“Terrible food, staff not that supportive, nice rooms”

Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort
Ranked #94 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at Royale for the New Year Eve and one week after with my partner. The hotel is beautiful, rooms very nice, beds very comfortable. The restaurant is placed at The Sonesta Beach and is max 3*, Not much choice, not tasty, there was no fruits; they really concentrate on sweets, very disappointed:( Staff was rude at times, spoke to clients in arabic if they did not like something; on one occasion they were asked not to do that. Moreover, you have to wait for the tables at the restaurant because the staff is constantly short; plus they work 12-14 houres a day so do not blame those people of being tired. I left my scarf by the bar, we were the last clients staying by the bar that night, it was around 1am and never got it back, despite asking the staff for it. If you want bottled bear or fresh juice you will be ask to pay for it-what is the point of all inclusive then. We paid a lot of money for that holiday and we think the service was not that good. The internet is extremely slow and it will cost You 45-50£ a week, bottle of Johnny Walker on the bar 250£. We met a lot of Russians they pay half less that we do from England. Shame on You Thomas Cook. What I would like to emphasize, it was our 4th time in Sharm and we are not difficult clients to deal with but we do expect the service if we pay for it.

1  Thank Eva K
badramani, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Eva K,

Thank you for getting back to us whether your comments are positive or negative , just to clarify the AI issue , not all drinks are included in the AI formula and you will find a printed paper with the details they give you once you check in .We are taking notes of your complains and we will forward it to the management . Thank you again for taking the time to write this review

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We actually stayed in le royal sonesta what can i say ,when we arrived 3 adults they gave us 1 bed told us we could all sleep together hope they were having a joke it took two hour to get a better room,not what i expect from a five star hotel,we were then told we had to eat in the sonesta 4 star special dinning room it was rubbish we had the same food no fruit inthe morning it had all gone by 9am.The juices were disgusting so watery the lunch was the same every day I even found an insect in the yellow lettuce (it might of tasted Better).The evening meal was cold meat horrible and pasta warm.I am in the catering business and if i gave that to my clients i would have been out of a job.we were all inclusive and had a bar at the royale which served snakes but we had to pay for them (dont get me wrong i throught all inclusive meant all meals)
and wine we had to pay for.Russians everywere .I did go down with a stomach bug and spent to days in bed .This hotel was not good and spolit it for us NOT AGAIN

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank alyson n
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear alyson n,

Let me first assure you that we always welcome our guest feedback because that is how we grow up , I did investigate the matter with the front office manager and below are some points to clear the situation :
- You were booked through Thomas cook travel and nothing in the voucher they send to the hotel mentioned you needed 2 separate beds not a large bed ( that was mentionned in the voucher they gave you only ) , when you went to reception they changed the room as per your request and this took 15 minutes till they clean and prepare it for you .
- As for the all inclusive , the drinks and the food are included but the bottle of wine you consumed during the new year's eve had to be paid as it is not included in the all inclusive formula .
I hope this cleared the matter and please accept our apology if we did not meet your expectations and give us the chance to host you again for a better experience at our resort

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We returned from the Le Royale on 27 December 2012. Having originally booked through Thomson for the Sonesta Beach Resort we upgraded to Le Royale on our 8th day. There was nothing wrong at all with Sonesta Beach - just one family from hell who came onto the resort in our second week. In fact, i'm positive that we would have continued to enjoy our stay here had it not been for these people!!

OMG!!!! Le Royale in our eyes is totally fab. 6 nights of being in heaven. The cleanesst resort we have ever come across. Nothing was too much for any of the staff here. From the gardeners, cleaners, the security lads, the pool boys, the bell boys, the management, the restaurant staff and the chefs each and every one of them excelled in their jobs. Everyone one of them wanted to please you at all times. And this was the case whether they were tipped or not.

The food in our eyes was out of this world. We mainly ate in Le Gondola. The staff here were exceptional. All of the chefs including Kaleed the head chef, were out to impress all customers and made sure that nothing disappointed anyone. A very good selection at each meal was always on offer. Massive thanks to Mohammed the waiting staff at Le Gondola who made us most welcome and helped towards making the holiday our most memorable.

We did also eat at the Casablanca Restaurant and was impressed by the services of Ahmed the waiting staff member. Although he was unwell at the time of our stay, he always welcomed you with a smile, a joke and again willing to do anything to please you.

Praise goes out to Olga the Customer relations staff member. All staff work exceptionally long hours and complete their tasks to the highest standard but Olga goes above and beyond what her job description asks for.

We have read that some people were slightly disappointed that the restaurant was a five minute walk away. To us this was not a problem. The pleasant walk to the restaurant help give us an appetite and the walk back helped us to digest the 3 courses that we had at each meal!!!

