“Great place didnt want to leave”
Review of Cyrene Grand Hotel

Cyrene Grand Hotel
Ranked #91 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I must say this was our first trip to Egypt and found the hotel to be very clean and well set up. Staff in Restuarant and O Grill very good and helpful but didnt like the way the bosses treated them in the main restuarant. They were efficient and polite. Not mad about the food. There was plenty to chose from but quite tasteless really and potatos not nice at all. OGrill was lovely.

I must say the Animation Team made our holiday and loved Aqua Gym and the shows they put on were good. So polite and friendly and found out alot about things from them which was helpful because Thomas Cook Rep was never to be seen apart from the Welcome Meeting and didnt even say goodbye when we were leaving. Personally I found him unnecessary.

Even the members of the Team who were for the foreign holiday makers were so nice and always had time to pass the time of day. Special thanks to Gianni and Amadeou and Christina

I cried when it was time to leave had the best time. Loved music at Pool Bar and had so much fun made lots of friends. Beach Party was brilliant. Need to do more things like this as bit boring after the Shows have finished. Although we made our own fun with friends we met. Alchohol left a lot to be desired. No Bacardi and Vodka was horrible.

The only downside was the Pool Towel Station the staff there are trying to rip you off by not letting you have your towel card at the end of the day which means you could be charged £50.00 and you have to argue with them to get them back. This happened to 5 separate couples and myself and when I said if you dont give me my cards I want towels the cards surprisingly appeared with some attitude from the towel man.

I would not hesitate to come back again and once again all staff apart from a couple of pool boys are a credit to the hotel. We were two girls on our own and nevery felt unsafe or vunerable.

One of the best holidays I have had in years and will recommend it to all my friends

Room Tip: Ground floor was quiet and safe back of the pool Double beds huge
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank marie12462
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write the review.
It was our pleasure to be your host at first trip to Egypt.
We are glad to learn that your stay with us was a memorable one. It is our commitment.
I took note of your comments about the service at the towel station and I assure you we will take proper action immediately.
Once again thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

if you are looking for a great hotel in egypt this is the place to go. There are alot of negative reviews on here which does not reflect the truth. We have been to egypt for the last three years running and can honestly say that people who go to egypt expecting 5 * hilton standards dont live in the real world. The people of egypt are brilliant they will do anything for you.As in this hotel, the staff and management are fantastic . I would like to say a big thankyou to INNA and AMIR from guest experience team for making our stay very special to us.The food hall is very clean and well ventilated the food choice is always vast and well presented. The staff / waiters are exellent and the one we found to be the best is hakim . he is so good at his job within aday hes got your drinks order memorised and ready by the time you sit down for dinner .The rooms are very clean and well equipped.the cleaners make some fantastic animals out of towels to decorate your bed.the pools are clean and well laid out, if you want peace and quiet use the top pool with the water fall and the waiters from the lounge bar come out to this pool. if you go to the o grill restarant at dinner the food is exellent again. The animation team are very friendly the enterainment is varied from beach disco to egyptian dancing to kareoke something to suit everyone. whilst we were there we got chance to watch the staff have a 5 a side football competition at night which they made us feel welcome even through it was not really for guests as it was played late at night over the month of ramadan.please if you are open minded give this hotel a try i can garantee you wont be disapointed i will be booking again soon for next year .

Room Tip: see views are a must if you can get one
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank steve_gDerby
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Meliá Sharm again for your stay in Egypt, Sharm El Sheikh.
We are glad to know that your experience was positive and we have met all your expectations.
Your review was presented to the Management Team.
We will thank Amir, Inna and Hakim for making your stay a pleasent one.
Once again thank you for the feedback, your opinion is very important for us.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a week at the very end of june/start of july and overall had an amazing time! We booked through Thomas cook, and the thomas cook rep at the hotel, Mohammed was very helpful from the moment we arrived! We were pleasantly surprised with how many other young couples there were in the hotel, but the hotel was very family freindly too!

The setting of the hotel is very picturesque and the hotel itself is grand. Soho sqaure is only a five minute drive away and was a great evening out of the hotel with lots of bars, as a major downfall with the hotel is that it only has one bar open in the evening, and despite it being nice it gets boring. The animation team were nice, although we only spoke to them on the last few days. I would say though the entertainment in the evenings in the hotel was pretty dire, even the beach party wasn't great. We resorted to playing our own drinking games. Rooms were lovely, clean and spacious. Food was okay, italian was really nice, buffet was average, plenty of choice but not always to the best of standards. Although special mention to the lovely ice cream guy!

Definitely recommend sand buggying, or quad biking, that was a highlight! We also took full advantage of the water sports available on the beach, spending most of our money there! Recommend the donuts and the speed boat out to Tiran island, that was great! Mo, the guy who runs the water sports is such a nice guy and an absolute legend!

Overall a lovely holiday, despite the small negatives, we just wish we booked for longer than a week!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your opinion about stay in Melià Sharm Hotel.
Your comments are very important for us.
It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your review with the Management Team and we will see the opportunity to open one more Bar for evening hours as satisfaction of our guests is a priority in the operation process.
Feedback such as yours is the greatest importance and assistance to us.
I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

just back from melia sharm july 17th ,,this was our first trip to Egypt my wife and my good self ,the hotel is rated as a 5 star resort but still has a little way to go to be 5star ,,please don't get me wrong the resort is beautifull ,5 pools which we chose the second down everyday and was great ,swim up pool was always busy ,small pool to lie up to your chest in and chill no problems there ,,food was fine if a little repedative but good ,,drink was ample and the beer was ok to drink ,staff were brilliant in the restaurants and bars ,reception was brilliant they looked after you well ,,management were good allways walking around asking for feedback ,they are deffo trying to upgrade the resort ,,,BAD POINTS ,,,entertainment is nearly none existant ,,night times you need something to do not just sitting around foyer or outsite ,one night they had a karaoke on and everyone [brits ,,Russians ,,polish ,,Italians ,,etc ] all joined in and made a good atmosphere ,then it stopped so they could take speakers to beach party ,,which by the way you had to PAY £10 to attend [on hotels own beach ],,,you also had to pay $10 an hour just to use the pool room /snooker room [,,madness ],,,overall the resort was clean and tidy ,,our room [2157] was nipping clean and quiet,we enjoyed the food ,and the staff were brilliant ,,first time on a holiday were I sat and relaxed for 7 days ,,this had a lot to do with nothing else to do through day and temp tipping in one day at 58 degrees ,,many thanks to management for the b/day cake sent to our room for lindas [my wifes ]b/day ,,thank you to all staff ,,mr n mrs L

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing Meliá Sharm for your first visit of Egypt.
Your comments are very important for us. Thank you for the review and opinion.
We are glad to learn that you had a positive experience with us.
I took note of your comment and we will review the entertainment program.
We hope to have a pleasure to welcome you again at Meliá Sharm.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Melia Sharm for a week, and first of all I must say it was a very peaceful, friendly and relaxing hotel. The rooms were beautiful and very spacious, which was very nice. Best of all the air con was one of the best air cons we have ever had, which made the room cool throughout the day. Also the balcony was very secluded and had really comfy chairs to sit out on and enjoy the lovely sea view. The food was very nice breakfast, lunch and night but the layout of the food made the queues very long. The staff were very friendly and always on hand to help, and the service was great. There were lots of sun beds to sit on by the pool and at the beach, which meant we didn't have to get up at 5am to reserve sun beds. The pools could have been cleaner, but they were being cleaned daily. Finally one last point was that late checkout was very cheap which made our last day much more enjoyable. Overall it was a nice hotel and I had a really peaceful week.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Miss_katie432
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for visiting the Meliá Sharm and sending your feedback.
We are glad you have greatly enjoyed our peaceful, friendly and relaxing hotel, your beautiful, spacious room, and very nice food. You consider our service to be great, the staff very friendly and always on hand to help.
We are happy to know your overall stay was very nice, and you spent a really peaceful week with us.
It’s our pleasure to serve you again at the Meliá Sharm during your next visit. We are looking forward to welcoming you!
Inna Igonina,
Guest Experience Department

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was our third time back to Egypt, and we'd stayed at the Sensatori the previous year. The Sensatori is a proper 5 star hotel, Melia Sharm is not. Many other websites call this a 4 star which is far more accurate, in fact I've only seen Thomas Cook list this as a 5 star.

Anyway, our good and bad points:

NEGATIVES
- Too many small faults in our room - however all got sorted quickly
- Bottled water only available at one bar.
- Some pools dirty (especially childrens pool), a manager said this is due to people washing feet from the beach. I accept this, but the feature pools which can't be swam in are cleaned every day.
- No evening entertainment on a Thursday (apart from kids disco), however there is a beach party at £11 each. Little bit naughty although it's meant to be worth it.
- 15 mins free wifi per day in the lobby, half the time this didn't work. A '5 star' should really be unlimited. You can buy extra on the high speed but it wasn't overly cheap.
- Kids pool needs some toys / activities. Apparently they're looking into this.
- Kids club (Day) needs updating desperately. Staff (and the air conditioning) are the the only thing this has going really
- Kids Disco (evening) was a little repetitive. But our children enjoyed it and the animation do a good team considering they have several nationalities to entertain.
- Lunch and evening meals were a bit chaotic (breakfast ok). It's a little 'fight for your food' as you have some people queing while others do as they please. We got told by a manager this was due to English queing, there were more English in our second week and this wasn't as bad. They really need more food stations or less people. In the school holidays I expect this to be much worse.
- The staff appear to get treated a little unfairly from their superiors. Not really fair as the majority of bar staff/pool attendants/etc do a great job.
- There is loud dance music every day at the main pool. I like it but can understand why people may find this an issue. My biggest problem is a lot of songs playing the explicit/rude versions. Travelling as a couple this wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but as a family with two young children, especially when the childrens pool joins onto the main pool, it's not what you want your kids to hear. A lot of these are mainstream songs played on the radio every day. There are 'clean' versions.
- Despite the above, they are only small moans. The only real major complaint we had was the toilets. Not very hygienic anyway, but people were clearly smoking in them. Again, not great with children. From what we understand, this is the staff, as they shouldn't be seen smoking. Guests can smoke anywhere outside so i wouldn't have thought this was them. Regardless of blame, this needs to be sorted as it's not on.

POSITIVES
- Food - not always the best selection, but not too repeatitive and quality was excellent
- Only hotel i've been too with a true 24 hour all inclusive. Lobby bar doesn't shut (and it's the only one you can get bottled water)
- Loads of pools, easy to get away from the liveliness of the main pool by going to one of the quieter pools.
- Staff are outstanding
- Our room was cleaned well by the cleaner - couldn't do enough to help
- Kids club runs all day, including lunch. So kids can keep occupied throughout the day
- Most of the evening entertainment is fantastic
- The cocktail table at the main restaurant entrance is a good idea for lunch and dinner
- The reef is fantastic, snorkeling is a must.
- The kids club staff were amazing (one of the staff, Lena, would even plait the girls hair, shame she left half way through our holiday)

In summary, this was a GREAT holiday. I know I've listed more disadvantages to advantages, but the pro's far outweigh the cons. One thing worth noting is that the management at this hotel are very keen on feedback and i truly believe they will work to resolve the more commonly highlighted errors (hopefully). I would recommend this hotel.

Just a couple of tips:
- The hotel is very hilly, and there are a distinct lack of lifts. There are ramps to most levels but these can be steep. This was awkward enough with a buggy, so if you have a wheelchair, just make sure you're happy - maybe do a search for disabled traveller reviews.
- I sometimes shy away from the non-tour operator's excursions. But we decided to take a gamble on the excursion people on the beach. These are well worth doing, around half the price of Thomas Cook and can vouch these are reliable. The people are friendly too.

Room Tip: Top floor (unless you have a buggy or wheelchair) with a sea or pool view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking time to write this valuable feedback.
As you mentioned, guests comments are very important for us.
All negative points help us to improve the Hotel operation and I assure you we will work on every issue. Your review was presented to the General Manager and the Management Team.
Please, accept our sincere apologies as our services did not meet all your expectations.
But we are glad to know that you had a positive experience with us too.
All pools on the territory are under regular cleaning and control. However we will put more attention to this very important point.
Every thursday apart from Kids Disco there is alive saxophone in the lobby bar as evening entertainment. Regarding the Kids Club and Disco we will review the program.
Once again thank you for the opinion and comments.
We hope to take the opportunity to welcome you and your family again at the Meliá Sharm during your next visit to Egypt.
Ekaterina Matvienko,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here first week in April. We stayed in the Level area which was definitley worth paying extra for. The room was nice and clean and had stunning views of tiran island. Food was spot on, however you had to wait long periods for a table at dinner, especially for the outside area, inside was a bit like a canteen, noisy and no atmosphere to enjoy a meal. I only have one word of warning, don't go near the dodgy Egyptian guy with the camel, normally hanging around at the end of the promenade, I went to take a photo (being the typical English tourist), and the guy took the camera from me and said he would take a picture, before we knew it we were both been led away on this camel, it all seemed to be friendly until another guy came over and started demanding money, needless to say they didn't get any. It was just purely an act of intimidation. We were lucky, apparently they did the same to an elderly couple which ended up handing over a large sum of money, therefore be warned. Apart from this one incident the holiday was sound.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Si B

Dear Guest,
We are thankful to you for choosing the Level at the Meliá Sharm and sharing your experience at the web site.
It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed the nice and clean room facing Tiran Island.
Sorry you were a bit disappointed with restaurant service. However, we would like to mention that the number of guests served every day at the Main Restaurant is about 900. Hence, all meal times are rather extended – 3 hours for breakfast and dinner, 3 and a half hours for lunch. We hope it’s pretty enough time for a guest to find a suitable time for having meal within these hours.
Thank you again for your feedback.
We will be happy to welcome you back to the Meliá Sharm during your next vacation.
Inna Igonina,