“Good but not 5*”

Ranked #18 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Durham, United Kingdom
“Good but not 5*”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just come back from a lovely holiday here and although there is nothing you can fault the hotel on it certainly isn't a 5 star hotel. If I'd been going expecting and paying for 4* then I would have been happy but this is just too dated now.
I look at trip advisor to inform me of my decisions and to give me tips for my journey so that's how I'm going to review club magic life.
This hotel has lovely food and a great entertainment/activity schedule. The resort is secure and the kids club is quite relaxed but there aren't children 'all over'. Likewise there are couples,
singles, families - there doesn't seem to be one audience for this hotel BUT there is a strong 'fun' vibe aimed at the over 16s. There is no 'band' system and I have no idea how or if the bar staff know who is over 18. There is also A LOT of smoking, there are non smoking bar and restaurant areas but when I was there guests were laid smoking at the edge of the pool and yes drinks are served in glass around the pool. As someone else has mentioned the swim up bar was closed during my visit. There are lots of sun loungers around the activity pool and on the beach. The pool ones are reserved with towels from 6:30! When you're in the pool there is no real view, I missed that, only the hotel can be seen which doesn't really do wonders for you.
The resort is large, don't be fooled by the room numbers in the Thompson brochure and when Thompson tell you it's a Thompson only hotel, they are telling you the truth but remember they trade in other countries!
Also, there are no lifts so you may be on the third floor, as we were, with no lift....that's 6 flights of stairs that are outdoors (no air con) in 40+ temperature - not to mention the walk to get to the accommodation block. You can probably request a ground floor room but my friend was in one of these and was plagued by Mosquitos on a night (we weren't). We also had a good view being higher up.
The room was ok, lovely big bed but very basic, not at all 5 *, the shower was a joke.
So, would I return....maybe but only if the hotel had a major overhaul. 10 years ago it was probably cutting edge now it just lets down the excellent entertainment, staff and food.
Hope that helps!

2 Thank VIX72_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,259)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tillicoultry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Me and my partner are just back from this hotel . Absolutely superb hotel / complex. Rooms are spotless and clean . Restaurant has excellent variety of food. So much so we ordered a mc Donald's 1 night because we could not face another night eating steak , fish, chicken , veil , swordfish, all excellent a must say . You always eat like a king 24 hours a day if u fancy . The hotel complex is immaculate always . Staff are very friendly . Must try al a carte restaurants for dinner. But do not forget these al a carte restaurants also do lunch superb . We will return to this hotel . Highly recommended .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The best holiday I've ever been on.
I had checked trip advisor before I booked etc and all were showing fantastic reviews. However even these weren't good enough! The holiday seriously exceeded my expectations!

I went with my partner for a relaxing 1st class holiday and that's exactly what we got. Very happy.

The pool was lovely, but more lovely than what we went for so we went to the beach everyday. The views were stunning and the snorkelling was better than I thought it would be.

We did end up with Egyptian belly but don't know how.
The food was amazing and very clean so don't think it was from this. We also used anti bacterial hand wash all the time.
We never saw 1 mosquito which helped again.

We thought the staff would be slimy etc but they really weren't. Very friendly.

I would seriously recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone! Kids included as the entertainment seemed great for families too. If I was to return to Egypt I would definitely book this hotel again. However, the Egyptian belly has put me off for my next holiday.

There were over 35 cocktails included in the all inclusive and were very nice!
Wish I had tried the mojoito beer before the last day as it was so refreshing on the beach!

Towels and beach towels provided and changed everyday.

Camel rides available on beach yet hear a horror story from someone where he got charged £105 because he didn't discuss the price beforehand.
(Just thought I'd mention to be aware of).

Beware on return journey to airport etc for people wanting to help and tips. - just blank them and be straight saying no!

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Had a great week, may of been a bad idea to go in the middle of an egyptian summer!. Resort was great, big with lots of activities. Food was excellent, rakes of choice, a la carte restaurants where excellent especially the service. Only bad service was by the relax pool bar staff, absolutely no intrest in
Serving you, unlike the eagles lounge bar staff who were 5 star. Wouldn't reccomend going outside resort to the local shops etc, unless you like the hassle.
Definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Michael T
CUMBRIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

