“Fabulous snorkelling”

Ranked #71 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Fabulous snorkelling”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was our second trip to Sharm; we were in Shark's Bay last year. We decided to return to Sharm because the travelling is relatively easy, the quality of the hotels is good and for me, most importantly, the snorkelling is fantastic!
We arrived in Renaissance quite late, however the check-in was quick and easy and we were driven for what seemed miles to our room. We were panicking a little because we seemed so far away from the reception, but the consierge pointed out a flight of stairs which took us up to the top pool with reception just beyond it.
The room was spacious, with an enormous bed. We were told that we'd have sea view. Because it was so late, we'd missed the buffet restaurant, however we ate in Zinzina, using our 200 LE dinner allowance. Ali the waiter was great; he wouldn't let us stop ordering until we'd used up all our allowance!
I woke early to check the view; it was stunning! It was a panorama from Ras Mohammed all the way up to Shark's Bay and beyond. The quiet pool next to Acapulco Joe's was just below our room. Being creatures of habit, Liz and I selected beds at this pool, looking back up to our room. This was perfect for me as I was in the shade in the morning and close to the jetty for my morning and afternoon snorkelling trips. Salem was in charge of towels etc, at the pool and he ensured that we well looked after throughout our stay, thanks Salem.
My first few snorkelling trips were uneventful and I was having reservations about snorkelling here, however after walking around the beach walkways we noticed diving boats tying up at the edge of our reef. It was a fair old swim down to where the boats anchored and you have to make sure that you start swimming against the current to make the return swim easier when you're getting a little tired.
What did I see while snorkelling? Well there was a huge Moray Eel, a beautiful Eagle Ray which "flew" right up to me, a Manta Ray which I either saw on four different occasions or it was four different ones, a Barracuda, a number of Giant Trevally and a Titan Triggerfish. I also swam over what I think was an Eagle Ray with what looked like a little white shark hitching a lift on top. The rays and the trevally are safe to approach, however you are well advised to give others a wide berth!
I've got an underwater camera, but unfortunately, due to a natural incompetence, I managed to mess up almost all of my pictures.
What of the hotel? Our room was spotless, thanks to Noor! The buffet was nice and cool and the meals were interesting! Chilli con Carne and chips for breakfast anyone? There was always beautiful bread and sometimes grilled beef bacon on the breakfast menu. Lunch and dinner always had nice soup and chicken as well as lovely beef joints. Special mention to Mohammed in this restaurant and also to the two really friendly young ladies who welcomed you to the restaurant.
Our favourite restaurant, however, was Acapulco Joe's, the service and food here was amazing! Michael, Ayman, Mohammed and the chefs were excellent and really made our holiday! Thank you!
What would I change about the hotel? Smoking on the terrace of the buffet restaurant, meant that we couldn't have lunch or dinner all fresco. Some people feel the need to smoke before, during and after each course! Also the beautiful area below reception, approached by the double curved Marble staircase was pretty much out of bounds for us because it was also a smoking area. The lobby bar was empty for the fortnight that we were there, because it is not covered by all-inclusive and so an excellent asset is unused!
Highlights of the holiday? The kindness, helpfulness and genuine friendliness of the staff and some of the friends we made; we certainly missed Niall and Fiona after they left, however Niall was a jinx with the snorkelling, we swam for miles and hardly saw anything! Everything that I saw, was after Niall left! ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for sea view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dina N, Manager at Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your stay with us at Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort and for your nice review.
We were very pleased to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us and found our pools and rooms to be great or excellent.
We are all here already waiting for your coming stay with us at your “sunny home”.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After a few recommendations for this hotel and desperately wanting to escape the miserable british weather I decided to go it alone and do a shirley Valentine. I was of course extremely cautious and nervous having never travelled alone in my entire life. However, I have to say that I was never alone...the staff were so gracious and welcoming and constantly made sure that I was looked after without being instrusive which of course was one of the reason I wanted to travel on my own. I even managed to watch the semi finals and Andy Murray winning - result and only in Egypt.

Anyway - the food was excellent, the service better. The variety was good enough for me and most importantly no stomach problems. Water was available at all bars and even allowed myself ice in my drinks - which i never have when abroad. Recommend the fruit cocktails prepared by most but especially Mohammads at the main pool side

My towels for the sun bed and selected area were always placed out for me and the particular touches of a icey flannel and sunglass cleaner were welcomed.

Reception, M-Bebo - what a delightful and charming person - never forgot my room number and nothing was too much trouble - actually that goes without saying also to the following staff

Ali , Muhammad, Saad Smith (Mexican restaurant and devine, the food of course), Yasser, Hebar and Mehad SHalot and all at the Coast Restaurant. Also a thank you to the cleaners of my room 7205 and the main toilets facilities - always spotless and always with a smile.

SO, would I go back - damn right I would - even the 100 steps I had to walk to the main pool was worth it...but not if you are an elderly person and not so fit although there are rooms nearer and you can get a buggy lift.

My room was fabulous - airey big enough and so comfortable.The televisions were a little antiquated but then I didnt go to watch television really

Entertainment was lacking and not brilliant but again didnt spoil my trip and wouldnt stop me going again.

One other factor though - for the marriott hotel group - if you are fully inclusive i do expect the mini bar to be stocked and not charged especially as you can get all those drinks at the bar anyway - bit pointless really

Thank you Marriot, but most of all thank you to the staff

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JDF1961

Best Regards
Delamere, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just spent a week at this wonderful hotel as a couple.

