“ONE OF THE BETTER ONES”

Ranked #18 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Stone, United Kingdom
“ONE OF THE BETTER ONES”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed in Club Magic Life early Dec 2012. Hotel decor is a little tired and needs updating , cleanliness is ok if not brilliant. The pool area is fine but there are many sunbeds tightly packed although less than a third was in use so not to intrusive, wouldn't like to be there if the hotel was full and all were in use. Hotel was mainly stocked with Germans rather than English.

The good , the food was excellent, didn't need to use the specialised restaurants as the main one was fine. The beach area is superb , lots of beds paired up around a large steel parasol and each pair screened off for privacy ,waiters attentive, sea shallow,warm,clean and safe.
The hotel gardens and grounds are very well looked after.

Main problem was the mosquitos, they were everywhere and many people were walking round with legs that looked like something out of the walking dead, at no time did I find the hotel spraying or trying to keep down the numbers down .If you are staying please bring plenty of repellant, also bring your tablets as the ones we bought locally didn't repell anything, we had 2 going 24 hours a day and still had them in the room.

All in all would just about recomend this hotel but is certainly no where near 5 star, probably 3.5 possibly 4 star

Room Tip: Bring plenty of insect repellant
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,259)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
wilts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

stayed here last two weeks of novemeber and the weather was perfect, better than last year by far! the beach was lovy and clean well spaced sunbeds and wind breaks which also makes it a bit more private. beach bar was quick service with a smile and life guards always cleaning up and keeping a general eye on everything! the jetty was brilliantly positiones for snorkeling and just a dip and life guard always presebt; red flag was up alot so noone wAs allowed in but it was always worth the wait! downside was both pool and beach toilets wernt up to sharms normal cleanliness standards! didnt use either pool because you are packed in like sardines and was impossible to get a decent sunbed after 7.30!

rooms are dated, there isnt a bath (not that we minded) and we went from having three bottles of water left a day to one; even tho we used all of them?! the cleanliness wasnt great; quite dusty and somtimes a strange smell in the bathroom?!

food was ok; loads of effort put into the decor or the resturant and staff very friendly and effiecnt...unfortunatly we have had better food in other sharm hotels! we didnt use any if the specials even tho we were there for two weeks reason being the ques to book, its a stupid system and when on holiday u just cant bw bothered with the hassel!

the eagles bar is where we spent our evenings Omar the waiter was fantastic the drink selection was the best AI we`ve had! 30 odd cocktails, watched two lots of entertainment which was poor, personally i wouldnt bother mainly aimed at the Germans (100s of them)!! wifi was ok just get a code from reception!

same old thomson flight no frills, 15 min transfer! majorly hasseld if you go outside hotel,massage staff pester you at least once a day.

I am afraid to say we wont return and this really should be a 4* even sharm standards...People are conparing this to Sensatori, well i dont know where they stayed but this hotel isnt even in the same league IM sorry but Sensatori is the the ONE.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank charli69a
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just back from Club Magic Life after a wonderful 14 day stay in November for my husband's birthday.
We stayed in Block 22 this time, which is a lovely quiet block, handy for the quiet pool, the wellness centre and a short walk to the beach. The room was clean and tidy and on my husband's birthday the cleaning staff made some handcrafted swan's etc out of hand towels.

The food and the service in the main Magico restaurant was fantastic our entire holiday, however as our "all-inclusive" deal included the free speciality restaurants, we went to them once each week.
If you want a lovely holiday which really is "all-inclusive" then go to Club Magic Life.
The only time you will need money is if you go on trips, leave the hotel or to tip the excellent staff.

3 Thank ET0703
harrogate
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just returned from our 9th visit to this amazing hotel, and even though i had the dreaded Egyptian tummy for most of the second week, i would still go back in a heart beat. They are our friends now, and treat us like family, nothing too much trouble, the staff from the top to the bottom are amazing a few SPECIAL SCHUKRANS, first to Mr Ali food and bevarage manager, he looked after me when i was off colour semding food and fruit to our room. Congratulations to Captain Artef, late of Sofra Restaurant on your promotion a truly super guy. Love to Captain Bob Eagles Bar, and his super staff, especially the best waiter in Club Majic Life OMAR what a worker, and friendly and happy all the time. Sissi Bar wonderful coffe, and cakes to die for!!! PLUS the wonderful Sam ( my Boy). Wish we were back there now. Wonderful holiday as usual. Negatives??? Silly things that dont really matter, but we ended up taking towels out just after 6 am cos if you cant beat em join em, still ridicuolous though. Birds on every table, not too much of a problem, but when theyre sat in Croissants and other food doing whoopsies, then one understands where the bugs come from, still i guess thats a small price to pay for the wonderful friendship and kindness shown by everyone. Roll on next time

Room Tip: High floors are quieter. But room 21109 round Relax pool very peaceful, Even though i liked ou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

A great hotel, lovely views, private beach, spa, shops, two pools , lots of activities for all age groups, very well planned menus and lots of effort put in by staff to make your dining experience each evening something different....in terms of regular dining, fine dining available in form of Sofra-a Egyptian restaurant; Mai Thai-a Thai restaurant and Baia , a Meditterranean restaurant...great choice of food!! Drinks and food available all through the day, internet available...Magic divers also there on site for you to enjoy snorkelling and diving in the Red Sea...
You don't need to step out of Club Magic at all!!

Thomson Holidays made our flying, transfer to and from hotel and day trips very smooth and enjoyable!! A very recommended place to visit....to escape the winter blues!!!

Room Tip: Rooms around the relax pool and near the beach are quieter in general but if you prefer to be in the...
2 Thank PSK31
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here after spending a week on the Thomson Celebration on the Red Sea Magic cruise which was excellent. We there fore expected high standards at the c.m.l..In no area were we let down. Food was fresh and plentyful my husband ,a big meat eater was in his element with all that was on offer. We cannot comment on the Al a carte eateries as we were never up early enough to book them as we slept like logs in the comfy rooms that were kept spotless. I cannot fault any aspect of this hotel, but felt uneasy because of the troubles in Eygpt at the moment . I am looking forward to visiting a Magic life Hotel somewhere else but will onlly return to Eygpt when things are more settled.disanoi

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JandreaM
Soton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Where to begin with Club Magic?

First off, this is an "exclusive" Thomson resort (for us English folk) and is sold as a 5 star "platinum" resort. During my stay for the first couple of days I would have been happy to give the resort a solid 4 out of 5, however several occurrences left my with quite a sour taste and somewhat tarnished my experience.

The Thomson flight was good, it masquerades itself as a proper airline however make no mistake - it still runs a low cost model operation; meaning pay for bags, pay for food, pay for any extra they can think of (and believe me, they can think of many. I booked about 5 weeks before our departure and had a few emails a week telling me what great deals I was getting and how I should "make the holiday better" by paying £120 to reserve a seat for the two of us). However, the flight was on a nice 737-800NG so still pretty new, and the seats weren't too bad. It left on time and got us there early so that's all I really cared about!

So, expecting the worst at Sharm airport - turned out to be not too bad. However, this was my first experience of how most of the people (staff, vendors, man on the street) act. Just rude or constantly hassling for money. Pulled case to bus and was expected to tip? Really? The guy got quite irritated that I wasn't going to tip him the 2 Euro to lift my case from the floor to the bus store. He was even doing the old trick of only keeping high value coins in his hand, and then showing them to you, so you feel obliged or duped into thinking this is the minimum tip. Anyway - I digress.

So, we arrived at the hotel and I had already filled in the form online, so we didn't need to waste time filling in that. Once checked in, we got 2 room keys, 2 towel cards and 2 luggage tags. The luggage tags you stick to your cases and the bellboy takes them up to your room. First impressions of the room were good, we had a suite on the top floor of block 17. Fridge was stocked with one bottle of pepsi, orange fanta and water so that was a nice touch. Room was more than acceptable, or so it seemed at the time. As it turned out the nightclub (or another resort not sure) nearby was determined to play very very loud music until the early hours and this could be heard in our room! The cleaner did a good job, we got the little towel animal things for the first few days but then they stopped. I found out this was because we hadn't tipped him. I'm sorry but I'm not going to pay money to get towel sculptures. This was a running theme throughout the whole trip.

The food was good, in the main restaurant every night is a theme (Italian, fish, Asian etc) so that keeps the evening food different but no such luck with the lunch and breakfast. It gets very boring after a week or so. I noticed some people have mentioned the birds - yes there are birds flying around the outdoor dining areas, that can't be helped, but what I do take GREAT exception to was the birds IN THE BUFFET TRAYS EATING THE FOOD! I couldn't believe it, the staff were either ignorant or just didn't care. The a la carte restaurants were very good, the service is brilliant compared to the rest of the resort. One thing I will say is the Egyptian restaurant food is the same as the main restaurant, so if you've eaten a lot of it there, the a la carte is going to disappoint you.

The two pools are unheated – the Egyptian sun does that for you, but they are on the edge of just being too cold. The main pool, the “Activity pool” has the majority of the sunbeds but you are forced to listen to loud dance/house music from 10am onwards. So to counter this, there is the “relaxation pool” but it only has about 70 sunbeds and is a fraction of the size. Because of this its nearly always full. Seriously guys, we don't mind music but not turned up to 11. Its like Club Magic can't decide whether it's a 18-30, a family resort or a older couples retreat.

The beach is nice, sand is the brown coarse type. Unusually the sea is very shallow for about 100m and then suddenly it drops off to deep nothingness. So if you want to swim you have to do it off the jetty, but you can't swim out very far. However the snorkelling off the jetty is amazing. Tons of corals and fish to see. But if you're expecting to just frolic on the beach in the waves, you can't.

The activities are all well organised and fun. Especially recommended are the archery and the boccia.

Now, the reason this hotel scored badly for me -

The staff. With some exceptions, the majority are just rude and miserable. More so this goes for the managers. I had a few questions for the guy on the main desk and he couldn't have been any ruder. Sighing at me, rolling his eyes and raising his voice to me. I walked away, but in hindsight I should have confronted him. All over a simple enquiry! We were waylaid on an excursion and ended up coming back very late, tired and hungry. All I was asking about was where to get food out of hours. He honestly couldn't care less and basically told me it was tough luck. So then I asked if we could get a lunch box for the next day and he said no, we were too late (BY 15 MINUTES!!!!) Didn't want to help, didn't care. For an all inclusive the food is only available at the times. Yes there is room service, but it's extortionate. £7 for a cheese sandwich.....in a so called all inclusive 5* resort?

The rest of the bar staff are just not interested in you. There are no niceties or politeness. I speak a little Arabic and thought this would at least cheer them up a little, but no. Just ignored. Whether or not this is a cultural or language thing I don't know. On one occasion the beer pump stopped working at the pool bar when I ordered some beer. I was told it was going to be a while to get beer, so I went back with a different order and the manager raised his voice to me and said something along the lines of “I told you no beer! Go and sit down!” whilst shooing me off with his hand. Not impressed. I don't go on holiday to start arguments so again I let it slide. If that is the way the managers behave it's little wonder the bar staff act the same.

The layout. The resort is huge and the signposts are useless. Frustrating and confusing, even some of the workers admitted to me they get lost!

The “upselling”. Those who have been to Club Magic will understand this. The bloody massage guys. Seriously (I really really wish I was kidding) I was approached by one of the “Wellness Team” to try and sell me an overpriced massage at least 4-5 times....A DAY. By the pool, at the beach, at the bar – it didn't matter, they would be there. And they are all pleasant and polite until you tell them you are not interested (for the nth time) and they go off in a huff without as much as a thank you or bye.

The upset stomach. Yes, you will probably get this, regardless of how careful you are. We only ate and drank at the resort and we both got the tummy bug. Looking at the hygiene standards of having birds/flies in the food and some of the cleaning stories I have read on Tripadvisor I'm not surprised. I am writing this about a week after we returned and it's only just starting to get better!

It amused me to see all of the awards and reviews from Thomson/TUI/Pegasus etc etc all over the walls of the lobby – TUI group owns the hotel. Are they really giving awards to themselves?

Also, concerning Thomson – do not believe their spiel on using them solely for excursions. They will sell you lies and horror stories about people who use outside tour companies, but really what they want to do is charge you a lot more money for the same trips. In most cases its nearly 40%! For example “Cairo by Air” with Thomson £189....Sharm Club £125. Snorkelling trip Thomson £40, Sharm Club £25. Sinai by Starlight Thomson £39, Sharm Club £25. We used Sharm Club and they were excellent (I will do a separate review on them), and we used Thomson for one excursion and they were awful.

Anyway, sorry for the long review – but there is so much wrong with this hotel and not very much right. Personally, I will not be returning!

2 Thank msouthampton