“we really loved it and we'll go back there every year!”

Sea Magic Resort and Spa
Ranked #169 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed June 11, 2011

My sister and i went there on holliday for the second time. We where in Egypt 6 times, but the sea-magic resort is the best for us. It is a beautiful resort. It is big but in little time you know the people that take care of you. the staff is correct and friendly. If you ask for something, you will get it if it is possible.The manager, room service, people of housekeeping, they are all of them very kind and helpfull.
For us it is a number 1 and we will go back, maybe already in oktober this year.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank mia_van_doninck

Reviewed June 9, 2011

Hotel was ok, food was ok, but please read on........

I'll add photos later so that you can understand my frustration.

Initially it was ok, I suppose you get what you've paid for. I wasn't expecting a 5 star Hotel. However neither was I expecting to be eaten by BED BUGS!!!

Initially the wife and I thought it was mosquito bites but we were mistaken. After my initial complaint, the hotel sprayed the room with mosquito repellents. But this proved unsuccesful. I subsequently sprayed the entire bed and covers with mosquito repellents, once again we were badly bitten.

Upon complaining again they moved us onto another room, but by then it was the 5th night, too little too late.

They offered us a pathetic complimentary fruit tray.

Upon checking out I complained that I do not think I should pay for the entire stay considering this was the worst holiday of my life and we showed them the bite marks all over our bodies, even face. Please see pics to understand the severity of the bites.

After 10 mins, the hotel manager informed me that he will waive my room service charge, however I even offered for them to refund half the accomodation costs and i'll pay room services as I have used the service. The manager declined.

He proposed that he will speak to the senior management to offer us a complimentary 7 days stay at the hotel. I obviously declined.

Upon returning I complained via my agent and they did nothing but to accept the initial request I made whilst at the hotel for half my accomodation cost, which by now I was not happy with at all.

2 months later I am still waiting for half the refund!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SirTravelot11
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I am a Norwegian - wanting to have and to pay for the best service and standards. Therefore, I was a bit worried when reading other peoples reviews of this hotel, but because of the extremely good location for snorkling at the coral reefs and viewing all the beautiful fishes - we decided to make it a try.

I have the background within both hotel and cruise ship industry at the uppernost class, so I know what to expect and not to expect when staying at a 5 star hotel. This is our review of the ""Sea Magic Resort & Spa" in Sharm El Sheik from our stay here from may22nd- till june 5th 2011 (yes - we are still here). Please note that we have a room with sea view, and this hotel has a lot of different kinds of rooms, suites and appartments. It seems to us that more or less all rooms has a very nice view - mostly to the sea and some towards the pool:

The room: Very cozy, clean and practical. TV, phone, hairdryer, refridgerator (minibar type), workdesk, bathtub with shower. A values depist safe where you select your own code. The aircondition is of a central type system which means that cooled water is being circulated in pipes to each room where a fancoil unit is located above the bathroom with your control unit at the wall. Works very well and kept our room at a temperature making it possible to have good sleep during the nights. Abolutely NO complaintds about oir room, and we have heards somilar comments from other guest of which we have been talking to or listening to.

The room cleaner: If you have ever seen the french detective series "Hercules Poirot" - we had his little brother to take care of our room every day. His name is "Ashraf" and what a service we have received from this man! One thing is that he every day made our room shining clean - another thing is the personal and friendly service he is given (though it is probably not a task described in his contract). An example to this was the day my dear wife was sick because of to much sun and to less drinking. I was with her in the room when somebody knocked at the door - outside our "Poirot" bringing fresh flowers in a glass of water for wishing my wife to get well. The day after she was still not feeling well, hence relaxing in the shadow at the balcony. I was not there, but she told me later that he came to wash the room and then left. 4 minutes later, he knocks the door. Outside is again our "Poirot" with 3 bottles of water - he had noticed that she did not have anything left to drink (yes, I am a poor husband) - so he took care of it. Such a service, you can never teach anyone to give - it is by nature and also by the "spirit" of everyone working at this hotel.

