“2nd time here in process of booking 3rd time”

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort
Ranked #67 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
uk
“2nd time here in process of booking 3rd time”
Reviewed January 8, 2007

This is our second visit to this hotel in eight months and I can say that I wouldn’t want to stay anywhere else. We have looked at other places but nothing stands out and the reviews don’t match up with the Hilton.

The Hilton staff have this way of making you so welcome and nothing is a problem for them.

The animation team this time were brilliant and you can see the hard work they have put in to improve the nighttime entertainment. There were at least two acts a night and although some of the acts weren’t to our taste other guests have to be catered to.

Reading some of the other reviews can I say, I always have salad and ask for extra ice in my drink and never had a problem with being ill.

As returning guests we were invited to a meeting with the management team who were all willing to listen to constructive critism and act upon it. A special thank you to Andy and his team for all their hard work and positive, friendly approach.

The dive centre also deserves a mention – if you want to try diving this is the place to do it!

The only negative on this trip was the over whelming presence of some of our fellow Europeans at the resort who were the rudest, loudest most arrogant people we have come across in years!!!!!

We can not comment on the building site next door due to them not working while we were there.

• Liked — clean, staff, food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — use hotel limo service for to and from hotel well worth the money
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank bartsimp321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucks
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We travelled out to this hotel on Christmas Day and were very happy with every part of the holiday.

The location of the hotel is superb - a fairly quiet area despite being close to the airport and right on the beach. It is a short taxi or bus ride from Naama Bay which you must visit at night. Very exciting and lively.

We had a lovely room in the main part of the hotel. The view over the pool and out to sea was perfect. The room was comfortable and clean with a really big en-suite shower room. The bed was very comfortable with a duvet rather than sheets and blankets and a TV with several movie channels. Also tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer (not very powerful, take your own if you have long hair), fridge, safe and heating which we needed in the evenings as it gets quite chilly in December.

The pool and beach areas are really nice. There are quite a few slopes and steps to the different areas so it would not be suitable for the less mobile holidaymaker. There is snorkelling and swimming off of the short jetty and also water sports, boat trips, paragliding etc.

The food in the hotel was good enough without being gourmet and the wine in the restaurant was very drinkable. The drinks in the bars are fine too but not fantastic.

The staff are just a pleasure. Yes it does help to tip the waiters, bar staff, room boy and beach/pool attendant as they really look after you. They really work hard and make you feel very welcome.

There is building work on the site adjacent to the hotel - the whole area is being worked on but we can't say much about it as no-one worked during the week we were there and there was no noise at all.

We would recommend this hotel. The whole holiday exceeded our expectations and we will definitely be returning.

• Liked — Friendly, comfortable and clean
  • Disliked — Food was very average. Could have been better choice and variety of fish on menu
  • Tips/Secrets — Relax and enjoy
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Jimbob&me
UK
Reviewed January 4, 2007

The Hilton is a good 4*hotel for Egyptian standards. Just returned from spending New Year and the weather was lovely. Warm during day and very chilly at night. The good points were the rooms, pools, beach and staff. The slight negatives were the food was ok - not great but no-one in our party had any bugs. The entertainment again is ok - not great.
We'd heard Naama Bay was not good but we found to be no problems, we weren't hassled and there were 8 of us with 4 young children. We ate at Hard Rock cafe and the food was incredibly reasonable, about £3 for a burger! The taxis are white knuckle rides, you do have to haggle.
We went quad biking and everything shakes, I mean everything! We didn't have helmets but were fine.
The one big problem are the flies - take plenty of spray that you can put on your body to deter them. We will return!

• Liked — We had a suite so perfect for families
  • Disliked — The noise of people above flushing the toilet!
  • Tips/Secrets — Book with Hilton reservations for the best deal.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank frits
Suffolk UK
Reviewed January 4, 2007

My friend and I - mid 40's ladies stayed at this resort for one week in June 2006. I cannot understand why it has such good reviews as I cannot think of many positive things to say. It did not help that I became very ill on the 2nd day - a water borne virus picked up in the resort as we did not go out of the resort. Do not have ice in drinks and any salad / food that is washed in the local water. On departure we discovered it was not just us that got ill - the whole reception was full of complaining people. My friend who is an Intensive care nurse was able to get the correct medication prescribed for me but it took a couple of weeks to fully recover. The food was terrible and we could find little that we could eat. The standard of hygeine was unacceptable and the sheets on the bed turned over instead of being changed! We purchased a glass sand picture - made by the guy at the pool and when we returned to our room found that the housekeeper had broken it and tried to hide the glass! - The Management however did acknowledge this and replace it. The one positive thing I can say is the pool was pleasant. Having stayed at many All Inclusive resorts round the world this is the worst I have experienced. As a previous reviewer mentioned there is hardly any beach and it is steep steps to get down to it. Having returned to the UK I complained to the Hilton Group and got an apology! I recently read the current reviews on this resort to see if anyone else had had a similar experience and decided it was time to post mine.

• Liked — the pool area
  • Disliked — food
  • Tips/Secrets — don't bother
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank debSuffolkUK
Folkestone, Kent
Reviewed December 22, 2006

A brilliant place to stay for all ages. I strongly reccomened the hotel to anyone who wants a nice, friendly and comfortable stay in Egypt away from the busy streets of Cairo and Alexandrer. Great for everyone.

Stayed December 2006
12 Thank bethybaby
london
Reviewed December 18, 2006

We had an excellent time at the sharks bay resort. i must say a BIG THANK YOU to all the people who reviewed this hotel. we read all the reviews and decided to book with hilton sharks bay and i must say that we did not regret it for a single moment.

The service in the resort is the best i have experienced, its the little things that the staff do that make you feel like a valued guest. The towel designs were very amusing, my 18mnth daughter liked them very much. the staff are so friendly with children.

The food was of excellent quality, everyday there was something different to try, i highly recommend the Italian restaurant, the pizzas were delicious made to order. the kitchen staff were excellent they manage to remember how you like ur eggs the next morning!! even though they serve so many guests!!

A big thank you to mohammed hamid in the mahfouz restaurant, akram in the pool bar and andy the food and beverages director who took time out to sit with us in the shisha lounge, which has amazing views by the way.

we also did the cairo trip by plane that was brilliant especially going into the pyramids!!! Experience of a lifetime, our guide was excellent, also the khan al khalil market is a must for cheap buys, naama bay in sharm el sheikh was very tacky and we didnt like the atmosphere, the sellers were very intrusive and were quite difficult to ignore. Haggling is a must offer them 1/3 of the price they quote!!

The steps down to the beach at the resort are a bit perilous especially with a baby in tow, the noise from the building works were distracting at first but u get used to it and do not notice it after a while ... but being able to see the fish and the coral in the water more than makes up for it. also a really nice aspect of the hotel was that there was designated sleep zones all around the hotel and beach where you could just take a quick nap in the shade.

There are many water activities, we did the glass bottomed boat trip, snorkelling and parasailing

Lastly a note for muslim families that are looking to travel here, I could not recommend this resort enough, as a muslim family ourselves we experienced the best service from everyone, all the meat is halal and u can also request non-alcoholic cocktails!!! There is also a mosque in concorde el salam next to the hilton resort. A lot of Egyptians visit the resort as well so it is not uncommon to see women in hijab sitting by the poolside next to people in swimwear! 

Also being a hilton honours member has its perks in this resort, we were sent drinks cakes, dates and other snacks sent to our room on a daily basis, we
we are definitely goin to go back again next year!!

• Liked — staff service
  • Disliked — lack of female staff at the beauty treatment
  • Tips/Secrets — there r mosquitoes
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
20 Thank SHARIFA81
uk
Reviewed December 18, 2006

We have just returned from a weeks stay between the 10th and 17th of Dec and wanted to share our experiences with you.

We arrived on the Sunday evening and were met by our fleetway / spring tours rep. We were helped through customs and got our visa sorted and were on the coach to the hotel in no time at all! We paid 15 pound for our transfers per person, however we soon realised that we were only across the road from the airport. Nevertheless I believe that it was value for money for the service we received. 5 minutes later we were at the entrance of our hotel and were greeted by a friendly porter and reception staff.

Once to our room (1044) we realised that we had a sea view room which was brilliant once morning came! The room was clean and spacious and all the items/appliances were in good working order. Both wife and I agreed that the bed was very comfy- especially after a day out drinking/ walking /sightseeing! There was only one thing that stopped us having a good nights sleep and that was the fridge, the noise was awful (it can be switched off but not ideal if you want to keep your water cool for the next morning). The shower was quite powerful and we enjoyed that, but the water felt almost oily so it felt as though you hadn’t actually washed properly- I would suggest taking some sort of exfoliating scrub and a body polisher (those ruffled squidgy things to really cleanse the skin).

The maid service during our stay was excellent and we couldn’t fault it, you can see a lot of care and attention goes into their work and the towel art was a lovely touch! We went down for lunch and weren’t feeling adventurous so just had pizza which wasn’t too bad at all accompanied by some beers for me and white wine for my wife. The drinks weren’t too bad-we recommend the cocktails- very nice especially if you get extra mango and guava juice put in! After that we went for a wander around the resort and found the sunset bar by the beach and had a few drinks there with a couple we had met earlier that day on the coach to the hotel. The view from the bar is amazing at night.

Next morning we started to realise that the resort wasn’t as busy as I had expected (only a quarter full) which I enjoyed… Breakfast was buffet style. I would recommend the pancakes and omelettes which the chef cooks just the way you want it. The waiting staff were excellent and we befriended a couple of them from each of the restaurants. They were friendly and helpful and so we decided to tip them on our last day. After breakfast we decided to go down to the beach. As already stated there is building work going on next door which you can hear only from the sunset bar and beach area. We got used to it really quickly and were able to ignore it for the rest of the holiday without any problems. On the topic of noise, even with the airport being so near by, we didn’t really notice the sound of planes. The beach is very small although there are sun lounges on terraces over looking the beach with sand around them. We really loved sitting on the jetty and watching all the variety of fish that swam around. On our last day we saw a few lion fish as you can see from our pictures. We did some snorkelling just off the hotel’s jetty and saw a variety of fish including a spotted stingray on the surface but at a safe distance. The snorkelling equipment was of a good standard at the hotel and you only require a deposit which is returned.

If you are the type of person that likes to sit in the sun and relax next to the pool bar etc, then you will love the resort. The large pools are not heated however the kiddies pool complete with water slide is heated. You cannot hear the building work at all from these areas so you can relax and read a book or just relax. My wife and I are quite active and after trying out the Jacuzzi and Sauna facilities, decided to head out to Naama bay on our second night. We decided to use the hotels own shuttle bus facility. This runs from Hilton sharks bay to Hilton Naama bay- you are not dropped off anywhere random. Once there we got into the hustle and bustle and were on the hunt for some deals on excursions. If you don’t want to be hassled you can just say no thanks or better still ‘la shukran’ (no thanks in Arabic). Make sure you steer clear of the ‘please come and sign my guest book’ or ‘here’s a free present’ scams which is a way to lure you into their shops, and make you feel pressured into buying items such as perfume/essential oils etc. Naama bay is reasonably safe to be around at day or night as there is a lot of police presence, just like any other city you just need to have your wits about you. We went into Naama Bay about 7 times and about 4 of those visits were at night so we felt quite safe and the locals were friendly enough.

Once back at the hotel we enjoyed the evenings entertainment in the chill out bar. The animation team are very hard working and genuinely friendly people and they are the real heros of the resort. The evening entertainment might not be to everybody’s taste as they are trying to appeal to a large audience from different nationalities, however it wasn’t too bad and we enjoyed the Russian and Egyptian shows!

First mention of Russia I hear you say? The percentage of Russian guests in the resort was about 50 percent and we didn’t really have any run ins with them to be honest. I’ve worked in Germany so I’m used to being first at the bus stop but somehow being the last person on! We were on holiday and not in a rush to get to most places (this is the point where my wife would laugh out loud). We spoke to the staff who confirmed that the Russians are indeed rude and disrespectful to the staff. I don’t like stereotypes and give each Russian the benefit of the doubt.

I really cannot think of anything to moan about at the hotel in general and am really clutching at straws when I say that the pool cue was broken at the sunset bar, and took a couple of days to be replaced. That’s really about it.

Outside of the hotel we went to Ghibli raceway (Naama bay) for a spot of go karting with the couple we met on our first night. This was really good fun. Karts and equipment were in very good condition. We decided to go during the day which cost about 10 quid for 15 minutes which transcribes to about 16-17 laps. They do race events as well and can be booked day or night, however night is a little more expensive due to popularity or lighting costs I think.

We also went to cleo park which is a water park which I think was really one for the kids or big kids. I enjoyed it but on the day we went it was a bit cooler and the wind picked up so we felt cold when out of the water. The park was quite expensive at 15 quid per adult so I think you need to spend at least half a day there to get your money’s worth.

We booked our first excursion (Quad biking) through our fleetway tour operator as I wanted to make sure we were safe and the equipment was up to standard. We received helmets and a quick intro before setting off. We came prepared with our own scarves and wore jeans, trainers, long-sleeves and brought some water along with us. Ladies wear a supporting bra! Trust me, my man boobs were wobbling all over the place! (tip from the misses- stand up when riding over the bumps, this will make it less painful!) We stopped at two points to take pictures and get refreshments, the views were amazing and terrain reminded me of star wars. Make sure you go for the sunset tour so you can enjoy it and the view of the stars.

If you want to do excursions then you will find better value for money with tour operators in Naama bay. We booked the Cairo by bus tour for 30 pounds each after haggling which is half the price of our rep. The pyramids were awesome and tutankhamoon’s mask just took my breath way! The trip was long and we were exhausted afterwards but, I would definitely recommend it. If you decide to do Cairo try to arrange it for a Friday or Saturday as these are the rest days and you wont get stuck in traffic in Cairo for 2 hours. We booked with company called Marko in Naama bay opposite Hard Rock cafe. Tip: Take ear plugs, socks and snacks if you go via coach- they only stop once, it can feel quite cold in the early hours (our coach set off at 1:15am).

Our final excursion was with a company called Cataract in Naama bay opposite Pacha. We went snorkelling around Tiran Island. Our boat was not too busy with only 12 guests and about 6-8 staff onboard. Me and my wife received one-to-one service from our guide who helped us around the coral and took our pictures for us. I’m not a strong swimmer and the water was a little choppy for me. We saw a lot of fish which we ticked off our fish chart. A German family aboard told us that Ras Mohammed was a better snorkelling destination however we never had enough time to go there. One tip is to bring your own equipment before you come out. We hired the equipment and our masks were filling up with water and this slightly ruined the experience. I had my mask on really tight and this still didn’t help. Someone told me that this could be due to my facial hair, but what about my misses???

Overall we had a brilliant holiday thanks to the staff and facilities at Hilton Sharks Bay and I think one week was enough to sample the delights of Sharm El Sheikh and surrounding area. Sharm El Sheikh reminds me a little of Las Vagas, the city out of the desert appealing to the tourist market.

• Liked — staff and faciities
  • Disliked — tourist trap location
  • Tips/Secrets — haggle and haggle hard