“Fab Holiday, Lovely Hotel, Lovely People, just got back feel free to ask questions!”

lti Tropicana Grand Azure
Ranked #110 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
knottingley, west yorks
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Well firstly let start with the negatives, the place is a little tired in places and needs titivating BUT that's it. This didn't spoil our holiday one bit and as its such as great Hotel it is open all year round therefore its very difficult for the hotel to make renovations. Upon arriving we were immediately upgraded to a junior suite, which we were very pleased about. We were travelling with two teenagers, one aged 15 (my daughter) and one 18 year old (my son), rooms were huge and very clean, cleaners came round every day, clean towels brought no problems. The food was wonderful and we never had a bad meal. From the cleaners to caterers, bar staff to reception everyone was friendly and helpful.

There is an ATM machine in the hotel lobby which changes English to Egyptian pounds and also you can use your back card to withdrawn cash. It was offline for a few days and the Thompson rep exchanged stirling for us without an problems.

Don't waste your money going to SOHO Square, the shopkeepers are rude and the prices in the shops just to the left of the hotel and over the road are very good, the only good thing about our visit there was the Indian restaurant, the food was superb. I'd also recommend a visit to the Three Crowns pub ove4r the road on a Friday nigh to hear Jack the owners Son sing, he can give Michael Buble a run for his money anyday!

Top tip.Find a good towel guy, give him a wink and a £1 coin tip everyday and you have a sunlounger every morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ruthr2931

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I have written a review.
My boyfriend and I stayed here for 11 nights, its our 3rd time to Egypt in 3 years so we knew what to ecpect. There is nothing wrong with the rooms apart from the hair dryer (take your own) I have quite short hair but still took me 20 minutes to dry it! We stayed in block 5 which was right next to 2 pools and the restaurant. We used the quite pool well its surposed to be the quite pool!! but it was still full of kids and they say the russains are bad well do are french!! Shouting and screaming across the TTY oupool! And the swim up pool you would have to wait 5 to 10 minutes to get served!
Also the grates around the pool were dangerous myself and my boyfriend and others fell through them and i ended up splitting my toe open! There were alot of ppl walking around with their foot or leg bandeged.
The food was good at this hotel better than the last 2 hotels we have stayed , but the service was shocking! Not once were we gotten a drink we had to get ourselves, there seems to be to many chiefs and not enough Indians! They just seemed to point all the time, so they would always be looking over their shoulders. if you leave the table to get something else they clear it! My boyfriend was still eating and they took his plate from right under him!
The wifi in the lobby was shocking!!! Its free thats if you can ever get on it, but if you payed for it you could get on it straight away!!
The bar in the lobby was not great at all I asked for a beet twice while stood at the bar to 2 different waiters and I still did not get one! My boyfriend stood there for 10 minutes there was 8 waiters behind the bar but only 1 serving!! It just seemed if you tipped them first you would get service??? Not tipping them after service!
All in all we had a good time and the 2 couples we made friends with.
I just thought I would give a realistic review.

And 1 last thing if you want to eat in the al a car restaurants make sure the men take trousers as you will not be allowed to eat in them!! They do not state that on the Thompson website! So we could not use them as he only took shorts as it was 35'c at night!

Lou&Rich

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Smallville13d
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I arrived back from the Tropicana Grand Azure yesterday (30th July) so wanted to write this review whilst the trip is still in my mind.

My wife and I (both 30 somethings) have both been on many wonderful holidays to Asia, America, The Carribean, New Zealand etc over the last 6-7 years all of which we would go back to but after 2 weeks in Egypt in the Tropicana Grand Azure we have both said we would never go back.

Rooms,

On the face of it the hotel looks like a very impressive place but it is in desperate need of a makeover as the rooms (we stayed in a junior suite) are dated and tatty. Do not believe the 'updated' thomson pictures as the rooms bare little if any actual resemblance to these images. They are not dirty but they feel dirty as they are very dark and dingey.

Food,

We had the Ultra all inclusive package and I am very very glad we did as the food in the 'VIP' restaurant was much better than the standard restaurant and you also managed to avoid the majority of the numerous ignorant Russians and the Chavtastic English families.

Staff,

This is the biggest bone of contention. Some of the staff are very good but most are down right horrible. As far as I am concerned I paid money for the holiday and included in that price was the service provided by the staff but it seems in Egypt this is not the case. The majority of the staff seem to think that they are paid by the hour by YOU whilst you are on holiday in the form of tips. And despite the fact that they smile at you, a feeling of dislike and out right contempt never seems to be far away from the surface.

Sharm El Sheik,

The place itself out side of the hotels is quite frankly a $hit hole. There is rubbish strewn everywhere as the egyptians of sharm el shiek obviously have not yet cottoned onto recycling.

Thomson,

if travelling with Thomson you will receive a welcome speech where you will be told all about the trips that Thomson offer. They will try to scare you into booking your trips with them as they will insinuate that you will not be safe if you book with other tour reps outside of the hotel. This is total rubbish, they are basically selling EXACTLY the same trips except the price is often double what you would pay from the other tour reps. They use the fact that the trip will be 'all english' as a selling point but to be honest the best trips I have experienced in other parts of the world have been full of all sorts of nationalities. And you pick up so many other 'english' families from other hotels (thomson like to cram them in on a trip) that the whole experience becomes a chav fest full of bad parents and kids called Kai and Courtney.

Thomson will also tell you that if you book the trips with any other reps then the standards of hygiene (with regards to food) will not be as high as with them. 'THIS IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH' I found out first hand as I went on the sinai by starlight trip through thomson and ate the food and 24hrs later was bed laden with crippling stomach cramps sickness and diarrhea. 12hrs later my wife and daughter came down with the same thing. This ruined 2-3 days of my holiday, thank you thomson......

I bumped into another couple who came on the trip a few days later and they to had been in bed with food poisoning for 2 days after the trip!

So to conclude this could have been an amazing holiday but due to the aging hotel the level of service at the hotel (Khaleed and Muhammad the pool guy were brilliant but 2 out of 200 is not enough) it was not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris M
Erbil, Iraq
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Although very big the hotel is pretty good. The main lobby, reception and bar are very clean look very impressive. We paid a little extra when booking and upgraded to a Junior sweet, this was definitely tired and could do with a face lift as could the accommodation building we were in. By upgrading we were entitled to eat in the "posh" restaurant and having eaten in the normal cafeteria style one or twice with friends I would certainly say the difference is huge!

We had our 6 year old son with us and one of the attractions of this hotel was the advertised "kids club"..... what this turned out to be was somewhere he could go and do colouring in... Oh, and parents had to stay with them, have you ever told a beach and water loving 6 year old they had to stay indoors and do colouring in, when surrounded by fun???? We werent trying to abandon our son at all but just trying to get him involved with other kids having fun together. The annoying thing is the Dutch partner of Thompsons had a cracking kids club who did stacks with them but we wernt allowed to use this as we were with British Thompsons.

The main pool although huge is also a bit tired and looking grubby around the edges, our son contracted an ear infection here for which we almost couldnt fly home, the on site doctor was excellent as was the private hospital we were sent to. In all fairness to Thompsons they were very good in trying to help us with this! Although failed miserably on the kids club side of things......

Finally, the staff are a very mixed bunch drawn mainly from Cairo or Alexandria, some are excellent others are at best just lazy. On occasions in the reception or pool bars as a 50ish year old male I was frequently ignored whilst pretty young things in bikini's or with a big smile got served instantly.... Whilst I understand this! It's pretty annoying!

All in all we had a good holiday, we bought this package at a great price due to the troubles in Egypt, we will definitely go back to Sharm but try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Definately upgrade to a Junior Sweet if you can.
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EODBob
Gourock, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Do NOT be put off by negative reviews as this hotel is excellent and I would love to go again.

Hotel-

The hotel itself is massive. I was there with my boyfriend and we didn't realise until our second last day that there was actually more swimming pools than we had realised! We stayed in a junior suite which was also massive and we were in shock at first at the size of it! As for people saying it's "dated"...sorry, no, it's not dated. It's Egypt, not New York, therefore the rooms are decorated according to Egyptian style! loved it! Only negative thing about the room was the hairdryer which I ended up getting a better bigger one from the reception to use, as the one that was in the room was too small and would of took me ages to dry my hair with.

Staff-

The staff were lovely, I think they are what makes the hotel so great. Always happy to help you and very attentive. They appreciate if you make an effort to at least speak a little Arabic, and I think it's manners anyways. Can't remember many of the staffs names unfortunately, but the lobby bar staff member (I think he was called Mohamed (?)) was excellent, We tipped (probably too much) on the holiday which went a long way as Mohamed would serve us before anybody else if he saw us, and also served us international cocktails that were not actually on the menu. Also, one of the pool attendants would put our towel down for us each morning wherever we wanted and gave us cushions for our loungers which was very kind of him! The only staff member I had a problem was , was one of the room cleaners. We were told if you tipped them they would make fancy towel arrangements on your bed, but after tipping a pound each day we received nothing so ended up not tipping him again. Strange.

Food-

The food was probably the best I've ever had in a hotel, especially the a la carte restaurants. The best a la carte restaurant was the Chinese which we ate in twice. Tasted how you would expect. The Italian was also lovely. Lunch was definitely the best aspect of the food as there was so much choice within the complex, or on the beach. The main buffet would change each lunch time/dinner time so there was always plenty of choice and never was stuck for something to eat. The only downside was the breakfast buffet and It was always the same stuff, but it was still good food regardless and that's just if i'm being picky.

Drink-

Drink was generally fine. Bottled water always on supply which i advise you continually drink through out the holiday or you will become ill. Drinking alcohol at the pool (which i saw a few english do) is stupid, especially in 40 degree heat. The alcohol was quite good...rose wine, cocktails etc. Really what you would expect in an all inclusive.

Pools-

The pools were good, maybe a bit dirty some of them and noticed horrible worms in one of them that would stick to your skin but that was only in one of the pools. However, the main pool was absolutely fine and massive. Try sunbathe at quieter pools to avoid being hassled by the excursion people. One of them called Zidan was a pain and would not leave you alone, even though you had already booked a trip through him the previous day! They will try sell you ridiculous prices, so I would advise booking any trips through your reps as they are much better! Especially the desert safari pack which is a MUST do in Egypt!

Entertainment-

We didn't stay in the hotel much at night and when we did, we were often in bed by 12 anyways as everything died off by 11pm. Mostly Karaoke up at terrace which is terrible (unless you like listening to terrible singers). Saw one show at the hotel which was the fire show and that was great! Would say the entertainment needs to be changed but it's hard with so many different nationalities trying to please everyone so I can understand why it wasn't fantastic. A visit to Soho Square at night time is a must. Excellent shops, bars, and restaurants. Especially the Indian restaurant, tastiest Indian we've ever ate in and well priced!

Overall, this hotel is excellent and worth the money. The staff were lovely and welcoming to their country, and the food/accommodation was spot on. Would love to go back one day and would recommend this hotel to anyone (especially couples) :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jocelyn D
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Having previously stayed at grand azure 4yrs previous we were very surprised that as we waited to check in a waiter approached myself and said I remember you and yes he had remembered us bearing in mind the hotel accomadates 2,500 people per week Akrahm is 1 of the top waiters here he cant do enough for you also the bar staff at the terrace bar were there you will never ever have an empty glass I do not know how they do it but it doesn't matter how busy this place gets when you near the end of your brink a new 1 appears without asking for it NOW THATS WHAT I CALL SERVICE AND WITH A SMILE AS WELL CANT FAULT THIS AND WILL BE RETURNING AGAIN NEXT YEAR .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel is far to big and the main staff favour the Egyptian guests more than the others. Food is ok if you like the same thing everyday. Pools are good and beach bar is the best food at the hotel. The main reason I would come back to this hotel would be because the animation team smashed it every day and night. Especially Aimee, Chicco, Suarez and Kerry. Went out with them in the evenings as well which was funny! Aimee has got to be my favourite tho sorry chaps. She made me play darts which I loved, go to see the shows, even just say and spoke to me such a genuine, lovely girl and the animation team will be my only reason to come back!

• Stayed July 2013