“Unforgettable holiday”

Ranked #83 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Rome, Italy
“Unforgettable holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently stayed at “Melìa Sharm” resort with friends. Well-maintained and very scenic structure. Spacious rooms with spectacular views. In the main restaurant, international cuisine in the norm. Very nice beach that allows you to take long walks. The front reef is spectacular and easily accessible by a wharf. Staff were very courteous and helpful; special thanks to Waleed Said that in the restaurant has been able to understand and fulfill all our requests: excellent service that made us feel right at home. We will be back in September with the hope to meet again with everyone.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have a lawn, but do not always have sea view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing Meliá Sharm hotel for your vacation and sharing your experience at the web site.
We are happy you are greatly satisfied with the stay at our hotel. You have enjoyed our service and facilities. We are pleased our staff made your holiday most enjoyable.
We are glad to hear you will definitely be coming back to our hotel.
You are greatly welcome!
Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Monmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from a 10 night stay at Melia Sharm and if I'm honest I don't know how to put our experience into words. Everything other than the weather seemed hit and miss, the food, the alcohol and sometimes even the staff. I'm certainly not a snob but I would like to point out that this hotel wasn't what I expected for a 5*- I personally think this is the fault of Thomas Cook and not necessarily the hotel or it's management.

Upon check-in we were greeted with a welcome drink and were checked in very quickly- however when we were asked if we wished to upgrade to 'The Level' and declined the mood of the receptionist soon changed.
Our room was 2111 and our view was beautiful looking over Tiran island, the room itself could do with a little bit of a re-vamp. Our bath was stained and the grout was either non-existent or extremely mouldy. Our shower head needed a bit of a clean too as water didn't come through most of the holes. We also had a bit of an issue with the ants (on the 2nd floor) we should have rung reception but dealt with the issue with the ever handy flip-flop.
We also had an issue with the double bed booking, again we didn't ring reception and just pushed the twin beds together- the following day we found that the cleaner had rotated the mattresses to prevent the beds coming apart- we were very grateful!

Our overall experience with the pool area was positive- apart from a few Russians who seemed to believe that they were owed the world. The towel guy (sorry forgot his name!) took us to some sun beds next to a Russian family, when the man left the family swiftly told us with the swish of their hands that we were too close, so I moved my bed closer. I found that the firmer you were they soon learnt not to push in front of me in a queue or butt in when I was ordering drinks at the bars. Hamada and the other gents on the pool bars were truly fantastic and you were never left waiting without a drink if they could help it.
We made friends with some other couples who spent most days on the beach, they advised us that there was a better chance of getting both a sun bed and a parasol (there's also a good breeze which makes sunbathing/activities a lot easier!) I would recommend at least taking a walk down the jetty- I'm terrified of the sea but it was completely worth the racing pulse and shaking legs. I just stuck my face into the water and the sea life was indescribable.
The towel guy on the beach was brilliant and would ensure that all of our towels were on our sunbeds for us every day, even without a tip he would simply say 'it's my job' and always came to say hello. The guys on the beach bar originally appeared amazing however due to us having a little knowledge of Arabic we caught one out swearing at us when we asked for some drinks. When I confronted this member of staff about what he just said he was very ignorant and this attitude continued for the remainder of our holiday. He even blatantly ignored us when stood at the bar and asking for drinks (we were the only ones stood there).

Another issue we had was the constant harassment by people selling excursions, other guests kept saying 'when you get a bit of colour they'll leave you alone'- that was no good for me as a redhead whose skin practically reflects the sun!
we did book an sunrise buggy excursion through Fox Safari- I would not recommend it as it was an absolute rip off- it was £8 less than the Thomas Cook one and we were only on the buggies for an hour and a half compared to the 3/4 hour trips you can book through other companies.

My final complaint would be about the food. It was very hit and miss in Spices, it felt like I was living off carbohydrates, bread, rice and chips. The pizza was good and so was the roast lamb and chicken. We ended up eating at the O Grille every lunchtime, yeah it was repetitive but the staff were amazing and were very friendly. We also ate there one evening and the menu was fantastic, you had to pay but it was definitely worth the money, a 2 course meal for two cost us £23. Our meal at the Italian was also very good and we ate there twice (1 time free with TC).

Finally, a huge shout out to the animation team, despite having to face some rather rude guests they just kept smiling and really added to the experience. The yoga, water aerobics and French bowls were particularly entertaining!
People have to remember that it's their job to be OTT and try to get people involved. Yes £11 seems a lot to pay for the party when you're all inclusive but it's an amazing night, especially when the hotel is so isolated from any serious nightlife. Our group mainly interacted with Stewart, Danny and Saffron.

Over all our experience was OK, the hotel just needs a little 'touch-up'- however if my boyfriend and I were to return to Sharm we'd possibly stay nearer Naama Bay as it seemed to cater more for what we were looking for. (we're 19 and 22)

MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Meliá Sharm for your vacation, as well for taking the time to share your recent experience.
We are very sorry that your experience did no meet your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies.
I have shared your review with all Management Team.
We will take notes of your comments as these are very important to us in our daily effort to improve our services, we do take your comments seriously and I assure you that necessary actions will be taken immediately.
We appreciate the time you took to share your opinion and we hope to take the opportunity to serve you again.
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

3rd visit to Melia Sharm and not disappointed. The hotel maintains it's standards. Lovely grounds and gardens. Excellent staff and accomodation. Clean and tidy public areas. Fantastic reef. Great breakfasts and lunches. Evening meals could do with a bit more finess but mostly very good. We will be returning.

MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for being our repeated guests and writing your review.
We appreciate your high evaluation of our efforts. We are glad you consider our hotel to be committed to providing great service, and we are taking all the right steps to do so.
It will be our great pleasure to welcome you again at your second home- Meliá Sharm.
Ekaterina Matvienko,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks stay at Melia Sharm with my partner. Very impressed with the hotel and we had an amazing holiday! There was also loads of young couples which was great for us!
Great cocktails and 24 hour all inclusive which was great!
There are plenty of opertunities for some fabulous trips would definetly recomend the tiran island snorking boat trip, this was amazing and got the chance to see dolphins and many hundreds of fish!
Soho square is a great night if you don't want any hastle has some great shops and reastruants and also very modern.
The pools were always clean and if there wasnt enough beds the staff woukd go out there way to find you some and put them where you like!
Staff were always cleaning the grounds and were always professional.
Food was good main restraunt always had plenty of options and always found something to eat, also has a fresh food stand and they cook fresh infront of you which was great!! The o grill was great for lunch a nice change to the buffet as it was a sit down meal.
We would definetly return to this hotel on our next trip to sharm!!
Thank you for a fab week! :)

• Stayed June 2013
Morpeth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned after 2 weeks (12th - 26th June 2013). Overall enjoyed our stay, but I agree with other reviewers it was not up to 5 star standard. The resort setting is beautiful and the hotel is quite impressive. The bedroom was OK although our bathroom was looking a bit tired. Seemed like a lot of people (including us) had problems with the swipe-card door locks.
The biggest downside was the all-inclusive dining. Breakfast was OK but lunch and dinner were more of a stampede, with long queues for the food (often only warm) and scores of people milling around in all directions. It just seemed very disorganised and was not a pleasant dining experience.
We usually ate lunch at the O Grill - free for Thomas Cook guests. The choice was OK, food was good, and service very good (thanks Ahmed). After the first day we chose to pay for our evening meal, dining at either the Italian restaurant or again, at the O Grill. The food was very good (although choice a bit limited) but the service was excellent - thanks to Hassan (great waiter, rubbish magic tricks - ha ha), and the friendly chef Nabil. It made it a lovely, relaxed dinning experience - a shame more people were not prepared to pay a few pounds for some really good food and service (and the meals really are not expensive). Once again, many many thanks Hassan.
The all inclusive white wine was terrible, and imported wine was prohibitively expensive, but we did find an Egyptian wine that was passable. Local beer (free) was OK, but cocktails were a bit of a let-down.
Always felt like we were having to pay extra for things that you'd normally expect to receive free in a 5 star resort. For example freshly squeezed orange juice was extra, only 15 minutes free Wi-Fi a day.
Pools were good and well laid-out with a couple of quieter pools and one noisy one. But the beach is not child-friendly - some very sharp corral. But definitely a diving/snorkelling paradise.

MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the valuable feedback.
We appreciate your comments and opinion. It helps us to improve our service constantly.
As per the All Inclusive package-it is food and beverages facilities formula which not depend from the stars level of the hotel.
At Meliá Sharm we offer five types of meal plans: Bed & Breakfast, Full Board, Half Board, All Inclusive and Premium All Inclusive packages, which include different privilages.
However please accept our sincere apologies if the formula did not meet your expectations.
I have shared your review with the F&B Director who will thank the staff for making your meals special at the A La Carte Restaurant.
Once again thank you for the review.
We hope to take the opportunity to welcome you again at the Meliá Sharm during your next visit to Egypt.
Ekaterina Matvienko,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Omg well i cant belive whatppl are sayin about this hotel i rate this 5*plus its plus onli downside is da vodka is mank but da waiter made me cocktail after cocktail till found the perfect 1 for me this hotel is beautiful meet lovely people here i was ill over here n staff were brilliant we wud love to go back as soon as we can get back out there ppl r bein snobs i tell you food was gd sumtimes hard findin what i want for dinner but one day they wernt servin chips and he went n cooked me chips just for me and breakfast is lushhhh!!! Go to this hotel its beautiful made freinds with over 20 people here and they loved this hotel it is a top hotel top pools top beach top staff top everything get booking melia sharm!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Comment of every our guest is very important for us.
We share it with all the team.
We are glad to know that your stay with us was a memorable one. It is our pleasure to provide best quality service to our customers.
Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

First impression of this hotel are amazing...beautiful hotel, pools and views are incredible however there are things that let the hotel down and make you question whether it should be a 5 star or not.

The food is definitely not 5* as its normally cold or looks abit dodgy but we quickly learned that if you skipped the typical buffet section and headed to the live cooking area it was much better and that's also the case at breakfast (unless beef bacon and chicken sausages are your thing)! We had omelettes most mornings which were great just make sure you ask for them well done as when you cut them open they tended to be raw in the middle.

For lunch we ate at the O,Grill resturaunt which is free for Thomas cook guests. This was so much better and although there isn't a lot to choose from (burgers/hot dogs/chicken etc) its good food and loads better than the buffet. You can eat there at night but you have to pay but not much (£6.50 for a sirloin steak)!

The final resturaunt is the al a carte which you get a voucher per week of your steak. Now this was so much better but only small portions so make sure you ask for extra chips or bread.

The wine and beer are good but all the spirits tastes the same and the cocktail list was pretty rubbish but if you ask the bar man to make you a special cocktail there loads better (don't get one with mint syrup though its vile and tastes like mouth wash)!

Although these things make you question whether it should be a 5* the service makes up for it all especially down at the pool. Hamada and Ahmed at the swim up bar and pool bar are amazing. I think they probably made our holiday so a big thank you to them! I only came across a few staff that weren't as friendly and helpful as the majority but then you have to remember that they work ridiculously long hours for hardly any money so you can't blame them.

The rooms are fine, a little dated (could do with the grouting in the bathrooms sorting). On our first night there were ants on the balcony (we were ground floor) so I rang reception and someone came down quickly and sprayed the balcony and for the rest of the 2 weeks I never saw another ant on our balcony. As long as you give them chance to fix it they will do. We did have some problems with the door to get into the room but when we got a new card it worked straight away.

The only other let down to the hotel was the entertainment. The entertainment is basically a singer or a saxophone player or something like that in the lobby which when your sat out on the terrace you can't really hear so it gets a bit boring. The entertainment team didn't really try to get you involved much either and one of the staff (Stewart) asked me 3 times if I had just arrived (the last time on our 13th day)!! We were one of the loudest groups in the hotel and all the staff new who we were so why this guy kept thinking I had just arrived I don't no but I think he needs to pay more attention to the guests!

All in all we had a great holiday but there are some things that need fixing and because of them I wouldn't go back to this hotel x

• Stayed June 2013
MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are grateful to you for selecting Meliá Sharm hotel for spending your vacation time as well as for sharing your detailed review.
We are very sorry that the Hotel food selection and entertainment program did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. At Meliá Sharm we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us.
Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.
It is our pleasure to know that you enjoyed service from the Bar staff. I will thank Hamada and Ahmed for making your stay a special one.
Once again thank you for the valuable feedback.