needed some TLC.

The guys who work in the Shops inside the main reception were nice and friendly and not at all pushy (Hi Marco).

Everyone we met there (English) were lovely. Each group of people had at least one ailment....either mozzie bites or dodgy stomach (Myself and 1 friend had both). Do not use the tap water even for teeth cleaning...unless you want to be on the toilet all day or not be able to go at all and be bloated and bunged up.

Twice we were hungry out of hours and they made us burger and chips which was nice. You can also get a delivery from Pizza Hut/KFC/Maccy Ds to the hotel (amazing!!)

Seriously though, if you have nothing to compare this hotel to and havent stayed in Sharm before, you may like it and enjoy it (I did have a good time thanks to the staff and guests making things fun- and the amazing weather).

Breakfast is a little bit odd. But if you like pastries you will be fine. (Great choices).

Some tips if you decide to stay here:

1. It is basic, it is one of the cheapest on any booking website so be prepared that you do get what you paid for.

2. Cover your legs in the evenings- you will get bitten alive! (Not just in the hotel-but everywhere in Sharm)

3. Bottled water only (stock up from the shop inside the hotel rather than waiting until it is closed and getting it from the bar as it is half the price in the shop). The ice at the bar is mineral water as it the water they serve you.

4. If you have any problems then speak to John the rep as he is helpful and friendly and will try to do all he can for you. (if you need a doctor he will have one for you in half an hour)

5. Make friends with the bar staff, they are a good laugh.

6. Be aware of the rude Russians!

7. Try Kanzaman fish restaurant in Naama Bay for THE BEST seafod platter ever!

8. Do the Jeep Safari trip. Best £35 spent all holiday, (Jeep through desert, bedouin tea, camel ride, snorkelling in the Blue Hole, amazing lunch and shopping in Dahab).

Room Tip: Ask for pool view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends