“Fab-u-lous!”

Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #3 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed April 27, 2007

One of the most amazing hotels I have stayed at. Service was impeccable--from the poolside staff, to the restaurants, to the dive center. I was only there for 3 days but possibly the 3 most luxurious days of my life!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChiTwnGirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,728)

Reviewed April 19, 2007

We visited this fantastic hotel for 7 days prior to Easter this year and would highly recommend it.
As a family with two pre-teen children we opted for the two bed faimily suite which was clean and spacious, two bedrooms (very comfy beds with lovely thick duvets), two well appointed bathrooms, living area and small kitchen, it was ideal for us.
You will have read about the amazing service at this hotel and it really is the best we have ever experienced, nothing is too much trouble for the staff, we particularly liked the free iced drinks/cool cloths offered at the pool and the way that the pool attendant replaced towels on the sunbeds if they were looking wet!

Restaurants: The main buffet restaurant had a very good selection of themed nighs, we could always find something the children liked, the Italian restaurant is very special, I would recommend the courtyard tables. We also loved the Reef Grill, such a fantastic setting by the sea. Meals are very expensive but as we always stay at quality hotels we expect this, we did think the wine was overpriced, £40 sterling for a bottle of Pinot Grigio!

Environment: The grounds of the hotel are immaculate, there must be hundreds of staff maintaining the flower beds and walkways. Most of the rooms/villas are set around beautiful interlinking courtyards village style.There are two huge, warm lagoon style pools which the children adored, they are 1.4m deep so children need to be able to swim well. The hotel is on a fairly steep hill so we took the tram (great fun) up and down to the small beach area. You can't swim directly fro the beach due to the reef, you must enter the water from a jetty, it was quite rough and cold while we were there, so not suitable for small children but the snorketlling and diving is lovely, so much to see.
The Hotel has its own water treatment plant so everything is safe and very clean.
We didn't go outside the hotel so we didn't see the real Egypt other than at the airport, we had paid our tour operator for the VIP service which took us to the front of all the queues - worth every penny! I am sure we will be going back next year this is the Four Seasons at its very best.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank Family_Herts
Reviewed April 19, 2007

From the moment i arrived (after leaving the disgusting airport)
it was utter luxury and indulgence. It is one of the few places i would recommend for a relaxing girlie holiday in Egypt as the staff are proffessional and other hotels i have stayed in with friends we have been hassled to death by the staff.
The rooms were amzing and everything you could want for is catered - from the water bought to you in cool boxes to the dive center which carries your equiment and the cooling water sprays around the pool. I had an amazing time!!! However the prices seem to vary greatly and from the UK i personally would not pay more the £700 as the hotel is not cheap when you get there adding up the spa treatmens, lunches and dinners you must account an extra couple of hundered at least. Also specify you want the four seasons bus when you book otherwise you get stuck going to all the other hotel drop offs which is a pain.
And finally as all the tap water is drinkable it is one of the only places you feel you wont get egyptian tummy unlike all the other vomitting people on the plane.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cleopetra
Reviewed April 15, 2007

My husband and I and two teenagers have just returned from a most wonderful stay at Four Seasons Sharm. Nothing could have been better. I have stayed in some luxurious hotels in the Far East but nothing unrivals this hotel. My sincere thanks go to the wonderful staff who were courteous, polite and willing to do anything and everything possible, especially Amir the beach boy and Amr the Restaurant Manager. I could write pages on this beautiful place, I actually think that I left some of my heart there!
It is expensive yes, very, but worth every penny. A definite "go back" hotel. Thank you, Four Seasons, we loved you.

• Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank JulieLightwater
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Just returned from my third visit to this wonderful hotel. Two prior visits were solo dive trips in mid August with the hotel at <50% occupancy. This trip was with my family (wife and two young kids) in the midst of spring break/easter vacation with the hotel at 100% occupancy. Whether full or far less than full, the service at this beautiful hotel is what really sets it apart -- the staff is truly welcoming and the service level approaches perfection (it does, admittedly, come a bit closer to perfection when half full then completely full).

You will see from reading the reviews just how good this hotel is. Rather than enhance the numerous superlatives, I will focus on what I see as the top reasons to choose, and NOT to choose, the Four Seasons Sharm for your vacation. And then conclude with some hints for those who choose to go. This is, simply, by far the best hotel (and the only real 5 star hotel) in Sharm.

Top Reasons to choose Four Seasons Sharm:

1. The service. Whether full or nearly empty, service is superb throughout the resort. From the welcoming cool towel and fruit drink when you arrive for check in to the sincere "good bye and see you again" that you receive at check out, you are truly made to feel welcome here. Poolside service is excellent and includes frequent offers of free fruit, cool towels and sun glass cleaning (a bit over the top, I admit). Restaurant service is also first rate. Even when the hotel is full, my request for a special Egyptian dish (called kushari -- highly recommended) that was not on the menu was eagerly and deliciously prepared by the executive chef and presented with relish by the wait staff.

2. The landscaping. The grounds are just stunning and are manicured to the point of perfection. The resort cascades down a hill with a stream running down the center of the resort, arabic/moghul style fountains decorating many paths, hundreds of palms everywhere, thousands of flowering plants (whether in March or August) and some of the greenest, fullest, weed-free lawn I have ever seen.

3. The design. Unlike most of the hideous, sprawling, white monstrosities that decorate most of the Sharm coast, the Four Seasons' tan villas and major buildings are carefully terraced down the hillside and incorporate myriad local design elements. Beautiful arabic-style lanterns, delicate woodwork screens, ogee arches, and other arabic design elements combine to create a fairyland.

4. The pools. There is a large pool at the bottom of the resort near the beach, flanked by a kiddy pool and a hot tub (although not so hot when I was there- one of the few flaws of the place). A lap pool is by the spa for adults. Another large pool, also flanked by a kiddie pool, is at the top of the resort among the family suites. The large pools are kept at a balmy 90 degrees, perfect for swimming on cooler spring days.

5. Abundant chairs. Even when the resort is full, you will find a chair. It may not be exactly the location you want, but I strolled down to the beach many times in mid-day and was able to find a comfy place to sit with an umbrella and space around me. As one previous reviewer noted, there does seem to be a bit more package tours during spring break than at other times and this seemed to increase the "beat up paperback on the chair at 7AM to reserve" syndrome. But it really isn't necessary. When the resort is not full, there are chairs everywhere. And cabanas, too (no extra charge for cabanas, by the way).

6. A terrific kids club and a welcoming environment for kids. Located at the top fo the resort amidst the family suites. Staffed with caring, attentive women (some of the few female workers in the resort, by the way) who really seem to like the kids. Plenty of activities -- soccer, tennis, arts and crafts, playground time, swimming and end of day movies with popcorn -- with a lifeguard present to ensure safe swimming. The kids club is available at no charge, is open to any potty-trained kid (the website says age 5 and up, but potty trained is the real minimum requirement for entry) and even includes a free buffet lunch. The free kids buffet lunch is available, in fact, to all children, even those not in the club. Staff at the resort are very kid friendly.

7. Food. Excellent. Great buffets at Restaurant Arabesque (yes, I know "great" and "buffet" rarely go together, but here they do), fine dining at the Italian, a nice poolside cafe. The Arab theme night has a nice Egyptian band and a belly dancer (cliched, but fun).

8. Housekeeping. Twice daily visits keep your room pristine. After a day or two, you will start to notice odd things -- the shirt that you casually threw on the chair is folded when you return from dinner, the toilitries you spread messily across the vanity are lined up in size order. There are no silly towel creatures left on your bed here -- just perfect and spotless housekeeping. Need something special done - help is on the way in minutes.

9. DIving. The local dive shop is superb (but - no surprise - the most expensive Sharm). Great equipment, excellent staff and, of course, Sharm, Tiran and Ras Mohammed offer some of the best diving in the world. Remember, though, that the water is cold in Winter/Spring. In March, most instructors were in dry suits to stay warm, with guests in at least 5mm full wetsuits (and often a 3mm shortie over it to keep fully warm).

Top reasons not to go to the Four Seasons:

1. You want a kid-free environment during spring break. There are plenty of quiet nooks to escape too on the grounds, but for the few weeks bracketing Easter (and I assume other UK school holidays), this is a family place with 100+ kids spread around just about everywhere. In August, I found some families, but the overall feel was more quiet and adult.

2. You are very concerned about cost. The Four Seasons is expensive -- very expensive -- relative to anything else in Sharm. This is particularly the case for food, which rivals prices in London. And especially true about imported alcohol, with wine at nose-bleed price levels (local beer, however, is cheap). The high alcohol prices are more the fauly of high tarrifs than the four seasons, but a bottle of wine a night is going to cost a lot. So, if you are pinching pennies, go somewhere else. If you are willing to view this as a special "splurge" and can forget about the amounts flowing out of your wallet (or are fortunate enough to be filthy rich), then you can better relax and enjoy things. Despite the high costs for many services, there are some nice freebies -- all the bottled water you need is replenished daily in your room and available at the spa or reception, kids lunch is free at the buffet, no charge for cabanas, most room rates include a buffet breakfast that will carry you through to dinner, etc.

3. You want chic shopping, lots of top restaurants and chic bars/clubs outside the resort. Sharm is not St. Barts or whatever tony resort area you can think of. It is a dump. Fortunately, the Four Seasons can easily be your ecosystem, with periodic trips outside this special luxury biosphere to enjoy the fantastic natural and historic sites (diving, snorkeling, desert safaris, Mt. Sinai and St. Katherins, among others).

