“Christmas celebrations”

lti Tropicana Grand Azure
Ranked #114 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed at Hotel 15th till 29th Dec . Did not queue for anything the whole stay apart from booking themed restaurants . Staff even better than last year , many thanks to Eslam and Ahmet at the pool bars and to Mohammed in the lounge . Snack bar service equally good . Would like to say the Green Band Aquarium restaurant the same but became very busy on our second week, and there is nothing wrong with the service in the Main Restaurant thank you for the welcome Ashraf . Room very clean and hotel . To cater for all the different nationalities must be very difficult and as a result entertainment within the hotel is limited ,but liked very much the Christmas programme , nice that the hotel goes to the trouble of all the lights , nativity play (real camels), christmas tree and stocking delivered to the room .Stayed 4 times at this hotel not needed the services of a rep from the travel company. Themed restaurants also very good and service very attentive .

Room Tip: go ultra all inclusive and request ground floor room . If booking 2 double rooms request royal suite...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ade42
Write a ReviewReviews (3,030)

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Travelled 11 Dec - 25 Dec. On reading the mixed reviews I was getting a bit anxious on what to expect from this hotel, but I have to say they was nothing to worry about. I wouldn't really call them negatives but not everything is perfect but these seem to be echoed it most of the reviews:
The rooms - yes very dated but kept very clean. Had a problem with noisy air conditioning when first arrived, rang reception and was dealt with immediately.
We upgraded to Junior Suite, although don't think it was really worth it when you compare the costs of standard and upgrade. Reasons we upgraded was more spacious room which was a good size, room service as we don't stay out too late - we was disappointed with this as this is only for a choice of about 6 sandwiches - no drinks, these would have to be paid for although if you went to on of the bars they'd be all inclusive :-/ . Mini bar which is 2 small cans of beer and 2 soft drinks with water, which is restocked daily if use use them. You also get use of aquarium restaurant but to be far we mainly used the top floor of the main restaurant as this was closer to our room, there wasn't that much difference in food (Food was hit and miss probably give 6/10) and the staff in the Marrakesh were amazing, our kids loved them especially Korany on the top floor - first class service every time - we need a Korany in every restaurant in England, nothing was too much trouble, helped with table, drinks - anything we needed we was happy to help - he spoke to chef every time we went in as our eldest son has a nut allergy, our youngest son looked for him every day - wonderful man!
The grounds/pools are fantastic but in winter months there is only on small pool that can be used, the kids were in the pool every day. Rest of the pools freezing including those to the mini aqua park which is on of the reasons we choose this hotel so that was very disappointing but not the hotels fault, Thomson should of told us this, as we did ask if there was any restrictions due to the time of year and was told no!
Beach was fine although didn't used that much. Food available there was good - fish, chips, hotdog etc.
Yes, lots of Russains, but certainly not a problem at all - we made friends with everyone.
Kids club ok, icecream not just kids, we used the billiards bar and table tennis most afternoon s - staff great.
Trips - we booked a few which we really enjoyed one through thomsons - ultimate desert experience - fantastic: sand buggies/quads camel ride dinner in desert, we loved it!
Other we booked through the guys that come round from beach, swimming with dolphins, parasailing, aqua park and glass bottom boat trip - got to say although we spent more than planned we enjoyed them all.
Outside the hotel if you turn right and walk 10mins you'll find starbucks, KFC, Mc Donalds - they will deliver to the hotel. Shop to right 24/7 is much cheaper that the one in the hotel and staff of friendly. Ignore the camel guy outside the hotel - he'll ask if your child wants their photo on a camel then get to camel to stand asking for £50 to get you child back! Shops to left of hotel were good - we did a bit of shopping, again people great, we had a laugh and joke haggling - top guys, really friendly, yes they will try hard for you to buy but we never felt under pressure.
Entertainment in evening not the best and reception/lobby very busy and smokey, but we just made the most of it. Probably better in summer when entertainment if outside.
Overall, the staff are amazing, work hard, friendly, helpful, just fantastic people - couldn't fault anyone. The weather was lovely, all came backed lovely and tanned, bit chilly in evening. Not a perfect 5 star holiday but we really enjoyed it, our 2 boys didn't want to come home, and we would go back.
Happy to answer any questions.

6  Thank Julie186402

This Hotel is by no means the worst, but is certainly not 5* accomodation
Hotel is dated and requires update. Tatty is a word to describe our Jnr Suite. Dirty Carpet, Broken bath, bulbs blown, Security Safe held on the wall by two small screws which can easily be pulled off when the door is opened! Non sliding sliding porch door, peeling paint.

Swimming pools and Slides are tatty around the edges but in general are ok. Its a shame you cant bear more than 5 minutes in them because they aren't heated and are freezing. The only heated pool is crowded and merky due to excessive suncream in it!

Aquerium restaurant (green band only) was very nice, food was well presented and live cooking was quick and efficient.

Staff were excellent in all aspects of service, from the pool staff to the cleaners. Not a bad word to say about anyone.

Childrens club is so dated my children would not step foot in it. The pool tables, football tables are ruined from drinks and not one cue had a tip on it. The carpet was ripped and curled and was dangerous for all who ventured in there.

NYE celebration had a great theme, down on the beach in a huge marquee. Just a shame there seemed to be a bun fight to get to the food. Noticeably was the Russian contingent who you would think had never eaten before so was the amount of food piled on the plates.

Overall a pleasant getaway but nothing more than that. I expect the facilities to be alot better for the money I spent for a family of 4.

Room Tip: Jnr Suite has more than enough room to sleep 2 adults and 2 children. Childrens beds were camp beds.
1  Thank doug P
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Hi myself my hubby and my nine year old son (Sam) have just returned from a fab christmas week. The staff were amazing and very friendly we opted for an ungrade to the junior suite with VIP lounge and resturant and was not disappointed the food was amazing expecially on christmas eve and the best chicken pie that i have ever tasted! my son loved the pancakes had them for breakfast and at dinner time! The room was large and comfortable but has with other reviews could do with a lick of paint There is plenty of pools to sit by but having only one heated pool that did get very busy at times but this did not worry us has we found a suntrap near by and could still see our son plus there was always a life guard to stand watch The beach was nearby and had plenty of sun beds although we did not use them but the beach side food was cooked fresh and was served very quickly and tasted good. We had two amazing trips camel riding in the desert and submarine trip which were both fab. We have never been away at Christmas before and it was our first visit to Egypt we were amazed at how christmassy everthing was a red stocking waiting for us on christmas eve in our room and all the decorations were simply fanstactic santa on a camel giving all the children presents on christmas day was my favourite sight off all (lol) If you are thinking of going to Tropicana at Christmas I would highly recommend im just now trying to convince my hubby to take us in August but dont think it will take to much has he loved it just as much has me.Thankyou to all the staff and look out for us in August the Pride Family xx

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Brilliant Hotel, Brilliant Staff, Brilliant holiday!! :)

I went with my mum.....

When you first arrive you really do walking in and say 'wow!' the lobby is completely breath taking.

Check in: Reception staff were very polite, welcoming and quick. upon arrival we were welcomed with a lovely glass of either pineapple juice or orange juice which was lovely and as soon as your glass was empty the waiter would get you another glass.
We were given a room upgrade which was a lovely surprise, by this time I was completely won over by the staff because although the holiday booking was all in my name, they wanted to see ID because I didn't look old enough to be there! Made my day that did! lol

We were then shown to our rooms.....this was, ummmmmm, how can I put it....... breif! quickly shown a large map, got told off for not looking, then the bell boy told us to follow him. He was in a hurry, could hardly keep up with him, then we got half way down the complex and said 'you two....your building is not this one, not the next, but the next' and left us too it! I was shocked because it took us about 20 mins after to actually find our room because we found our block but there was about 4 different entrances, didn't know what floor we were on and just got completely lost in our building!
When we did eventually find our room we loved it!

Because we had a late night flight, when we arrived we were hungry so we wanted something to eat, knew there was a restaurant still open, but could we find it NO....was there anyone to ask NO could we find our way back to reception NO, o it was fun and games! luckily we found it amusing, had a tour of the hotel complex for about an hour until we found the restaurant! was funny! but if I had the children with me I would not have seen the funny side of it!

The hotel is very clean and tidy. They pool boys are always cleaning the pool and the floors which was quite nice to see.

The waiters in all the restaurants were lovely, in the buffet restaurant all really welcoming and remembered you every time, Hosam, in particular i found the best. (he no longer works at the hotel), He would always reserve a table for me every meal time, even if I wasn't sure if I would be in.....even though they don't do table reservations!
The lobby bar staff were very friendly and made us laugh all the time, one in particular, didn't take his name, but he worked the late night shifts until 11 in the morning. he was so funny and really easy to chat to.

The staff all work really hard and are a credit to the hotel.

The manager was really nice, had a issue, My watch went missing, I think it got caught on my handbag as it often does and got dropped out side the hotel, but the manager insisted he looked into it and checked the key card usage to our room to make sure it wasn't taken. But because this was at the end of our holiday I had to write everything down for him, like the time I last had my watch, when I took it off, when I left the hotel for the evening and when I noticed it was missing. But I am 80% convinced it got caught on my bag & I didn't notice because this has happened to me before at my own house!
But I liked the fact that he insisted he looked into it because they don't tolerate theft at the hotel.

The only down side to this hotel, but it's not even the hotels fault, is if you are close to the beach you will be woken and kept awake by a neighbouring hotels music, it carries on until about 3 in the morning most mornings which really annoyed me cos I also had to put up with my mums snoring! but I caught up with my sleep during the day by the pool!

At the beginning of the holiday we did get a little bit of hassle from guys trying to get you to use the spa or do the diving. But once we started talking they knew I wasn't interested and would then have a nice conversation with me. Mainly because they all thought I was local because of my skin tone, because I am dark anyway, the amount of tourists and staff I met that thought I was from Egypt I wanted to get a tattoo across my head saying 'I'M FROM ENGLAND!' lol. & the amount of times my mum was offered camels for me she would of filled the plane!
I did get a bit of male attention which was flattering, but what was annoying was the fact when I told them I was married,the younger ones didn't seem to care, one in particular we had transferred to a different hotel. Luckily enough I knew how to handle this and ignored it, It didn't really bother me, it bothered my mum more then me.... but then that might have been jealousy! lol
The managers and reps were always more then happy to help and kept asking if we had any more problems, but I didn't see any of it as a problem.

Food in the buffet restaurant was OK, none of it really took to my fancy, but when I'm hot I don't really fancy eating so that might be why.
The downer side to the other restaurants you really do have to book 2 days in advance, they got booked up so quirky we couldn't eat in all of them.

We did venture outside the resort to do a bit of shopping. we went to a clothes shop next to the resort, as you walk out the resort its to the left and about the 3rd or 4th shop along. The bloke was really nice and was happy for us to try things on and pay the next day.
He was so helpful and explained a lot to us about the Egyptian men and tattooing and values, it was really really interesting,That might seem like a random thing to talk about but I got allot of attention because I looked Egyptian and have tattoos and my eyebrow pieced, which Egyptian women don't do, which explained a lot! Anyway, he was so helpful and lovely, that 2 days after my mum bought something she decided she didn't like it he was happy to change it!

I cant comment on the entertainment because we didn't watch any or get involved because after dinner we went straight to the lobby bar and spent the evening there!

There was a day or 2 my mum wasn't very well and spent the time in bed, so I was by myself those days, was a bit worried about being on my own cos the the attention I got, but the staff that I had got to know really looked after me and came and kept me company, kept topping up my drinks looked after my sun lounger when I went to the loo or went for a swim. I even stayed at the lobby bar on my own those evenings and the staff there were just as good if not better...they loved the fact a woman was sitting at the bar on her own! I didn't feel lonely or felt that I had no one to talk too as they all stopped and spoke while they were serving other guests, it got to the point that when my glass had an inch of drink in it they would automaticly top it up while other guests were waiting to be served.....now that's what I call service! :)

I really cannot fault this hotel, the staff are absolutely amazing and work so so hard, they work 12 hour days, 7 days a week for 12 weeks then get a week off which I think is unbelievable because they put everything into their work.

This hotel is AMAZING, I could rant all day about this hotel but it would bore you!

I cannot wait to book another Holiday at this hotel, but I'm a bit of a globe trotter and want to see different places, but this is a country and hotel defiantly on my list of countries to visit again and would highly recommend this hotel, ignore all the bad reviews and make your own judgement, I did and so so so pleased I did!

We did a few excursions through thomson while we were there, we done the ultimate quad biking experience....WOW AMAZING! Quad biking across the desert then at night was so fun! defiantly a must do
We done the submarine boat thing, that was ok, found it a bit boring, it's alright if you like fish or have kids with you.
Then we also on Cairo by air, saw the pyramids etc etc. what an experience that was. A really long day was worth it, but wouldn't do that again in a hurry. Had a security guard with the group the whole time, he was lovely. I don't like being out my comfort zone and I defiantly was then but spent my time with the guard..I told him he goes toilet I go toilet! lol but everything was fine, and felt really safe with our tour guides and the security guard. If you do this and you have and Egyptologyist called Wal-lie (not Wallie!lol, he hated that!) you are really in for a truly amazing time with him. He was so passionate about his country and disgusted about the way their people have treated their country. well worth the money we spent on that trip.

You are really in for a amazing holiday if you book this hotel.

Hope this helps with your decision and if there is anything else I can help with please just message me, I have so much to say about this holiday but don't want to bore you all! lol

Happy holidaying

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
15  Thank bringontheholiday
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I am off to Hurgharda this time around for my winter break and i'm sorry to say i don't like the reviews.So to cheer myself up i thought i would give traveller's an idea of what a good hotel is for the money.
The only drawback of this hotel is the center decoration in the foyuor and the decor of the rooms is a little tired BUT that's it the rest is just GREAT.The staff are always attentive from the management down to the gardeners,and nothing is to much trouble for them. It is the only hotel i have been to where they use food thermometers and you can actually see them recording the data.There are enough pools and bars to keep everyone happy certainly during the winter months,and the burger and fish bars are excellant.
The staff are well versed in keeping a track of who is next in the queue as there are plenty of english holidaymakers there and the staff definately prefer us,so not many srumdowns around the food and drink.Everything you want is in the hotel but if you want to go out there is a MacDonalds, a KFC and a Pizza hut all right next to each other on the main strip , plus two english bars. All in all a GREAT PLACE TO BOOK. Been there three times in the last three years and sorry not to have booked it again for 2012

Room Tip: Ground floor as there are no lifts(3floors per block)
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank BlueyGray
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We have just arrived back from our first holiday to Egypt. We have spent Christmas and New year at the Grand Azure and had the most fabulous time.
Arrival was very easy, with kind and helpfull staff who were extremely organised.
We have 4 children,3,7,9 and 11-There is something for everyone at this hotel,all age groups, Our children were so happy every single day.
The Animation team work extremely hard and are very friendly,and will do anything they can to ensure your holiday is a brilliant one. Big thanks to Deano, Daniel, Kara, Natasha, Alexandra,Gallina, Sam and Vera - our children will always remember you.
Christmas and New Year was very special,Christmas Eve was wonderfull, with the nativity and a really exciting atmosphere.Santa on the beach on Christmas Day was lovely, And New Years Eve was outstanding, A huge marquee, Beautifully decorated, with great entertainment, and food to amaze you! The best way possible to end 2011.

The rooms are great. Every day, our room was cleaned, and we were given new towels and toiletries.

The main restaurant (Marrakech) was perfect. A buffet style restaurant, with a large variety of differant food available daily, each night with a differant country theme. The guys in this restuarant work so hard and never complain,always smile,always help. Korany, a lovely man ensured every meal was enjoyed by our whole family.Watch out for Ahmed and Mahmoud(Ashley Cole!) To all of the restaurant: cleaners,to the chefs, to the waiters, to the managers- Thank you so very much.Our holiday was completed by them,and we feel we have made great friends with them.Saying Goodbye was sad.

We intend to return to Sharm El Sheikh, to Tropicana Grand Azure - This was the most amazing holiday yet and we highly recommend this hotel.