well what a holiday.From start to finish we loved it and our 11year old son.
On arrival cold cloths to cool down & orange juice lovely touch whilst waiting for room cards and cases to be delivered.
Rooms were very clean and spacious as our son slept in one of the huge beds beside us.Clean bedding daily with lovely towel art too.Tv with some English channels but who goes on holiday to watch tv or sit on the Internet?!.
Bathroom was also very clean with clean towels daily.
Mini bar filled daily also a fruit basket upon arrival & bottle of wine another nice touch.
Air con was fab we kept it on all day and was lovely to go back to after a day by the pool.
We loved the food & I'm a fussy eater ,I also noticed the hotel displays there food hygiene certificates and haccap certificates also both regarding to food hygiene and had great ratings to me this was a good sign as I work in the food industry.
Pool bar was great all staff were friendly and always smiling and happy to help.Its a snack bar toasters,hot dogs & sandwiches if you want to sit at the pool to eat.We preferred a quick walk to the mitai restaurant and yet again great food & service.The main restaurant is cooler and more comfortable to eat in.
The pools were great we stayed near the baby pool as it was quieter and great for a quick dip to cool off.Its about 2 foot deep. The waterfall pool was nice also and you can stand up in it at the waterfall end deeper at the sunbed end .The waterfall was nice to sit and relax in.The activity pool is where the fun is I watched a few different thing and enjoyed what I saw.
The entertainment team are amazing always on the go and always smiling .My little boy attended the 7-12 year group when he wanted to and really enjoyed this time meeting other kids & doing activities .
Evening entertainment what we saw was also good and the shows were good too .The amphitheatre gets very hot so take a drink with you.
I agree if you get an upset tummy don't blame the food as I can assure you it's cooked properly .My little fella loved the kids cocktails but I'm sure they are what caused his upset tummy.
We had an amazing holiday and are returning next year.I can't knock anything to be honest we're just a normal family who enjoy quality family time.Some people have had a grumble here & there but not everybody can be pleased all of the time and to be honest it's petty things nothing major and some wrong facts are wrong.If your after a family/couple holiday I'd recommend club magic life for certain we loved every minute from food to staff it was great remember on here go the the majority not the minority I know you won't be disappointed .I only returned today and going to book for next year tomorrow and our 21 year old son is coming too I hope this review has been helpful.

Room Tip: We were looking on to the tranquility pool block 22 and we never heard a thing day or night
10 Thank NAZ080808
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The hotel was spotless, the food was amazing with a different theme every night. You couldn't ask for nicer staff nothing was too much trouble. The beach however was disappointing as when the tide was out there was no water, you had to swim off the pier which on some days had quite a strong current. Also if you are going to the soho square for the evening, we weren't told to wear long trousers if you want to eat inside, they offered us trousers but who wants to wear anyone else's trousers. This was our 3rd time to Egypt and was definitely the nicest hotel we have stayed in

2 Thank Karen F
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from the best holiday we have ever been to. The only problem we had was that we didn't stay long enough. 1 week instead of 10-14 nights.

On arrival we had a cold towel to cool down and a fresh glass of orange juice whilst the concierge took our bags to our room.

The room was nothing special but was very clean and had all the amenities that we needed including the mini bar with water and soft drinks gratis and filled by the cleaners daily. Our towels were only changed when we left them in the shower as stated. Glad to have a safe that we didn't have to pay extra for. This had easy instructions to set your own pin.

The main restaurant was good and had plenty of seating inside or out. Breakfast and lunch were very repetitive but dinner was different at night as there was a different theme every night. Latino, Egyptian, Thai, Italian etc.

The waiters were very helpful and always there to take empties and reorders. My wife didn't like tequila in her drink so they were happy to alter the cocktail with the spirit of her choice. If we ever went to the bar there was never more than one person in front of us in the queue.

We only used the relax pool which was great as it wasn't as busy and loud as the activity pool. The pool attendant/ towel man even went down to the beach to get some more sunbeds when somebody wanted one but there were none available.

The wifi is overpriced in my opinion but you can use any device in the Internet cafe free of charge.

The beach is very well kept and has a decent jetty with a great snorkelling area. There is even a beach bar to ensure that nobody gets dehydrated. Every sun lounger has a parasol and has its own barrier around it for privacy.

There was a lot of activities including a gym, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi that were all part of the all inclusive experience.

One last thing is that we never got bit or had any experiences with Mosquitos. We didn't even get any repellent out of the bag. I think we were just lucky as we did see people with bites but maybe block 21 which we were in was in a good spot.

All in all an absolutely fantastic holiday. We did look at the reviews and had to laugh at some of the tiny moans people make. If we all lived by one bad 10 minute experience over the holiday, life would be miserable!!

• Stayed August 2013