“Amazing Hotel, Amazing Staff, Rubbish Food!!”

Ranked #68 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Just returned from a weeks stay at Hilton Sharks Bay. After religiously reading these reviews in the build up to my holiday i thought it was only fair i would write my own when i returned.
Firstly, if you are traveling with Thomas Cook, it comes with a great benefit in the form of AMR the rep. He is exactly what you would need in a rep, offering you use of his laptop or mobile freely if needed and completely understands any needs you have.
As soon as you arrive at the Hotel is it clear that the staff are very well experienced and make you instantly feel safe and welcome, taking you in a golf cart to your room whilst also showing you around the resort.
We decided to stay in the old side, the room was average and had everything that you needed however if we returned we would definitely stay in the new side as the the rooms seemed much more modern. We did however prefer the pools and bars on the new side and the beach was also really close by. Traveling between both sides can be tiresome in the heat, however there is a bus service that goes between hotels that comes in great use.
The animation team around the pool are brilliant and make your day each time they come around! Special mention to Micho, who was so funny and even got launched in the pool and found it hilarious each day!!!!
The only downfall of the hotel is the food! Breakfast time is the worst with only bread and lurpack butter being familiar! Lunch is not too bad but dinner is awful with the only english food being chip, which were not cooked like they should be. We gave it a go though for the first two nights however we then got really iill and couldn't face the food no-more.
Luckily McDonalds and Pizza Hut deliver, call from your room and they call when they arrive at the gate! The food is same as english and also priced the same! Little tip for the delivery driver and he made sure your food was there faster the next night!
Finally Quad Biking trip is reccomended as it was amazing!!!

2  Thank kellyseddon_18
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday and for your feed back on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests.

Please note that there are 5 restaurants each with different menus, which change regularly and do not over lap each other. Our main restaurants change its menu daily, whilst other restaurants change on regular basis to avoid repetition. There are also two further all inclusive restaurants, an Italian and Bedouin; this gives our guests a broad range of meal to choose from.

In respect of your stomach upset, the hotel is HACCP compliant undergoes monthly external Health and Safety audits, where our results are deemed as excellent. Upset stomachs are not necessarily a result of food, but can be combination of many reasons. To further insure our guests’ satisfaction we also have a resident doctor on site 24 hours a day.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sharks Bay in the very near future.

Yours truly,

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We - my husband, 13 year old daughter and myself - returned from the Hilton Sharks bay yesterday. Having stayed there on around 6 occasions previously we knew what to expect. The hotel accommodated us in a room on the deluxe side of the complex in the block we requested. They collected us from the airport - excellent service as ususal. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable - cleaned on a daily basis and numerous displays of towel art for us to enjoy ( I am sure somewhere there is a 'towel art school') The restaurants were great as usual - for dinner there was always something we liked and you have to bear in mind this is Egypt so you won't get typical english fayre - we particularly enjoyed the vast array of soups. Breakfast is a help yourself buffet so from cereal to pastries to various types of eggs; fruit; yoghurt there is plenty to choose from. The pools were wonderful and we enjoyed using the small pool on the old side nearest the beach - it never got crowded and was a lovely haven. The beach was virtually deserted, which again was lovely. The snorkelling on the house reef was excellent - we saw blue spotted rays, a massive napoleon fish and a whole host of other sea creatures. We also went on a snorkelling trip to Tiran Island and snorkelled in the South Laguna - it has to be one of the most beautiful places on this earth - warm azure sea, shallowish sandy bottom with beautiful coral pinnacles and fish in abundance - and no I didn't worry about a shark coming to eat me frankly, statistically speaking, there is more chance of me being hit by a bus than being consumed by a shark. My husband dived with Sinai Dive - as he does on every visit and he said his dives this visit were by far the best he has ever had, he saw shoals of puffa fish, jack fish, barracuda and even a hammerhead Shark and a black tip reef shark and no he wasn't worried about being eaten either. None of us suffered with bad stomachs or illness but then we drank plenty of water and drank alcohol limitedly and didn't get too much sun. The one thing that makes the Hilton Sharks Bay worth visiting time after time are the people - the staff.. - if you have been there more than a couple of times they always remember you........from the guys in the restaurants to the guy on the beach with towels to the bus drivers to the staff in Sinai Dive - they are all there to make your holiday enjoyable. It depends on what you are looking for from your holiday but if you want relaxation in a good hotel with good food, excellent service and value for money then I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

1  Thank BertieDerbyshire
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 1 week and it was a good week and I want to share my experience with you, upon arrival I was welcomed by Mr.Basem from the reception and was very nice and welcoming, after that I knew that the hotel is composed of two parts, the old part and the new part, the old part is the one on the beach side.
Old part: this part has the beach, it's not really a beach as it's not baved, it's a dock for snorkling and swimming but there is no long baved beach and the unmbrells are on steps to have a view of the sea for the largest number, and there is also the sea sports center with Parachoot, banana and many other sports, the old part has a smaller pool but I liked it as it's 195 cm in depth which is more suitable for swimming freely and also diving lessions. there also you can find the diving center, Egyptian restaurant, pool bar, volley ball and a gym

New Part: the new part has a very big swimming pool, largest one I have ever seen making almost most of the rooms having a pool view which is really great, but the bad thing is that the pool is maximum 1.20 m in depth which was abit disappointing for me, however I enjoyed it especially with those two nice small slides adding more fun, the pool was clean and one of the pool are sea like, with sandy beach and gradual depth. the new part also has a gym spa, 2 pool bars, two other bars in the reception, small diving center, tennis court and mini gold area.

Restaurant: food in the restaurant was the worst thing in the hotel, food is not very good and not much varieties, but you will find something that you will like but not many things, no much fruits, the staff in the restaurant are very good, friendly and helpful, they rembebered the name of my 1 year kid and were always welcoming us and offering help, I want to mention the names of Mohammed, Ahmed and Youssef as they were very freindly.

Rooms: room is clean, wide and bathroom is very good, I liked the room.

Overall: overall I enjoyed my vacation there very much and the most special thing is the staff which are very helpful and freindly

Comments: The hotel is so calm at night and abit boring, they are making some parties in the Olymbic bar but this is not a very wide place, I suggest they make such parties in the open area to gather more people and add more fun to the night.

2  Thank ahmadyusuf
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Dear Sir and Madam,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable. We have taken notes of your comment regarding the food and will pass it on to our Executive Chef for action.

Yours truly,

Reviewed July 26, 2011

I have just returned from a 1 week stay at the Hilton Sharks bay and it was fantastic. We were really fortunate to be allocated a room over the new side of the hotel. The room was lovely, really spacious, bathroom was clean with a shower and separate bath. And the beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel! Air-conditioning was really powerful and the widescreen TV had plenty of UK channels. We had a balcony over looking the pool, again this was really spacious and well kept with a table and 2 chairs.
The pool area was lovely and really well kept, as were the gardens surrounding it. There were constantly people clearing away any rubbish and keeping the place tidy. The pool bars, the Wave and the Splash, were great for a little lunch time snack and a few cocktails!
The food in general at the hotel was nice. On a few occasions there would be a BBQ outside the main restaurant cooking chicken and lamb fresh for you - which was so tasty! The main restaurant did get a little samey at times and could get a little crowed, the hotel was not full when we were there but in the height of the season I imagine this could get a little to much. The Italian restaurant on the old side of the hotel was great the food here was fantastic and it was nice to have a bit of table service!
All the staff at the hotel were so friendly and helpful. They really couldn't do enough for you and made you feel so welcome. The Animation staff were fun and the water aerobics they put on was a great way to break up the sun bathing! One of the best things about this resort was you weren't pestered. I have been to Egypt 5 times now and I have had different experiences with staff. However here at the Hilton Sharks Bay they have a really good team how are genuinely there to do whatever they can for you. I was there with a friend of mine (2 women alone) and I did have my reservations however all the staff made us feel safe and comfortable.
The only down side of this resort is the old side. Thompson were naughty not to tell us there is extensive building work/repair work going on over the old side. If I had been allocated a room over there I would not have been happy. However the Sunset bar over the old side was out the way of this and an absolutely fantastic venue for chilled out evening drinks.
Buses run frequently between the old side and the new side and you are taken by golf buggy when you check in/check out. It's little touches like this that make you feel looked after.
Soho square is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and defiantly worth a look. Completely different to nama bay (no hassle from anybody). There is so much to do, ice skating, cinema, bowling they even have a Queen Vic!
Just a tip - I didn't bring any mosquito spray as I had never been bitten out in Egypt before however on my first night I got 26 bites on my legs!!! So take plenty of spray and cream to keep them at bay!!!
All in all The Hilton Sharks Bay was a great resort and I would have no hesitation going back. I believe that once the building work on the old side is complete this will be a fantastic hotel in an amazing place!

Room Tip: Make sure you insist on a room over the new side!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank hannahjon21

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Having read up on many hotels in Sharm, we decided that this one was probably our best choice, despite some negative feedback from others on here.
I do not understand why anyone would have any reason to complain if you have read up and know what to expect from a holiday in Egypt.
We booked last minute with Thomas Cook, including flights and transfers and staying at the Hilton Deluxe (newer side) for one week in July.

We had a slight wait for our room but were shown to the pool-side bar where we could start making use of the all inclusive facilities until it was ready.
Our room was very spacious, clean and with our own controlled air conditioning. We had a balcony view of the pool area, a double bed, a walk-in shower and a bath. More than we were expecting.
The room service was excellent, re-stocking our fridge with water every day and making beautiful displays out of the towels for us.

The three pools on our side of the hotel were large, clean and with many choices of sun beds. There are signs to advise that you cannot reserve a bed before a certain time in the morning and beds left unattended for more than 45 mins would have the towels removed. This wasn't necessary throughout the stay as there were plenty to choose from, but nice to know if we came back at a busier time we wouldn't have a problem.

There are two pool-side bars, the staff are extremely helpful, courteous and friendly and there were plenty of drinks to choose from.
We mainly stuck to the local draft larger and bottled water. It is served in half pint sized plastic cups, but this is on a poolside where glass would be dangerous and it was so hot I imagine a pint would have warmed before I had chance to drink it.
The food was also very tasy and cooked very well and all drinks kept in a chilled unit.

The main restaurant is clean with a wide variety of foods on offer, with many hot choices, salads and cold dishes, side dishes, bread, fruit, puddings, cakes, ice creams and there was never an unreasonable queue either to get in or while waiting for food, even at the carvery and BBQ nights.
There is also plenty to choose from for breakfast. If you ever needed a packed lunch for day trips, this is no bother either.
The waiter staff were all also extremely polite, helpful and friendly as were the serving staff. I ate everything, including the salads and not once did we have any stomach problems.
We also ate one night at the Il Rustico Italian restaurant, very tasty and a nice change from the buffet style restaurants. We did not bother with the Taste of Asia as this was not part of the all inclusive.

There are two bars to choose from of an evening, one which allows children and has entertainment on, the other being adult only and a much quieter relaxed environment where you can be served drinks at your seat rather than having to go to the bar each time.

The shops on site all had a no-hassle guarantee, and while not the best prices for the resort if you take into consideration the taxi fare to the market, it was quite reasonable.
There is also a bank on each side of the hotel where you can simply change your larger bills for smaller ones for tips if you want to.

We hardly used the facilities on the other side, other than the shops and access to the beach. There are 2 beach bars, and free snorkelling gear to use off the jetty around the coral reefs on the beach. This was amazing, it’s just like putting your face into a tropical fish tank, very clear clean waters and lots of fish who were not shy around swimmers. We also booked the Ras Mohammed Coral Reef snorkelling trip through the Thomas Cook rep. Definitely worth going on, separate review submitted for this.

On the first night we booked a spa treatment, with a little persuasion 30% less than the first price he offered. We had a sauna, coconut body scrub, heat wrap and full body massage.

We didn’t bother with any of the other excursions or activities, we just had a very lovely relaxing holiday and we would definitely consider going again.

On the Deluxe side, yes you can hear the planes from the airport, but this did not disrupt our holiday. On the older side there was some works going on to upgrade, but nothing of any real concern.

We did not tip the bloke at the airport who lifted our case onto the coach, and we did not receive any hassle for not doing so.

Our Top Tips

- Girls, if you’re comfortable going topless round the pool you will get a lot less hassle from the spa/excursion touts. Alternatively, just say no thank you and avoid further eye contact.
- A big thank you to Ahmed Ramadam and Yousef in the restaurant and to Mohammed, Yehia and Amir at the poolside bar/Q Bar for making our holiday fantastic with your excellent service, great banter and Arabic lessons.
- We avoided ice, but ate and drank everything else. Drink plenty of bottled water, all day, even when drinking alcohol of a night.

Room Tip: I would advise if possible to have a first floor room as apparently you are less likely to have mosq...
1  Thank Jo_and_Ben_2011
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My family had a fantastic holiday in the hilton sharks bay this july, the hotel is lovely and food very nice.
All staff were very friendly and made me, my husband and children feel very welcome. Would like to say a big thank you to every one at the hotel for a lovely holiday and a big thank you to all of the animation team for making the holiday so much fun.
Special thanks to mido who was especially friendly, fall of life and great fun to be around.
He made such a good atmosphere around the pool and at the shows. We would love to come back and see him again soon.
Mido the animation leader was also very friendly as were all the team.
Keep up the good work, Hopefully see you all very soon.

4  Thank 4unja
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just returned after 2 weeks.stayed on new side in block 400,s.Room was excellent with massive bed lovely view.Food is adequate although not to our taste but we never went hungry.Ate at the italian a couple of times which was excellent.My partner went down with stomach bug for 8 days and so did quite a few other people we spoke to but dont think it was the food as i ate the same things and was fine.The staff here make this hotel,they couldnt do enough for my partner when they knew she was ill and they were all helpfull and always had a smile despite the long hours they do.Special mention to mohamed who works at the relaxing pool and hamdy in the restaraunt,they are stars.all the resort is now open although refurb work is going on in the old side rooms but you cant hear or see it.Entertainment at the hotel is a bit dismal so we tended to walk into soho square (10 min) or we went to naama bay a couple of nights (lots of hassle).Would go back but probably a bit later in the year as there are a lot of locals there who treat the staff like rubbish and have a total disreguard for rules.Overall we enjoyed our holiday and the staff are brilliant.

5  Thank gibster10