“Amazing holiday - Stay S Class” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Savoy Sharm El Sheikh

Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #39 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Nottingham
“Amazing holiday - Stay S Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just want to say that this was by far the best hotel and facilities we have ever had, and there have been many. Lots have been said before in reviews so will be brief.
Room was spacious, light and airy. Overlooked pools which could be a problem in the summer with the noise but as it was winter, did not affect us. Housekeeping good with little gifts left each morning.
Restaurants were wonderful - delicious food and staff soooooooo helpful. Three outdoor restaurants near beach were closed but plenty more to choose. Favourites were Hot Rocks and Seafood Island and then L'Entrecote in Soho Square. However, the service on the beach from the Beach Bar was brilliant. We only used the buffet restaurant for breakfast and just had freshly made omelettes but there was a good choice of food.
What a wow Soho Square was. Just walk out the hotel and there you have shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclub, ice rink, bowling etc etc and everything is included. Buses came from outlying resorts on trips for other people to enjoy, so felt quite privileged to have it on door step. Was like going out every night. My husband had a bit of a tummy one night (glutony, I'm sure) so I had no hesitation to go out by myself for a cocktail then on to the restaurant we had booked for dinner. Felt safer than I would in my hometown!
Girls on Guest Relations were so helpful and friendly, as were all the staff from the gardeners to the housekeepers to the waiters, reception, chefs, etc etc. Lovely people.
Tip anything from 10 to 50 Egyptian pounds (depending on where you're eating or drinking) and you will be treated like kings for the rest of your stay.
It would be very expensive if you didnt go S Class and when I worked out a days food and drink, it did work out good value.
I felt sad to leave as it had been such a lovely week. Will definitely go again but not in the summer months as it can be overbearingly hot, I believe. February was mid 20s, so I think would go for November or March next time, if I can wait that long!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nottingham22
SAVOYHotelmanagement, Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your positive review of the hotel and its facilities including the spacious rooms, pools, beach, variety of restaurants, housekeeping service, delicious food,friendly staff and Soho Square – a great entertainment centre to have on the door step. A hassle-free, safe place to dine, be entertained, to shop, to meet friends and people from other hotels drawn to the nightlife here. enjoys wonderful weather most of the year round and we have everything for the outdoors here as well as indoors.
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon, whether it’s winter or summer.
SAVOY Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Kungur, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

i had 2 dinners there. First at the "Hot Rock" restaurant. Nice atmosphere. designed in greek-roman theme. I did like the playlist, it was ballads .really lovely and catchy , so i was singing and eating and smiling. i had beef on that hot rock) it was amazing . Meat was perfect . they bring it to you little cooked so you can choose the way of making it. you make it according your personal taste (so they dont response for that). also some vegebatables (i cant tell it was nice but still veg:) ) i had more food but lazy to describe it. but as a dessert i had ice cream. it was soooooo delicios.yammi !) next time i tell about italian restaurant "Rosmarine"

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daridarya
Dear Guest
Thank you for the nice review which promotes our Hot Rock restaurant with the Roman design, nice atmosphere and music. Cooking your own choice of meat or fish on a hot rock to your own taste can be very satisfying. We look forward to your next review ofRosmarino, our Italian restaurant. Perhaps next time you come to The Savoy you will try some of our other 12 international, fine-dining restaurants just next door in Soho Square.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our 4 th time back to the savoy, which probably gives you an idea that we like it! Rooms were next to each other, clean, and of the usual high standard we come to expect. My toilet smelt, and after ringing housekeeping, someone was there within 10 mins to sort it. We had 2 encounters with customer services, checking that everything was ok, and if there was anything they could do to improve the experience. I still hate the Muzak that is constantly playing in the hotel and round the pool, but that is really the one downside for me. I had a birthday while I was there, and had a lovely towel duck and heart creation on my bed, with bourganvillia, and a birthday cake. I decided to refresh my diving skills after a few years of not diving, and spent dome time with DD who got my conference back, so I was able to enjoy a couple of day trips out on a diving boat. Wonderful. An excellent break in the sun. Restaurants in soho square were great as usual. Indian, Chinese and Thai were lovely, as was the Italian in the hotel. Wine is expensive in Egypt,though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SAVOYHotelmanagement, Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Guest
The SAVOY management appreciate your loyalty and are looking for the forthcoming fifth visit. Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review of our facilities and our customer service follow-up. We have found that guests do like a little background music as long as it isn’t obtrusive so we generally have it fairly muted and the playlist is updated on regular basis as per international standards. However, if you had mentioned it at the time I’m sure we could have muted it a little more for you. We are happy that you enjoyed your re-introduction to diving in one of the famous diving spots of Sharm El Sheik. Your compliments about SOHO Square and its wide choice of dining venues is welcome and encouraging us to extend the facility to have a new one each visit. Good wine is expensive as we insist on high quality food and beverages for our guests. We also ensure that health and safety issues and hygiene standards are met along with staff training and not forgetting the luxury restaurant interior design, international entertainments and the SAVOY ambience. So glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

With best regards,
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Holiday booked with Fleetway travel and first dilemma, half board deluxe dine around or 's-class' all inclusive that everyone raves about? In the end we decided we would have to really go crazy to spend £299 extra each on lunch and booze so opted for the half board deluxe dine around....

2 ladies having a break away from British winter, families and work....flight went smoothly and transfer is short. Airport is right behind the hotel complex but no worries about noise, not sure how but you rarely hear or notice the air traffic, so they either head off in a different direction or are just too high up to be noisy by the time they pass....

Check in was efficient and we were shown to our garden view room. Have to say, slight initial disappointment here....rooms have horrid net curtains and when you walk in, covering the huge glass balcony sliding doors, because of low lighting and the curtains it's all a bit dark and dingy! As others have suggested we did not unpack but took our time to check the room out and while it was fine, the view was not! Lovely big balcony but overlooking a roof top with a noisy air con unit on it! That was enough to make us call reception and politely ask if we could move.... No problem at all, and a few minutes later we were taken to a new room quite a bit further along. More of a walk but lovely garden view and while we had a bit further to the pool etc, it was quick to get into Soho Square and lovely and quiet. Block 6000, ours was 6136. Any parents with toddlers...this area has its own children's paddling pool, sandy play area, trampoline, sun beds and a few climbing toys....nice little area and always deserted! May be busier in high season but a nice little spot....and probably totally unknown to many guests who would never see it unless their room was in this area! I suspect there are better rooms and being nearer the pool would have been nice but in the end we were perfectly happy with this one, lets face it who wants to sit in the room all day!

General view of the rooms are that they are fine...as people say, a little dated but clean, beds are great as is the bedding (I'm very funny about bedding but no 'bobbles' on the sheets to scratch at sun burnt legs and backs!) Balcony space is great and we did sit out and have a few evening drinks.... TV old style, had to fiddle a bit with a loose aerial to get a good picture but actual viewing was fine...2 movie channels, music channel, BBC World, CNN, 2 kids channels and a number of sports channels all in English so plenty to keep everyone entertained if you are stuck in the rooms... The usual lack of hangers, seems to be a worldwide hotel 'hanger issue' so getting very good at making all the clothes I didn't end up wearing fit on 4 hangers! Bathroom nice size, little shower gel, soap, sowing kit etc.... Full length mirror, obligatory little slow hair dryer, bath and shower! Kettle is great, not had that before in Egypt or Europe, but was nice to make a cuppa in the morning. Little safe, no charge to use. Fridge for water and booze supply. Everything a clean and service each day kept to so. No towel animals or flower displays for us so not sure if that's the norm or just because we did not leave a tip but hardly the end of the world!

Savoy is a big hotel....definitely not full when we were there but enough to make it feel 'lived in'....3 large pools, one 'beach like' non heated, included the swim up bar...bit of shame its the cold pool as not many using it! Second pool had shallow a deeper bit but I'm pretty sure I could just about stand up in most of it...lovely and warm, good size and tended to be where families congregated as there were steps in for little toddling children....then deeper heated pool, mostly adults around this one, again nice size and all three on different levels with the effect of waterfalls flowing from one to the other so very pretty.....Could always find a sun bed, but we did wonder if it was the same if the hotel was full as there did not seem to be an abundance of spare ones, but they perhaps bring more out!

Pool areas are quiet, no loud music or enthusiastic 'entertainment teams' asking you to join in with games or 'club dances'....if you like that sort of thing you may find the Savoy a little sedate for your taste....what you do get is waiters providing drinks or offering to clean your sunglasses and the odd giggle or cry from a few children...the sound of water cascading down the waterfalls....very relaxing. Actually on the last day we ventured up from the beach a little earlier and there was a water aerobics class with music playing, and obviously in the school holidays it could be a very different picture!

The beach was lovely, clean, good facilities (toilet block, showers, snack bar and drinks). Two pontoons going out to the reef. No walking or swimming out to the reef over the coral so not much room for children or non swimmers, but there is a kids pool down by the beach so they have tried to accommodate all. The swimming area is cordoned off, both to protect the coral and swimmers from the odd power boat. Reef is beautiful, so many fish...something new spotted every day. I love snorkelling and this was one of the best reefs I've been on, including our last stay in Sharm at a different hotel. The water was quite cold and you don't have that steady walk out in shallow warmer water to get used to it as you are straight off the pontoon into deep water...If you like spending hours in the water a shortie wetsuit may be a good idea and will protect you from the sun on your back too! For non swimmers, you can see some of the fish just by walking along the pontoon and you can sit on it and watch them, but sadly its a poor substitute for getting in with them! Royal Savoy has a separate bit of beach but same pontoon....There is quite a few steps up and down from the beach so some may find that a bit tricky if you have mobility problems, but further along near the seafood restaurant I think it's a bit easier....

One grumble is wifi...can't understand why hotels have not accepted that in this day and age it's not an 'extra' and should just be part of the deal, like having a TV, towels or a bed! To rub salt in the wound they then go and make it a silly price! A few quid a day would not put anyone off but it was a daft cost, thus I suspect many don't bother....Soho Square did have it for free but not very fast and intermittent, could not cope with Skype or FaceTime.... think Royal Savoy guests get it included....One day!

What, for me, really sets the Savoy apart from the other hotel we stayed at in Sharm is the food...Buffet breakfast was nice, those that complain I really can't see what more they could possibly want! OK there are no British bacon, sausages etc but then we were not in Britain and slight difficulty with pork products! But even then they try to please with beef bacon, veal and beef sausages, even baked beans! There was cereal of all types, yoghurt, every egg combination you could dream up freshly cooked, fruit, toast, bread of all kinds, pancakes, waffles, porridge, even salad and cold meats! Oh and not forgetting pastries, croissants and a number of dishes that were possibly of Russian origin as not a scooby what they were but were lots of Russian guests....

Never did the buffet lunch so can't comment, but we did eat at the Rocky Pool bar some days...burgers, sandwiches and salads with fries etc....

Dinner was superb...different restaurant every night...started with the Bombay, lovely....Tai on night two and again very impressed. Seafood next, lovely setting down by the beach but possibly the most disappointing food wise...not a huge choice, soup was bland and seafood mix, main course was slightly tasteless white fish but perhaps we were just unlucky with our selection and as we both had the same main there was little to compare. The Italian themed restaurant in the hotel was the next nights choice and the setting is lovely...by day you hardly notice but by night they transform an outside area into a little bit of Italy...very pretty...food was great. We went to the Luxor, Egyptian...that was great too....as was Zen, the Chinese and my fav was Hot Rocks, lovely slab of tenderloin on a 440 degree stone that you can cook to your own taste in a super 'Roman' setting, with chariot, amphitheatre....just needed a few sparing gladiators!

You may be thinking 'she's too easy to please' but I'm not! I don't look for fault but know what good food is and on the whole this was very good. No gippy tummy for either of us! In terms of price, if you were B&B there is a 25% discount so I think it would be good value...for others I suspect it would feel pricey compared to other places outside Soho Square, but on average Our meals came to about £25 to £30 per head....(you still get a bill to sign even though you don't pay for it) without drink, so you can judge yourself, dependant on what you are used to paying, if that's good value or not for a nice meal out.

So the food was great, as was the service...as others have commented, it was not fast, but I would not say it was overly slow either...I would not expect a good restaurant to speed you through your courses and whisk you away out the door, thus for me it felt about right. Perhaps at busier times others have to wait for longer!

The charging is very simple....everyone gets a bill for everything...no coloured wrist bands here! So in our case we got a bill for drinks, which we did pay for (at the end of the stay) and a bill for food which was not added to your room bill...There is a strange thing going on with the service charges...menus say all service charges and vat included in prices, but then bill adds these on, as 12% service charge and some other city tax thing! one could argue about it, but it would change nothing, its obviously just the way they do it and perhaps its a translation thing where ' included' should read 'added' or something ...best just to be aware and accept it rather than ruin your holiday getting heated up about it...if you go s-class it won't matter anyway and for us it just applied to drinks....

So was our decision not to go s-class a good one? As I said, £299 extra each....To be fair we did not over indulge but we had what we wanted...we bought a bottle of vodka at the airport and some coke at the supermarket in soho square and had a few drinks each night while getting dressed for dinner...usually then one or two vodkas (shared a can of coke) in a bar and at dinner and also had a Big bottle of water with our meals....Over the seven days we had about 5 lunches at the snack bar, water each day round the pool and a couple of cokes during the day....Oh and a Shisha pipe at the cave bar....so not vast quantities of alcohol....vodka was around £5.50 so with half a can of coke £6.50... Big bottle of water around £1.90 (always gave us some spare for the room, teeth cleaning, kettle etc...) Our bill in the end was £126 each so way less than the £299 each we would have paid, so worked well for us...If you can't live without wine (very expensive and extra even for sclass for decent wine) and plan to drink all day and eat huge lunches then no doubt S-class is worth it...I think you get a free clothes wash and massage also...If you want to check your bill and what you are spending then you can ask for a printout at reception, all the restaurants and bars must be networked to the system as it always seems spot on and as you sign for everything any discrepancies would be easy to check....it seems a good process and apart from souvenir shopping you don't really need to carry cash about at all...

Onto Soho Square....very pretty, lots of lights, commercial and feels nice and safe. Designed, no doubt to cater for western tastes...downside...you could be just about anywhere in the world, upside...you can wander around, take in the sights and sounds and shop in relative peace for your souvenirs. Very different experience from Naama Bay or Old Town. No doubt you will pay more for your goods, but if you place a price on your 'time' (and want to keep your blood pressure low!) then you will save a fortune as haggling is an intensive and time consuming 'sport' that is not necessary here.... it can still be done...and prices are not crazy anyway...you can pay in Egyptian, Sterling, Dollars and Euros so no need to change loads of money in the UK...even the supermarket took sterling and gave change in sterling....

Entertainment was dodgy...usually just a singer, but then there is the dancing fountain, little fun fair rides for wee ones, ice skating and bowling...also a night club and ice bar so plenty to choose from...for those who want it football is playing in most of the pubs on late screens!

Phew...nearly there now!

We did a couple of excursions...following tripadvisor reviews organised a meeting with Siani Adventures, Tim and Janet are a UK couple who have set up a business and really looked after us...we organised during a meeting and agreed trips and prices. We were picked Up and dropped back at hotel and looked after superbly by Mohammed and Fox, and called by Janet to see if we had enjoyed things. All the trips were good, Quad biking was our fav...we were just a group of 4 with Fox and he took us into the mountains...such a great time...we noticed we were the only group out wearing helmets and most of the others were in huge groups which would have meant a much slower experience!

So all in all a great week...weather was fab, hotel was fab, service was great, Egyptians were as friendly as ever...it felt very safe and wish I was still there....

Room Tip: Don't unpack...make sure you are happy with the room and ask to see another if you are not!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank loopyloooo
SAVOYHotelmanagement, General Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a comprehensive and interesting review. Your comments are very welcome. We are so proud that you enjoyed the Egyptian hospitality, the safety in Sharm El Sheikh, the wonderful weather, the excellent hotel facilities, the quality of staff and great choices at Soho Square where we cater for all tastes, as you can dine, entertain, shop, enjoy the night life and have fun with your kids in the same place as there is a wide variety of kids’ facilities available along with special kids’ menus,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the excursions but we would like to change your experience about the delicate flavors of our mixed seafood and the soup, as we usually receive such positives reviews about our freshly-cooked seafood dishes. All the TV sets in the hotel have now been replaced with LED sets equipped with interactive facilities to order your room service, arrange your wake-up call and more than a hundred channels catering for all the nationalities’ tastes. If our guests need anything extra in their rooms they can simply dial reception who can organize some more hangers and anything else they may need..
Although the prices in the menu are all Inclusive services charge and taxes, we are presenting a detailed check to our guests
We would love you to come back and enjoy the variety of SOHO entertainment which includes live bands, oriental shows, Chinese acrobats, fire shows, international shows, Cuban bands, an Egyptian lute performer, international animation team, dancing fountain and a great nightlife. All this entertainment is arranged to cater for all tourists to Sharm el Sheikh, not just SAVOY guests.

With regard to the Wi-Fi, it is indeed free in Soho Square and we will consider your suggestions. We invite you to come back to enjoy the loyalty program privileges through which you can redeem your points for room upgrades, free meals and more. If you did not enroll at the first visit, feel free to contact The Savoy Club Program to enroll and have all the program privileges for your next visit.

Best regards,
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently back from a week in the Savoy... Our first trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.. The service was excellent, everyone was very polite and happy to help.
The highlight was the food... The quality and choice were amazing... The best we've ever had on holiday.. A Very authentic Indian and Thai were the favourites... The only downside was the price of some of the drinks... A g&t was £8... Ouch.. And the wine was even higher! A bottle of Egyptian red which although very drinkable was not worth the £35 we paid... Overall we would very much recommend the Savoy... A brilliantly relaxing holiday... Thank you...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank J91703
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank you for your very complimentary review and we are delighted to read you had wonderful, relaxing stay with us. Thank you also for the excellent reviews of our authentic Soho restaurants Bombay & Mai Thai. We will convey your glowing praise to both Indian and Thai chefs. We also hope you enjoyed the live broadcast from the Red Sea coral reef just offshore while you were dining.

With regards to the prices of alcoholic drinks, we do ensure that we offer our guests only top quality products and services at all times and this includes our standards of hygiene. Maintaining these high standards involves an immense amount of training, checking and putting controls in place to ensure that your dining experience is of the highest standard in Sharm El Sheikh.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Hotel Management
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Back yesterday from a week in this lovely hotel. The staff were all great and clearly are very well trained, lots of attention to detail and your every need catered for. Laying on the sunbed yesterday before heading off for the flight someone even came and asked if he could polish my sunglasses for me! We booked the half board deluxe and ate in a different restaurant every night - all of them were very good. As others have said, Soho square itself is very safe and I can imagine some may feel it's a bit 'sanitized' because of this and not 'the real Egypt' But you are able to go into the shops and not be permanently hassled like you might be elsewhere. They are still very friendly but I gather they are told they could loose their shop license if they bug tourists. The snorkelling was superb, best ever for me, and we did take a quick dive at the hotels diving centre which seemed well run, safe and with very competent staff so I would recommend that.
The beds were comfortable, rooms kept clean and had everything you need to enjoy your holiday. This was my first trip to Sharm and when I go back I shan't be looking at other hotels, it will be the Savoy for me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cheesecake11Chel
SAVOYHotelmanagement, General Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We were pleased to read that our resort with its facilities and services were up to your satisfaction, and that you enjoyed your stay. It was great to hear that you had a pleasant stay at Savoy and planning to come back again.
Looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Management
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

A fantastic hotel with great facilities and wonderful friendly, attentive staff. Fantastic choice of restaurants, all serving top quality food.
Hotel on doorstep of 'soho square' where it is possible to have a hassle free night out and avoid all the 'touts' of naama bay!
A great holiday experience and a very safe place to be ( so much bad press about Egypt but all problems restricted to northern cities hundreds of miles from here! ).
Savoy is a great hotel experience and for that extra special trip is the 'Royal Savoy' !

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Paulsmithcasty
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your kind words and taking the time to place a nice review.
Thank you also for your very encouraging comments - we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed spending your time in Soho Square too. The SAVOY team is looking forward to welcoming you once again in the near future