“Nearly perfect relaxing holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sharm Resort & Spa

Sharm Resort & Spa
Ranked #82 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nearly perfect relaxing holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I had the choice of 3 holidays for our honeymoon due to it being booked last minute so chose this hotel mainly for the weather. We then read several reviews and were slightly concerned. However upon arrival these concerns were shattered.
We arrived to a soft drink reception and extremely friendly staff. We both work in the hospitality industry and can be very critical however the service we received was impeccable especially off the bar man mena. He was a credit to the hotel.
The room was nice yet slightly mismatched for a grand premium room and finishings were not done to the best standard but the room was clean, comfortable and had everything we could wish for. The view was amazing overlooking the sea and pool area. The room was cleaned to a very good standard but once or twice we had a few towels missing after being changed. However never raised this issue as it was not a problem. When we got to the room it was a twin but upon enquiring at reception this was changed and remade whilst we had dinner with no problems at all.
The buffet dinner was something we were not looking forward to after the reviews yet it was done to a high standard with lots of choice. I tried the salad knowing I had medication for upset stomachs but never needed this at all time and I also noticed the ice machine attached to a very big bottle of water rather than tap water which made a very big difference.
The pool area down the front was very family orientated and busy with music and events. This looked fun but not to our taste so spent all our time at one of the upper level pools near the indoor bar. It was fantastic to have this choice and made it almost an adult only area. There was a regular service of bar men collecting glasses and rubbish which was wonderful. Our only issue was the pools were very cool and took your breath away when you got in. A little warmer would have been ideal. But again we could easily live with this and it became quite refreshing.
The weekend of our visit was the festival of eid. The hotel became very busy and the atmosphere of the hotel changed with more children and families that at times could be quite rude. But staff kept up with cleaning/clearing and outdoor table service which was fantastic. Again the bar staff were o e of the best features of this hotel.
We ate at the a la carte hotel one night. This was a small menu which was quite disappointing at first especially as some items were not available. However the standard of food was great. The steak was beautiful! Staff here worked in the lunch time o'grill restaurant and we found them quite abrupt at times. After one day of not tipping we were ignored for 20 minutes when we arrived for lunch which was not a good experience. So as a test we tipped to see what service would be like the next day and surprise surprise it was great again. This culture of tipping in an all inclusive resort where it is not cheap should be stopped by management straight away. We are very happy to tip good service but to need to do it is wrong. I would also prefer to do this at the end of my trip so I did not have to carry cash to lunch every day but this seems like not the thing to do.
The drinks were all Egyptian produce which having never tried before we were quite happy with. One night we ordered room service to get away from the buffet/canteen style dinner and were charged approximately £65 for a bottle of imported mediocre wine. Our decision to do this but would not do it again. The Egyptian wine was as good a standard and a tenth of the price. Cocktails were included in all inclusive which was a fantastic bonus for myself and measures quite large so beware. I got caught out on the first night and ended up very hungover the next day!
Both my headband and I would be more than happy to return to this resort again. There are always little things that can be done as you are never going to please everyone at the same time. It's impossible! And you have to remember you are not in Britain! Food styles change thought Britain never mind the rest of the world. But the melia sharm did everything they could to please everyone. Please do not go to this resort thinking it will be a bit of Britain abroad as it won't. If you embrace the holiday experience you will love this resort as much as we did.
We have tried to be very honest in this review. In true Brit style there are a few down points mentioned but these are so minor and did not take away from the beauty of this hotel, the friendliness and helpful staff and the shear relaxation that this holiday will provide.
One final point is that I would not recommend the beauty service especially the cleopatra massage and scrub. After the massage I could not walk as the lady had hurt my calves so much and the spa was showing a lot of age. It was dirty feeling and many things broken like showers and tiles. We came away more stressed than when we arrived. Once the spa has been renewed it may very well provide a better experience but for now I would advise to Avoid. As we didn't come across anyone we could complain to about this we never raised this with the hotel so again we are partly to blame. However it is not the experience one would expect for £80 each.
Overall this was a great trip and as long as you have realistic ideals you will love this resort and hotel. I can not recommend it enough.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Vics0206

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have just returnad from this hotel once again.Before I went the first time,I was abit optimistic.Mixed reviews..I obviously loved it as I returned.Before I went this time,I e-mailed Ekaterina (guest experience manager).When we got there,she had arranged the same perfect room,5001!We were welcomed like royalty.Little gifts left in the room,invites to the cocktail reception and beach party.Ekaterina phoned most nights to check all was well and to give us information.Restaurant super!I never even bothered with the a-la-carte.Staff are amazing.My wee boy Salem-the most charming and attentive waiter ever!Wael,like last time,always ready to tell a funny story-and to bend over backwards to please.Sharife likewise and new waiters I just met,Hamadda and Hussama.At the pool bar,Mahmood learns your drink and pours it as soon as you approach,and has a bit chat.They try so hard with English and just go all out to please.Mohammad,my housekeeper,made my towels and bed linen into the usual swans and hearts but also an alligator and an assortment of strange little creatures!I loved my first experience at Melia Sharm and never thought it could improve much,but it is very obvious that Ekaterina takes any negative feedback and works on it.My final note must be my wee animation family.I say family because that is how it felt.I actually cried leaving them!Even on their time off,they stop for a chat and make sure that everything is ok.They actually made my holiday complete.So if you are going please give my babes a hug!Thankyou again,Danny,Ricky and Aimee.

Room Tip: The twice we were there,we were in room 5001.It was perfect.looked out onto the active pool,which,ca...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mawnicol
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I went to melia sharm from 24 till 28 Octobre, with my 8 yrs old son, we had a deluxe room all inclusive with pool view, the staff of the reception was extremely friendly especially ibrahim and moutaz, we spent a joyful time the food was delicious and there was several choices, the waiters nice and do all their best to serve us, especially Khaled, the entertainement was good I liked the aqua gym and the oriental dancing, since I was with my little boy I couldn't enjoy the shows they do every night in the lobby. My son never went to the kids club because he never needed to, he was entertained and happy all the time. two pointw I want to mention, first the songs are very repetitive and especially the arabic ones that are also sad and dont go with the joy and the spririt of the resort, the second is that the wifi service not only expensive but also didn't work properly all the time!!
I liked the idea of the luggage locker since my flight was late at night,
In brief it was a great vacation!!!
Thanks Melia Sharm

Room Tip: Go for deluxe room that are near the pools and the lobby (the lobby bar is open 24hrs)!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SiboMusti
MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
I took notes of your comments regarding music program, we will review it.
Also I shared your feedback with IT Manager, who will take nesessary action with Internet connection quality.
I hope to welcome you again in the future.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Well where do we start !!
This was our first visit to Sharm and we stayed at the Melia Sharm, first impressions where impressive!, on our arrival we were greeted at the main reception with a smile from one of the porters who helped us with our baggage and directed to the reception desk where without hesitation were invited to have a refreshing drink of apple juice and dully registerd in. up to now its looking Good,
After that we were then esscorted to our room 2025 which after a long flight and short tranfer from the air port was really a relief not to handle any more lugage as it was a fair distance to our room. As I stated in the begining of this review impressive it got even better our room was very well designed and clean with a lovely view of the well kept gardens, we did not really get the full effect of the gardens and room untill the next day as we arrived after dark, it was great more than we expected.
We had been warned about the repation of the food menu however in the two weeks we were there you had the choice of eating foods from around the world and the standard was very good, with attentive waiters and staff they could not do enough for you. I must mention Hestham and Ramadam who were the cheeriest of hosts and worked very hard to make your meal times even more enjoyable.
The pools were clean and warm and surounding gardens very well kept, the lobby bar again had an inviting atmosphere and all the staff there also worked hard to make the experience a good one, a thank you to Mamood for being a very attentive bar man on every occasion we paid a visit to his bar.
Only one or two But's, The shops within the Hotel were over priced ie 90 Egyptian pounds for two ladies hygiene products which would cost in England £2 to £3 and they have you there, as you have to Walk a fair distance to get to any others or take a Taxi which is not practical when ever you need a plaster or run out of essentials.
The other But is the sprinklers, they seem to come on around ten in the morrning and the smell of the recycled water is not good, maybe it was just our luck but we always seem to be walking to the beach or the pool at that time or sitting on our varander,
The beach WoW !! well not so much the beach but the snokeling over the reef which runs from the pontoon in both direction for at least 800 feet both ways is out of this world incredible,
One last thing Mohamed our house keeper we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your hard work and your perceptiveness you were brilliant I hope you get the credit you deserve and your smile will stay with us for a very long time.
The whole experience was wonderfull at the Melia Sharm, yes we got a tummy bug it lasted one day and an afternoon but was worth it. I did come back with Giardia but a course of antibiotics will see that right.
Marvelous Time.

Room Tip: Try to book a Garden View. or sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ian L
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choice of Meliá Sharm for your first trip to Sharm El Sheikh.
We are glad to know that your stay was pleasent one. It's our commitment.
Regarding the sprinklers, our maintenance team will review the time for it. Thank you for the comment.
I am sorry to learn that you faced stomach problem. It is possible sometime due to new type of climate, food, water which is not like at home country.
I assure you that food and beverages in all Hotel outlets are safe for guests and under regular control.
I look forward to welcome you back at Meliá Sharm.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This is a pretty good hotel by Egyptian standards! If you want real 5* then pay £1000/night at the Metropolitan in London and £200 for afternoon tea.

You could come here and not spend 1p if you didn't want to.

Hotel is located right on the beach, sea is much warmer than the pool and there is good snorkling from the end of the jetty. Free equipment use at 12 noon too. If going out the hotel to shops, bars, restaurants etc everyday is your thing then this isn't the place for you. If you want to sit by the pool/beach and do nothing then it is!

The pool is a cracker. There must be some right miserable people on here complaining about the music by the pool. Other than the DJ's record collection containing nothing other than europop and R&B from circa 2005 its no worse than anywhere else I've ever been. There are plenty of other pools to lounge by if you want a peaceful day but the music wasn't overly intrusive. Not as intrusive as the blokes trying to flog camel/quad rides etc round the pool anyway. Pretend you speak Flemish, worked for me!

Food was pretty good, I'm a particularly fussy eater and my wife is a veggie but we both got by. I'm sure if your planning on more than a week you will have to eat out on at least a couple of occasions though. Guests get to eat in the Italian once a week - fortunately we were only staying for a week so didn't have to be subjected to it again. The gnocchi starter was something to behold - it had absolutely zero taste. To make the sauce they had somehow removed the flavour from water and added green colouring & the gnocchi was even blander. Fish and desert were pretty decent though and the fact the brilliant waiter continually tops your drink up helps numb the pain!

The bar service is good and even though it is 24hour booze usually by 11pm the bar area was deserted. Top tip - order beer from cans not draught as it tastes much better.

Entertainment was good with something going on all day and every evening but its a rolling weekly program so if your there 2 weeks you'll have seen it than many times you'll be able to play with fire, belly dance & be a whirly dervish by the end of it! Beach party was really good but it closes down the winter.

Room was very good, bed was hard which suited my back and blackout curtains worked exceptionally well. If you want the aircon and fridge to stay on while your out then stick and old credit card in the slot, works a treat :) bathroom was good bit shower head wasn't the best, still a good range of temp out of it though.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank ExtraPillow
MSharm, Manager at Sharm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your opinion about stay in Meliá Sharm Hotel.
Comments of our guests are very important for us.
I took notes of your comments regarding Italian A La Carte Restaurant and shared it with the Executive Chef of Meliá Sharm. We do take your comments seriously and commit to improve our service in order to give a memorable experience to our guests.
Thank you once again for the valuable feedback.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

had 14 nights from 11th oct to 25th oct i cannot praise the hotel enough were to start, first of all i must say that if you want to relax in the sun and be wated on hand and foot this is the place.but if you like to have a walk about it is not possible there is nothing there outside the hotel but that is the only downside to the place.the food is of the best quality,the staff canot do enough for you.the cleaners never stop our room was spotless all the time they even tidied up after us putting things away.well done to all the staff. but with special thanks to Said,Ebreham,Kareem,Meena and all the rest to many to mention . a first class hotel in every way well worthy of it's five star. and a special thanks to the manager of the beach bar whose name escapes me. Alec york

Room Tip: we was in room 4118 and the balcony was somthing else see photo
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Alec C
Dear Alec,
It's my pleasure to know that your stay was a memorable one.
It's our commitment.
I will thank Said,Ebrahim,Kareem and Meena for making your stay a pleasant one.
We are looking forward to welcome you again at Meliá Sharm.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We always read reviews before we go and have some good and bad feedback.

The hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds, pools and hotel itself are kept immaculately clean and tidy. Our room was big and had no complaints about how clean it was etc but I spent an hour on the second night getting rid of bugs and mosquitoes which was annoying but we were in Egypt after all. The bath/shower water drained very slowly (minor annoyance) and the balcony door did not lock. When we advised housekeeping they sent someone straight away to fix it, as well as a supervisor called Ayman who fixed us with free minibar refills as a wee apology.

The staff were very friendly (a special mention to Ahmed in the restaurant who was brilliant) and always helped but I have to say on our last trip to Egypt if we tipped at the start of a meal or at the bar we were provided with refills constantly but it wasn't as good this time? Perhaps this was because of the supervisors as one time we were at dinner Ahmed was talking away and a supervisor shouted at him to get back to work, this wasn't very friendly.

The people trying to sell stuff at the pools were not bad, nowhere near as pushy as some reviews have suggested, I have seen far worse.

Our biggest worry looking at previous reviews was the food as we read some poor reviews but I have to say the food was excellent and was even better than last year at the Jaz Mirabel Beach. There was 14 hot options, 2 chef specials and a huge salad selection every lunch and dinner. There is a poolside restaurant called O Grill which had a free lunch for Thomas Cook guests daily and there was an Italian a la carte restaurant which you got to use once per stay. This was an outstanding meal. We were shocked to overhear a conversation between the restaurant manager and another guest when the manager was conducting a survey where the guest said the food was disappointing and there wasnt enough choice! Believe me there was no problem here.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Frazer C
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
In Meliá Sharm feedback of guests is very important.
I've shared your comments with All Management Team.
We are glad to learn that we proved your expectations.
I hope to welcome you again in the future.