The food: If any person writes negative about the food at this hotel - this person has to have a problem with hers or his ability of taste! It is just SUPERIOR food, served in a delicious looking way and with taste I have never had anywhere else in Egypt (and I have been here many times).

MAGIC: Tthe MAGIC of this hotel is the persons working here! We had for ezample a problem with the aircondition in our room one evening and contacted the reception front desk. Immediately they understood that we would not be able to sleep in such a warm room, and because it was late they simply gave us the key to another room to sleep there for the night! No discussion - no problems - just smiles and understanding from these guys - all the way. Similar words we have heard when listening to conversations amongst other guests during visits in the restaurants and bars.

The management and their behaviour towards their employees is probably the main reason for why this hotel has a "magic" and positive culture inbetween the people working here. It is easier for any employee to smile when also your manager is smiling to you - logic, isn't it? Therefore - even though this is the biiggest hotel by the Red Sea - the feeling you have is that you are staying at a small and cozy hotell, and this solely bacause of the spirit between all the excellent people working here!

If you read reviews for this hotel being some months old - you should know the following. This hotel was purchased and refurbished by the recent owner just a little bit more that a year ago. Being the biggest hotel at the Red Sea, of course it takes some time to get everything "on the tracks". Our opinion is that this hotel most certainly is very well on the track - like should it be a freight train. One of the reasons to this is like already stated, the employees and the management. The latter has been handpicked amongst the best and most experienced people all over Egypt to come here and build the excellent service for their guests. Therefore, I guess that it not very long time - the prices for staying at this hotel will increase quite much and you should definatly try it out whilst their prices are still reasonable.

Surroundings: 5 minutes by car to Nama Bay - the old market. You will LOVE it, but if you have never been in this country before - do not let yourself be tricked into any shop by someone asking you to translate something or somewhat similar. The shop owners are extremely pushy and have many years of training of how to trick you into buying from them. If you think they are friendly with you because you are so goodlooking - just forget it. No matter - he is definatly trying to sell you something. They are not taking "no" for an answer - so just walk away from them with a friendly smile (no agression).
15 minutes by car to Sharm El Sheik centre - same comments as above.

Taxi can be ordered close to the main entrance of the hotel (inside).

The political situation right now (revolution in Cairo) we have not seen any signal of at all - except when passing in the car the hotel where predisent Mubarak is at the Sharm El Sheik hospital. There, we have 3 times seen 15-20 persons demonstrating or supporting (I think it was both), and 30 policemen sweatting in their uniforms - all totally quiet and peaceful. The "panic" in the tourist industry against going to Egypt, I persnally am sure is created by media which wants to sell as much newspapers as possible. If not, I would NEVER take my dear wife to Egypt - that I can assure you!

And NO - I am NOT a friend of anybody working or owning this hotel. This is a 100% honest review - and for once in a liftetime it really feels good to be able to write a 100% positive review from an Egyptian hotel - believe me!

A good tip for you: Talk to and treat the employees here with respect, and you will have the same from them.... Both they and you deserve being treated with respect and understanding!

Sorry - have no pictures here with us right now - but the puictures you find on the internet is NOT lying - it is beautiful all around the place!

Conclusion is: They surely enough live up the their name: MAGIC resort and spa!

Liliia and Atle

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Atle H
Reviewed May 25, 2011

From April 1st till April the 10th my sister & I went on a holiday to Egypt for the 6th time. Just as last year we have chosen "Sea-magic resort" again.Because last year we stayed there during the volcano eruption in Iceland. Because the aviation shut-down, we had to stay an extra 5 days. Even tough there were renovation works in the resort & with all the commotion of the eruption, Sea-magics staff & especially its manager "Mohamed Wahba" took amazing care of us. So despite the worries of getting back home safeley, the staff & manager still made our extra days fabulous & relaxing

When we arrived again this year, we got a heartwarming welcome. It was touching.
The suite wich was reserved for us, was an awesome space &as always in "sea-magic" very clean and very well maintained.

The very different diners & restaurants are really attractive. Especially the italian restaurant is a star place. The service of the staff runs very smoothly and they are all so very friendly. The choice of food is amazingly broad & a fantastic variation, really clean &attractive & most imporatant; just delicious!

The 3 beaches are just fabulous! There are the 2 more quiet, calm beaches with lots of space, amazingly comfortable beds to lie in the sun or shade. A lot of bars so you never have to go far for drinks. There's also a pier to go easily in & out of the sea, wich is ideal for snorkling. There's also the crazy beach, wich is popular with the kids. You can para-sail, banana rides and much, much more.

And every day there's the animation team (who are in for a lot of fun), volleybal, soccer stretching (in or out the water), salsa,...Always something to have a great time. The kid's club is big where the children are safely & very well entertained. At the evening the fun goes on. The theater is always amazing for a show or a comedy by the animation team. They are absolutely great & you may always join in! At the dragon bar every evening a musician plays music, so you can dance & have a great time or just have a quiet drink. There's also the disco for the youngsters wich is taken care of by the animation team.

Sea magic is genuinely a resort to recommend. Personally I think it's fa-bu-lous! If any problem occurs the entire staff does everything to fix it. I've been in Egypt for the 6th time now & what touches me in Sea-magic is the most polite & genuinely heartwarimg friendly way of the people who work in the resort. The beautiful garden wich is maintained to perfection, the delicious & huge amount of tasty food and the peace the resort breathes is amazing.

Everything you wish for, "sea-magic" & its crew make it happen.
So no hesitation for me, my next holiday will be at "Sea-magic resort"! Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank chrisvdoninck1958
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed here over christmas and the hotel really made an effort to make it special with everything to 3 wise men. The lobby was beautifully decorated.
The hotel is well maintained, apart from the rooms which could probablys have some work done to them. But who wants to be in their rooms all the time anyways!
We weren't initially happy with our room but were able to be upgraded for a small fee.
The complex is huge and offers a lot: hairdressers, spa (not included), shops, diving centre.
The entertainment isn't good so that was the only bad thing. Lots of russians too!
The staff really went out of their way to accomodate your needs and were very friendly.
All in all, a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ri0r0xamber
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Rooms not anywhere near 5 star standard. Airconditioner malfunctioning. Never had clean hot water. Numerous complaints went unheeded. Water filthy brown in colour. 2 out of 4 in our party suffered from food poisoning,management blamed everything else and would not entertain that the hotel could be at fault. Food totally institutional and very, very little variety from restaurant to restaurant. Hygiene in restaurants questionable. Senior management pleasant but useless in dealing with complaints. Changed agreed and confirmed rate when checking in. Waiters and junior staff pleasant and tried to please. Would never return to or recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raymail
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Reception - the staff were very helpful for all the requests we had.
Rooms – The rooms were adequate and a reasonable size. We had requested 2 twin rooms we had 1 twin and 1 double, they did provide us very quickly with an extra bed which was ok. We had an adjoining door, which we managed to get open once but not after that, I’m not sure if this was very safe if you had children in one room. The air con was rubbish, we had it on the coldest it could be and it only just cooled the room, if it was any hotter the room would have been unbearable. There was no soap, shower gel etc provided as separate items but there was a dispenser on the wall with something in it which we used as soap. The beds were comfortable and the view was excellent, it was a very quiet area of the hotel. (Room numbers 1101/1103) The rooms were very tired looking and were in need of an overhaul. One of the room safes was on the floor when we arrived and not attached to the wall so not much use as a safe as it could be carried away but this was rectified very quickly but we had to be in the room when they fixed it back on the wall, which we thought was a very good security measure
Restaurants and Bars (food and drink)
La Speranza– Was the better restaurant this was situated down by the bottom pool close to the beach area. For lunch they did burgers, hot dogs, chips and Pizza with outside seating area, you could also eat from the buffet in the restaurant. We ate lunch there most days and one evening meal. There was a dress code but only no bare tops or bikini tops but it was ok if you sat outside.
The main restaurant was Al Sakiya, we only ate in there once in the evening and had breakfast in there every day. The evening food was ok, the breakfast was similar, the same food every day, thank god for good croissants which were excellent. The service for tea and coffee in the morning and drinks in the evening was incredibly slow if they even bothered. The tables and floors were pretty filthy. I don’t normally have a problem with finding food to eat that looked and tasted ok but I did in this restaurant I’m not a fussy eater at all.
We also ate in The Fusion, this was a grill, the food was again ok but the drinks service was slow and the choice quite minimal, you also had to queue at certain times to get in and the smoke from the grill/barbeque filled the restaurant.
The 2 speciality restaurants were very good. Both the Chinese (Royal Wok) and Indian (Tandoori) were good and the wine excellent, better than the other restaurants. The atmosphere in the Indian wasn’t good, there was no music and even though it was hard to book a table it was empty. The Chinese was much better but the air con had broken. There was a set menu for both of these restaurants with approx 3 choices of starter, main and pudding, well worth going as many times as you can.
The Piano bar was the nicest bar but closed at 11pm. The taste/strength of drinks varied a great deal from bar to bar.
There was a constant supply of sealed bottle water which was brilliant.
Most of the staff in the restaurants were incredible rude and some didn’t understand what we asked for. We got some very odd drinks from a simple request. Compared to the staff in the 4 hotels in Taba I have been to the staff in Sharm are very different and not very polite at all. This might be to do with the abundance of Russians who had no idea about please, thank you, queuing etc, they were very rude too, this is just their way but the staffs seem to follow suit.
Swimming pools
We only sat by the main pool on the last day but it looked very suitable for children and adults with a slide, waves, deep sections and shallow sections. There were also pedalos for small children to use. This pool wasn’t suitable to swim lengths in. The lower pool nearer the beach was much nicer, easier to swim lengths in and not really suitable for smaller children so much quieter also this was closer to La Speranza Restaurant which was best for lunch. The only issue were the toilets, there were 2 unisex cubicles and for most of the week there were no paper towels or soap, the paper towels were replaced but not the soap. Each day I asked for soap and even mentioned this to reception, as this was also the staff’s toilet from the bar and the restaurant it wasn’t very hygienic if they couldn’t wash their hands. The sun beds by both pools were excellent and had their own built in sun shades to go above your head as well as the parasols around the pools; the towels issued were also good.
The beach was tiered and not easy to get to the sea; we didn’t use this much as we preferred the pool.
Getting around - The hotel was quite a big complex and there was a little shuttle bus that drove around to and from a few key places, or you could walk. The steps were quite steep and a lot of them, the paving quite rough, so nice high heeled shoes for an evening weren’t very practical.
Unfortunately most people we met were ill during their stay including our group; it ranged from sickness all week to bad stomachs for a few days. Only one of our parties was ill for longer than a day. This is the first hotel we have suffered illness in Egypt and we have stayed in a few.
Wi-Fi - This wasn’t available free but you could buy a card from reception for an hour (£6 approx) or 30 mins (£3 approx), you logged on to a website with a username and password from the card and then had the minutes, you just need to remember to log out of the website if you haven’t used all your minutes and not just disconnect Wi-Fi as the minutes still carry on being used, I learnt by my mistake.
Cigarettes - You have the ability to buy duty free cigarettes in Soho Sq and I believe Nama bay in the 48 hours after your arrival in Egypt at a duty free shop, I think they are about £8 for 200 you need your passport to do this to prove when you arrive. If you don’t make it to the duty free shop in that time, you can still buy them from the hotel shop for Approx £15 for 200.
Nothing to do with the hotel but our flights were with Monarch as they were the best return flight times however the aircraft was like a sardine tin and none of our party are massive in size and for £10 the food was rubbish. Thomson were so much better

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends