“Very good value for money”
Review of Sharm Plaza Hotel

Sharm Plaza Hotel
Ranked #76 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I travelled here with a party of 4 other women aged between 31-39 begining of June 2013. This was my third visit to Egypt and the rest of the party was their first time.

Room:
We checked in with no problems and were given an upgrade to a family room with two bedrooms and two bathrooms plus sitting room. The room was quite far from the beach (10 min walk) but none of us minded as we enjoyed the exercise. The room was really clean and the beds were very comfy. The air conditioning in the rooms was very effective albeit a little noisy. Pool towels are put in your room and are changed every evening.

Food: and Drink
Breakfast was average but most people would find something to eat. Buffet dinner was quite poor but we only ate there once as we managed to book restaurants for 6 nights out of 7.
The mexican restaurant was good food and great service. C view great for lunch as is the mexican. Shish restaurant was great food but service was slack when it came to getting another drink. Shame as we are all good tippers for good service. Lebanese restaurant was really nice food and good service. The pizza restaurant was very good. The best restaurant of all was the Italian for food and service, book early to get a reservation. This is my third visit to Egypt and I had great food but this hotels buffet is probably been the most disappointing. Drinks at the pool bar, mexican and lobby were fine but I did not drink anywhere else.

Beach and Pool:
Only used the pool down by the beach which was thoroughly cleaned and was quite fun with activities and music. The sea was fantastic for snorkelling and swimming. We always managed to get a sunbed but we are early risers and were probably on our sunbeds by 8am most days.

Staff:
We found the staff at this hotel to be simply charming and polite and that was without a tip first!
I would like to mention Nada, Eid and Hassan at the Mexican and pool bar. In fact most the staff in the Mexican bar and restaurant were very attentive and friendly. If you can give them a tip great as they really do depend on these to make a better living. The Millenium Dive Centre are also very professional and friendly especially Teva.
You will find that staff will try to get you to buy extras but a polite but firm no thank you will suffice although Hassans cocktails are very good if you fancy paying for something..

To sum up I would say that for the price I paid I was pleasantly surprised and would return again. for a 7 night break. Its not perfect but I am yet to find one that is!! Thank you Sharm Plaza and staff for making our holiday so relaxed and fun.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank bluejuice
Write a ReviewReviews (3,437)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble, especially Hamood, pool attendant at the roman pool. Our room was very clean. The food at the A la Carte restaurants were excellent. The entertainment however was almost non existent, at the main bar there was something on each evening but it tended to be a lounge singer and a DJ. The entertainment was advertised for both the main bar and the beach bar but there was never anything on at the beach bar and the acts which did put on a show at the main bar were not those advertised. Being on an all inclusive package we were disappointed with the availability of alcoholic drinks, the waiters only wanted to try to sell the cocktails. Local Alcoholic drinks were supposed to be included in the all inclusive package but the only drink which seemed to be available was larger. The buffet breakfast and lunch were good but the evening meals on the buffet were not at the same standard. The need to book a time slot to have evening meal at one of the a la carte restaurant's the day before left us restricted. The resort seemed more suited to a quiet couples holiday despite being sold as a family resort.

Room Tip: due to the layout and size we would suggest a room in the middle of the resort
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have just come back today from my third trip here and the weather was up to 49 degrees and landed here to a cool 13 degrees.

Well what can I say that probably hasnt already been said. The management has recently changed and new manager overseeing the bar/restaurant area. They are trying. I was invited to a meet and greet some of the managers to put forward any concerns. Didn't find this worked very well was more of a PR chat. I have been with a group and alone twice and this is the first time I have experienced lazy and rude staff.

Yes they come and try and sell you extras but I was not hassled as much as previous years and was not offered a massage once and asked about a facial after being told how good it was by people I met, I also asked about a pedicure, they do it twice for you on holiday once just on your return but they did go a bit mad and my foot ended up with no skin left in places and was bleeding and the polish comes off very quickly. They didnt want to know about the cut foot and they did repaint my nails but came off again so had them done for a third time. Facial was good and so was the threading.

Went down at 8.15 on the first day to pool at the beach and NO BEDS, there is a note to say beds can not be reserved prior to 8am this was the first time doing this, as I was disabled was unable to then book for the restaurant as could not make it back to reception to Q at 8 being alone, they do offer a buggy service but if its in use when they have customers arrive to transport them or the luggage the buggy doesn't turn up or you have to wait, I was told would be an hour wait.....One day waited 25 mins didnt turn up so had to do a slow walk up the hill....

Next day went down at 7.45 five beds left and no parasol, they did get me a parasol by taking it from another persons bed. Who had put towels on and like the other 50 or so people had then legged it. Didnt go to this pool again. Some people were taking their own towels and putting them on beds at the pool and taking hotel towels and putting them on other beds so hogging 8 beds for 4 people.

The Germans were moving the towels off beds if they liked them better than the ones that were left, people I know were up at 7.30 got a bed sat on it for 2 hours went for breakfast when they came back towels were moved on to other beds..

I decided to go to the pool outside my room and again before 6 lots of beds had towels on but they did bring in that if you put the towels on the bed before 8 you had to stay on your bed until 8 then have your breakfast and come back to your bed this did seem to work well and the pool guy was great. Cleaning the pool and moving beds for you. This pool is out side the Italian restaurant and did find that at times you were dying of thirst trying to get Mohamed to get you a drink some days, he was very good other days I felt I was ignored all day. They used to give out bottled water at all bars but this stopped this year and they were using water coolers and the water was always warm.. yuk..as was a lot of the drinks, if you could get them they seemed to "run out" of fruit juice at every bar could not get a pineapple juice for love or money so no "salty dogs" gin and fanta not the same.May be to try an get you to buy the other extra cost fruit juices.

Was with a group of friends at the evening entertainment and a waiter Ras/Raz in one of the purple tops refused to get us our drinks, so two of the people went to get the drinks well he came over and said would get our order now and then came back shouting at my friends who had gone to get the drinks as they thought they were helping him out, we than gave him a tip of change this included pounds and Egyptian coins he stood counting it out on the tray and then shouting at us who gave me these coins, Every one else took the tips and put them in there pockets or in the tip box with out looking, but he just kept shouting at us who gave him the coins. I felt so upset as I had never been treated by any of the staff like that previously they had all been very pleasant, until the next night I was having a meal at the Italian and was meeting my friends there, it was very hot and again I do struggle walking and standing for long periods so I asked if I could sit at the table whilst I waited for my friends who had the booking ticket ( I am nearly 60 so don't know what they thought I was going to do.)I was refused so I sat on the dirty steps as there was no where else for me to sit. A few minutes earlier some young girls wanted a drink and it was explained the bar was closed but 2 seconds later they had their drink and I was made to sit on the floor.

It just seems that some individuals let the power go to there head, the staff work 18 hour days for about £2-£2.50 a day if its as much as that and alot do a very good job, yes they could do with spoons so you can eat your soup/yogurts and not ask 3 people to get one,( one man was trying to eat his with a fork) luckily I knew one of the waiters and he got me an extra one. More often than not there were no plates, cups but they had 1500+ guests and a lot of long term staff had left, not sure why they had left but they are understaffed but for all said and done I had a fantastic holiday and met some lovely people, I saw staff again who treat me like a long lost friend and they are some of the nicest people I have met and I have been to lots of places on holiday across the world.

Yes food can be hit an miss but always found some thing to eat and went to all the other restaurants over the 2 weeks, and the only one I didnt like was the Shish but had a lot of entertainment from the stressed out manager running around, shouting at his staff for taking photos on behalf of the guests. Bit like fawlty towers.lol

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked a two week holiday staying at this hotel very last minute for our honeymoon. We ideally wanted to go to mexico but just couldnt afford it, so egypt is was. we were welcomed by the hotel staff straight into a welcome meeting with a cold drink, so that we could be given our welcome pack, wristband and room information. it was a short meeting that only lasted about 15mins then walked to our room. the luggage is left out front and brought to you by a bellboy.

I have to say my immediate reaction to the room was dissapointment as we had paid an extra £60 for a balcony to be given a room on the ground floor in an apartment the furthest distance from the hotel. the room is alittle dated but very clean and spacious. I actually think we were the only people in this apartment because the next day after complaining about the room and being moved we saw workmen in the room next door filling it with furniture. in hindsight im glad we moved because they started painting and hammering to fix the room up when we left.

The new room was slightly smaller but closer to the hotel and was upstairs. we also found a quiet pool 3 mins walk from the room so we were really happy. the hotel is labeled as a 4 and 5 star but to behonest is a 3 at most. Neither my husband or I are fussy eaters and didnt starve on this holiday. we tried all of the restaurants and found that the Italian (be prepared to que at 8am to reserve as is always fully booked),Shish and the pizzeria to be the best. the buffett restaurants offer a wide range of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner but we stayed away from the chicken as it was always pink.

i was slightly dissapointed in the lack of effort in the hotel staff in making our honeymoon special and spoke to them about any extras they would be able to give us, which resulted in nothing. but the holiday was lovelly and did the job for 2 weeks of relaxing and sunbathing!

the entertainment is repetative and boring so most nights we went and sat in the lobby bar and played cards, Mustafa the barman was excellent and always made an effort when we went in. when we did go downstairs to enjoy the entertainment Hanny looked after us so well.

The drinks are very low in alcohol and try as we might could not get drunk on this holiday. I agree with previous reviews about every restaurant and bar staff pestering the guests to by cocktails and wine. all of the drinks come out of bottles and the lager out of a can and not always cold. we had a lot of issues with the glasses being chipped and sharp, which i mentioned to the staff on more than one occasion.

please be aware that when you come to this hotel you will be doing alot of walking up and down steps and hills. the grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the staff work hard in keeping it so. the housekeeping guy who kept are room clean was great until the 10th day when he took the dirty towels away and didnt replace them, he explained that the hotel was at full capacity and they had ran out of towels and therefore decided not to clean the room either. we complained to reception and when we returned to our room was greeted by the disgruntled housekeeper waiting for us!

The room had two three quarter beds, which on our honeymoon wasn't ideal but were really comfy and was slightly sad to leave them behind to have to share when we got home. also to mention that there was a really bad poo smell at certain times during the day which we think may have come from the gardeners watering the grass/flowers.

This hotel is situated on a huge complex and obviously needs updating in some areas, but on a whole i think they do a good job and although we had a few problems we would return to the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mandymoo86
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My daughter and I have just returned from a very enjoyable holiday at the Sharm Plaza Hotel. On the hotel I would have given a clear 4, but a few things resulted in my score. The hotel main area and room were lovely, very clean and well kept. We requested a twin room and were given twin double beds and the air con worked which was essential.
As far as I was concerned the food was very nice, but my daughter being a bit fussy felt there wasn't very much for her to eat. The food in the buffet breakfast was focused more on the continental travellers and a bit holiday camp feeling, very often running out of cups, glasses & cutlery. We tried all the a la carte restaurants where the food was very nice, but although fully inclusive the waiters were trying to sell dishes that had a charge, also be careful not to drink the wine left on tables as they incurred a 20 euro charge.
There is evening entertainment in a couple of places but doesn't go on late in the night.
There is the option to pay for a one off fill of the mini bar with soft drinks and snacks (25 euros) and also a charge f(or refillable tea and coffee (20 euros), there were also additional extras you could pay for.
There was a little shop (selling drinks, cigarettes and sweets) and gift shops in the main reception area, these and the hotel took Egyptian pounds but mainly euros.
One big problem was when sitting by the pool or on the beach you were hassled all day with people trying to sell you boat trips, water activities, beauty treatments, massages & henna tattoos. You needed to get up early in order to reserve your sun loungers!
The rooms were mainly built on 2 floors, ground and first floor but there were over 100 steps leading from the reception to the beach these were broken up with court yards with little gift shops & a restaurant, but we found a road running alongside which saved on the legs walking back up!
The staff were all pleasant enough when they got to know you, but their first greeting to you was always in German, their German was much better than their English which sometimes caused a language problem.
Overall though we had a lovely restful holiday in extremely hot conditions

Room Tip: There were only a few rooms without balcony, it's worth emailing before you go to check. Not fo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Carol M
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We have just returned from a one week all inclusive visit at the Sharm Plaza hotel. Let me first start with the arrival of our holiday. We arrived at the airport and it was totally chaotic! It took us approximately an hour and a half to get through passport control. There was no organisation or structure to the place, it was a complete nightmare with people pushing each other in 39c heat! Be aware of the locals when you are heading to your bus as they will try and take your luggage and demand £10 for the pleasure of moving your suitcase 10 feet! (some pretend to be your bus driver!) When we arrived at the hotel we were taken into a room and asked to fill in forms and give them our passports, you can collect your passports from reception the following morning. The hotel wasn't very well organised but we were shown to our room (4122) and then our suitcases arrived at our room within 20 minutes. The room was ok, it was nothing special but the air conditioning worked and we had a fridge to keep our water cool. The next morning we headed to the beach and picked a beautiful spot over looking the sea. I would recommend getting up early to secure a bed, we managed ok at around 7.45 - 8.00am. The beach is not a proper beach as it is terraced and access is via a jetty. Please be aware that if you are in a wheelchair then this is not the holiday for you, there are over 100 steps from the main building to the main pool/beach area and trust me when it is over 40c, 100 steps is a lot! With regards to the food.....the buffet restaurants are disgusting and the food is inedible. We are not fussy eaters but the cuts of meat they use and the variety is very poor. The a la carte restaurants are ok, I would recommend the Italian (Via Veneto) as it served the best food. The Shish (BBQ) and C-View (Seafood) are ok but the nicer food is at an extra charge. The a la carte restaurants can be booked in the reception area, I would recommend doing this before breakfast at around 8.00am as they fill up fast. Although every night we went half the tables were empty! I think that they pretend they are fully booked because their staff are not equipped enough to manage a lot of people. Some of the staff can be friendly and pleasant but the staff located in the main building next to the Tapas bar are very rude and will harass you to purchase their "premium drinks and cocktails" after you say no for the tenth time they have no interest in you and you will struggle to be served all inclusive drinks for the remainder of the night. The cups and plates are in very poor condition and should be replaced. I myself prefer a glass of white wine but this will be served to you in a cheap, plastic tumbler and it will be warm which is very unpleasant. Overall I would not recommend this hotel however if you are on a budget it is worth it for the weather. If you can afford better, do not visit this hotel as it is definitely not a 5 star resort and you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed June 10, 2013

When we arrived on Sunday 2nd June the couch was greeted by porters telling everyone to line there bags up against the wall and stand next to them then we were all told to follow one of the porters who took us past the reception and downstairs past the dinning halls,past the outside bar and past the Italian then stopped and handed us all keys then another porter came and took them off us and started to take people to rooms after calling the number out ONE AT A TIME and after a 2 hour delay and 5 hours flying and in that heat people weren't happy. When it was finally our turn another porter came with the wrong bags and the room we walked into wasn't the one we pays extra for!! We payed for a junior suite and got a standard room,it was even in the brochure with standard room printed under the picture but when I told reception and the rep they claimed it was a junior suite even when I showed the picture. Nothing was done about it apart from the house keeper was told to clean better next time and called round late to get rid of the public hair that we arrived to in the bath :( air con was useless and the big/heavy duvets really helped you to sleep at night :/
Now to the food :)

Breakfast was rubbish
Dinner was rubbish
Supper was rubbish
But if you like questionable meats,cold rice,cold pasta,weird salads and bread your in luck ;)
And if you like to have a drink with your meal I suggest you go the the shop and buy one before you go to eat as the waiters don't bring them often but cocktails are on offer but they fail to mention that you have to pay after you drink it. All the good food and drinks where extra charges even tho its was all inclusive!?
A'la carte restaurants weren't much better but bearable. After our 2nd visit to one of them I became I'll with a tummy bug which wasn't nice in the heat. I'm fussy but my boyfriend will eat anything and he even turned his nose up but luckily there is a phone in reception that rings Maccy ds delivery!!

Now for the good bit..
The beach was only a stroll away and the snorkelling is awesome all the fish are wicked!!
If you take some bread down all the fish come and eat it out of your hands!! The blue fish (dory out of nemo) will swim around your ankle if you stand on the rocks but don't do it for long as it bite after 5 mins or so lol my over All impression was this hotel needs help!! If it wasn't for the beach and snorkelling our holiday and my birthday would of been pants :(

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach (block 1) but then your about a 15min walk from the main food areas but no beach...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple