Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort
Ranked #78 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
london
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have not long returned from a fantastic 2 week holiday at this beautiful hotel and i am already looking at how soon i can return.
We had a fammily suite which was huge and had everything in it you could possibly need.
We booked the r class and im so glad we did, the buffet was great with helpful friendly waiters and a good variety on offer. However the speciality food was amazing in the Mexican and Italian and nothing was to much trouble for the staff, who neven cooked plain chicken for my daughter most nights.
I the 2 weeks we were there we did not find any of the staff to be anything other than polite plesant and helpful.
We cant wait to go back!
I

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lcfry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Holiday Review.

Booked our trip through LowCostHolidays.com.

Our holiday period was from 25th Oct till 1st Nov.
It was the 1st holiday we were taking since Sept 2011 so it had a special connotation.

Landed into Sharm in the evening and the transfers took nearly 2 hours to get going.
The transfers we a bit of a joke. Disorganised and no information or updates provided. (Tip: if you are travelling with more than one person - take a cab and haggle the price. Maximum it would cost is 40 Eguptian pounds!)

Got to hotel quite later after landing - around 9pm - and had dinner. Let me review the food here and get that out of the way...do not go all inclusive if its for the food factor and the food is very average. No flavours. Limited variety. The breakfast is probably the one decent meal you can get - but the scrambled eggs are more like runny eggs. (Tip: unless you are booking AI buy your drinks from the local supermarket as opposed to the hotel as they will charge you double the cost!)

One more thing, why isn't there a kettle and tea bags/coffee in the rooms? I mean after all its common knowledge that British people love their tea!!!

The resort itself was quite sparse but lacks variety in what activities are available within the grounds. Apart from a tiny beach volleyball section and a similarly small section for bowls - there wasn't much else. The hotel has a main pool - towel man was very very rude - and 2 other pools - one lively and the other a quieter one.
The rooms were average size for a 5 star resort and the bathroom in our room had just been renovated (it got a paint job!) yet the bath tub was old and cracking. Plus the sink was leaking and at one point we had to lay our towels beneath te sink.

Service was generally okay for the first few days and as I said it was our first holiday since September 2011 and we had paid over the odds as we got the holiday on a last minute basis. I ordered room service twice and I guess I wasn't tipping at the 'expected' standards as on the second occasion our plates were not collected. They were left outside our room for over 6 hours to the point where ants were crawling all over the plates and surrounding area. All this after we had made 2 calls and asked the reception team to arrange a collection and at every point we were assured it would be done!
Every request was met with some sort of expectation for a tip - perhaps the hotel should look at remunerating it's staff better so as not to expect a tip for doing your job.

Booked 3 excursions through ETS - they represent LowCostHolidays.com at the hotel - and apart from one trip, the rest were either generally late and again there was no interaction or general interest in the people who had paid to go on these trips or experiences. The staff members could either not speak English properly or were not really interested in us. It was just another day at work for these people; but where your job involves providing good or great service you should really apply yourself so as to either make it a memorable experience and to increase business. But hey, what do I know? I'm only a sales and service manager.

Overall, I did have an opportunity to get away from the hustle and bustle of life - the resort is big enough but overall fails to empress as a Marriott hotel. Little things such as the lack of disabled access to most places and no Wi-Fi access unless you're at the reception or by one of the bars (and even then the speed and quality was so poor that we couldn't even email without waiting 5 minutes) doesn't justify or live up to the expectation of the cost we paid.

Egypt was ok - not great...just okay and perhaps it will be a while before we go back as we didn't get to visit Luxor or Cairo. (Tip: be wary of the market traders and souks as well as cab drivers and generally anybody that provides service for a negotiable fee - always push for and stick to 50% less than what you are quoted as the opening fee!)

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank mutembeik
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Just back from an all inclusive stay in the renaissance hotel, all good, pool service, staff in general then we had dinner in the main restaurant called "coast"!!!!' Nightmare, it's open till 10 but go after 8.45/9 and the team are already setting up for breakfast and making it it perfectly clear your an annoyance, even seen waiters removing people and relocating into other sections!! Treated like a herd of cattle and completely spoilt a great holiday.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Fulltim
Moscow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

What a shame.

I wrote a review of this hotel about 18 months ago as I believed it to be the best value-for-money hotel in Sharm at the time. It probably was.

Sadly, that's all changed and not because of the price.

We booked online and were given an upgrade upon arrival. Great start. We had all-inclusive and asked if there was anything like Ultra All Inclusive as we'd read here that many things weren't included and we wanted to avoid those discussions every time we ordered something. We were wrongly told there wasn't and went to the room, which was perfect. Clean, spacious and with a superb front-line view of the sea. What could go wrong?

I had flown into Egypt, this time, from Moscow (just a few hours but a very early start, delays, time difference etc meant we were tired) so chilled out in the room before heading to the Buffet dinner, which we really enjoyed last stay. It was top class and very varied.....last time.

The service was simply shocking, firstly. We had eaten a 3 course meal of very bad food before we even got our first drinks. The waiter was only capable of grunting so we didn't hold our breath for an apology. The same happened at breakfast which was equally as bad.

We complained via email from the beach as I had the email addresses with me and wasn't exactly busy lying by the sea.

The Food and Beverage Manager (I think), who was a lovely Greek man, came down and spent a while explaining that they HAD to go All Inclusive as they'd lost so much business due to the problems in Egypt, economy in Europe, etc and in order to get the Russian business (which was the main business left after all the others stopped going to the region).

They'd gone from 10% occupancy to 100% in a very short space of time and couldn't cope. It was as simple as that. From 150 servings in the main buffet restaurant per day to 700. They had obviously taken anyone they could find and let them loose on the guests. It was a nightmare.

The F&B Manager upgraded us to the Ultra All Inclusive that we tried to buy when we arrived but were told wasn't available in order for us to avoid the main buffet restaurant but other places weren't much better.

We were so insulted by one waiter (in the Mexican restaurant) simply because he couldn't understand our order that we nearly packed up and left. As he couldn't understand "could we order drinks and have the menu please" he told us to go as we didn't have a booking. I told him that we did have a booking....and asked him to get his manager. A really pleasant Manager apologised and we were served by him for the rest of the evening.

This is basically where the problem lies. For each good member of staff, there are 4 or 5 really poor ones. It's pot luck who serves you. The bad ones are REALLY bad too.

Eventually, we ordered what we could and waited to see what was brought as USUALLY it wasn't anything like we had ordered.

There's a lovely Italian but even that was a mess. On our last night, there was one guy serving 40 people. It wasn't his fault and he told us "I can't serve 40 people, I'm sorry". That's shocking management.

The Spa sales people were very pushy and we fell for their tricks, ordering 8 massages for the two of us. We asked if we HAD to use all 8 and were told "no, of course not". For various reasons, we only had 3 each but were charged for 8, which added an extra $200 to our bill. EVENTUALLY we got it removed but the guy on reception didn't want to help. There was also a meal for $200 which they tried to charge us for but it wasn't ours, as was clear when they brought the copy of the signed bill. Also, one tennis booking was added that should have been free with our package.

Had I not gone to check out very early, we would have been screwed!

Another annoying incident involved me wanting to watch my football team on TV one evening. I called the Sports bar but was told it wasn't on. As I didn't believe anyone anymore I asked reception. They checked with the Lobby Bar who told them it was on. I asked "100%?" so they called again and were told "yes, 100%". I got there an hour before kick off and counted down the minutes (we were playing Man City in the Premier League - it's a huge game for my small team so I was excited/nervous) and asked, 10 minutes before kick off it they could switch channels and get the pre-game interviews etc. Time went by and nothing! Kick off past and still nothing. Half time and nothing. I missed the whole game as they were wrong.

Had I known, I would have gone to Naama Bay and watched the game in one of the many bars showing the game there. It might seem trivial to some, but it was just adding to the numerous mistakes that this awful hotel was giving.

There were loads of other issues (sky-high internet costs, no newspapers, awful food, battered car service to/from airport, tennis coach who was worse than me, poor quality masages, etc, etc) and it really spoiled what were were expecting to be a great return to a great resort. Sadly, it was shocking.

The only pluses were:

1- the same pool guy was amazing last time was amazing this time - Salem is his name. He's amazing. If you do go to this hotel, find him and say hello from me please!!! He looked after us when the rest of the hotel didn't. He really was/is an amazing guy.

2- George in the t-shirt shop near reception (behind the ATM cashpoints). The funniest and nicest guy in Egypt. We spent loads with him simply because he deserved it. You HAVE to visit him, even if you don't stay in the hotel. His Versace, Polo, Lacoste might not be original but we didn't care - we just enjoyed someone who knew how to make his clients feel good. He's the best customer service person in Egypt!!!!

So, that's it. A HUGE disappointment.

It's cheap-ish if you go R-Class or All-Inclusive but if you can stretch to the Royal Savoy or Four Season then do it.

This hotel is now a typical Egyptian hotel pretending to be 5 star. The building is, but the service wouldn't get 3 star from us. Maybe not 2 star either.

If it was poor service but huge effort, I would empathise, but it's poor service with a "we don't care" attitude too, except for the Senior Management who sadly weren't able to change anything in such a short period of time.

We will NEVER stay here again. It's a pity as we had loved this place and recommended it to a lot of people.

Avoid!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MoscowJack
Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was very sceptical holidaying here after reading the trip advisor reviews. It was all unnecessary worry however. I'm not quite sure what people expect in an AI hotel when it comes to food. If they want al la carte then pay for it and don't go AI. There was always a good selection and you could tell it had been cooked with care. The chefs took pride in their food. The breakfast selection was superb!! We had no problem with any drinks/snacks or ice cream on AI. There was always something to eat or drink. The only thing i would say is that there is no food after 11pm at night. The AI has only been operational since mid August and they are still trialing it. The room was lovely great view. I would like to say particular thanks to Ahmed on the beach, Islam and his Aqua Bar team, Wael and Abdel in coast. They all attended to us very well. We hope to return soon. They have left us with many great memories

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ambitom
sanaa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I visited the Renaissance hotel from the 25th till 31st of oct. I can say that the experience was overall magical. The hotel is for sure a 5 star hotel in term of everything apart from the buffet. I would definitely come back to this hotel. The hotel has many to offer and has everything necessary to make your holiday enjoyable. I will try to summarize the important aspects of the hotel features:

The reception:
The receptionists were really helpful specially walid, he is really humble, friendly And a nice guy. He tried really hard to assist us when we arrived as we had a problem with the agency we booked our trip with. He also gave us rooms with fabulous views. So, I want say thank you very much walid for every thing.

The cleanness:
In general the hotel is clean and rooms are modern and spacious. Howeover, tv is abit old and requires replacement.

The food:
We were in all inclusive package, the buffet as I said before is not a ( 5 star buffet, I would give it 3 star. There were signs that the buffet change everyday to cover dishes from around the globe but honestly, most of the dishes were repetitive and simple. Howeover, you can still eat from loads of cafeterias in the Hotel. As we were all inclusive, our options were limited.

The swimming pool, beach and fitness centre:

The hotel has 4 amazing swimming pool and there is a pair for swimmers in the sea. The fitness centre is good as it has many equipments for exercising. It is not crowded at all. There are also sauna and steam in the fitness centre. Employees in the centre are friendly.

• Stayed October 2012
Mecca, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Cleanliness is excellent , breakfast buffet is great ....beach has no sand all rocks need expert swimmers and snorkeling , design is good , staff is friendly although i faced two persons were so rude one in reception and the from room services , bell desk team is so polite and helpful,,, some rooms are very far main lobby with few number of golf cars to drop u ...overall is very good hotel to be recommended

• Stayed November 2012