From start to finish the staff were always extremely friendly and helpful, whilst the hotel itself was clean and of a high standard.

This is a great place to relax as a couple but don't expect too much going on at night by way of entertainment.

We stayed on the All-inclusive package and it was very good value. Food was generally excellent - good variety and always of a high quality. A few more fruit options would have been a bonus, but it's a small downside.

Special mention to Mohammed in the Coast restaurant who always made us feel like we were the only people in there, and also to another Mohammed at the Rotunda Bar (by the main pool) who kept us supplied with drinks throughout the very hot days.

Hotel has its own beautiful beach with coral reef - giving great opportunities for snorkelling to explore the fish and corals.

We had a few nice treatments at the spa although I would say that it's not quite to European standards. That said, the staff were again always friendly and helpful.

Security at the resort was excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dina N, Manager at Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort, Additional thank you for mentioning our staff members –all of them will be very pleased to receive your greetings.
We are all here waiting for your coming stay with us at your “sunny home”.

Devon UK
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Renaissance Golden View.

The hotel has a lovely position with great views out over the red sea. The gardens were well kept and all the public areas kept clean and tidy. The 3 pools were great and it was always possible to get a sunbed. We however spent most of our time at the beach. The beach bar was close by and there was a lovely breeze coming off the sea with a great view. Kaheld who ran the beach bar looked after us really well, and was a font of knowledge about the best places to visit etc.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Mohammed are cleaner was great, he was really freindly and nothing was a problem for him - he definitely deserves a medal tidying up after my kids!

All the staff were helpful and friendly . We booked a snorkel trip with the water centre and again they were very organised and nothing was a problem. The trip itself was brilliant although a little choppy at times ! -saw loads of fish, wth our guide the black panther!

We indulged in 3 spa treatments, and again were well looked after by Adam the spa manager!

The only confusing thing was trying to understand the all inclusive option when we first arrived, although basically you could eat or drink anywhere just having to pay a supplement in the a la carte restaurant. We ate in the Italian 3 times and each time it came to about an extra £10 to pay for the 2 of us.

The hotel has a great position but there are quite a lot of steps, which means you get slower and slower towards the end of the week!

Overall the hotel was great

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dina N, Manager at Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comment about your stay. It is our pleasure to know that our Staff could make your holiday a success. It will be our pleasure to have you stay with us again and again.

L'Aquila, Italy
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was our 11th trip to the red sea and for the first time we decided to go back on the same hotel of the previous year. The reason is simple: few hotels in the Red Sea guarantee a similar level of service like the Renaissance Sharm el Sheik; to my experience (always 5 stars hotels), only the Sheraton Soma Bay could be a fair competitor.

We were a party of four (me, my wife and my two daughters) and after contacting the hotel before our arrival, we were upgraded to a top floor family suite right in front of the Acapulco pool, with fantastic views of both the pool and the sea. It was the perfect location for us: near to the beach, the jetty, the diving center (Dive In is also a guarantee of professional service and great dives) and the pool. Some steps were required to reach the restaurants, but we were pleased to do some exercise before eating! :-)

If possible this year (we were there from June 9th to June 23rd) the level of service was even better than past year, everybody was giving the impression to be proud and delighted to contribute in making your holiday fantastic: from Valeria of the guest relations, to the entire staff of the pools, beach (iced towels were fantastic!), bars and restaurants. This is a significant difference from the other hotels in Egypt where usually the staff shows highs and lows and tips are somehow a must to improve your experience.

Talking about the food, although sometimes repetitive, the quality was always great if you consider that you are in Egypt and not in France or Italy; in particular this year the quality of fish dishes was always a pleasant surprise. Having more fruit choice will definitely be a great improvement, considering also the climate.
While we were there, hotel guests were coming from a lot of different nations (italy, england, norway, spain, russia, egypt...) and this is also a positive point to me.

Overall, if you consider the quality of service, the food, the location (great local reef and 5 minutes transfer to the Travco Marina for the diving trips) and the fantastic suites, there is no doubt in suggesting the Renaissance for a holiday in Sharm.

Room Tip: Top floor should always guarantee great views and privacy, than its up to you and your needs if you...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your preference for The Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort, recommending it to other travelers and for writing your kind review. Additional thank you for mentioning our staff members –all of them will be very pleased to receive your greetings.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family of 3, 2 adults and 1 child. Had a lovely family suite located near the top pool by the main building, with amazing views out to sea. All the staff we encountered were kind and helpful, pretty much without exception. We mostly ate at the main buffet restaurant (we weren't all inclusive) and the food was generally good overall - try and get a table out on the balcony overlooking the pools and ocean if you can, watch all the diving boats coming and going! We took a taxi down into Sharm a couple of times but mostly just stayed around the hotel due to having a small child, but the hotel grounds are so attractive and nicely spread out that there really is something or somewhere different you can be every day. We did do one afternoon boat trip out, booked via the diving school on site. We'd definitely return, there's plenty more we could do!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank HanHan4321

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you like snorkeling this is lovely, as you have a private reef that is only accessible to people staying at the Renaissance. The hotel is great with good food, good service and very helpful staff.

when we arrive there were a number of small ants in our room, but once we had contacted reception someone was on site within 10 minutes to spray the area, both inside and outside the apartment, and we never saw any for the rest of our stay there.

The family suite we had was spacious, clean and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Go for a family suite as it gives you a living room and kitchen, along with a separate bedroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dave v
Dina N, Manager at Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comment about your stay. It will be our pleasure to have you stay with us again and again.