“Far from a 5 star”

Continental Garden Reef Resort
Ranked #127 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Well firstly when we came to Egypt it was a ghost town literally 20 guests in our huge hotel !!! So you would expect great service ?? Hmm we'll food was rotten very limited and what was on offer was disgusting (every meal) evening meal was a set meal if you didn't like then tuff n!! Bar staff were lovely as we're most of the staff we came across with the odd exeption but all alcohol was awful unless you paid for it n even then not great, had to pay for beer n wine anyway unless u wanted to sit in a dark oven alone downstairs called the las amigos bar !!! So we chose to sit in the reception bar with the four other English guests and pay !! Also stated in hotel description within walking distance to Nama bay MOST DEFINATELY NOT so again extra money spent on taxis. The pool played the same cd every day all day put it on repeat n disappeared for the day absolutely awful. We are not fussy people at all but many things let this hotel down. Views n snorkelling are fab but otherwise stay else where.

Room Tip: Pool or sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ManchesterBally
Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

worst vacation and worst hotel ever. i went to continental garden reef with my wife for our honeymoon and that was the worst choice. i don't know how i paid money for this hotel .. service is horrible staff are very impolite and not helping at all .. weather was very hot and the whole hotel doesn't have ice or cold drinks for 5 days, our staying days .. food was dirty and not tasting good .. one of the staff told me with an angry face: wake up early because we don't like to stay after 10 am for feeding guests .. towels war not clean . . it took FIVE HOURS to tell that they don't have SHOWERCAP .. it took 2 HOURS to tell that they don't have shower gel .. how come a FIVE STARS hotel don't have showercap and showergel ?!!!! they have ruined my honeymoon really .. i don't recommend this **** place at all !!! plus the location is very faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from anything at sharm plus you can't take a taxi or car from outside bcoz you have to walk about TWO Kilometers to reach the HIGHWAY not even the main road !!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ahmed_Sallam
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel was very large and nicely presented. The daytime entertainment consisted of loud music by the pool which was fine but not when you get Russian instructors trying to make you do yoga or water aerobics! They dont understand the meaning of a couple going away for a relaxing holiday after working hard back home!
We got hassled a lot by a greasy masseuse called Mohammed! He was a proper greaseball and I was quite scared of him to be honest as he kept asking to massage me on my own without my fiance for free!
The food was a joke! Fish and mash with everything! Is these staples foods in Russia? They served them for breakfast lunch and dinner!
We were all inclusive but didnt have one dinner there and breakfast, I had boiled eggs every morning because I didnt fancy a fish or a cucumber omelette!
We booked our trips before we went to Egypt and thoroughly enjoyed the full day boat trip where we went snorkelling. That was amazing and I highly recommend it. I was petrified of the water but once I got used to it, I didnt want to get out!
And try the quad biking, thats great fun too! I just feel sorry for the camels being chained to the ground or little kids sitting on them hitting them with sticks!
Anyway, the hotel was fine apart from the fact that they have their own shops on the grounds but be warned...Once you step a foot near there, They are on you like a hawk! Trying to sell you their goods...Stuff that you wouldnt want to buy. They shut you in their shops, turn off the lights so you can see their light in the dark pictures! Thats quite scary too when youre not used to it!
THE BEST SERVICE WE GOT AT THIS HOTEL WAS FROM THE CLEANERS! THEY CHANGE YOUR BEDS EVERYDAY OR AT LEAST MAKE THEM, THEY MAKE SHAPES OUT OF YOUR TOWELS AND GENERALLY TIDY UP YOUR ROOM. THEY ARE VERY FRIENDLY. YES I KNOW THEY LIKE A TIP BUT WE GAVE TWO CLEANERS APP £10 EACH AND THEY DID A FANTASTIC JOB FOR THE WHOLE WEEK. Probably the lowest paid staff there who had the best customer service skills!
Too touristy for my liking. Im sure Egypt is a lovely place. Just Sharm El Sheikh was not for us sadly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chele72
Reviewed August 2, 2013

60th birthday holiday, it could not have been better, rooms, pool, beach, staff all added to a fabulous holiday. The trips out were exciting and well worth the extra payment. Security was evident I think more of a show of strength, I have read some of the reviews and don't agree with the negative comments, this is a clean and well maintained hotel which I will be returning too.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, stunning
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cherrypicker2013
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at Continental Garden Reef Resort for 30th birthday, our main reason for choosing the hotel was its location to the sea. We certainly achieved what we set out to do and had a wonderful experience snorkelling and thoroughly enjoyed the Red Sea. Unfortunately, the hotel came close to ruining this experience and this is the only time we have ever had to make a complaint to the Manager of a hotel.

Staff
Without wishing to be disrespectful I can only describe the staff as lazy, not bothered and unhelpful. They didn't do anything we asked of them until we had asked at least three times. We asked to move rooms on our second day as our room was dirty (blood stained toilet paper!) and we were kept awake into the early hours due to the Animation Team. It took them till 1.30am the following morning to actually move us and we were kept waiting in our room most of the evening. In the new room the air conditioning and TV were broken, thus began another ordeal of nagging for someone to fix them. As we were only staying a week it seemed a shame that we had to spend a lot of time asking for things to be fixed and changed repeatedly.

Food was the same morning, noon and night. Unfortunately not much vegetarian choice but I don't really expect that when I go abroad. I found the waiters to be quite rude and to make comments about me that were verging on inappropriate. There are two lovely Alacarte restaurants at the hotel but each time we rang reception to try and book they said we had called too early or too late despite us following the instructions given. Eventually we managed to book into one of the restaurants on the night of my birthday. When when we arrived they told us we were not booked in. This resulted in us complaining to the Manager who was very helpful and allowed us to have our meal.

Facilities
We didn't use the swimming pools (not when there is the beautiful sea to swim in!) but they looked nice and clean. The place could really do with a good dust!

The main body of the guests were Russian and the staff spoke Russian to us a lot and seemed surprised that we were English. The food seemed to be catered more towards their Russian clientèle as well so if this is something that would bother you, steer clear.

Overall, the Red Sea itself made for a spectacular trip but I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer to the beach as then you are away from the noise of the animation team.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SukiesMummy
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have visited this hotel many times and it just gets better every time I go. The accommodation is great everything you could want a beautiful beach and swimming pools that are looked after by the great Mohamed and his wonderful team. The restaurant they cannot do enough for you if something is not on the menu then they will go out of their way to get it for you - you just have to ask. I cannot praise the cleaners who always go that extra mile to make you feel very special. The Reception and Management team also help in every way they can. They have a great Beauty salon on site so got my pedicure done at the same time as my hair !!!! It close to Naama bay but not to close and they have a shuttle bus which takes you there and brings you back for £4.00 bliss. Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: always ask for a sea room you will get one if they have one free
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel is by no means the standard one would expect from a 5 star hotel. We ended up leaving as soon as we could be moved to anther hotel. The grotty bathroom put us right off, holes in the bath, mould around the edges, crumbling grouting - all rather hazardous. We went to the reception to ask if all the bathrooms were all like this, as we would've been happy to move to a room with a clean one if available. A cleaner with a gammy finger was sent to scrub our bathroom, when we tried to explain that it wasn't a cleaning job it needed and that it needed refitting and redoing he didn't understand and kept on scrubbing at the stubborn mould. After being shown two of the apparently higher standard rooms we decided to leave, they were all as bad. Our holiday rep was with us, and completely agreed, but the manager got angry that the bathroom was proving such an issue and shouted "well you don't live in the bathroom", to which I tried to calm him down by saying that it wasn't him we had the problem with, it was the fact that the hotel advertises as 5 star standard and it would be lucky to meet 3 by most people's expectations. The same manager persisted in being rude to us as we were checking out, and insisted that my friend write a letter saying that she hadn't to a problem with the staff before we left!

The food was ok, but I guess they didn't have much on offer due to the hotel only being 20% occupied. Some of the staff in the restaurant were very rude. The all inclusive wine is disgusting, always warm and tasted like vinegar.

The pool bar near the quieter pool wasn't open, and the bar next door refused to let us in in swimwear, so to go and get our plastic cups of water (they didn't have bottled water) we had to get dressed - not ideal in 40 degree heat where plenty of water is essential. The other pool is very noisy, with big loud speakers blaring out euro trash music. The pool bar at the noisy pool doesn't serve all inclusive wine.

I wish we'd payed more attention to all the negative reviews of this hotel. I've learned my lesson now. I was really hoping to have a great time here and be able to give positive feedback. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

Room Tip: Just don't go in the first place!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends