“5*?????”
Review of Cyrene Grand Hotel

Cyrene Grand Hotel
Ranked #92 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

First impression of this hotel are amazing...beautiful hotel, pools and views are incredible however there are things that let the hotel down and make you question whether it should be a 5 star or not.

The food is definitely not 5* as its normally cold or looks abit dodgy but we quickly learned that if you skipped the typical buffet section and headed to the live cooking area it was much better and that's also the case at breakfast (unless beef bacon and chicken sausages are your thing)! We had omelettes most mornings which were great just make sure you ask for them well done as when you cut them open they tended to be raw in the middle.

For lunch we ate at the O,Grill resturaunt which is free for Thomas cook guests. This was so much better and although there isn't a lot to choose from (burgers/hot dogs/chicken etc) its good food and loads better than the buffet. You can eat there at night but you have to pay but not much (£6.50 for a sirloin steak)!

The final resturaunt is the al a carte which you get a voucher per week of your steak. Now this was so much better but only small portions so make sure you ask for extra chips or bread.

The wine and beer are good but all the spirits tastes the same and the cocktail list was pretty rubbish but if you ask the bar man to make you a special cocktail there loads better (don't get one with mint syrup though its vile and tastes like mouth wash)!

Although these things make you question whether it should be a 5* the service makes up for it all especially down at the pool. Hamada and Ahmed at the swim up bar and pool bar are amazing. I think they probably made our holiday so a big thank you to them! I only came across a few staff that weren't as friendly and helpful as the majority but then you have to remember that they work ridiculously long hours for hardly any money so you can't blame them.

The rooms are fine, a little dated (could do with the grouting in the bathrooms sorting). On our first night there were ants on the balcony (we were ground floor) so I rang reception and someone came down quickly and sprayed the balcony and for the rest of the 2 weeks I never saw another ant on our balcony. As long as you give them chance to fix it they will do. We did have some problems with the door to get into the room but when we got a new card it worked straight away.

The only other let down to the hotel was the entertainment. The entertainment is basically a singer or a saxophone player or something like that in the lobby which when your sat out on the terrace you can't really hear so it gets a bit boring. The entertainment team didn't really try to get you involved much either and one of the staff (Stewart) asked me 3 times if I had just arrived (the last time on our 13th day)!! We were one of the loudest groups in the hotel and all the staff new who we were so why this guy kept thinking I had just arrived I don't no but I think he needs to pay more attention to the guests!

All in all we had a great holiday but there are some things that need fixing and because of them I wouldn't go back to this hotel x

• Stayed: June 2013
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are grateful to you for selecting Meliá Sharm hotel for spending your vacation time as well as for sharing your detailed review.
We are very sorry that the Hotel food selection and entertainment program did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. At Meliá Sharm we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us.
Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.
It is our pleasure to know that you enjoyed service from the Bar staff. I will thank Hamada and Ahmed for making your stay a special one.
Once again thank you for the valuable feedback.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed in the melia sharm from 9th june- 16th june on arrival we were taken to our room as we entered we had three cockroaches and the bath was dirty (fake tan marks and other paint marks) so we called reception where they came turned on the water and said it would disapeered.. this did not happen the whole of our stay however we had no cockroaches no ants or any other insects after the first night. Our room attendent we could not fault him at all he always made sure our room was clean but on two occasions we waited two hours for towels in our rooms as they had been forgotton.

The Main restaurant needs a major re think! we went on the first night and the food was vile! half way through our stay we tryed the restaurant again where they served roast chicken me and my boyfriend were given the smallest piece of chicken and it came to our surprise when we sat down a russian had a whole chicken on his plate! defiantly fill yourself up in the day time from the o'grille the service was amazing and so was the food! and if you need any snacks the beach bar was great too! we diddnt get chance to eat in the italian as it was fully booked on the weekend so book in advance!

out of all the men that hassle by the pool for activities! defiantly book with marcos 'mr boombastic, james bond'' and you're sure to have a great time we did banana boat and speed boat to tiran island which was beautiful tip: if you stop of take suncream!! its a totaly differant heat to you're hotel

The entertainment was not to our liking as a young couple of 19 & 18 there was not much entertainment just someone singing for 1 hour or playing an instrument we spent most of our nights being served a mixture of strong alcoholic cocktails from the barmen!

Soho square was lovely we paid £120 there money both ways.. great for a night out dont get your hopes up seing a chinese restaurant which does not serve chicken curry!! or and indian which does not serve chicken tikka masala! vist the steak house was lovely!

1 week was just enough to stay in egypt especially at this resort! the rooms are very rundown considering its a new built hotel! you feel very grubby having a bath when all the grout is dirty and your bath is full of fake tan? cant understand why the need it. other than that holiday was a very nice stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking time to write the review.
Comments and opinion of our customers are very important for us and assistance in daily operation.
I shared your feedback with the Executive HK Manager who took a note of your comments about the room. We will pay more attention and supervision to mentioned issues.
Please, accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience.
Regarding the show cooking station at Main Restaurant, the food is served there directly by Chef upon guest request. Guest can ask about exactly size of the portion. We are glad to provide it for all guests.
Our entertainment program includes alive music (from 19:30 till 22:30), dance shows with duration 45 minutes and disco with the DJ from 22:30 till late night. However we are sorry if this did not please you.
Once again thank you for the valuable feedback.

Lovely hotel – First time in Egypt pleasantly surprised
Nice spacious room (although they gave us a twin not a double but we pushed the beds together)
Beautifully clean hotel
Surroundings are beautiful so relaxing and peaceful
Staffs were amazing so polite and helpful couldn’t do enough for you (apart from bellboy)
We had a couple of maintenance issues which were solved within an hour of reporting them (now that’s service for you)
Shops in the hotel were helpful and friendly and not overpriced good value
Free safes in the room which was a real plus point for us
Italian A La Carte meal was lovely the best meal of the holiday and we recommend it to everyone who goes to this hotel.
Wi-Fi - I do think for a 5 star hotel you shouldn’t limit people to just 15 minutes a day and then charge them extra using an outside company which was slower than a snail!! (didn’t understand that)
Mini Bar in the room, but needs restocking as part of an all-inclusive package and I thought almost £6.00 for a litre bottle of Coke is a bit steep (had to buy from the bar as the little shop wasn’t allowed to sell them) (captive audience)

Bad points
1) First impressions count and the man that took our luggage to the room looked angry at us for only giving him a dollar tip (which was what was suggested to us by travel agent)

2) The sun loungers by the pool, it was almost impossible to get one we found out on our last day of the holiday that people were paying the attendants to reserve beds by the pool not really fair that.
We actually only managed to get a lounger once in the morning by one pool in 10 days ( I had to sneak out and put my towel on that at 5.30am!!!) this needs sorting.
Thankfully there were always plenty of beds on the beach

3) Food in the main was good but very samey I found it increasingly difficult to find different things to eat (I am a little fussy but even my partner who will eat anything said the same)

4) Biggest problem wasn’t with the hotel exactly, more Thomas Cook. I felt that we didn’t get the full potential out of the hotel. At previous hotels there has been a detailed map of where everything is and detailed explanation about the hotel, but this time we didn’t feel as we were given full details of the hotel facilities or activities and felt the holiday rep spent more time about the paid activities/trips outside the hotel other than what was available inside the hotel.
The outside trips information sheet was not very well explained with hidden extras on top of the prices, Thomas Cook do need to sort this out this was no reflection on the hotel what so ever just want people to be aware.
All in all I had a lovely relaxing holiday first time in Egypt (defo not my last), no tummy problems a couple of mozzi bites Lots of sun a beautiful warm breeze what more could you ask for.
We would defiantly come back to Egypt

Reviewed June 24, 2013

let me start by saying this is a hotel that should be very proud of its staff as if not for them this hotel would go down the pan. The food is ok but very repetitive the rooms are ok if you are a couple or a family of three. the view is brilliant and the pools are really good. now or the people who make your holiday a big thank you to all the waiters who looked after us , especially mena in the main lobby we love you he did so much for us we wanted to keep him. the animation team was amazing a big thank you to danny a very nice guy who will go far, saffron who is a really nice girl my daughter kira loved her and would only go to kids club if she was there, Christina who is a beautiful person and so helpful. We would only come back to this hotel if the people mentioned was there as they made our holiday so a big thank you to them all we love you love the lilley family(emma,martyn,robin,eva,ethan and kira)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Emma, Martyn, Robin, Eva, Ethan and Kira,
We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Meliá Sharm for your vacation, as well for taking the time to write about your recent experience.
It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel and the staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at your second home, Meliá Sharm.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at the melia sharm from the 6th June for 1 week .... Apart from a slight problem with the baggage initially all was great ... we arrived to be greeted by a very what appeared to be efficient check in process which it was from the reception staff , we were give a tag to hand to the bell boy of which we did and he attaches it to our cases and was then told they would be bought to our room shortly. We was then swiftly taken to our room which was lovely. clean tidy great sea and garden views. As we had been travelling since 5 am and arrived in our room about 5.30 that eve we both sat down and fell asleep. 2 Hours had passed by when I woke but still no cases ?? We went to reception and they were sat there unattended In the foyer ?? After a few exchanged words between the receptionist and bell boy they were taken to our room. ( The tag had fell off ) Unfortunately this did spoil our 1st night as it was nearly 8.30 by the time we had unpacked ! After this every thing was great lovely grounds, beach and snorkelling excellent from the hotels jetty. Food was as others have said a bit hit n miss sometimes hot then cold , we tried various times of eating and it was a matter of pot luck ! On the other hand Hakim always made sure we had a table and looked after us with drinks etc ... I believe this was him being hospitable and enjoying his job he remembered our names and we were always greeted with a smile. The barman who looks after the pool bar also was fab ( sorry I carnt remember his name)he made us very welcome, chatty and fantastic efficient service, well done. Naama bay worth a visit, the locals very funny but not as pushy as you would think ( ive been to turkey and that was worse).The staff do make this place and believe if they address some food issues this would change people's overall view , but don't be put off by what's been said we had a fab time and have said we would return of which we don't do !

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank kelnram

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your opinion about stay in Meliá Sharm Hotel.
Comments of our guests are very important for us and we take it very seriously.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience with the delivery of your luggage. I assure you we are taking action to correct the issue to ensure it does not occur again in the future to any of our guests.
We are glad to know that your stay with us was a memorable one.
I will thank Hakim and Pool Bar staff for making your stay a pleasent one.
We look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

All inclusive for a week at the end of May. The food in Spices was OK, and some times a few hidden jewels, the whole cooked lamb sliced of the bone, very very good. The Italian one night included in the week was good and not badly priced if you wanted to have another meal in there again the wine served there (included) was actually pretty good. The staff were all very nice and for a little tip, just once for the week, made them very attentive. Asaf I think who managed the Italian in the evening and the service lunch restaurant (again included, you could use the large self service spices also but nice to have a change ), was nice along with his team. The guys on the beach bar were good fun. The snorkelling of the beach was incredible, and the amount of scuba diving of out beach probably meant it was a hot spot, the last day even saw a Manta Ray 10metre down, very majestic. For a week a nice change.

Room Tip: we upgraded to a sea view which was nice and very calm on the third floor so away for the midges, (d...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew_C_999
MSharm, Manager at Cyrene Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your opinion about stay at Meliá Sharm.
It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that your experience with us was a memorable one. It is our commitment.
I have shared your feedback with all Management Team and I will also thank Ashraf for making your stay a pleasant one.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future,

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have just returned sat 15th we were booked in for 14 nights we booked this hotel because of the good reviews that we read. The first room that we were put into we were looking at a brick wall and not Tiran Island but i must say that as soon as we mentioned it to the reception staff and they reported it to the duty manager we were moved to a room looking over the quiet pools and the Island. The staff at the bar must have thought that we were trying to fill a swimming pool with the amount of water that we kept asking for and we were greeted and helped every time. I must also mention wee Adb from house keeping working in room 2105 such a funny wee guy every time we saw him he was always smiling and cheery he could not do enough for us (OK) was all he kept saying to us (everything OK). the only comment is that it is not catering for all tastes in the food DEPT the food was a disgrace same food everyday just labeled something different they couldn't even get that rite some times (Boiled beef one day and surprise beef curry the nxt) its like a canteen conveyor belt the only good part of the food were the eggs in the morning they surely couldn't destroy them. We had to eat in the grill at lunch time and pay for our meal every night at least we new that it was fresh and just cooked not sat in a Bain Marie. for a cple of hours. I would also like to State this is not about the Hotel but Thomas Cook themselves and there trips.Do not be fooled by there prices that they advertise what they dont tell you is that what they do is tell you that they have to exchange the payment into Egypt pounds then hit you with the exchange fee. Then they tell you that if you pay with a Debit or Credit Card you have a 2% charge on top we got ripped of for around £40-£50 in charges. Do not use them if possible try and get trips out of the area some other way if possible. Dont go to Cairo they will rush you around then sit you outside a perfume factory for an hour and a half in rush hour it was horrendous if the guide wasn't sleeping then he was on his phone.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for visiting the Meliá Sharm and taking your time to write the review.
We appreciate all comments of our customers because they help us improve our service constantly.
In the Main restaurant we provide Continental and English breakfast, International lunch, and theme dinner. The menu offered is intended to satisfy different tastes of guests from different countries. Daily we provide selection of salads with and without sauces, different types of meat with and witout spices, live cooking, wide variety of desserts.
However, we are sorry if our menu couldn't please you completely; we will review it.
Moreover, two a la carte restaurants providing International food selection are at guests' disposal daily.
Thanks again for your opinion.
We hope to take the opportunity to welcome you again at the Meliá Sharm during your next visit to Egypt.
Ekaterina Matvienko,