“Fantastic holiday, can't wait to go back next year”

lti Tropicana Grand Azure
Ranked #114 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at the tropicana grand azure from feb14th- 25th. We had the best time every and are re booking for the same time next year.

Reception:
This is probably the only negative I can think of, when we arrived at the hotel we checked In very quickly and were given our bands all very quickly. We then had to sit and wait to be shown our rooms, this was about a 10 min wait, which doesn't seem long but when you've been travelling all day is the last thing you want. However it was soon forgotten once we were shown to our rooms and around the resort.

Rooms:
As said In previous reviews the rooms are a little tired and dated but how much time do you spend In your room. We had 2 superior rooms that were cleaned spotlessly every single day, with clean bedding and towels made into some wonderful creations. My youngest daughter loved coming back from the pool to find a new creation and take a pic of it.

Food and service:
We would like to start by saying a massive thankyou to Akram and Fauod in the restuarants, they work so hard with their team and are great at making everyone happy. They made our holiday that extra bit special. By the time we left for home it was like saying goodbye to old friends, it was quite emotional and never before have we said goodbye to so many people. We thought the food was superb In all the restaurants. We ate In the main restaurant, Italian, Chinese and Mediterranean. We loved how much choice you had In the main restaurant and were amazed at the quality of food as it was cooking on mass. The service In the main restaurant was fantastic, as soon as we had finished our drinks we immediately had new ones there. After the first day we didn't even need to ask for drinks as they were brought over straight away. Fauod and his team of waiters were amazing and so friendly, they always checked every thing was ok, if we wanted more drinks, cleared the plates away quickly. The breakfast In the main restaurant was also brilliant after the first morning we had no need to ask for teas and coffees as they were brought over straight away. As soon as they were finished we had new ones again. Akram was amazing at looking after us In the mornings and at lunch, our teenage daughter was never up In time for breakfast so Akram would make her up a plate of breakfast for her.  Akram was also the head waiter over at the Italian, Chinese and Mediterranean and the service we received there was out standing.

Pools:
You are supplied with towels for the beach and pool, so no need to take your own towels. The pools are all clean and have plenty of room with lots of sun beds. We spent all our time at the dolphin pool, this is where the animation team done their activities. At first we were a bit tempted to move to a different pool but after a couple of days we were joining In with the darts and volley ball games. We found this a great way of getting to know the people around us. Kerry and Timothy were really good at getting everyone involved and having a laugh. Mohamed the pool/towel guy was great as well, He was always chatting to us and offering us Egyptian tea. We felt we made another friend here and was sad to say good bye to him. The water In the pool was cold but it didn't put my youngest and hubby off they spent most of the day In there and if you do find it cold you can rent wet suits from the beach. The water slides at the other pool were great fun as well. There is also a heated pool up near the lagoon swimming pools if your not brave enough. I must say it was quite a ice breaker laughing at each other getting In the cold water. My lot kept everyone entertained pushing each other In.

Snack bars:
There is a beach snack bar that serves burger/fish/hot dog and chips and there is also a sandwich bar near the lagoon pools which serves a selection of sandwich rolls and chips. The guy here some days was rather stressed out about people not bringing his baskets back for the sandwiches. But other than this the food at both of these was good too, however we preferred the main restaurant as there was a lot more choice. Outside the tropicana restaurant at lunch time they make fresh pizza's and pasta which are lovely.

Beach/jetty:
We didn't spend much time at the beach but we did go snorkelling off the hotels jetty a few times. Even the guy on the jetty was brilliant. Our youngest daughter snorkelled for the first time and when he found this out he took her and showed her a nemo fish. We went back the next day and he showed us a octopus, he let our daughter feel it and then put it on my husbands head. The fish you see from snorkelling of the jetty are amazing well worth the walk down there. The water off the jetty was slightly warmer than the pool.

Evenings:
There was evening entertainment however this was not really our cup of tea, our girls went and watched a couple of evening shows and other guests said they were good. We were quite happy In the lobby bar and reception in the evenings, most nights the girls joined us and caught up with their friends on face time and Facebook.

Don't be put off by the few bad reviews, I can't even imagine what the people who wrote them most be like. You can't fault this hotel it's brilliant and I can't wait to go again next year.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Tina H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,030)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Firstly I really don't uinderstand all the negative reviews. This is my fourth time to Egypt and can honestly say this has been my favourite hotel. Yes it could do with some upgrading and refurbishing but the overall experience was great.
Most staff do not expect a tip and when you consider their average wage is equivalent to £100 a month, a pound here and there is very much appreciated. They work very long days and are constantly on the go and are always polite and wanting to improve their english. A particular thanks goes to Hany and Mahmoud (Marrakesh and Shangai restaurants) for going that extra mile and to Zezoin the lobby bar for making the best cocktails.
Food was excellent and grounds immaculate. Rooms were cleaned daily and towels were changed daily.
Would I go again.......given the chance I'd be on the next flight back there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Went here with my wife for week and found it to be very enjoyable - no major worries or complaints. If you choose to go to Egypt you must be prepared for the amount of people / staff who expect tips for their services. It starts as soon as you get to Sharm El Sheikh airport! Literally, as soon as you step outside with your luggage some man or boy will approach you and ask if they can carry your luggage to your coach...for a price. Dont bother, because Ive seen loads of luggage do a disappearing act leaving bemused holiday makers without clothes for the entirety of their holiday. On arrival at the hotel you go through the usual motions - speak to the receptionist, give her your details, get allocated a room. You wait 5 or 10 minutes then a nice gentleman in trousers, waistcoat and tie will come to get you. He will show you to your room and carry your luggage. As usual, when you get to your room that nice gentleman will expect a tip for carrying all of your heavy bags, cases etc. This is the only time I tipped anybody on this holiday. The bloke deserved a payrise after carrying all of the unnecessary crap my wife had packed. Moving on... the only problem I had with this service was the fact that it was only done when we were 'shown' to our room. When it came to checking out again at the end of the holiday, that nice gentleman was no-where to be seen and I had to make 3 ( yes 3 really ) trips backwards and forwards from room to reception with our luggage. This might not sound too bad I hear you all say? well, bear in mind that this is not just a 'hotel block'. Its a massive complex, with about 25 blocks, and around 30 - 40 rooms in each block. Its more like a village than a hotel. From reception to our room took 10 minutes to walk, it was that far away. We had to walk past 3 pools, a restaurant and the live entertainment area to get there, it was that big. The food at this hotel is great. Theres a main restaurant which serves different things every night, and on top of that theres another 3 speciality restaurants - Chinese, Italian and Seafood. You need to book a table at these 3 though, but its well worth it. As this is an all inclusive hotel, you definitely get your moneys worth. The drinks flow free and on the beach there are 2 or 3 places connected to the hotel which serve everything from burgers to toasties and pizza to chips - again, all free so long as you have that band around your wrist. Around the pool you have what i like to call 'towel boys'. These chaps greet you as you get to the pool area, and ask whether you want sun or shade? They then take you by the hand to the spot you have chosen and will lay a nice fresh towel on a sunbed for you. When you've gone brown enough and want to go back to your room you simply hand them the towel back on the way past. Simples. However, on more than one occasion the towel boys offered to give me 2 new fresh towels to take back to my room with me. Apparently, this was so I did not have to queue for towels in the morning when I came back down to the pool. By doing this the towel boys think they are doing you a favour, and guess what they expect for this favour??? you got it, a bloody tip ! One day, I sat and watched these towel boys from my sunbed - they did more tipping than a dumper truck. They must make a fortune. Remember, lots of nations visit Egypt, not just rowdy Brits. Americans were by far the biggest tippers that I saw. I agree with some other reviewers that this hotel should just be a 4 star rating. Where Thompsons get the 4 star 'plus' from is beyond me. It could do with a fresh lick of paint in places and the evening entertainment could do with a change. That being said, I would still go back though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here for a week and I didn't want to leave infact it was so good I'm coming back next year for 2 weeks! The staff are so lovely anything you need they're there! The hotel inside and out is spotless the cleaners are consistently cleaning! The rooms are amazing we got upgraded straight away for no reason! The cocktails are fabulous just ask for a color and they will make it for you! The food is brilliant they have different themes everynight! The pools are so great! The waterslides are really fun! Would defiantly recommend! Lovely staff!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel. Amazingly clean, wonderful food, attentive staff especially in The Aquarium.
Cannot wait to return.
Food delicious in restaurant and the fresh pizza's on the beach are a must to try.
One tip...don't go to The Old Market but do try Soho Square!

• Stayed: February 2013
10  Thank LisaCOYS
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just come back from a week at this hotel can't fault the staff very friendly & attentive without being over the top. Food was very good & it was spotlessly clean but it looks a little bit tired could do with a facelift but that doesn't spoil your stay. This was my first trip to Egypt & I was pleasantly surprised. We did tip the drinks waiter in the lobby area 20 Egyptian pounds (£2.00) a day (you're not supposed to tip too much as this amount is approx half their wages)& the drinks were flowing. It was my husbands birthday while we were there & they gave him a cake & all the waiters did a little show & sang happy birthday to him which was great fun. I would go back here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Louise6462
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I consider myself a regular to Egypt as I have now been 11 times so I have done nearly all the hotels in Nabq Bay.
so any negatives are not through lack of understanding the place or just being Mardy, I am fair and feel like I should get what it says on the tin.

Thomson's say that the Tropicana Grand is a 4star plus, I say 3 star and here is why !!

I travelled with my husband and 10 year old son

Usual Thomson's flight no bother at all, newish plane so it was nice and clean.

Arrival through terminal quick as I know the drill, opted for a taxi instead of provided transport as 3 planes landed together so we would have been waiting ages for everyone else.

Hotel on arrival appeared lovely great check in service offered to be taken to our rooms but we declined as I like to look around whilst cases find there way to the room.

When we got to the room it was in cluster 8 right opposite the kids pool area which was great, straight out every morning right where we would like to be but the room was very poor, we was disappointed.

We had booked a superior twin room as that was what was left so we knew about the beds situation and that our son would have a camp bed that is not really a problem but the overall look of the room was like it was just battered to death.

Clean yes can't say it was not the staff work tirelessly to ensure that you have clean towels and all that but the hotel needs to spend some money on paint and replacing tiles and grout.

The bathroom looked like a public toilet, mucky grout with marks all over the bath so I would not let anyone have a bath, we showered but still had to stand in the bath ,broken tiles , paint crumbling off the walls, holes in the walls where pictures had been.

Like I said I have been to Egypt a fair few times and this is the worst room I have stayed in, we did enquire about upgrading to a junior suite but it was $30 dollars a night each, for that I could have actually booked the Sensatori, next time I will pay the extra as a nice room makes it for me.

Anyway no more complaints, food was lovely, restaurants all fine, never could not get a table, reserved the Italian and Chinese very easily.

Drinks served quickly and frequently by the waiters and they again work really hard and get loads of abuse form the Russians which is so uncalled for, even the Russian children don't have any manners, I always make a point of being extra nice to the staff to prove that us Brits do appreciate that they leave there family's for months so that they travel hundreds of miles to provide for the family's they leave behind.

Pools are lovely really nice, massive yes cold but its February, kids love it and it gets you talking to people as your trying to get in !!

Entertainment were great, met Courtney, Ricky, Anthony, Kerri and Timothy, sorry if I have forgot any, worked long hours, talked to everyone and did a bloody good job.

Beach also lovely no complaints comfy sun loungers, never struggled for a bed, around a great holiday but please spend some money on it, I hate to moan as I love Egypt but I will say again not 4* plus.

Would I go again to that hotel yes but it would have to be a cheap cheap deal to get me to slum it again.

Sorry !!