Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort
Ranked #93 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Fantastic holiday, the food was to die for and the staff were so attentive and polite. Amazingly comfortable beds, the chefs were certainly Master Chef standard concocting wonderfully exquisite deserts at meal times.
We tried to learn a little Arabic whilst we were there and apart from the staff falling about when we tried to speak it ( actually not true they loved it!) we had a great time.

Don't expect to have piped entertainment, we went for a quiet holiday break and that's what we got. The beach, even at this time of year was quite crowded, however the Royale has it's own private sun bathing area which was much quieter. Quite what it is like in mid season is any one's guess but the word ' sardines' is brought to mind. Snorkelling off the beach was great fun and very easy access, we saw not only rainbow, angel and pipe fish but also a baby sting ray... go to beach next door the coral is much better there.
Oh a word of warning, check the forecast before setting out on a snorkelling boat trip we were subject to force 7 head on winds and most the passengers lost their 'all inclusive lunch and as such we couldn't make our original destination.

Room Tip: We overlooked the Ceaser pool on the west side, nice and quiet but easy access to the main complex.
1  Thank Rob F

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Arranged pick up direct from hotel - @£12 each way. On arrival given a lovely juice drink (strawberry and mango) but no towel. Room very big but seemed a little bare - small terrace that went straight out to the pool. TV with BBC news, CNN and several movie channels.

The weather was hot and sunny @25 degrees in between Christmas and New Year. Ok to sunbathe by around 9am but the sun has gone from the pools by @3pm. Due to the design of the hotel, at this time of year at least half of the pool is in shade. The loungers that get the sun go quite quickly in the morning and as the resort got busier it became more difficult to secure a lounger.

The staff were in the main lovely and were always looking to help you. However, this was not the case at the Byblos pool bar where the service was not always acceptable and on one occasion their attitude was poor - it took 1 hour and 15 minutes for our sandwiches to arrive and when I complained I was told to sit down and wait my turn:( I also didn't like having all drinks served in plastic glasses. While I understand that you need to do this when taking drinks to your lounger, I really don't see why you can be served in glasses when sitting down to eat. I did see some people drinking from glasses but they appeared to be friends of the owner. The service that they received was a marked contrast from other guests and it highlighted the second class service that others received.

The food was generally fine but on the last day we all suffered for sickness and diarrhoea that is still with us on our return to the UK. Evening entertainment was awful and so we retreated to our rooms pretty early.

The room was clean but the cleaner frequently forgot to leave essentials like loo roll, shower gel, tissues, tea bags etc. Our conclusion in the end was that he was looking to deliver them later when we were in so that he could get extra tips. NB we were happy to tip him but not every day!

Finally, our return journey to the airport was not great - the car was old and smashed to pieces on the side and the seats were ripped. The driver pulled out in front of a petrol tanker and nearly crashed.....

In summary, the sun shone and we relaxed but overall it was distinctly average and I think that there are better places to stay in Sharm.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Reviewer42
sonestasharm, Executive Secretary at Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Lancashireterry 27

Thank you for posting your comment on trip advisor and all notes are duly noted.

• Access from other properties go to the beach.
The hotel does provide bracelets for easy identification and recognition around of its
guests to go freely in the hotel and its outlets, but precautions are always made for the
safety of the guests

• Due to the high volume of guests we place tea/coffee facilities in the room free
upon request.
• Mattresses are also upon request and according to preference
• LCD is in process of being placed in the rooms for a better facility in the rooms.
• Entertainment is very important and is part of the service that we provide our guests
throughout the complete day. I would have suggested that you could have contacted your
tour operator to change the room to a more quieter area within the hotel
• We are studying the project of having an indoor bar for our guest during the winter.
• The New Years Eve banquet was designed for outdoors due to the seating capacity would
have not been enough as we seated nearly 1200 guests in the restaurant.
• Heaters were available and placed around the seating area
• Pools are accessible to all our guests. All guests are allocated rooms with a nearby
pool for their convenience
• For guest convenience we provide 2 types of milk for cereals one placed on a hot plate and
other is placed in cooler for guests who prefer cold milk

We do apologize for the inconvenience faced but hope that this will not deter you from returning to the resort in future

Please feel free to visit us again you are very welcome

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Just returned from a week at Le Royale which was perfect! The hotel has a lovely boutiquey feel to it which I think is rare for Sharm. Our room overlooked the Caesar Pool and was huge, spotless, stylish and had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I wanted to take the pillows home with me. Also lovely fluffy white towels, robes and good quality toiletries.

We felt that the real crowning glory of this hotel is without doubt the staff - from the cleaners, bar staff, waiters, gardeners, pool guy, security guard etc etc. they are all chatty, polite, professional and true gentlemen!!

Some people were not happy with the selection of food but for us this was not a problem, we certainly didn't go hungry! I'd definitely recommend the Tandoori - it was delicious and well worth the money. Also I'd recommend a shisha and coffee or tea at the Ali Baba cafe.

The only minor downsides for me was the beach, even tho Le Royale guests have their own private area it just felt a bit hectic and overcrowded so we avoided it for most of our stay.

I would without a doubt stay here again and would have no problems recommending this to anyone who wants a holiday of luxury!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa2053
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Lisa2053

Thank you for your nice review and thank you for recommending our resort , we hope to host you again soon

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was our 8th stay in sharm but the first at the royale sonesta. Room was fantastic,clean spacious lovely bathroom and the bed was amazing. The grounds of the le royale were stunning very pretty at night. I'm so glad we stayed at this side as I would have been very disappointed at the beach side which was in dire need of a face lift in comparison to the other hotels we have stayed in in sharm. Food. Mmm ok ish disappointing choice at breakfast. The restaraunt for le royale guests was very dark in the evening so dark you couldn't see the food on the plate if you ate outside so we preferred to eat at the dome. The food at the pool bar at lunch time was lovely cooked fresh and was tasty. Pool boy was a nice guy always smiling and security gaurd was a real gentleman which couldn't be said about some of the staff at the pool bar if there was more than three people waiting they appeared not to be able to cope and service was not always with a smile. Got fed up with drinking from plastic cups towards the end of the week. Overall a nice holiday they made a special effort Christmas Eve which we enjoyed. I wouldn't return to this hotel even though it was by far the best room We have stated in it just felt that there was something missing.

1  Thank Nicola W
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The service was great the room was great, but the toilet didn't have a lock. We had a swim up room and it was worth the money. The worker were all friendly and greeted us with a smile. There was a guy in La Gondola who saw us in the dark and came over to greet us so he was really friendly. Everyone was really helpful. The only disappointing thing was that the hotel driver called Hysam dropped us off at the wrong terminal.

Room Tip: You should choose the le Royale side it's much more better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Very nice and relaxing atmosphere, friendly and efficient staff, food varied and tasty. Heated pool a real plus on windy days. Not the first time - and not the last, Highly recommended all the.way.- Jacob, Brussels.

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at this hotel, I have been extremely pleased with all the staff.From house keeping, front desk, the lobby bar and security. Karim Mohamed who is at the lobby bar is a very able and efficient and linguistic just fabulous service.I mean everyone in the bar.
Ibrahim the chef always a smile and welcome and his culinary skills are terrific. Tariq the security between the Sonesta beach and the Le Royale always a pleasure to talk to and it's a great thing for this hotel.
Obviously whatever they are doing they're doing great. Food no complaints and service 100%. The concept of service and quality is working and I've got to say everyone one of the staff are helpful and yes I realise they work long hours but credit where it's due . I've read the reviews and having been here I've been more than pleased, yes the Internet is about £12 per day but you can buy a sim card and 3GB of mobile internet for £14.50 and it's very fast. We will always have people who have different perspective of anywhere they stay but I can tell you first hand it's a place where the surroundings are beautiful with manicured gardens and beautiful swimming pools. There's no need to rush for a sun bed there's plenty and the pool staff extremely helpful.
Restaurants are very nice and there is a Tandoori Restaurant within the grounds and yes the foods good, if you want to treat yourself, wife or girlfriend, it's a good place to eat. The all inclusive concept is fine and certainly at Le Royale it's a fabulous.I have to say I would love to come to Le Royale again but I've never visited the same place twice but just maybe Le Royale have changed my mind and I would have no hesitation in recommending Le Royale as a place of peace and tranquility with the accommodation the finest I've stayed in Egypt.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Egypt0000
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Egypt0000

Thank you for this detailed review , it is our pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay , the service and the food at our hotel ,I will pass on your comments about our staff to my colleagues and I am sure they will be very happy , I hope to see you soon again