One thing that really took us by suprise was seeing as there were lots of starling type birds (no seagulls whatsoever) there was never any bird mess. Then one morning we came across a young lad on his hands and knees and we got our answer. With a bucket, a brush and a cloth he was wiping up any mess that there may have been. On the entire resort!!! So clean.

If you are wanting a totally relaxing holiday, in a hot location, in a lovely environment surrounded by wonderful staff that will do anythng they can to make you happy, then look no further than Le Royale.

I could sing the praises of Le Royale all day long. It helped make my husband the most relaxed I have ever seen him!!

This will certainly be our destination again for our next holiday. Many, many thanks.

Room Tip: All rooms were fabulous.
1  Thank Kerry G
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Right - I don't know really where to start!!

I think the biggest plus for this Hotel are the staff.
Everyone (front of house - bar staff, pool bar guy and restaurant staff) we met went out of their way to make it a great stay.

On arrival very swift check-in and gorgeous drink in reception before being shown to our room.
I was blown away with the swim- up room, bathroom and patio.
I dipped my toe in the pool and it was heavenly (this was one of the main reasons I chose this hotel at this time of year due to the fact the pools were heated)
Now read on!!

Our 1st day by the Bellagio pool was blissful. Of the 10 rooms, only 3 were occupied and we felt we had the pool to ourselves.
Then on the 2nd day the pool was "freezing".
We were told by Olga this was due to a problem through out Sharm and it was out of their hands.
Hence on day 6 the Byblos pool became warm but no others!! No more swimming for me!!

I agree with previous reviews re no restaurants within Le Royale complex. It really needs to be addressed.
We ate mostly in La Gondola Restaurant and although ALL the staff and chefs were fantastic it became a little repetitive and the eating area indoors we felt had no ambience.
I dressed up every evening only to find many residents in jeans and cardigans (and this was the women!!) and the same gear on night after night!
Okay it was slightly chilly but I took a wrap and we sat beside the gas heaters.

We tried the Indian but I felt the spices were not "cooked out so only went for the one evening.
We also tried The Dome but it was so chaotic we were pleased to step back into the oasis of La Gondola!

Now to tell you of The Spa!!
Once again the staff were brilliant and the massages were fantastic
We opted for a couples package lasting 2 hrs starting with a Hamman, steam roof, jacuzzi and chocolate rub and finally finishing with a massage side by side.

OMG I was certainly not prepared for the basicness (is that a word!!) of the Spa itself!!
We have had several Hamman previously in Turkey and Cyprus so we are not novices to this.
On previous occasion we have walked into the Spa to be met with dimmed lighting, candles lighting our way to the treatment rooms, incense burning and low piped music and the staff appropriately dressed.

Well this was a new one on us!!
The building itself needs to be condemned from the bare electrics in the steam room (I thought I was going to be electrocuted at any time) to the one shower cubicle with hand held shower that I shared with my husband - each of us taking it in turns to sluice each other.
If we had not been in fits of hysterical laughter (actually it was the high-light of our holiday) we would have left immediately (plus I didn't want to offend the staff as they were really proud of everything!)
The Jacuzzi was freezing cold and we couldn't wait to get out as we were both dithering but were too polite to say anything!
Oh and I forgot to mention - when we arrived we were told to strip down to our swimwear and remove our flip flops and then were given their flip flops (obviously left by other guests years ago!! I am a size 6 but the shoes were a size 2 or 3 and hubby was given two Right feet!! I kid you not!! Now that I am reading this I can't believe we stayed!!)

So back to my heading - Would I Go Again - Not Really Sure!!!!

Only if I stay in Le Royale Part and don't have to venture across to the "Other Side"

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for the Bellagio rooms - the balconies have NO sun on them all day. A...
4  Thank TAFSAFHEF
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was to have been a dream holiday for my wife and I for our 25th wedding anniversary. Ok we booked through Secret Escapes so didn't pay the full price thankfully.
The reception staff on arrival told us off for taking our cases into the reception, not a good start, but gave us a refreshing fruit cocktail whilst we filled in the registration forms. The Bell Boy was good and efficient and showed us how everything worked in the room and all but a blown light bulb and no complementary slippers were the only problems. The room itself was just under 5 star, the bed, definitely 5 star,the best sleep I've had in a long time. We had a Belagio Pool Terrace room, the ones to have as you have private access to the heated and quiet Belagio Pool. The only problem was that at this time of year the sun disappears early from the pool and if you have the far end room as we did then the walk to the bar was a little tedious.
The bar staff were very good especially Mohammed, although his humour needs working on. There was even a friendly little mouse that seemed to live behind the Bar, hence we never ate the food prepared there.The staff joked about it saying he was a guest of the hotel and was staying a while with his wife and family, although we found it amusing, others did not.
If you want to eat whilst staying in the Royale, take some comfy shoes to wear for meal times as there are no restaurants in the Royale part, you have to trek past the friendly security guard dressed in his full uniform and sat on his plastic white chair for a full 12 hours, and past the lesser starred accommodation to the eating areas, The Gondola is reserved for Le Royale guests only, however on numerous occasions we were sat with orange wrist banded guests( the 3-4 star lot) who unless spotted by the staff, were left to eat in so called 5 star luxury. I have to complement Waleed the manager of the Gondola, as from our first meeting him, he remembered our names and did a bit of Claire Raynor with us when I was in the bad books with her indoors after staying out at the pool bar one night until 5.00am.
The Beach......
Take up snorkeling before you go. You can paddle out quite a way at knee depth and colourful fish will surround your legs, but take the plunge beyond the discoloured orange buoys and the reef drops away to about 20 feet in places where larger varieties of fish can be seen and also colourful coral still grows. Watch of for the glass bottomed tour boats though, they will run over you given half a chance, all be it very slowly. The sand is very course and if paddling is your game take some wet shoes to wear.
There is a part of the beach, up on the left as you pass the towel station, that is reserved for Le Royale guests, with better sun beds, however you have to be there early to get a bed that is in sunshine at this time of the year. We found it hotter by the beach than by the pool as there was less wind at the beach, and you can stay all day as the beach bar serves unlimited drinks and snacks to you.
Naama Bay is a 15- 20 min walk along the promenade, here you will find countless bars and eateries all at good value prices should you get tired of the Hotel food. Be warned,,,,,, vendors on the loose!!!!. However a polite no thankyou will keep them from dragging you into their establishments. We ate at the Macdonalds where the burgers are probably twice the size they are in the UK and cheaper too. Handbags and watches are the big thing to buy along with the Hubble Bubble Pipes.
We found most of the other English guests great, Iza and his young family especially, you will have to get in touch buddy,facebook, and also Kasper and Scarlett from Holland. There was an massive amount of Russians staying too, some very nice and some not so.
Not really a place for groups of teens to go, not a lot for them to do, more a recharge your batteries type of place.

Would I go back? on reflection, yes more than likely but for longer than the 7 nights we had there. It is a place where you can do as much or as little as you want, but I'd only rate it as 4 star because of the dining arrangements. If they got that sorted then they would be onto a winner.

Rob. Leeds

3  Thank Rob-leedslad
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Le Royale Sharm El Sheikh, a Sonesta Collection Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Rob-leedslad,

Thank you for our detailed review , I am happy you enjoyed your stay despite some small complains about the food , be sure we take every comment from our guests seriously and work on it . We hope to host you again soon at our resort

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Let me start by saying we have been holidaying in Egypt for over 30 years, we went to Sharm 18 years ago when there was practically nothing there. We've travelled the World and stayed in all grades of accommodation and eaten everywhere from grungey cafes in Goa to Gambia and the backstreets of Cairo, to taking tea at the London Ritz or lunch at the London Savoy Grill.

Le Royale Luxury Resort- Lovely comfortable hotel with excellent room service and friendly helpful staff. The peace and quiet during the night was heaven. We can honestly say you could hear a pin drop and with solid marble floors above and either side, this was amazing..That said, to say this is a 5* rated hotel there were three light bulbs missing in our room and a very badly oxidised stained floor tile in the bathroom,which,to be fair, all were replaced in due course.The gardens are also immaculately maintained and in the evening, when illuminated, look magical

The first morning we went to reception to change £200 sterling into Egyptian pounds, they had to send the bell boy out across the carriageway to the Exchange Bureau as they did not have enough change? It took 45 minutes before we got our money. This kind of thing you would expect in a 2* hotel. However, this was trivia and the least of our worries.

Take a look at their own web-page and click on restaurant/dining. It is tanamount to deception the way in which the they have mocked-up their reception area to look like a fine-dining restaurant. The truth is Le Royale don't have a restaurant, except a designated defunked Italian restaurant which they call Le Gondola in the Sonesta Beach Club next door, "specially" designated for guests staying at Le Royale.

The food is practically the same as served in the Citadel restaurant which is next door and for the Sonesta Beach Club guests who have paid much less money. All food cooked in the same kitchen. Mountains of food on offer, but with few takers, the food was all kept on hold for far too long. Consequently, absolutely cooked to death by the time you came to eat it. Most roasts we tried were as dry as a board. All they need to do is cut down the quanity and improve the quality and they've cracked it. We tried time and time again telling them this, the light was on but there was nobody at home. After being there 3 days I spent 2 whole days in bed with serious food poisoning.

At the door entrance to the Le gondola restaurant there is a brass door handle which you need to grab hold of in order to open the door inwards. The World and his wife also touch this same door handle, including waiters who have cleared away every used food plate and cutlery, going in and out constantly. So when you come to eat, your hands are as clean as the dirtiest hands that have touched the door handle before you. We asked if this door could be wedged open, forget hygene but if nothing else from a safety point of view because when you eat outside you have to go inside for hot drinks, salads and sweets and this door only opens inwards. They did concede to opening one half of the double doors after 8.30 pm. "when the flies had gone to bed". Incidentally one of the other restaurants for use by the Sonesta Beach Club guests,The Dome, did have a hand santizer at the entrance, so why not for the 5* Le Royale guests?.

Dirty wine glasses were a regular occurence. However, this paled into insignificance when we watched the waiter use his hands to keep opening the waste-food bin lid with his hands instead of his foot on the foot bar and he then proceed to hold glasses of wine by the neck and serve at your table. We also saw one of the kitchen chefs with sweat beads on the back of his hands carry out a full sliced loaf with his flat bare hands on either end. Why can't they wear hygenic caterig gloves - not everybody toasts their bread?

A couple of mornings there was no hot water urn to make tea and either we had to make do with warm tea out of a coffee jug or wait while the waiter went and sourced some hot water. Due to the low turnover, most of the coffee was tasted stewed. We tried the grilled tomatoes which simply weren't cooked - just char burnt on top.. We tried some fruit salad but what we thought were tinned strawberries turned out to still be frozen, and they still were when you bit into them. One morning we simply got up and left and went next door to the Citadel restaurant where everyhting was "spot on" due to being much busier and having a higher turnover. I would strongly recommend anyone to either use the Citadel or better still The Dome restaurant, where although much busier, I believe much safer and the food a lot fresher. Unfortunately we only tried The Dome restaurant towards the end of our stay, otherwise we would have definitely taken all our meals there.

As time went on we found ourselves simply eating less and less at each meal time. We felt worn out, tired and embarassed at having to continually ask for fresher food from either the restaurant manager or the duty chefs. However, we did come across one or two other guests who were perfectly happy with the food, so I guess it is down to what you are used to back home. Also another big factor was that this hotel is now catering for a very high percentage of every-day Russians, who are quite simply happy to gorge on the food and get paraletic drunk on the free booze and be very loud with it. You cannot escape them, they were everywhere.

In conclusion, we think part of the problem is the "all inclusive" aspect. The hotel is having to provide mountains of food, hence the poor quality and a lot of alcoholic drink to satisfy the Russian contingent. The hotel also has a very high turnover of staff which is concerning and begs the question "why", especially when you consider the high unemployment rate in Egypt. This could also be part of the problem. We certainly do not believe this hotel, overall, deserves the 5* rating it enjoys and the sooner the Sonesta franchise discovers this for themselves, the sooner it will be re-graded.

At the end of the day, you are paying to stay in a 5* hotel at 5* prices but spend all meal times in a 3* mass hotel restaurant with buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and buffet dinner. It would be the easiest thing in the World, with all the catering staff standing around doing very little, to say, have something freshly cooked on the griddle at lunchtime. After a buffet breakfast and a buffet dinner to look forward to, you don't need umpteen choices of overcooked meatballs, steamed-to-death fish or beef goulash with poached cabbage, caulflower chees, steamed vegetables, roast potatoes, dead chips, boiled rice etc etc not to mention soups, pizza, pasta and salads at lunchtime.

As a token gesture of goodwill, we were given a complimentary bottle of wine and also took up their offer of a meal in the a-la-carte Indian restaurant. Everything was hot, freshly cooked and very tasty and a real treat. We enjoyed it very much. If only they could replicate this at lunchtime next door. We were also allowed to keep our room until early evening at no extra charge, due to our late flight home.

There are better resorts and better hotels in the World than this to spend your well earned money. Our best advice to anyone considering a holiday in Sharm and staying at Le Royale is - "don't". The Sonesta St. George in Luxor for example, also 5*, is way, way better than this one and in a totally different league. At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your chances. We couldn't go back to either this resort and definitely not this hotel.

Our thanks finally go to Olga, the Public Relations Manager, for her help and understanding in trying to improve our lot. We wish her well in her unenviable task of bringing about all the much needed, necessary and desperate catering improvements. Sadly, whilst ever you have mass Russian tourists who appear to be in 7th heaven at simply being there, we see little hope of any major improvements/changes.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms would be quieter but the groud floor rooms opening out onto the pools seem more plea...
3  Thank DuaneyDoncaster

Dear DuaneyDoncaster;

I do appreciate taking the time to write such a long and detailed review , we always benefit from our guests opinion and suggestion for a better service at our resort , we will pass on your comments about the food and the restaurant as well as the hygiene issue to the manager and the food and beverage department . We hope to host you again soon

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have just returned after spending Christmas at the Le Royale what a fantastic experience
a total stress buster from start to finish. You will not be disappointed, look forward to being totally
looked after by all the staff.

Room Tip: Swim-up rooms lovely but no sun on terrace
3  Thank 186394Wendy