4. You are a real beach lover. This is not a long sweeping beach like you might find in Angulla or Mexico. It is largely imported sand and the beach ends abruptly with a coral shelf that can not be walked on (to preserve both it and the soles of your feet from its sharp surfaces). Entry to the water, instead, is via a jetty to some fairly deep water -- it is not possible to do any waist high wading here. On the other hand, snorkeling and diving at the house reef at the beach are excellent with lots of fish. BTW -- while the pool is heated to a comfortable 90 degrees during cooler months, the ocean is not and gets cold! It was about 70 degrees in March and I imagine a bit cooler in winter -- bring or rent a wetsuit if you are going to be in for a while in winter/spring.

5. You hate airport noise. I had not noticed it in my previous two visits, but perhaps increased traffic made it more noticable in March. The hotel is near the airport and you will periodically (maybe once an hour or so) hear a distant rumble. I think this is probably the Russian flights, which use noisy Ilyushins and Toplevs. It will not wake you from a nap and can't be heard in your room, but if you need perfect quiet, this could bother you a bit.

6. You need a smoke free environment. It's no different here than elsewhere in the non-US, but if you are really bothered by smoke drifting over from the smoking section in the restaurant or at the beach, you will do better at the Four Seasons Hawaii or Nevis. I found that the distance between sections in the restaurants was fine and was not bothered by it elsewhere, but some might be.

7. You hate chaotic airports. Sharm is building a new airport (scheduled to open, as it has been for a year, "in a few months"), but the existing facility is chaotic. We (passengers) were forced to remove scores of bags from a prior flight from the stalled carousel before the baggage handlers could find room to put on ours. My advice -- pay the $50 or so for the four seasons "meet and assist service". It will magically wisk you through the immigration line and out of the madness and get you quickly to the paradise of the four seasons (with a cool towel and water awaiting you the moment you enter your car). The new airport terminal, I am told, will have a special four seasons lounge. Unfortuantely, it will still probably have overwhelmed Egyptian immigration. Oh -- for those who hate smoke, you will be much less incensed if you consider the cigarette pictures with the "no smoking" slashes through them as odd Egyptian caligraphy rather than as a rule to be followed. Passengers, staff and police puff away without restraint throughout the facility. The signs are about as effective as a "no honking" sign in Cairo (those who have been to Cairo know that the horn is simply the Egyptian brake pedal).

Well, that's it. I consider this one of the best resorts in the world and I hope to come back many more times.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
35  Thank Marhaba
Reviewed March 30, 2007

My husband and i spent 10 days in the resort whilst on our honeymoon and could not have found fault even if we had tried! The service was second to none, the resort stunning, and the accomodation was fabulous. We found our experience genuinely one of the best we have ever had in any hotel/resort. The staff added to the pleasure of our stay by leaving occasional "gifts" in our room to wish us a continued
happy honeymoon (I'm sure standard for honeymooners, however it was really appreciated). For any couples staying in this resort you MUST book the private candel lit dinner in the private garden/beach. This was a real highlight of our stay...extremely romantic, with a personal butler to wait on you both. I have to add he was only ever visible when you needed something...it was almost as if he was using some sort of telepathy or something. We were alone all evening and had a fantastic meal (quite pricey, as are most things in this 5 star
hotel, surprise surprise...but worth every penny!) The location was out of the way, but for us this was perfect as the hustel and bustle of Sharm central is not our thing at all...too many football shirts and T&A! I must add that the diving at the resort was brilliant, instructers were good and the house boat fantastic, again quite pricey, but to be expected. Will we go back? Its a case of we can't get back there soon or often enough!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Soley_1
Reviewed March 29, 2007

I had read amazing reviews about this hotel on the tripadvisor web site, and so planned a surprise getaway for my partner. By pure chance, I came across a web site www.villa24sharm.com of a privately owned fully equipped villa within the Four Seasons that is available for rent directly from the owner. So you get the best of both worlds, the amazing Four Seasons service, and the convenience of staying in a private home with a private pool, kitchen, garden, and even a washer drier! I called the Four Season resort in advance to check on this and they confirmed that it is indeed valid. Apparently, it is a Four Seasons niche to sell private properties within the resort. What a great idea (if you can afford it!).

Overall, this was one of the best holidays we ever had! We paid for the meet and assist at the airport and it was worth it. We were whisked away at the terminal and did not have to worry about the immigration or luggage. Our friendly driver and concierge Abdul had two bottles of chilled water ready for us in the car!

The weather was absolutely fantastic this time of the year, and we both managed to snorkel and do a beginners diving course. This was our first foray in the Red Sea, and it is truly a magical place.This is our second stay at a Four Seasons (Cost Rica was the first), and I have to say, if you think the Four Seasons experience is luxurious, try enhancing it with staying in a private property. Having our own private pool was an amazing perk! The villas has four bedrooms so it was a little over kill in terms of space for one couple, but it was well worth it! if I were to do it again, I would include at least three other couples and do a friend's holiday!

If I can nitpick, the only problem we had was waiting for two hours for our diving course to start as the Diving Center had overbooked our session. Other than that, the recreation, food, location, and quality of the beach at the Four Seasons was impeccable. Now we have to go back to work to save money to be able to afford another trip next year!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple